Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
The charisma check is only if she'll help you for free. The medallion is only so you can move about the back rooms without hostility from the 2 guards and their captain. I actually forgot what you're supposed to say when you have the medallion to avoid violence though, so just kill all 3 of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.

Dillbag posted:

I'm pretty sure I've prepped for that fight for long enough that the shadow dragon noticed me through the wardstone. There was a dialog from the dragon along the lines of "you're an idiot for hanging around so long, you should have known I'd eventually notice you" and I definitely didn't have SCS installed.
I looked him up in NI. He only has the one bit of dialogue, for which the triggers are
!PartyHasItem("MISC6P") // Shadow Dragon Wardstone
AttackedBy([ANYONE],DEFAULT)

Either way, that dialogue is just the default "You idiots, I'm killing you now."
How amusing that you petty fleshlings would dare disturb the slumber of the Shadow Dragon? Are you daft? Blind? Whatever, I shall tear your bodies apart and feast on your innards while you whimper and cry for mercy.

So I'm fairly sure that whatever it's doing in your case is a mod.

Dillbag posted:

Or tall to the girl on the far eastern side of the map on the second level and deal with her problems. One of the NPCs involved in the quest will have a medallion in his corpse.

I believe you can also tell the female courtesan you're there to kill the madam and she's like "Cool, she's a bitch. I'll let you in" but that may be depend on charisma.
If you're of their preferred gender, then there's a Charisma check of 15 or greater to see if they'll tell you about Claire for free. Once you know about Claire, by paying or by persuading, then you only have to choose the right dialogue to get them to bring you in: say that you'll kill Galvena, not just talk to her.

Sleep of Bronze fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Mar 25, 2016

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Suspicious posted:

Why didn't you talk to the female courtesan that was standing nearby?

:thejoke:

I was going to kill them anyway.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
You have to admit it's hard to tell a joke from your usual clueless posts.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.
Sorcerers
(3e PHB, PO: Spells and Magic, Spellbound)

For once, a pretty uncomplicated transition. The Sorcerer isn't a total innovation, even within DnD, but this is a very clear case of just taking the 3e class and slapping it into the game without very many changes. Not that there's a lot to change, because the Sorcerer's class feature list beyond 'casts spells' is limited to say the least. The only things that went unimplemented are bonus spells for high charisma, and the possibility of expending a higher level slot to cast a lower level spell, just in case you really needed to cast Stoneskin again and had run out of your fourth level slots, but not your fifth.

Dynaheir, of all NPCs, probably gets closest to being a Sorcerer under the native 2e rule system. Witches of Rasheman, while in Rasheman get to do spontaneous casting just like the 3e class. It's a neat quirk, meant to be a counterbalance in lore to the Red Wizards' spell circles. There's also a peculiar variety of spellcasting in Player's Option: Spells and Magic, which lets you kind of mix and match Vancian casting and sorcery: memorise some spells normally, but leave other slots floating free so you can jam a spell into them as you like, albeit with more effort. They're balanced by taking real effort to cast spells, which can leave the wizard physically exhausted or even dead if they strain too hard, along the lines of lots of pulp fantasy magic. I really like the look of it, but I suspect it's either unplayable in practice or brutally OP, just because it's from a Player's Option book.

And we're done with the kitless classes, so I can move back to the normal ones. I'll put off having to explain 2e divine casting for a while, so probably thieves next.

Sleep of Bronze fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Mar 25, 2016

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Woolie Wool posted:

Well I tried getting into the festhall by being a customer, but the game won't let my male PCs buy services from a male prostitute so I'm going to express my outrage at this discrimination by killing everybody.

E: well the guards and madam anyway, I let the prostitutes go.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Note to self: be quicker when removing Wyvern poison, it hurts.

Sitting here is a much safer grinding position than the Flesh Golem cave if you have a ranged weapon, for anyone who gives a poo poo about that kind of thing.

In BG2 (when I normally get to level 5 divine spells), Greater Command is pretty worthless. Maybe it'll be good in BG1?

Oh year, it also affects me. Back to Righteous Magic we go!

