Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever

Butt Reactor posted:

Great, that gives you SFO, LAX, PSP, FAT, SEA, PDX as domicile choices. We have PHX and TUS bases too but those are shrinking and might be difficult to transfer into as a new hire. SLC isn't exactly west coast, but it's good if you like outdoor poo poo such as skiing, hiking, biking, etc. Attrition is currently about 30-40 guys a month, so we're not stopping hiring anytime soon. Upgrade time right now is down to 3-4 years, which isn't far of from the other carriers. As for bonuses, yeah we have a referral bonus plus type bonus if you hold a CL-65 or E175 type rating. As for reserve, well that's going to suck anywhere, it's just a matter of how quick you can hold a line. Personally, I didn't even sit reserve a whole month when I started flying, and I only sat reserve for about ~3 months in SLC (one of our most senior hubs) before holding a line. I even broke guarantee without trying to all three months, while a buddy of mine flew maybe 5 hours one month because he wanted to. The myth that seniority gets worse the further west you get is quickly evaporating, we're adding E-175s every month for Alaska and United flying on the west coast with some additional Embraers for Delta coming online later this year in LAX and SEA.

Ok, now let me poo poo all over the good stuff I just said. PBS is our scheduling software and it suuucks. You'll almost never get exactly what you want, so you learn to compromise very well when it comes to bidding. It gets better as you build seniority but only slightly. Crew Support is notorious for being bipolar towards pilots, I've had some very helpful guys and some cunts that'll make you want to :suicide: Non-union is a prickly subject, I like not having to pay dues and dealing with workplace politics (ALPA at both the regional and major level, :lol: ). It kinda is rough not having representation sometimes though, having legal recourse if poo poo hits the fan or a MEC to work towards better pay and QOL packages would be nice.

Even with all that, I like it here. Most crews I work with are cool and most of the trips I have are in cities like Vancouver, ABQ, NAshville, etc, so I'm almost never bored on overnights looking for things to do :quagmire:

I know a Skywest PHX FO that has been there approx 3 years, no closer to upgrading and his schedules are godawful. I'm not trying to paint a pretty picture, I timed it right and looked at the growth and attrition rates, got a bit lucky and I'll be 28% in SEA in June on the FO side. Things are pretty great right now, that said, it's all musical chairs / hindsight is 20/20 etc and who knows for an FO hired today anywhere what's going to happen, but the train is still going strong right now. My reserve experience wouldn't necessarily be the same as somebody hired today, in my case those that went to LA never sat reserve at all but I would expect at least 2 months right now.
I could probably write a page on the ALPA thing but the dues aren't that much when you consider what we get out of it... it's nice to have somebody that can sue the company when they aren't following the contract or at least negotiate a nice settlement. You don't pay dues year 1. When they tried to give a $10k signing bonus to new hires, the union forced them to instead put the equivalent into the year 1 pay rates, thus raising the bar nicely and preventing them from taking it away at some future point, and also used the leverage to swing us commuter hotels/irrops hotels. What part of NV are you in? I'd factor that in as well.
And yeah e.pilot it's not nearly as bad as I thought it would be, times really are a changing. First year pay went way up 6 months after I came on, everything got better pretty much and the trips you can hold as a senior FO are great. I fly two 24-hr 4 days and a 30 hr 5 day next month, all commutable, first 7 days of the month off, last 5 days of the month off. Even if you don't care about the upgrade (and yes, the PIC still matters if you want to go to certain carriers, others don't care, YMMV heavily), getting super senior super fast is the best driver of QOL out there. And contractual PBS rules that prevent the company from forcing everybody to work 92 hours... our PBS is pretty bad though, same one Skywest uses, and I can't sugar coat that if you are junior it can sting a bit, and when the pairings are bad, no PBS system can fix that.

I guess we all drink a little too much company koolaid, maybe it's stockholm syndrome, go figure.

The Slaughter fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Mar 21, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
The squadron ops officer told me today that they finished designing my return-to-flight syllabus. It's the first positive "we think you'll get back in a jet" news I've gotten from anybody since this whole tachycardia mess started. Still have to get approval from Big Navy docs and from the rear admiral in charge of training, but it's something.

:unsmith:

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

overdesigned posted:

The squadron ops officer told me today that they finished designing my return-to-flight syllabus. It's the first positive "we think you'll get back in a jet" news I've gotten from anybody since this whole tachycardia mess started. Still have to get approval from Big Navy docs and from the rear admiral in charge of training, but it's something.

