Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Whatev
Jan 19, 2007

unfading

BioEnchanted posted:

I liked Iron Man 2, but I guess I have a high tolerance for bad movies. I liked the moments with the villain working on his drones, they did well to humanize him. Just loved him with his Dreadlocks tied back into a ponytail with a screwdriver in his mouth and a tiny pair of reading glasses. :3:

Also though it was neat the way he reacted to the bird. Any other movie with that archetype would likely have had him kill the new bird out of a show of force, because it wasn't his bird, but he bonded with it and found himself liking the lil' guy just as much as his original bird. He was a dull character overall but he had moments that I liked.

Literally everything you liked about Iron Man 2's villain was forced into the movie by Mickey Rourke (the actor playing him dingus). The birds, the hair, the tattoos and teeth and his more human scenes - all of it. That's how bad the script was; it contained absolutely none of that. Imagine that character with none of those elements and that was what it was going to be, there but for the grace of Rourke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.

Whatev posted:

Literally everything you liked about Iron Man 2's villain was forced into the movie by Mickey Rourke

That explains why he's all I remember from the move (and Don Cheadle). Granted, I've only seen it once and I was drunk.

edit for content: that reminds me of something stupid that always ticks me off in superhero movies: when a villain could easily be taken down by a police sharpshooter. There's a scene in 'Iron Man 2' where Mickey Rourke is blowing up race cars with an electric whip (not even making this poo poo up), and he's otherwise really non-threatening. He's not wearing a helmet or full armor like Iron Man would. Just shoot him!

'The Flash' TV show is really guilty of this too with Captain Cold and Heatwave.

PizzaProwler has a new favorite as of 05:57 on Mar 25, 2016

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Whatev posted:

Literally everything you liked about Iron Man 2's villain was forced into the movie by Mickey Rourke (the actor playing him dingus). The birds, the hair, the tattoos and teeth and his more human scenes - all of it. That's how bad the script was; it contained absolutely none of that. Imagine that character with none of those elements and that was what it was going to be, there but for the grace of Rourke.

I knew he was played by Mickey Rourke jackass, I didn't know all of that was his idea so thanks for enlightening me.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

FELD1 posted:

That explains why he's all I remember from the move (and Don Cheadle). Granted, I've only seen it once and I was drunk.

edit for content: that reminds me of something stupid that always ticks me off in superhero movies: when a villain could easily be taken down by a police sharpshooter. There's a scene in 'Iron Man 2' where Mickey Rourke is blowing up race cars with an electric whip (not even making this poo poo up), and he's otherwise really non-threatening. He's not wearing a helmet or full armor like Iron Man would. Just shoot him!

How many armed police sharpshooters are there generally at an auto race in Europe?

Keep in mind that Iron Man had his armor on and was fighting him within about three minutes of Whiplash beginning his attack.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Polaron posted:

How many armed police sharpshooters are there generally at an auto race in Europe?

Keep in mind that Iron Man had his armor on and was fighting him within about three minutes of Whiplash beginning his attack.

The point is that he doesn't seem like a real super-threat, and fighting someone lame ends up being like 'no duh he wins'.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

back when i was superman or the police guy or whoever, i had so many snipers on every corner

shame

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

prettty sure i sniped Laxmaster once

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Polaron posted:

I saw armed police at the 2014 German Grand Prix, if that helps.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

He said auto race...

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
All police are terrible shots though. In Spider-Man 2 Doctor Octopus was stealing money from a bank and throwing old ladies around and the police shot at him like 80 times and missed every one. He didn't even have crazy spider sense they just couldn't hit this dude.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

BROCK LESBIAN posted:

All police are terrible shots though. In Spider-Man 2 Doctor Octopus was stealing money from a bank and throwing old ladies around and the police shot at him like 80 times and missed every one. He didn't even have crazy spider sense they just couldn't hit this dude.

It's because he had those shiny robo-limbs. As we know, police bullets are most effective against surfaces with very low albedo.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

My IIMM in Spider-man 2 was every time Spider-man hit Doc Oc. Spidey can lunch through brick walls and Doctor Octopus has no enhanced damage resistance. His arms preventing him from being hit is all he has, so any time a punch gets through it should put him into a coma.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

rydiafan posted:

My IIMM in Spider-man 2 was every time Spider-man hit Doc Oc. Spidey can lunch through brick walls and Doctor Octopus has no enhanced damage resistance. His arms preventing him from being hit is all he has, so any time a punch gets through it should put him into a coma.

