Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
Is there anything to spend my $$$pokebucks$$$ on after I've got my trainer looking the way I want?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

may contain peanuts posted:

Lemmie figure out this adapter thing first since having a wired connection should definitely help.

Emalde posted:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA1TX0K36502

I ordered this over christmas, it works with the front USB ports and is a godsend.

Sade posted:

Is there anything to spend my $$$pokebucks$$$ on after I've got my trainer looking the way I want?

The other gender :v:

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
I can't link twitter at work but Shofu posted a .gif of a top-ranked Lucario that quits games, but doesn't go down in rank

apparently, if you disconnect, you lose pokedollars and nothing else, there's no risk for online play

come on bamco, fix it

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

Dizz posted:

The game combines gameplay elements from Bandai Namco's Tekken series with characters from the Pokémon franchise.

hehhhhhh

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

Rafza posted:

I can't link twitter at work but Shofu posted a .gif of a top-ranked Lucario that quits games, but doesn't go down in rank

apparently, if you disconnect, you lose pokedollars and nothing else, there's no risk for online play

come on bamco, fix it

That's disappointing, since the game goes out of its way to inform you that there are Serious Penalties for ragequitting the first time you hop into online.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Weavile is the best character in the game and none of you can convince me otherwise. :colbert:

i have never seen that intro at the beginning of the video and oh my god i need it

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Sade posted:

That's disappointing, since the game goes out of its way to inform you that there are Serious Penalties for ragequitting the first time you hop into online.

yeah its awful, i'm assuming bamco is going to do some patching to not only fix this but remove dork mewtwos infinite but...the silence is not great

but hey if you play online seriously enough to be on the leaderboard, you probably go to events to play and thats where the real competition is so gently caress it i guess

Pollyanna posted:

Weavile is the best character in the game and none of you can convince me otherwise. :colbert:

i have never seen that intro at the beginning of the video and oh my god i need it

oh man i want a gif of that

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Pollyanna posted:

I think that's a winning animation.

Also I kinda wonder if this game was almost another Detective Pikachu and they had a really low budget on localizing it. The awful voicework, stiff translation, and the fact the pokemon themselves use their Japanese names is kinda weird.

Dosvidanya
May 28, 2004

I don't advertise for free ;-*
it's one of his 3-4 intro poses, one of the others being where he slides on ice he creates. It's random afaict.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

Brosnan posted:

hehhhhhh

Shoulda also thrown in Naruto in that.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

the fact the pokemon themselves use their Japanese names

when does this happen?

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

Inflammatory posted:

when does this happen?

I know Gardevoir's noises are way closer to "Sirnight" than "Gardevoir"

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
i think they're just making noises.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

There are a ridiculous number of moves in this game. Figuring out who to main is gonna be incredibly hard.

Braixen and Gardevoir are both pretty fun though.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

braixen is just having a great time. yahoo!

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Yeah what EEBees said. Went through the tutorials and interested in Weavile but I have no idea what to do aside from the combos they gave me.

dromer
Aug 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Pollyanna posted:

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Pollyanna posted:

Pokemon get new intros once you get them above level 50. Garchomp tries to eat the camera and starts laughing while Mewtwo slowly turns around and then points. It's fun.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Theta Zero posted:

Pokemon get new intros once you get them above level 50. Garchomp tries to eat the camera and starts laughing while Mewtwo slowly turns around and then points. It's fun.

I think Blazikens is he kind of nods sagely before psyching himself up

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

loveulots

Theta Zero posted:

I have a renewed reason to get up to level 50 now :)

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My defenses are impregnable
My arms are tired
Greetings from B rank.
I haven't seen a power character in hours.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

What exactly is the deal with the character types anyway? Do power characters get something technical characters don't and vice versa? Or is it just a "this character wants to play a certain way" label?

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

It goes by their health and how their synergy works. Technical characters take much longer to increase their synergy but it lasts a while to make up for it. They also have less health.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Theta Zero posted:

I was wondering why Machamp's intro was suddenly better

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
I got a 6 six streak for online and my rank went down.