:unsmith:

Happy to hear it. I met a buddy in Corpus who got medically DQ'd from training while in the T-45 and he eventually got hired on at a regional before moving up to Alaska Airlines. He was, of course, super bummed when they pulled him out of the training program but things ended up alright for him. I'm glad to hear things are coming around for you as well. I hope it continues.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Another CCTV of the flydubai crash has emerged, they were in that steep dive for a while.

https://youtu.be/ifJ9osyLRqQ

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Two bombings in the departures area at BRU.

The Slaughter posted:

Where do you live, Rolo? Come to Compass. QOL is high. Airplane is shiny. All is good. If I had 1000 121 sic I could upgrade right now and I've only been on property 9 months.. In LAX next month I'm holding 17 days off, commutable trips, first 7 days of the month and last 5 days of the month off. The party bus here just doesn't seem to show signs of stopping, but who knows. Also, a union to save your rear end when you gently caress up.
You should see my skywest friends schedules... honestly.. The ones that have been there for 3+ years. Freaking brutally ugly, I'd be happy to PM it to you, but it doesn't even touch my QOL. I know another guy that went there about 8 months ago and he's still been doing reserve and weird poo poo in bases far away from his home of.. LAX. (Where if he went to compass at that time, he'd be bidding really loving senior.) To some extent the train has left the station here but it also doesn't seem like it's stopping, CAs are getting hired left and right. 24/mo upgrade for the foreseeable future and hiring 40/mo, which is pretty big at a 700 pilot airline.

I have a friend who went to Compass from another regional early last year and just upgraded within the last couple months. He still has to commute from Virginia to LAX, but Jesus, that upgrade time. :psyduck:

hobbesmaster posted:

If you don't have status with an airline and its a popular route your options can be very limited.

Eagle (PSA) CRJ-900s are to the point where everything ahead of and including the exit rows are upcharges.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

shame on an IGA posted:

Another CCTV of the flydubai crash has emerged, they were in that steep dive for a while.

https://youtu.be/ifJ9osyLRqQ

This is seriously baffling. It looks like it's nose down. And they definitely still had fuel.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Isn't it just further evidence leading to a stall?

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
If they did stall it doesn't look to me like they weren't even attempting recovery. Looks like it just drove straight into the ground at 45 degrees nose low.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

overdesigned posted:

If they did stall it doesn't look to me like they weren't even attempting recovery. Looks like it just drove straight into the ground at 45 degrees nose low.

Its a Boeing, not an Airbus. If you want to spin it into the ground you just have to pull through the stick pusher.

One thing that seems to be popular on AVHerald is tailplane icing which is unrecoverable.

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Mar 22, 2016

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Will a 737 break a stall and dive even with full-up elevators? I thought they buffet heavily and drop like a rock, nose up.

Or is that an Airbus feature?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Jealous Cow posted:

Will a 737 break a stall and dive even with full-up elevators? I thought they buffet heavily and drop like a rock, nose up.

Or is that an Airbus feature?

That is how a well designed aircraft stalls. If you were to stall during a turn you can stall one wing before the other and then you enter a spin as you have asymetric lift. They were to the left of the runway, they could have over committed to the landing. Alternatively they could have been trying to go around but did the procedure out of order, like retracting flaps before applying go around power.

Fatigue could be a major factor.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

hobbesmaster posted:

That is how a well designed aircraft stalls. If you were to stall during a turn you can stall one wing before the other and then you enter a spin as you have asymetric lift. They were to the left of the runway, they could have over committed to the landing. Alternatively they could have been trying to go around but did the procedure out of order, like retracting flaps before applying go around power.

Fatigue could be a major factor.

I could never get a 172 to stall like this. Always broke hard left probably due to my fat rear end :v:

Maybe flaps up without enough speed, then the missed approach turn leading to the right wing stalling and putting them banked right nose down.

Looking at the approach procedures, missed in either direction is climb runway heading (close enough) to 940 then start a climbing turn to ~2200.

http://ottomanva.com/lib/charts/URRR.pdf

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! READ HERE
SWA's Pilot Union released their contract platform yesterday. While extremely optimistic, it's a fascinating read. I did find this bit interesting:

Southwest's economic fuel cost (“economic” meaning inclusive of hedging activity) in 2015 was $2.07 per gallon. The Company predicts its economic fuel cost in 2016 will be in the $1.70 - $1.75 per gallon range. The 2016 Southwest fuel consumption is estimated to be 1.959 billion gallons.

