Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RockNRoll Jesus
Jan 3, 2008

FIND YOUR GOD FUCKING FLASH DRIVE

A TURGID FATSO posted:

American bureaucracy is quite ineffective with tests as long as you can just memorize the bare minimum. The trucking industry has such high turnover rate for drivers that pretty much anyone that can sit in a drivers seat can be hired if they hold the wheel (relatively straight).

So much like the basic license class here. All I had to do was take a summer half-semester of Driver's Ed, and drive some amount of hours with my parents (which they could totally lie about). After that I just went to the DMV to pass the written test and eye test, and from there I was free to go to get my restricted license that let me drive to school and back at the age of 15. My restricted license turned into a full license the night of my 16th birthday. I'm 30 and to this day I have never had to to take a driving test for the DMV. They just test my eyes every five-to-eight years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.

RockNRoll Jesus posted:

Really? I'm not doubting you by any means, but the thought of foreign truckers attempting to navigate American highways without even rudimentary knowledge of the English language terrifies me. How does this happen?

It SHOULDN'T happen, it's illegal for someone that can not read or speak English to have an interstate CDL. But there are some states that play very fast and loose with the rules.

And DMV bribes aren't uncommon.

nutcup
Jun 27, 2004

:heysexy: PUBLIC TOILETS :heysexy:
The amount of foreign or russian drivers I saw while otr makes me think 95% of the drivers in here could be foreign or russian.

Its got all the blood russian down there if you know what mean comrade! *slaps iv8 on the rear end while walking into the steam room*

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
A NUTCUP POST!A NUTCUP POST!A NUTCUP POST!

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

About half the drivers who pick up from where I work are Russian and at least one this year clearly had no business driving a semi. He took about an hour to get his truck lined up with our dock which is in the open with more than two truck lengths of clear pavement in front of it to line up in and no incline.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bg8mf8qonW8

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Speaking of crazy Russians...

quote:

20,000 Recalled Volvo Trucks To Be Placed Immediately Out Of Service
The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration is following up a recall that was issued on some 20,000 Volvo trucks with a declaration that immediately put the affected trucks out-of-service.

Volvo issued the safety recall which affects 16,000 trucks in the US alone in February. The recall was concerning a bolt which connected the upper steering shaft to the lower steering shaft which may not have been properly tightened. This could cause the shafts to become disconnected which would result in the immediate loss of steering control. Additionally, the report notes that there is a “condition” which could cause the separation of the steering shaft from the junction block.

Since the recall was issued on February 16th, Volvo has been encouraging truck owners to get the issue repaired, even publishing an additional safety alert on March 10th and then again on March 15th, which advised owners to stop using the trucks entirely until the repairs are made.

According to the FMCSA OOS Declaration, recalled trucks that haven’t yet been repaired “are likely to cause an accident or breakdown because of a defective steering shaft which may disconnect from the junction block without warning, causing the vehicle to be in an unsafe condition.”

The recall affects some Volvo VNL, VNM, and VNX truck models manufactured between May 11th, 2015 and March 8th, 2016.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

InterceptorV8 posted:

Speaking of crazy Russians...

Those are crazy Swedes

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

shortspecialbus posted:

Those are crazy Swedes

Russians love Volvos.

truls
Jan 6, 2003

The perks of trucking in a country with fjords and mountains: fjords and mountains

Four years ago I was a carefree IT-guy reading "photos from the road" playing ETS. Be careful - it can happen to you!

edit: removed video. ill repost when i get home for the weekend

truls fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Apr 7, 2016

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS
That sort of reminds me of Western Colorado/eastern Utah, although their turns aren't nearly as sharp.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

truls posted:

The perks of trucking in a country with fjords and mountains: fjords and mountains

Four years ago I was a carefree IT-guy reading "photos from the road" playing ETS. Be careful - it can happen to you!

edit: removed video. ill repost when i get home for the weekend

If I didn't have a badly herniated disc and permanent nerve damage in my back, a house, and a wife, I'd honestly consider it. I would also accept "Sea Captain"

Anphear
Jan 20, 2008
Ahh Volvo you know just how to spin a yarn.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UUz1zTZFfU

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

This is a classic in the UK, but I figure maybe the colonies won't have seen it before:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2R5tUc1S3cc

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

See also
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tvkMIdnd04

:britain:

9axle
Sep 6, 2009

A TURGID FATSO posted:

American bureaucracy is quite ineffective with tests as long as you can just memorize the bare minimum. The trucking industry has such high turnover rate for drivers that pretty much anyone that can sit in a drivers seat can be hired if they hold the wheel (relatively straight).

The term we use for these guys is "meat in the seat".

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

From the OSHA thread

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

http://i.imgur.com/apvNF2P.gifv

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

It wants to be a Kamaz when it grows up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytZc8bLFncc

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

It's fine, the air intake is up by the windshield.