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My arms are tired
Simmilarly, speed characters have less health but build up so much synergy that they heal every round giving them more.
I legitimately think that each speed character needs some form of adjustment, they operate in field and duel phases so well with no consequences at all.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Sceptile has 570 health, what's normal in this game? Because that doesn't seem like much less.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
Just fought the same random person in Friendly match for probably 40 minutes. We just kept re-matching!! :)

It was pretty even for a while, trading off wins, but he definitely got the better of me in the end. Still, lots of fun.

I feel a LITTLE bad how many of my wins came from spamming fire blast in duel phase. Just a little.

Thank you, Mewtwo-using player from Georgia, wearing a face scarf.

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My arms are tired

IronicDongz posted:

Sceptile has 570 health, what's normal in this game? Because that doesn't seem like much less.

It's not. Normal is 600.
Again, because speed characters get a synergy burst each round and heal around 50 so the "low health" downside is dumb. Thier damage is amazing too, I don't see what they can't do.

Bursts in general are sort of nonsensical, they benefit keep-away characters way more than offence oriented ones.
Say I want to break the distance as Machamp or Charizard so I activate my burst, the opponent chooses not to block and gets fullscreen distance.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Pollyanna posted:

Weird, the video you linked is of Manyula, not Weavile.

Anyway, I came in to ask how this game might fair for small kids. Their mom doesn't let them play games much so they aren't very skilled. Can you still do rad looking stuff just by sort of hitting buttons?

Either way i might pick this up because im sure my older brother will love it, if he hasn't bought it himself. Also because im the cool step bro for the little bastards.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Nasgate posted:

Weird, the video you linked is of Manyula, not Weavile.

Anyway, I came in to ask how this game might fair for small kids. Their mom doesn't let them play games much so they aren't very skilled. Can you still do rad looking stuff just by sort of hitting buttons?

Either way i might pick this up because im sure my older brother will love it, if he hasn't bought it himself. Also because im the cool step bro for the little bastards.

You definitely can, but you'll never, ever win online. Single Player is about as difficult as a training dummy set to "walk forward and push attack" for the entire campaign. It's actually a pretty bad deal for a game at 60bux if you want to do anything other than shoot for leaderboards or don't have a regular group of friends to play with.

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My arms are tired
I'm not sure if your kids would notice but local multiplayer runs at 30fps instead of 60, so take that into consideration.

dromer
Aug 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
What's the general Sceptile Field mode strategy? He has a bunch of zoning options but I'm not sure when to use each.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

The Gorp posted:

I'm not sure if your kids would notice but local multiplayer runs at 30fps instead of 60, so take that into consideration.

Cool, Ill see if i can rent it and see how bad that is for me/my brother. Im sure the little ones wouldn't mind.

blakyoshi
Feb 17, 2011

The Gorp posted:

Bursts in general are sort of nonsensical, they benefit keep-away characters way more than offence oriented ones.
Say I want to break the distance as Machamp or Charizard so I activate my burst, the opponent chooses not to block and gets fullscreen distance.

Machamp solves this problem by pressing the A button.

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My arms are tired
It still doesn't change the fact that gardevoir or Braixen get a free out when they activate burst, whereas other characters lose momentum or have to activate it while the opponent is knocked down.

The Gorp fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Mar 26, 2016

Dosvidanya
May 28, 2004

I don't advertise for free ;-*
The thing about that though is being in burst mode for machamp means he can just armor through projectiles at will with attacks. Like that's a huge part of burst mode.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

I found the use for Pikachu's non-command grab in Field phase, it changes phases and leaves you extremely close to your opponent so its a really good way to get into duel mode and start doing those really good combos. Also, in the move dojo if you pull up the Move List it tells you the battle triangle properties of every move and gives you advice on what those moves are actually for, I didn't realize up+A was a command counter, or that Thunder can be cancelled with R, OR that you can hold a d-pad direction before you input Thunder and move in that direction in the air before the move comes out, ORRR that you can both shift momentum in the air AND cancel Thunder. In Duel mode if you hold forward and Thunder you can gain ground and if they shield the thunderbolt you can land close enough to command grab into Nuzzle, which itself can confirm into Burst Attack. Anyways what I'm saying is go read the movelist in the dojo and read all those useful notes.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Regular Pikachu is extremely good, by the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
the 'chu is definitely top tier, as early as it is

• Locked thread