Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I really need to pick this up. Looks incredible.

"Incredible" is a bit of an overstatement but if you like harvest moon or rune factory you'll probably like Stardew a lot. It is really good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plek
Jul 30, 2009

Rrussom posted:

I guess the broforce dudes didnt want to get tiy'd up in development hell

I remember seeing ads for broforce, unlike any chucklefish game outside of starbound.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Rhopunzel posted:

fun fact: broforce was very nearly a chucklefish game. i recall they were negotiating but walked away from whatever deal they were offered. and later tiy was like i didn't want to publish them anyway

lmao, tiy is such a child

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
tiy, maj eyal is a better game than you ever could have made and im convinced the only reason starbound is so pretty is because you were out sick one day and someone just put the art in the game

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
lol

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
tiy, like george lucas with Star Wars, probably actively fought against every single good thing that was in Starbound

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

the original name was probably Skykiller before someone realized how dumb that was

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Prop Wash posted:

the original name was probably Skykiller before someone realized how dumb that was

lol

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

On the topic of good EA games, Broforce! :black101:

Johnny Joestar posted:

nuclear throne is the posterchild for a game that actually did early access right

These games are excellent. Ive put a decent chunk of time in Nuclear Throne, but im bad at games so ive only reached the throne once and that was like 6 or 7 months ago during a patch that made the game pretty easy. When it was fixed i was back to being bad and getting stuck at the junk yard.

Broforce seems to be hit or miss on saving any data though. I dont know if its the steam cloud, or if the game just sucks at saving your stuff. I seem to lose the majority of what i unlocked in a session every time i play. Its a really fun game though.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Prop Wash posted:

Starbound's in-development name for the team was always Space Terry but the original one(s) they wanted was Planetfall (which was taken by something else) and Crestfallen.

Also looking back Tiy wanted people to move to the UK before the game was even debuted for preorder. So basically he wanted people to move the UK before he paid any of them a red cent.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Come to the UK on your own dime so you can continue doing what you are already doing

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Stroll together, win together

Party Plane Jones posted:

Starbound's in-development name for the team was always Space Terry but the original one(s) they wanted was Planetfall (which was taken by something else) and Crestfallen.

Also looking back Tiy wanted people to move to the UK before the game was even debuted for preorder. So basically he wanted people to move the UK before he paid any of them a red cent.

The development name was actually Starship to start with and to this day that's what my work folder for it is called. Space Terry was just a nickname, I don't remember seeing it said much by the team.

I lived in Spain before I moved to the US in 2012 and I remember he was planning on buying a house with the idea of having team members live with him to help progress. I was all for staying in England before I moved to the States but then he said he was going to charge rent so it never happened.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Also if you remember the old thread (don't know why you would) there was a post about Hobots. Tiy was all in favor of the robot race having tits for some reason.

http://i.imgur.com/6NJUn46.gifv
http://i.imgur.com/vUzsLvl.gifv

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Lol

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Rhopunzel posted:

The development name was actually Starship to start with and to this day that's what my work folder for it is called. Space Terry was just a nickname, I don't remember seeing it said much by the team.

I lived in Spain before I moved to the US in 2012 and I remember he was planning on buying a house with the idea of having team members live with him to help progress. I was all for staying in England before I moved to the States but then he said he was going to charge rent so it never happened.

Hahaha what?

"Move to England or I'll fire you. Also, I won't foot the plane ticket, and you have to pay rent."

The employees of chucklefish aren't staying because they like it, they're loving prisoners.

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Stroll together, win together

Cicadas! posted:

Hahaha what?

"Move to England or I'll fire you. Also, I won't foot the plane ticket, and you have to pay rent."

The employees of chucklefish aren't staying because they like it, they're loving prisoners.

I can't speak for them since I don't talk to any of them anymore but from what I've heard the situation isn't optimal. I've worded that as diplomatically as I possibly can.