There was a dumb comic story where Ock and Peter swapped bodies where this was addressed. Ock gets in a fight in Peter's body and hits someone full force completely disintegrating the guys jawbone, he rips it right off. He then realises, "holy poo poo! Peter could have killed me at any moment. I only had a chance against him because he was the good guy." Peter holds back because he doesn't want to cause severe brain damage or death to a great scientist who, in the movie, was being controlled by his psychotic arms and wasn't evil himself.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

FELD1 posted:

'The Flash' TV show is really guilty of this too with Captain Cold and Heatwave.

One of the main IIMM in Iron Man 2 is that Whiplash is hit WITH A CAR where he has no armor. He's spitting up blood. Dude is straight hosed UP. Yet, like what, 5 hours? later maybe he's ok and in a cell with Tony and Tony is chatting him up like it's no big thing.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
He's Russian. If anything it was too long before he recovered.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

poptart_fairy posted:

He's Russian. If anything it was too long before he recovered.

He didn't have vodka for 4.5 hours

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

It was another acting choice. They hit Mickey Rourke with an actual car and he was just like: Oh! You wanted the character to be injured? Sorry dude, the Styrofoam car was so light... what do you mean it was steel?

That's just what Mickey's like.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

BioEnchanted posted:

There was a dumb comic story where Ock and Peter swapped bodies where this was addressed. Ock gets in a fight in Peter's body and hits someone full force completely disintegrating the guys jawbone, he rips it right off. He then realises, "holy poo poo! Peter could have killed me at any moment. I only had a chance against him because he was the good guy." Peter holds back because he doesn't want to cause severe brain damage or death to a great scientist who, in the movie, was being controlled by his psychotic arms and wasn't evil himself.

Then Peter completely fails to get into his own body and dies to Doc Ock's cancer. Ock runs around as Spider-Man for far too long.

For as much as everyone loves him, most of Spider-Man's major comic plot lines are really, really bad.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Ryoshi posted:

Then Peter completely fails to get into his own body and dies to Doc Ock's cancer. Ock runs around as Spider-Man for far too long.

For as much as everyone loves him, most of Spider-Man's major comic plot lines are really, really bad.

In my head canon, Spidey's history stops just before One More Day.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

A thing I'm enjoying in Legends of Tomorrow so far is Captain Cold's hero complex. He is fixated on his "code", never leaving a member of his crew behind fiercely protective of them. He has a hero complex just as bad as Barry's, his is just applied differently. Although I'm only as far as Project Soviet Firestorm (Episode 3 I think) so don't correct me if that changes later.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Ryoshi posted:

Doc Ock as Spider-Man was great because he'd still spout off supervillain monologues at other heroes and was super condescending to everyone.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Ryoshi posted:

Not so long ago I thought "you know what, it's time I went through the entire run of The Amazing Spider-Man." It didn't work out. The 60s stuff is unreadable at this point, and now I'm jumping ahead in ever larger increments wondering when, if ever, poo poo gets good.

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004

Ryoshi posted:

You know who likes comic books for the plots. Children, and people in their 17th year of being 15.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

I watched Spiderman 3 a few nights ago. Oh my god. :gonk:

No spoilers for this: The jazz routine was simultaneously rapey and tragic. Why was there a jazz routine? I don't know, I don't want to know.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

A White Guy posted:

I watched Spiderman 3 a few nights ago. Oh my god. :gonk:

No spoilers for this: The jazz routine was simultaneously rapey and tragic. Why was there a jazz routine? I don't know, I don't want to know.

I still find it hilarious how Evil Parker just parts his hair in the other direction and starts strutting.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Iron Man 2 would have been a hell of a lot better if Hammer had been portrayed as a real threat. He's supposed to be the #2 weapon guy in the world, just barely behind Tony. Having him be lame and his weapons sucky means Tony is only #1 by default.

Ryoshi posted:

The Iron Jonah arc is fantastic.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I liked Spider-man 3. It's got it's problems but I think everything creepy and embarrassing with the symbiote was supposed to be creepy and embarrassing.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

Tunicate posted:

The Iron Jonah arc is fantastic.

I agree. and like how apparently Iron Man's mask has an LCD screen in it that Tony never uses, but Jonah puts it to the best possible use.

As for The Spidey 3 Jazz Routine, I heard that it was supposed to be 'Peter Parker wants to be a cool guy, so the symbiote makes him what a complete dork like Peter Parker thinks is a cool guy'

But of course, it didn't come off that way.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

Tunicate posted:

Iron Man 2 would have been a hell of a lot better if Hammer had been portrayed as a real threat. He's supposed to be the #2 weapon guy in the world, just barely behind Tony. Having him be lame and his weapons sucky means Tony is only #1 by default.

