Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

The "use the vampire as a walking blood bank" is part of the reason i tend to pick the cleric and the witch as side line buddies. I really should give this another go with a more varied party.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

Chokes McGee posted:

Yeah. If you look at the stills, you can see the padlocks on the chains. It's literally a callback to the ghost of Jacob Marley from A Christmas Carol, although I'm pretty sure it was part of legend before then. It's neat!

I'm just going to imagine that the chains have big metal lockboxes on the ends and Ziggy's using those to brain his opponents.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
You can leave the dungeon and rest at any point and what's dead stays dead, so healing isn't critical as much as being able to control a fight with status effects etc. Even on bosses I felt like the witch's strong suit was the utility outside of the heals - blind, poison, arcane fire etc were used more often than a heal spell. Restore defense is more powerful than her healing.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Yeah, I end up using Witch as a DoT dealer and secondary heal.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I suppose it is useful to have a debuffer now that the enemy buffs are starting to come out.

I imagine if buffs are SMT-useful it's also fairly easy to get them on any given party member.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.

Robindaybird posted:

Yeah, I end up using Witch as a DoT dealer and secondary heal.

Which is sadly why the Dryad is better than the witch. Dryad gets all of the witch's spells AND another dot. The rarest form of dot too. And it's enemy all AND does decent damage to boot. I've also never seen it fail barring a miss.

It's a stupidly strong spell.

Poor Willow.

citybeatnik posted:

The "use the vampire as a walking blood bank" is part of the reason i tend to pick the cleric and the witch as side line buddies. I really should give this another go with a more varied party.

The puppet can also do blood bank duty if you wish.

mauman fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Mar 25, 2016

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

why-

I am inside you now

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

For the longest time I was seeing the puppet as a skeleton with hair. Took me a while to finally see his nose and correctly parse the picture.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

mauman posted:

Which is sadly why the Dryad is better than the witch. Dryad gets all of the witch's spells AND another dot. The rarest form of dot too. And it's enemy all AND does decent damage to boot. I've also never seen it fail barring a miss.

Poor Willow.
First the peasants with their duck, then the whole summoned and trapped in the book thing and now this. :(

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Poil posted:

First the peasants with their duck, then the whole summoned and trapped in the book thing and now this. :(

Well, that explains how she and the Dryad got together in the first place.

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer

HardDisk posted:

For the longest time I was seeing the puppet as a skeleton with hair. Took me a while to finally see his nose and correctly parse the picture.

Same, until I read your post and went back to try and see it your way. Now . . . I can't see the skeleton at all even when I try.

What the heck brain.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Thread's still active, I just need work to stop sucking my soul out of my eyeballs so I have the energy to write.

Just so you guys know!

Danakir
Feb 10, 2014
Have you considered becoming independently wealthy as an alternative to gainful employment?

(In all seriousness, can't wait to read more. Hope work stops kicking your butt soon.)

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

If nothing else, you're in the right thread for souls to be sucked out via eyeballs.

Shiva Asori
Mar 5, 2010

mauman posted:

Poor Willow.

Not quite, Dryad gets most of the witches spells, among the ones she doesn't get are curse of the weak, curse of the fool and witchfire.
Dryad still easily makes up for it with her AOE DoT.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Shiva Asori posted:

Not quite, Dryad gets most of the witches spells, among the ones she doesn't get are curse of the weak, curse of the fool and witchfire.
Dryad still easily makes up for it with her AOE DoT.

Forgot about witchfire, that is an ok spell

Those other two are meh.

I guess for argument's sake you could also mention she technically gets a different basic cold spell too. Not that there's any real difference between the two spells.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Canto III, Stanza 2: Black Ninja Style

:yikes: (Supplies. Keep Out.)

Keep out? More like :getin:

I don't get it. What are they stashing in here that they need to keep people out?

Oh.

That's a good color on you, mate.

I know. Matches my eyes.

One of them, anyway.

Why are we not looting? We're not looting! Loot more!

This looks like something could use!

Great, let me just take a hey wait a minute

*snicker*

:shivdurf: In order to prevent a particularly powerful magical being from using its powers, the book removes the memories of the sealed being, thus making it unable to use magic to escape.

That explains why I can't remember where my coven is!

Or why I can't remember Italian.

Or why I can't remember all the badass fights I've been in!

...then how do you know they happened?

Look at these horns. How could they not have?

You guys hear that?

Remember your training, men! Stand in the most open spots in the room and form a line in front of the door!

It's like they want us to kill them.

I'm honestly not convinced they don't.

Ehn, we can roll those mooks later. I want to know what other kind of magical bullshit we can steal down here.

Who puts a helmet in an ashtray?

They're ashtrays? I thought they were vases.

With that design pattern, they might as well be ashtrays.

Oho!

Alright, time to find one of those stupid rings.

Seriously, why don't they just put a doorknob here? It's not like anyone breaks out all that often, and the guards already know they're here.

I can't imagine it's easy for the guards, either. Why would you have to open a door from across the entire floor? Wouldn't you just have to walk back to it?

I learned a long time ago that figuring out any of those idiots is a good way to give yourself an anyeurism. Fry 'em and move on, that's what I say.

It's a pretty good approach to life in general.

You shouldn't be in this room! Get out!

Wait. Wait wait wait. Four bad guys bust into your lab, wearing heavily enchanted armor and armed to the teeth, and instead of screaming for help, your first reaction is you shouldn't be in here? The hell are you hiding?

What the—is that a distillery on the table?

Looks like some mighty fine 'shine to me.

You've seen too much

Sometimes, you won't be warned about upcoming fights. You won't see a black cloud; you'll just trip an invisible condition, and the fight will begin out of nowhere. At first, these fights trigger based on obvious transitions, i.e. walking into certain rooms. Later on, it's just "gently caress you have a fight."

Level 10 Wizards are (not surprisingly) far more dangerous than Hedge Mages. Their AoE spells pack a wallop and can punch through compromised Defense to put a serious hurting on us. Fortunately, this particular wizard is A) by himself, B) not wearing anything except robes, and C) tremendously hosed.

:bustem:

drat, they spiked this one with apples and cinnamon.

You can do that?!

Oh honey, we have so many things to show you.

Figures. You ask for one ring and get a room full of them.

Embarassment of riches, love.

Apparently. Well, hop to it, guys.

You can't be serious.

Hey, those rings aren't gonna pull themselves!

No dice, boss.

This doesn't make any sense. Pull ring, open door. That's how this whole thing works!

You know, it's a called a secret door for a reason.

No, you did it wrong! Go pull them all again!

No.

Argh

*leans against wall*

Well, I'm glad someone around here knows what the gently caress he's doing!

Seriously, you are such a brown-noser.

I can't help bein' awesome. It's how I was put together.

This one's very tricky and hiding in plain sight. The ring blends into the pattern on the wall, and if you don't think that's on purpose, then I don't know what to tell you. Compounding that is the fact there are no less than six dummy rings, and they're all purposefully contrasted with the dark backgrounds to draw your attention away from the real one. It's drat near devious.

Guess who, shitbag!

Yes! The stone!

Mwaaaaahahahahaha

Wow. It's been a while since I've heard you let out a good "mwahaha."

Gotta say, it feels pretty good.

And just what do we have here?

:allears:

Dibs!

Oh gently caress no. This one's mine.

So who gets your darksteel sword?

:smug:

God dammit. Why can't I just dual-wield this poo poo? That Gandalf rear end in a top hat can duel-wield! He even gets to come back from the dead! And he's more powerful afterwards!

He gets a second form? Are we sure he's not one of ours?

Pretty sure. I mean, he fought Sauron.

Oh, don't even get me started on that prick. Ooh, ooh, look at me! I can manifest as a flaming eye! Jackass.

Jealous, love?

gently caress you don't talk back to me minion

Well, I'm just going to equip this staff now.

And that Werdna idiot! He's full of poo poo, too!

This'll go on for a bit. You'll probably want to plug your ears or something.

I don't have ears. I'm noncorporeal.

Sucks to be you, then.

The Unrepentant Staff is another perma-drop, as are most big ticket items that you'll find in hidden rooms. If the darksteel longsword we found (as a random drop) wasn't so incredible, this would instantly go to the Sorceror. Since Willow is the only other staff user in the game, she might as well take advantage of the incredible stat boosts.

Alright, I count six of 'em by the sound of their boots.

That's... quite a lot of guards.

No sweat, you guys. I have a plan.

Say hello to my little friend

Yeah that's right, let's see Mangar do that poo poo

This fight is a moderate step up in difficulty; the squire and men at arms are mostly cannon fodder, so the three Level 10 Men at Arms are the only worries. Once again, tactics make life easier. We know there's an ambush coming, so we slot in the Killer Puppet, who immediately threshes through most of their armor and HP. Is it still an ambush if you know it's coming? These are the koans presented to us by Paper Sorcerer.

Anyway, Power Swing's damage is expectedly massive, and we easily clean up the rest of them afterwards. If I wanted to be really mean, I'd cast Dirge of Frailty before power swing. :twisted: But, I opted for Dirge of Weakness to prevent damage instead.

I love love love how the party members play off each other in this game. It's like you get brand new guys just by swapping a few summons in and out.

That's a far out mannequinn, man. How'd you get him here?

I'm a necromancer, Zig. I can summon and banish monsters whenever I feel like it.

Where'd you send Willow, then?

The hell should I know? She's probably out shopping or something.

And Vlad?

quote:

*huddles in corner* He's not invisible. He's gone now. I'm safe. H-he's not invisible.

What about him?

Ehn, just thought I'd ask.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

I have to admit, there's an item I really really hope you find (that randomly spawns in this particular set of blocks).

It's going to be great if you do find it.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

mauman posted:

I have to admit, there's an item I really really hope you find (that randomly spawns in this particular set of blocks).

It's going to be great if you do find it.

I've already completed the playthrough on this block, and I'll assume I didn't since nothing made me go :aaa: outside the special drops.

That being said, don't spoil it until we at least get to Myles.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Chokes McGee posted:

I've already completed the playthrough on this block, and I'll assume I didn't since nothing made me go :aaa: outside the special drops.

That being said, don't spoil it until we at least get to Myles.

No worries. I think the next block uses the same list for potential random loot.

Hopefully, you get it on the next one.

mauman fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Apr 1, 2016

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
So uh is there anyone out there still reading other than mauman? I get the feeling my absence due to work has killed the thread :(

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

I'm still reading! There just wasn't all that much for me to comment on in this particular update, I'm bad at that in general. Don't be disheartened, LP is full of lurkers.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Chokes McGee posted:

So uh is there anyone out there still reading other than mauman? I get the feeling my absence due to work has killed the thread :(

I'm still here! I'd never pass up a Chokes thread, and I'm as patient as need be. Just, y'know, not much to add to the discussion.

FisheyStix
Jul 2, 2008

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
I'm reading! I'm reading!! Aaaaaaaa! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

The puppet scares me, especially since it may or may not be invisible.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

reading, but not much to comment on at the moment aside from you lucky son of a bitch.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
I'm happily reading as well, just waiting for bigger things to happen, so to say.

Danakir
Feb 10, 2014
Add me to the reading pile, I'm just terrible at commenting. Still loving your writing style though.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

KataraniSword posted:

I'm still here! I'd never pass up a Chokes thread, and I'm as patient as need be. Just, y'know, not much to add to the discussion.

Same.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Chokes McGee posted:

April Fools! I'm still here :v:

Not a whole lot to mention early on, things are pretty tame.

Double Plus Undead
Dec 24, 2010
Yeah I'm reading but I have nothing to add.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Okay cool! Well it should be another three years before the next update so

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Chokes McGee posted:

Don't steal my Just Cause 2 gimmick.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Hey, heads up. I'm about to unleash my rage.

Still here Chokes. Was them announcing the ambush ACTUALLY in the game? I can't honestly tell when it comes to this.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Chokes McGee posted:

Ok, I'll be sure to check back again in 3 years when this shows up in my bookmarks!

Danakir
Feb 10, 2014
Still better than that Sakura Taisen thread that comes back from its deep coma only when the stars align and the Old Ones wake.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Seeing the Ghost in action makes me regret taking the Shadow :(

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I made something terrible to prove I still I read, and enjoy, this lp.

Is she weighs as much as a duck...

Here we go again.

She is a witch...

?

And therefore... made of wood! :swoon:

Sure, why not?

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
I'm still around. Haven't played the game in a while though, so you're now further than me (not by all that much, though).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geomancing
Jan 8, 2004

I am not an egghead. I am well-read.
Also reading, and enjoying! I think this is about as far as I got in my playthrough; I ran into difficulties against upcoming bosses and was nowhere near as lucky as you with drops. Also I didn't pay much attention to synergy between party members, so 'punch it in the face' isn't a viable tactic for long.

• Locked thread