The diff breathers, however. Those get thirsty when a hot diff meets cold water.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Powershift posted:

It's fine, the air intake is up by the windshield.

The diff breathers, however. Those get thirsty when a hot diff meets cold water.

Learned a thing. I thought that only the air intake and exhaust mattered. Probably why I'm not a truck driver.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Totally TWISTED posted:

Learned a thing. I thought that only the air intake and exhaust mattered. Probably why I'm not a truck driver.

This is important for just about any vehicle on the road, including Jeeps and non-H1 hummers. The drivetrain isn't meant for immersion, water will get into everything. If you take a vehicle swimming, get the fluids checked immediately.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

EightBit posted:

If you take a vehicle swimming, get the fluids checked changed immediately.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Yep. Anything with a seal that isn't pressure rated needs to be changed out. Shaft seals and the like can usually only handle a few psi before leaking, so even if it has a breather raised pretty high, it doesn't take much water depth to overcome it...

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

You say including Jeeps, so every time you see someone take a Jeep through a deep puddle or a shallow stream they're potentially getting water into their diffs or worse? What kind of vehicles do have pressure rated seals? Ex-military stuff I assume?

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
The Jeep jk's breathers are 24" off the ground. Many vehicles are lower. And after a good mud session or deep water session, a fluid change is a good idea.

Save for unimogs. Unimogs have an air compressor that pressurises the diffs, transfer case, trans, crank case etc. As long as the engine intake doesn't go under water it's good.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

jonathan posted:

The Jeep jk's breathers are 24" off the ground. Many vehicles are lower. And after a good mud session or deep water session, a fluid change is a good idea.

Save for unimogs. Unimogs have an air compressor that pressurises the diffs, transfer case, trans, crank case etc. As long as the engine intake doesn't go under water it's good.

Always relevant:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okfmSGdT3rA

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

I wish the covered wagons in Oregon trail could have done that...

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?
Just found/read the whole thread and some of the poo poo you oilfield guys go through (well, did go through) is amazing. Excellent thread. I'm Operations CIO for a 180 tractor, 400 trailer flatbed company. We do mostly steel, and pre-cast but will haul anything, and everything that demands a flatbed. We're a Qualcomm shop for telematics/cab comm/EOBR, and pretty much use in-house applications for performance monitoring, preventive maintenance, and and anything else we need custom. Dispatch uses TMW. Regardless, if any of you guys have any related questions, feel free to fire away. Oh yeah, and we run two way dashcams.

A TURGID FATSO posted:

Every once in a while I still wonder how the hell I've gotten myself out of some situations that I've gotten stuck in due to bad directions/GPS coordinates.

I was sitting at a the window seat of a restaurant (the white colored building across the street), and I watched a guy pulling a loaded 10 car stinger trailer execute a perfect, mid-intersection U turn and only grabbed just a bit of curb in front of me. Guy went on back up the street like it ain't no thang as I proceeded to pick up my jaw off the table.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

oooh, an office guy.

I've got a question for ya. How many fuckin hours do your clocks have, because the ones in the trucks only have 24.

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?

Powershift posted:

oooh, an office guy.

I've got a question for ya. How many fuckin hours do your clocks have, because the ones in the trucks only have 24.

I've been trying to tell dispatch that for years, trust me.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Don't worry, us oilfield guys are still busting our asses. Snowed 6' today near the Musraeu Lake area of Alberta. Currently working a 14 days on, 1 day off schedule. Since all the saltwater Paki's went back home it's been pretty busy for those of us who live here permanently.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

At least the snow should put the bushfire out right?

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Powershift posted:

oooh, an office guy.

It's because you are geared too low is all.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

jonathan posted:

Don't worry, us oilfield guys are still busting our asses. Snowed 6' today near the Musraeu Lake area of Alberta. Currently working a 14 days on, 1 day off schedule. Since all the saltwater Paki's went back home it's been pretty busy for those of us who live here permanently.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Hadn't heard that one before.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I was sure I had extracted what little life there was left in the mack, but I just saw it on the highway pulling a dry bulker. 12 years now of a tortured life and it's still being put to work. It has to be over a million kms by now.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Apparently I was out on probation because a mod thinks people from Newfoundland are their own race.

That makes sense actually.

Edit, unless they think people from Pakistan are a race ?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I'm not sure what to tell you if you don't realize that what you said is a well known derogatory term for pakistanis.

(no, I didn't report you. I saw the post and probation and was like "why did he think that was alright")

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

I'm told it's not as well known in the US? But yeah, that's pretty much the worst word you can use about a minority in the UK, and will probably end in violence one way or another.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
I don't think I've ever heard it used in the US and wouldn't have thought it was a slur.

• Locked thread