Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

I feel like I'm going to eventually want more than the 3 boxes of this I am getting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

If anything the removal is better in SoI than other recent sets.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

I really love how they've played around with double faced cards, now that the mechanic comes for the second round. Really cool ways of using that design space, beyond just having creature transforming to creature. Accursed Witch, Skin Invasion, Autumnal Gloom, Harvest Hand, Westvale Abbey...

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Lunsku posted:

I really love how they've played around with double faced cards, now that the mechanic comes for the second round. Really cool ways of using that design space, beyond just having creature transforming to creature. Accursed Witch, Skin Invasion, Autumnal Gloom, Harvest Hand, Westvale Abbey...

I think my favorite transform cards are the Geier Reach Bandit and Skin Invasion.

So good.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

so no vanilla mythic after all huh

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Dungeon Ecology posted:

hermit of dem gnatterknolls look fuckin solid

That's a neat design. Whenever you decide to take the turn off to flip it, your opponent can't stop it from happening unless they let you draw a card.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

minoru suzuki posted:

so no vanilla mythic after all huh

All we know is that the vanilla mythic is in a set they have at least begun work on. There was nothing indicating it would be in SoI specifically.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

I'm on the MTGO Beta right now and I'm trying to build RG Werewolves with Collected Company.

So far all I've got is Village Messenger, Geier Reach Bandit, Hermit, and CoCos.

Brewing is hard. :(

Edit: I want to run Scourge Wolf so bad and yet it feels like it won't fit the bill on what I want this deck to do. Also, I don't think I'll actually accomplish Delirium, as all I'm running is Creatures, lands, and Instants so far.

Count Bleck fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Mar 25, 2016

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Yeah I just guessed it might be the toad and was wrong.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Entropic posted:

That's a neat design. Whenever you decide to take the turn off to flip it, your opponent can't stop it from happening unless they let you draw a card.

What? They just kill it on their turn or in response to the flip trigger.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

suicidesteve posted:

What? They just kill it on their turn or in response to the flip trigger.

If they kill it on your end step then they cast a spell on your turn and you get to draw a card

Killing it on their turn works regardless of whether it is flipped or not, of course

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Count Bleck posted:

I'm on the MTGO Beta right now and I'm trying to build RG Werewolves with Collected Company.

So far all I've got is Village Messenger, Geier Reach Bandit, Hermit, and CoCos.

Brewing is hard. :(

Edit: I want to run Scourge Wolf so bad and yet it feels like it won't fit the bill on what I want this deck to do. Also, I don't think I'll actually accomplish Delirium, as all I'm running is Creatures, lands, and Instants so far.
Mana dorks?

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

odiv posted:

Mana dorks?

You mean that one mana dork for 2 mana?

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

dragon enthusiast posted:

Does it seem like there's a higher concentration of enchantments than normal in SOI? Sure there's the "enable delirium everyday" thing, but could it be hints to the next block?

That would explain the enchantment density in RTR.

Which is to say 4/5 as many as Innistrad.

Symphonie
Dec 24, 2010

lol just flamestrike it idk

BizarroAzrael posted:

Alucard's dad looks a bit familiar.

Anyone think that Hanwier Militia Captain/Westvale Cult Leader has standard potential? I'd like to try White or BW Weenies with her, to enable Westvale Abbey (or hold it up as a defense against sweepers) Gideon, Ally of Zendikar seems like it would work well since it produces tokens and anthems, or can just contribute to the creature count itself.

Dunno why people keep thinking BW for Westvale Abbey, other than the fact that the tokens it makes are BW (which is a bad reason). GW and RW are both better token decks right now.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Oh yeah, poo poo, what do we even have left for mana dorks?

1 mana:
Honored Hierarch (too much work)
Gnarlroot Trapper (Elves only)

2 mana:
Leaf Gilder
Beastcaller Savant (creatures only)

3 mana:
Shaman of Forgotten Ways (creatures only)
Lifespring Druid

What else?
I guess there's that 2 mana enchantment they just spoiled.

I miss you, Elvish Mystic. :(

odiv fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Mar 25, 2016

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

odiv posted:

Oh yeah, poo poo, what do we even have left for mana dorks?

1 mana:
Honored Hierarch (too much work)

2 mana:
Leaf Gilder
Beastcaller Savant (creatures only)

3 mana:
Shaman of Forgotten Ways (creatures only)
Lifespring Druid

What else?
I guess there's that 2 mana enchantment they just spoiled.

I miss you, Elvish Mystic. :(

Death cap Cultivator in SOI

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Balon posted:

Death cap Cultivator in SOI

also the lovely 1 drop which has T, tap another dude: make mana, also in SoI

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Snacksmaniac posted:

Where'd that drat image go?
Claimed this already just in case.
http://thejaceticeleague.tumblr.com/

Post the image at the top of the OP.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I wish I could empty quote the last five pages of spoilers, holy gently caress. Innistrad all day.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Innistrad is rad.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Kuiperdolin posted:

Innistrad is rad.