Neither Bart nor I were fired so to speak, we were basically just cut out entirely after they all moved and were reduced to doing bitch work while they jumped from one idea to the other. Bart saw it coming and left almost immediately, I hung on for a while until I was informed one of the artists I wasn't very partial to was put in charge of me without my knowledge or input and I pretty much quit on the spot.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Also if you remember the old thread (don't know why you would) there was a post about Hobots. Tiy was all in favor of the robot race having tits for some reason.

http://i.imgur.com/6NJUn46.gifv
http://i.imgur.com/vUzsLvl.gifv
lol

this is like some 50s era sexbot poo poo

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I kinda like the sassy walk cycle at least. The roboheels really take it to the next level.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
that reminds me of how coal miners had to buy all of their stuff at the company store

pay to move here and also pay to live here, and then I'll pay you...so you can pay me?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
has tiy ever had a good starbound idea? i submit to you that he has not

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Rhopunzel posted:

I can't speak for them since I don't talk to any of them anymore but from what I've heard the situation isn't optimal. I've worded that as diplomatically as I possibly can.

Neither Bart nor I were fired so to speak, we were basically just cut out entirely after they all moved and were reduced to doing bitch work while they jumped from one idea to the other. Bart saw it coming and left almost immediately, I hung on for a while until I was informed one of the artists I wasn't very partial to was put in charge of me without my knowledge or input and I pretty much quit on the spot.

Hey Tiy's prisoners/workforce, PM me if you want to get out, I have an extra bedroom and I'm just a ryanair flight away

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Eonwe posted:

has tiy ever had a good starbound idea? i submit to you that he has not

uhhh he thought of starbound and people gave him money for it

genius

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTCen9-RELM

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
i like to imagine Tiy taking a 2 bedroom flat an renting it out to like 5 or 6 people and making money off of it

lmao

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Rhopunzel posted:

And I didn't think my opinion of Tiy could get any lower. I know you probably don't want to out of politeness or something, but I feel like I speak for everyone when I say I'd love to hear any juicy tidbits or insider stories about your experiences working with them. I love behind-the-scenes stuff, and with a bunch of fuckups like them I'm sure you've got at least a few anecdotes. You're not affiliated with them anymore, so it doesn't matter, right?

If I'm remembering from the older threads, you're the one who originally designed the player sprite, correct? Who was the artist who got your job, and why didn't you like them?

Cicadas! fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Mar 26, 2016

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

victrix posted:

I kinda like the sassy walk cycle at least. The roboheels really take it to the next level.

When I originally posted those years ago in the thread I got frantic messages from people on the development team in the #starbound IRC channel asking me to edit it out of my post because it made them look bad.

Amusingly, the guy whose photobucket I found it on still has the gifs in his album which is how I found them again.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Rhopunzel posted:

Holy poo poo, gently caress these gay, digital earths.

Seriously, though, that's a drat shame. Glad you moved on.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Tiy was a pixel artist on Terraria right? When can I see some of his contributions to Starbound or was he just the ideas guy for this game

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Eonwe posted:

Tiy was a pixel artist on Terraria right? When can I see some of his contributions to Starbound or was he just the ideas guy for this game

Yeah, he was a pixel artist for Terraria.

He was the one who made the ugly mess of a tileset that game uses. He's probably the reason Terraria looked like dogshit when it released.

This somehow skyrocketed him into legitimacy because...?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

On one hand I don't want this thread to turn into an anti-CFish mud-slinging circlejerk but on the other hand what the gently caress else are we supposed to talk about, they're not even updating the blog thick and fast at the moment, much less the game itself.

Pretty upsetting stories, by the way. Really interesting to see just how much of a shitshow development for this game has been.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Eonwe posted:

Tiy is basically an indie Ken Levine (this is not a compliment): does nothing to contribute, constantly asks for new poo poo and assets unrelated to actual development to be added, shits on people who have opinions contrary to him, has an overinflated sense of self worth stemming from being one of the only visible development members, and threatens to tank development by firing everybody at the drop of a hat. I fully expect when Chucklefish finally gives up the ghost under the sweatshop conditions they operate under (remember, most people there aren't UK citizens so they're working on visas in one of London's more expensive areas to rent) he'll pull the ejection seat on it and end up landing with a golden parachute smelling of roses.