On to Baldur's Gate!

insanityv2
May 15, 2011

I'm gay
Jesus Christ Dorn is such a loving dork and convos with him

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
Dorn is legitimately worse than the majority of mod characters I've played.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
What should I spend all my dough on in BG1? I just got out of Nashkel and back to Beregost, and Khalid, Imoen and Minsc are lvl 4.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Wizard Styles posted:

Let me ask this, what's exactly your position on naked wrestling?

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

DJ Dizzy posted:

What should I spend all my dough on in BG1? I just got out of Nashkel and back to Beregost, and Khalid, Imoen and Minsc are lvl 4.
Depends kinda, but most good stuff is sold in High Hedge, so check that out.
Wands and potions are very powerful in BG1.

Angry Lobster posted:

Let me ask this, what's exactly your position on naked wrestling?
I have a high opinion of it, as do all good people, but not anywhere near high enough to make up for the rest. Unfortunately.

e: Wait, I don't remember, is that a direct quote?

Wizard Styles fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Mar 26, 2016

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

DJ Dizzy posted:

+1 or +2 arrows. The more ranged DPS you have, the better. At level 5-6 you can transition your toughest front-liners to melee. Towards the end of the game I bought 1000 +2 arrows and did not regret it.

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Mar 26, 2016

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Huh. I've just been hoarding potions like a maniac, and have had minsc, jaheira and khalid at the frontline every time. Buying +1 or +2 arrows does seem to get expensive over time though.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Wizard Styles posted:

Yes but I put up with a lot for sweet sweet 19 star

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

For roleplaying reasons I've always imagined that my character's responses are different words with same tone and general content, but not even that can salvage those lines.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

DJ Dizzy posted:

Huh. I've just been hoarding potions like a maniac, and have had minsc, jaheira and khalid at the frontline every time. Buying +1 or +2 arrows does seem to get expensive over time though.
Well, you should hoard potions to some degree, but you can solve a lot of problems up until the midgame by just throwing magic molotovs at them.
And a lot of other things kind of depend on your party. All the ones you mentioned get their best weapons as loot drops throughout the game (and there aren't that many good weapons for sale to begin with).

I generally buy a wand and some potions, but otherwise just save up for the really expensive items. Obviously I'll buy good spell scrolls, and some ammo for hard fights, but mostly I wait until my reputation is high and I have the money for Archmage Robes, Claw of Kazgaroth etc.

Also, I forgot to mention, but a lot of the better higher level gear is sold in Ulgoth's Beard. Once you have over 10k or so you may want to go there.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Neutral or evil mages can kill Baeloth (evil) or the wizard on the werewolf island (neutral) and get archmage robes for free,

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Wizard Styles posted:

Well, you should hoard potions to some degree, but you can solve a lot of problems up until the midgame by just throwing magic molotovs at them.
And a lot of other things kind of depend on your party. All the ones you mentioned get their best weapons as loot drops throughout the game (and there aren't that many good weapons for sale to begin with).

I may have missed a couple of them already v0v. The only magical weapons I got rocking around right now is a shortbow +1 for Imoen, that cold +2 longsword for khalid, a 1+ sling for myself, and a 1+ QS for Jaheira.

insanityv2
May 15, 2011

I'm gay
Is the naked wrestling thing from his romance? Im morbidly curious. Also DJ Dizzy, theres some high end magical items sold by the innkeeper in Ulgoths Beard if you really have a problem with gold burning a hole in ur pockets.

Metal Meltdown
Mar 27, 2010

One super useful item to buy is arrows of dispelling. There are only a few in the game, but even one can solve some serious headaches.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

DJ Dizzy posted:

I may have missed a couple of them already v0v. The only magical weapons I got rocking around right now is a shortbow +1 for Imoen, that cold +2 longsword for khalid, a 1+ sling for myself, and a 1+ QS for Jaheira.
I can think of a 2h sword +1 for Minsc in one of the eastern areas, but that's about it. You'll get a really good one in the Cloakwood.

insanityv2 posted:

Is the naked wrestling thing from his romance? Im morbidly curious.
Oh yes, it is. Dorn's romance is incredible. Dorn's BG2 content in general is some bizarre poo poo.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Man, this drow armor is incredible. I'm going to miss it when it's gone.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

The cool thing about Dorn and Rasaad is that you can continually clown them in dialogue.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Coran or Imoen?

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
If you don't dual-class Imoen to Mage, Coran is a straight upgrade, although I think he isn't great with traps.
(If you dual-class Imoen, Coran is a good option to take along while she's regaining her Thief skills.)

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

What's the point of story mode. I just wanted to zoom through bg 1 on cruise control to get a save ready for Siege of Dragonspear and the lack of any challenge at all just puts me to sleep. Even if you have never played before and want to experience the story I don't get it.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
Just finished my ironman run of BG1 with a solo F/M/T, had a lot of trouble in a few spots, and I feared I would fail the duchal palace fight (so I cheesed it) but the Sarevok fight has been the easiest one in my life, wand abuse is a hell of a thing. Now, to BG2.

Any tips on weapons/proficiences? I'm aiming for completing ToB too, I'm thinking putting points in dual wield and katanas/flails, for the celestial fury and flail of ages, and short bows for ranged weapons, any suggestions?

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

cheesetriangles posted:

What's the point of story mode. I just wanted to zoom through bg 1 on cruise control to get a save ready for Siege of Dragonspear and the lack of any challenge at all just puts me to sleep. Even if you have never played before and want to experience the story I don't get it.

Beamdog were too lazy to do a proper "casual mode" and instead just took easy mode and gave you IDDQD, 25 STR, and hilarious thac0 bonuses.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Angry Lobster posted:

Just finished my ironman run of BG1 with a solo F/M/T, had a lot of trouble in a few spots, and I feared I would fail the duchal palace fight (so I cheesed it) but the Sarevok fight has been the easiest one in my life, wand abuse is a hell of a thing. Now, to BG2.

Any tips on weapons/proficiences? I'm aiming for completing ToB too, I'm thinking putting points in dual wield and katanas/flails, for the celestial fury and flail of ages, and short bows for ranged weapons, any suggestions?

Let me tell you about the hammer of thunderbolts.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

cheesetriangles posted:

Why are you complaining about something specifically designed to have zero challenge having zero challenge?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Although BG1 is not a game you should play for the story (neither's BG2, really)

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Wizard Styles posted:

If you don't dual-class Imoen to Mage, Coran is a straight upgrade, although I think he isn't great with traps.
(If you dual-class Imoen, Coran is a good option to take along while she's regaining her Thief skills.)

What leve can I dualclass imoen?

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Why are you complaining about something specifically designed to have zero challenge having zero challenge?

I think my problem isn't that it has zero challenge it's who would actually want to just play the story?

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

I liked Story Mode when doing IWD for a kinda fast forward setting after I went through the first chapter or so and then decided I actually wanted a different party.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Angry Lobster posted:

Azuredge solves many problems, I'd go for axes over bows.

There are also short swords and scimitars/ninja-tos to consider for extra attacks.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

DJ Dizzy posted:

What leve can I dualclass imoen?
Whenever you're satisfied with her Thief skills. There's not much of a point to leveling anything beyond getting 100 in both Open Locks and Find/Disarm Traps.

e: Level 7 at the latest, though.

Wizard Styles fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Mar 26, 2016

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

cheesetriangles posted:

Let me tell you about the hammer of thunderbolts.

Crom faeyr? I love it, but not for this build.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Although BG1 is not a game you should play for the story (neither's BG2, really)

Agreed, but Bg1 story is so meh, I dislike how a ton of exposition and plot is done by reading stupid letters.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Angry Lobster posted:

Agreed, but Bg1 story is so meh, I dislike how a ton of exposition and plot is done by reading stupid letters.
I really like that you follow the trail back all the way and uncover the plot behind the iron crisis on your own, but yeah the way that actually happens in the game is kinda like..."Oh hey, another chest with a letter in it that'll unlock the next plot area.".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

And said letters disappear from the plot when you get busted for killing the Iron Throne leaders. Evidence? What evidence?