Innistrad: Rad, innit?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Random thoughts on individual cards:
- I'm going to brew a Molten Vortex/Crawling Sensation deck and lose a lot of games with it
- The guy on Malevolent Whispers is Mitt Romney
- Geistflame is sweet and I hope it enables a cool combo deck
- Bloodmad Vampire definitely inspires a powerful bloodlust in me, I will probably draft it a lot
- Liliana's Indignation is actually kindof an uncommon fireball if you have 20 creatures, and milling is a big upside
- Gryph's Boon actually seems really good to me. Make something into a flying threat for cheap, and keep getting it back if your opponent can answer your creature. I'm not sure how 1 mana flying auras stack up, historically
- The vampire on Alms of the Vein looks Japanese-themed. Did she dress up as a Kamigawan for a ball or something, that would be rad

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

mcmagic posted:

I really like this card. Easy no 1 pick

I agree and glad that it's at uncommon rather then Isolation Zone common.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Some higher level thoughts:
- There are a lot of creatures that do stuff from the graveyard, enough that they could have easily made it a keyword. Interestingly the fact that they didn't left them with more flexibility. They probably wouldn't have been able to do both 'bring this creature back from the graveyard by discarding cards' and 'exile this creature for tokens' in the same set if they did.
- There are a lot of really cool and/or powerful uncommons. This seems very good for constructed, it should allow for interesting and cheap decks. However it does concern me that maybe the limited format will be plagued with unbeatable uncommon bombs, or unplayable buildaround cards. I hope it was playtested well because the set clearly has a lot of cool ideas.
- There are a suspicious number of cards that put things on the bottom of your library. I am therefore going to guess that EDM will have a 'bottom of your library' theme, which could include a heavy emphasis on scrying, reverse scrying, drawing from the bottom of your deck or outright turning your deck upside down. This theme would represent insanity pretty well, I think.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Oh man this set is bosssssss

Can't wait for LSV and Marshals set review for Luis so gush over the lack of flavour fails.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
The bottom of library stuff could also be to avoid indirectly feeding Eldrazi processors by exiling.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

There's also the sorceries that put themselves on the bottom rather than going to the graveyard, though. That clause seems pretty baffling right now.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

From Stoddard's article:

quote:

Speaking of graveyard-related stuff, I've seen a lot of people complain that there aren't any great answers for Rally the Ancestors in Battle for Zendikar block—and that's true. Rally was a deck that was stronger than we were expecting for a number of reasons, but part of it was that we didn't have the usual spread of hate cards for the deck in the environment because Shadows was going to be the next set. We knew from...well, from the last time we went to Innistrad that when we went back it would be a graveyard block. Part of getting sets to work when they come out is making sure the environment isn't too hostile toward them. If there was a lot of strong graveyard hate in Battle for Zendikar block, we would need to power creep the graveyard stuff in Shadows to really make the Standard environment feel like Innistrad. That would then cause a ton of problems later when we try to get the fall large set to shake up Standard.

There's no graveyard hate at all in this set.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Symphonie posted:

Dunno why people keep thinking BW for Westvale Abbey, other than the fact that the tokens it makes are BW (which is a bad reason). GW and RW are both better token decks right now.

Was looking at mono white, but black has Nantuko Husk and Zulaport Cutthroat.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I mean the only realistic enabler is Secure the Wastes so just make sure you play white.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
The only disappointment is that there is no "when you control x clues, you win" card. Still might goof around and make a deck using the enchantment that mills 3 when you crack a clue, call it Blues Clues.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

Fingers McLongDong posted:

call it Blues Clues.

haha, nice

anglachel
May 28, 2012

Dungeon Ecology posted:

is this a thing for constructed play?

Might be playable in Bogles for Modern, but I think Bogles isnt a deck that can usually take a turn off to fetch.

Also I've been playing around with Sealed Pools in some generators. It looks like Delirium is gonna be a big trap in Sealed unless your pool REALLY cooperates, and your gonna be 2 colors unless you play green (though this is usually tree in Sealed).

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Gryff's Boon is the card that stands out to me more for boggles. Less power than Rancor but the evasion is pretty strong. The activated ability may very rarely come up too. I think it's at least worth testing.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Dungeon Ecology posted:

is this a thing for constructed play?

I get another tutor for my Jor Kadeen deck.

Baller.

Eddie Whitson
Nov 2, 2010

The only disappointment is that there is no "when you control x clues, you win" card. Still might goof around and make a deck using the enchantment that mills 3 when you crack a clue, call it Blues Clues.

Hey, you win next set.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
So apparently Maro has responded to the reaction to his blogatog comment. I actually sympathize to be honest.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

People keep saying this and it's dumb. Clues are useless if you don't use them. Encouraging people to investigate and not actually use the tokens would be retarded, which I guess is why everyone is convinced it's going to happen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
it could be a lovely darksteel reactor that procs off of clue sacrifices.

• Locked thread