Also a thing in the #starbound channel during its early days was him hitting on anything female with a pulse until he found out they wanted nothing to do with him and then he proceeded to ignore them forever and shittalk them when they weren't there.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
:yum:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

This absolutely has nothing to do with the game, but what does Tiy look like?

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

This absolutely has nothing to do with the game, but what does Tiy look like?

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Wait what.

When this game came out, it felt fine. Slap on a slightly better combat system, some better boss fights, the story/quest system that was promised, maybe some balancing tweaks, and it was ready to go out the door.

And you are all telling me that since then, they've removed.

- A better combat system they put in.

- The boss fights

- The randomly generated worlds, which includes the oddball creatures/random tombs/castle towns/whatever you'd occasionally find.

- All racial quirks, maybe them all the exact same.

?

And they still haven't put in the quest system they promised?

WHAT THE gently caress HAVE THEY BEEN DOING FOR TWO GODDAMN YEARS. WHAT THE gently caress EVEN IS THIS GAME NOW. IT'S ENTIRE COOL ASPECT WAS LANDING ON PODUNK PLANETS AND FINDING RANDOM loving TOMBS TO EXPLORE. AND THEY loving REMOVED IT? JESUS loving CHRIST.

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx
starbound is

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Tiy is basically an indie Ken Levine (this is not a compliment): does nothing to contribute, constantly asks for new poo poo and assets unrelated to actual development to be added, shits on people who have opinions contrary to him, has an overinflated sense of self worth stemming from being one of the only visible development members, and threatens to tank development by firing everybody at the drop of a hat. I fully expect when Chucklefish finally gives up the ghost under the sweatshop conditions they operate under (remember, most people there aren't UK citizens so they're working on visas in one of London's more expensive areas to rent) he'll pull the ejection seat on it and end up landing with a golden parachute smelling of roses.

Also a thing in the #starbound channel during its early days was him hitting on anything female with a pulse until he found out they wanted nothing to do with him and then he proceeded to ignore them forever and shittalk them when they weren't there.

I always wonder why the gently caress he did this. It's not as though there's any clients that it's helpful to be close to, even if he was dead set on having all the staff come into a physical office there plenty of places that are much, much cheaper live than London.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Rookersh posted:

Wait what.

When this game came out, it felt fine. Slap on a slightly better combat system, some better boss fights, the story/quest system that was promised, maybe some balancing tweaks, and it was ready to go out the door.

And you are all telling me that since then, they've removed.

- A better combat system they put in.

- The boss fights

- The randomly generated worlds, which includes the oddball creatures/random tombs/castle towns/whatever you'd occasionally find.

- All racial quirks, maybe them all the exact same.

?

And they still haven't put in the quest system they promised?

WHAT THE gently caress HAVE THEY BEEN DOING FOR TWO GODDAMN YEARS. WHAT THE gently caress EVEN IS THIS GAME NOW. IT'S ENTIRE COOL ASPECT WAS LANDING ON PODUNK PLANETS AND FINDING RANDOM loving TOMBS TO EXPLORE. AND THEY loving REMOVED IT? JESUS loving CHRIST.

-Yes, it sucks now

-No boss fights are still in and while they've taken some out they've put new ones in.

-Procedural worlds and creatures and such with towns and dungeons are still in and there's more kinds of them and there's more stuff to see.

-There never were racial quirks to begin with. Novakids glow in the next update though.

-The quest system is largely in, there's just nothing to really do with it except for super linear story quests and boring bullshit colony quests. The system's in though.

you should do more research, there are legitimate things to be upset/disappointed at but you only really nailed 1 out of 5 of your qualms

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

This is pretty much what I expected, to be honest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

imagine him wearing that dumb hat and an ascot

• Locked thread