Iron Man 2 kinda pisses me off because you can tell there was originally a good movie there. Stark learning that his father may have stolen Whiplash's father's tech and screwed him out of everything would have made for a very powerful story and given the villain a ton of weight since he would have had a legit reason for hating Tony's guts. But instead it all got handwaved so that they could cram in more Avengers set-ups.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I'll be honest. I never really liked any of the stand-alone Iron Man movies

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I dislike Iron-man 3 because of the Mandarin thing. Instead of using him to build on Tony's fears, they went for cheap twist.

In BvS one thing that stood out to me is Lex Luthor has group of PMC's that frame Superman which could have been a good basis for a story but that's another story. Anyway the frame Superman but they use bullets and not only do they use bullets but they use special bullets made by Lex Luthor. Why? Why have any way for that to be traced back to you? It just made no sense like a lot of things in the movie.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.

oldpainless posted:

I'll be honest. I never really liked any of the stand-alone Iron Man movies

Same here. Having an unlikable protagonist works sometimes, but not for me in these cases.

My previously mentioned IIMM about Whiplash at the race not being shot is probably most irritating to me because as an American, I just assume at least half of the audience of a racing event would be armed. Just imagine trying to pull that poo poo at Daytona.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
When they were shooting whatever that Will Ferrell nascar movie was where he was Ricky Bobby, when they were filming the introduction of the french guy (again, horrible with names, can't remember it) the crowd at the stadium just started booing without any direction needed from anyone.

They were not expecting that.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
So my mom, who overall doesn't like superhero movies, is wanting to see Deadpool because of who plays him. Fine with me, I want to see it too. So to, somehow, show me what a great actor this guy is, she throws on a movie with him and Sandra Bullock called The Proposal. And it's the most poo poo movie ever, where Sandra is some Canadian publisher or businesswoman (everyone in her office hates her but she's the boss and a huge oval office to everyone) on a green card working in the US, and her card gets called and she has to go back. So she demands the guy marry her because then she can stay in the US. He doesn't want to, she says he is fired otherwise, he tells his parents he's engaged, and she has to go meet the family in some whacky comedy where she, of course, makes everyone fall in love with how awkward and cute she is. But the basis of the movie is that somehow they fall in love and really get married.

Okay whatever. But switch the genders and it's a male boss telling his female subordinate she is going to marry him or get fired, and he is forced to meet her family who totally loves him despite him being a horrible control freak, and it comes off super creepy and rapey.

Oh, and can't forget all the funny sexual stuff in the movie, like where the two leads stumble naked over each other and it's all so quirky and funny and this is not loving a good movie!

It's not a romantic comedy if you flip the genders and it reads like 50 Shades of Grey!

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
It's a pretty bad movie, but I don't think the threat was being fired per se. It was that as her personal assistant, her getting kicked out of the country would also mess up his career.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Ryan Reynolds has never made a good movie.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Crowetron posted:

Ryan Reynolds has never made a good movie.

Blade Trinity begs to differ

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

that post-college slacker movie with the doughy lead where reynolds is his roommate is super good. i wanna say from like 2-3 years after two guys & a girl ended.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Something that kind of bugged me about the movie Argo was for the scene with the read through of the fake movie the knock off robot was wearing this generic robot suit that was used in the parody show NTSF:SD:SUV, also a commercial for Loot Crate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Cowslips Warren posted:

So my mom, who overall doesn't like superhero movies, is wanting to see Deadpool because of who plays him. Fine with me, I want to see it too. So to, somehow, show me what a great actor this guy is, she throws on a movie with him and Sandra Bullock called The Proposal. And it's the most poo poo movie ever, where Sandra is some Canadian publisher or businesswoman (everyone in her office hates her but she's the boss and a huge oval office to everyone) on a green card working in the US, and her card gets called and she has to go back. So she demands the guy marry her because then she can stay in the US. He doesn't want to, she says he is fired otherwise, he tells his parents he's engaged, and she has to go meet the family in some whacky comedy where she, of course, makes everyone fall in love with how awkward and cute she is. But the basis of the movie is that somehow they fall in love and really get married.

Okay whatever. But switch the genders and it's a male boss telling his female subordinate she is going to marry him or get fired, and he is forced to meet her family who totally loves him despite him being a horrible control freak, and it comes off super creepy and rapey.

Oh, and can't forget all the funny sexual stuff in the movie, like where the two leads stumble naked over each other and it's all so quirky and funny and this is not loving a good movie!

It's not a romantic comedy if you flip the genders and it reads like 50 Shades of Grey!

You can probably do this with just about any romantic comedy. I think my favorite example is the movie 40 Days and 40 Nights where the main guy gets raped and his girlfriend's reaction is basically "YOU CHEATED ON ME????":byodame: