Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JollyPubJerk
Nov 10, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You skate circles, not laps, if you want to work on conditioning+technique

Most new players aren't going to get better unless they skate circles like all kids do in youth leagues for years. It lowers your stance and helps you learn to cross better than anything. This is usually the wall that most adult-beginners never cross because they don't skate circles before their games.

Go skate circles. Once you think you've got it forward, do it backwards, then face the flag. Then do it again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

5 circle drill until you fall because you are too tired and lose an edge worked for me

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Half circles to keep the speed up, then do Minnesota Wisconsin until someone barfs.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Chemmy posted:

do Minnesota Wisconsin until someone barfs.
Is this just yelling NO I'M BETTER AT HOCKEY back and forth with a partner?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Pretty sure it's building a shed on the ice and getting drunk inside it.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Pleads posted:

Is this just yelling NO I'M BETTER AT HOCKEY back and forth with a partner?

Start in a corner. Skate to the face off dot by the blue line. Hockey stop. Hard to the crease. Hockey stop. Hard to the other high face off dot. Hockey stop. Other corner, hockey stop. Hard down to the other corner. Repeat on the far side.

Draws an "M" and a "W" on the ice.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
Awww man, just found out my d partner fractured his scapula near the end of the game last night. Been on the same line all season and now he's gonna be out for a pretty decent bit. I feel bad for the guy. :smith:

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Chemmy posted:

Start in a corner. Skate to the face off dot by the blue line. Hockey stop. Hard to the crease. Hockey stop. Hard to the other high face off dot. Hockey stop. Other corner, hockey stop. Hard down to the other corner. Repeat on the far side.

Chemmy posted:

Never actually did that. We just skated lines. Either Goaline-redline-blue line-blue line-redline-goal line.

Or if we were being punished. Goal line - blue line - goal line - red line - goal line - blue line - goal line - goal line.

Then do it facing one side of the rink so forwards and backwards. And only stopping facing one way.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

xzzy posted:

Pretty sure it's building a shed on the ice and getting drunk inside it.

and just like that you take a big step forward

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

Chemmy posted:

Half circles to keep the speed up, then do Minnesota Wisconsin until someone barfs.

After that, you should be able to do circles so tight you literally spin in place.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1urxZeUtRs

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Duke Chin posted:

Awww man, just found out my d partner fractured his scapula near the end of the game last night. Been on the same line all season and now he's gonna be out for a pretty decent bit. I feel bad for the guy. :smith:

How do you fracture a scapula? Hard fall or somethign? Wow, I've never heard of that before.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Just found out a guy who plays at my rink collapsed and died mid-game last month. Dude was only 38, really sad: http://www.thespec.com/sports-story/6401781-friends-rally-for-hamilton-dad-who-died-after-collapsing-on-ice-during-hockey-game/

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Dying is a bummer, but if I was going to do it suddenly doing it during a game of hockey doesn't seem that bad. Better than wasting away in hospice at least.

Wooty
Dec 21, 2002

Chemmy posted:

In Socal we call those "doing flyovers"

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

There's a couple guys that come to pickup that are in their late 60s and they've both said that they wouldn't mind dying on the ice... I mean I guess it's better than a hospital bed.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

How do you fracture a scapula? Hard fall or somethign? Wow, I've never heard of that before.

I didn't see exactly what happened cause I had my back to him at the time but on the bench he said he did the classic heels-out backwards fall and landed weird. I thought at first he might have done the usual land-backwards-on-your-elbows-and-jam-your-shoulders-up thing. He sat out the last 4 minutes and in the locker room he was clearly having to take a sec to get his shoulder pads off. Went to the doc yesterday and got the verdict; might still yet have to have surgery.

prom candy posted:

Just found out a guy who plays at my rink collapsed and died mid-game last month. Dude was only 38, really sad: http://www.thespec.com/sports-story/6401781-friends-rally-for-hamilton-dad-who-died-after-collapsing-on-ice-during-hockey-game/

Wow, drat. :smith:

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Stenhouse? Nah. It's Ricky Roundhouse now.

D C posted:

Never actually did that. We just skated lines. Either Goaline-redline-blue line-blue line-redline-goal line.

Or if we were being punished. Goal line - blue line - goal line - red line - goal line - blue line - goal line - goal line.

Then do it facing one side of the rink so forwards and backwards. And only stopping facing one way.

We had to do suicides like that all the time which I say didn't really gain us anything but coaches gonna coach, skaters gonna skate. One set of sprints that actually was good for us was just in the neutral zone, half the team on one blue line half on the other and just skate blue line to center line, blue line center line for like 30 seconds or so. Those short bursts is what you use the most so practicing them made sense to me. We used to also do the stopping facing one direction thing but that is to ensure you are using your edges equally, so you don't develop a bad habit of always stopping on the same side.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

xzzy posted:

Dying is a bummer, but if I was going to do it suddenly doing it during a game of hockey doesn't seem that bad. Better than wasting away in hospice at least.

Dying suddenly on the ice is a loving sweet way to go if you're 85, but it's pure poo poo at 38.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

bigbillystyle posted:

We had to do suicides like that all the time which I say didn't really gain us anything but coaches gonna coach, skaters gonna skate. One set of sprints that actually was good for us was just in the neutral zone, half the team on one blue line half on the other and just skate blue line to center line, blue line center line for like 30 seconds or so. Those short bursts is what you use the most so practicing them made sense to me. We used to also do the stopping facing one direction thing but that is to ensure you are using your edges equally, so you don't develop a bad habit of always stopping on the same side.

Something i've been doing off the ice to increase my power is to load up what is basically a metal frame with weights and just push it as hard and fast as I can across the local gym. It seems to be adding to my short burst power and i'm so used to expecting resistance that I have to dial it back or i'll jump off the ice.

Something our coach makes us do which I don't understand is alternate going down onto one knee on each whistle and standing up again while we're at speed, although I suppose it might help if I lose my footing in a game, maybe? I'm not sure.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

A great balance exercise

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

dogstile posted:

Something our coach makes us do which I don't understand is alternate going down onto one knee on each whistle and standing up again while we're at speed, although I suppose it might help if I lose my footing in a game, maybe? I'm not sure.

Prepping you for a sick celly after a goal.

Zip!
Aug 14, 2008

Keep on pushing
little buddy

Yeah as mentioned, a great balance exercise. The other ones we have the juniors do are skate up to the blue line, do a belly slide and recover back to feet quickly and the same thing where we have them drop onto their knees and recover quickly. You're going to fall, trip and stumble during a game so being able to get back up on your feet and back in to the play quickly is super important.

Suicides are good for building up your gas tank but not much else, we do it at the very end of the session and we split into 2 or 3 groups to at least so its a bit more "realistic" with getting 20-30secs of rest between skates. Its cardio and it sucks but the benefits are there to be seen - we dominate teams in the 3rd period purely because they run out of gas and can't keep up.

As for what you're doing off ice, sled pushes are great for building power but make sure you're also doing stuff for agility too - ladder drills are great for building quality footwork, 2m cone shuttles too.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
I think yoga will help with the best celly:

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Do you ever get to the point where your weak foot feels as natural as your strong foot? I can do almost everything on my weak foot but I seem to just never do it in the heat of a game because it doesn't feel like a natural movement. Is there any way to train myself to rely more on the stuff that I can do but don't or is it just reps reps reps?

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.
My old trainer had me running agility drills and it really helped a lot, especially with just being comfortable off-balance. Unfortunately I don't really have a place to do them on my own now and I've noticed I've lost almost all my gains.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

prom candy posted:

Do you ever get to the point where your weak foot feels as natural as your strong foot? I can do almost everything on my weak foot but I seem to just never do it in the heat of a game because it doesn't feel like a natural movement. Is there any way to train myself to rely more on the stuff that I can do but don't or is it just reps reps reps?

Yes, it solves itself with repetitions.

I read a quote somewhere once that even NHL level players have to remember to train their weak side. So I don't think it ever completely goes away, but you can definitely make it a non-issue.

JollyPubJerk
Nov 10, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
suicides is for your cardio. Don't waste ice time. Do CIRCLES. If you can't get tired doing circles your technique sucks and you need to do more circles until you do. Your goal is to be at the point where you can do face the flag circles at full speed with your stick down the entire time ready to catch a pass. Until then your footwork should be your #1 priority if you're trying to become a better player.

The drop to your stomach/knees is something I was doing in Mites. It's pretty standard.

JollyPubJerk fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Mar 24, 2016

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
What's "face the flag circles?" Skating around the circle while always facing the same end of the rink?

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Yes. One of the problems with circles is new skaters over rely on crossovers moving backwards because all their backwards practice is on circles generally.

Ask them to skate backwards and they tap dance side to side. There's value in straight line skating beyond "cardio" for new players.

JollyPubJerk
Nov 10, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Face the far side net is the same deal yeah. Not the side, but the net in the middle.

You mention something I don't consider as a new player problem, but an advanced player problem, and a minor one at that. You get your speed going backwards from crossovers anyway so it's a good place to start from.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black
Skate Russian Circles while listening to Russian Circles

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Goalie no showed our playoff game so I subbed (like ripped off all my poo poo and got dressed during warmups) using pads like two sizes and three inches on the legs too big for me (and a junior stick lol) but we won 4-2 and now my life as a skater will crumble I know it because every beer league goalie is poo poo and hey man you never told us you were a goalie

It was fun subbing after not playing goal since college though, especially because they didn't know I was a goalie so they shot from the dumbest angles for like a period and a half

Brettbot
Sep 18, 2006

After All The Prosaic Waiting... The Sun Finally Crashes Into The Earth.
Drove all the way to the rink tonight, only to be told "Zamboni's broken, all games are cancelled." They did send an e-mail, but they sent it at the time that I was leaving the house. Guess I'm going to stick&puck tomorrow morning!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Just make the losers resurface manually, worked fine before zambonis!

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

lazerwolf posted:

Skate Russian Circles while listening to Russian Circles

Best advice in this thread :rock:

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009
I actually did some circles today at drop in when everyone else left and I still had ten minutes left on the ice. They made me wicked tired so they must have been doing the trick, especially trying to do them after a scrimmage.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Sled pushing is paying off, i'm faster than most of the other newbies now. Everyone just donated their old gear to me too, so now i'm fully kitted out in stuff that surprisingly fits. Hell yeah

Brettbot
Sep 18, 2006

After All The Prosaic Waiting... The Sun Finally Crashes Into The Earth.

xzzy posted:

Just make the losers resurface manually, worked fine before zambonis!

I wish we had, because I realized after I posted that there's no stick n puck today either. No hockey until next week. :negative:

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.
So last night was quite an experience. Context: my defensive partner is the long term gf of the teams AssCap, whom I've known and been friends with for 16+ years. She recently blew out her ACL, but is still playing with a brace until her surgery after the winter season because... I don't know, something about an upcoming tournament, but apparently her doctor is fine with it and it doesn't hurt. Anyway...

We're just past the halfway point of the game. We're on the pp and my defensive partner is chasing down a cleared puck, being pressured by one of their better players (who is much faster than her), trying to get it to me as I cut in from the other boards, when he leans in and shoulders her head/shoulders into the boards. She crumples face down while the play is blown dead for a penalty as he touches the puck. I'm slowly skating over to see how she's doing, worrying that she's hosed up her knee further, when I hear something and look up just in time as the AssCap, who'd been back checking, comes tearing through my field of vision, barrels into the offending player at full speed with his stick up, and breaks his face. The guy is screaming, grabbing his cheek, which is split open at the ridge down to what I expect would be the bone if not for all the blood pouring out and obscuring it. We find out after the game and after the medic has looked at him, that his cheek and his nose are broken.

The general consensus in the locker room was that it would have been acceptable to go after the guy with his fists (and my friend has several inches and at least sixty lbs on him), but what he pretty much used his stick as a weapon. There was one notable exception who gave him "props," but he was widely derided.

The league hasn't made a final decision yet, but I'm certain he's done for the season, possibly two, possibly for good. Wouldn't blame them, either. Interestingly, AssCap and gf and a handful of people on the other team know one another from other teams, etc...

And some overeager jerk on my team threw my towel to the screamer. Jeez. That was a souvenir towel, too.

gently caress.

Oh, right, and the game ended 4-4 (and we weren't able to do OT or shootout because so much time had been spent doing stupid things like cleaning blood off the ice).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Was that at Sharks Ice? That stuff always happens with the boyfriend and girlfriend teammates.