Southwest has made some unfortunate hedging bets in comparison to its competitors. Unhedged American is forecast to have a 2016 economic fuel cost in the $1.20 - $1.25 per gallon range.

That is crazy cheap jet fuel.

https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/swapa/assets/pdf/Negotiating/SWAPA_Contract_2012_Negotiation_Platform.pdf?mtime=1458670503

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Its not crazy cheap enough until Delta starts firing up their DC-9-50s again.

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice

hobbesmaster posted:

More like DC-10-30's and 742's

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

hobbesmaster posted:

Is it bad I could see them doing that? I mean, I wouldn't mind. Diesel 9s are cool as hell.

"Fuel prices are projected to be low for quite a while, so we've made the decision to add capacity to some of our thinner routes by re-activating 10 Douglas DC-9-50s. These aircraft are in addition to 91 Boeing 717s, 65 MD-90s, 737-900s, and A321s we've added in the last few years, as well as CRJ-200s being pulled from desert storage because we want All The Planes."

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

CBJSprague24 posted:

Is it bad I could see them doing that? I mean, I wouldn't mind. Diesel 9s are cool as hell.

"Fuel prices are projected to be low for quite a while, so we've made the decision to add capacity to some of our thinner routes by re-activating 10 Douglas DC-9-50s. These aircraft are in addition to 91 Boeing 717s, 65 MD-90s, 737-900s, and A321s we've added in the last few years, as well as CRJ-200s being pulled from desert storage because we want All The Planes."

Didn't they just put in a firm order for mainline E-195s?

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
JBU29 had a nose gear issue in Nassau today

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fk8BGb3mpN4

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Looks like a good landing.

Elmon
Aug 20, 2013

The Ferret King posted:

Looks like a good landing.

Didn't even notice until you said that. Just assumed bishes was talking about being stuck somewhere for a bit.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous
So I guess there's a contingent of us at PPW.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

hobbesmaster posted:

Didn't they just put in a firm order for mainline E-195s?

I think they're E190s coming from Air Canada.

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

In my country this is definitely not offensive!
Nap Ghost

vessbot posted:

So I guess there's a contingent of us at PPW.

Uhhh... maybe.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

CBJSprague24 posted:

I think they're E190s coming from Air Canada.

Please tell me this makes it more likely I'll be on an A320 when I've got to fly AC, instead of being jammed onto a flying pencil...

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

With BRU still closed, Brussels Airlines (known as Sabena once upon a time) has had to get creative with keeping their operations rolling:

-RJ-100 flights operating to/from BRU are using Antwerp, with shuttle service to BRU.
-Most A319 & A320 flights are running from Liege, with shuttle service to BRU.
-A330 and other longhaul flights are operating from Frankfurt and Zurich to tie into Star Alliance connections from partner airlines, with connections to Antwerp from Zurich on RJ-100s and Frankfurt & Munich to Liege on Lufthansa.

http://crankyflier.com/2016/03/29/with-brussels-airport-still-closed-brussels-airlines-is-getting-creative/

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

PT6A posted:

Please tell me this makes it more likely I'll be on an A320 when I've got to fly AC, instead of being jammed onto a flying pencil...

Brazil makes awesome regional jets for passengers, unlike Canada. :colbert:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

fordan posted:

Those coach seats are the best cheap seats on any narrow body aircraft. 18.25" seat width!

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

fordan posted:

This is true. I'm saying I hope these flights get reassigned to bigger jets, and not to the miserable CRJs.

hobbesmaster posted:

Those coach seats are the best cheap seats on any narrow body aircraft. 18.25" seat width!

The only mark against the E-jets (maybe just the E170s) is that, at least with regard to Air Canada, they don't have hot food in business class, so I know a lot of people will try to avoid flying them for long flights if travelling in business class.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

PT6A posted:

This is true. I'm saying I hope these flights get reassigned to bigger jets, and not to the miserable CRJs.

The only mark against the E-jets (maybe just the E170s) is that, at least with regard to Air Canada, they don't have hot food in business class, so I know a lot of people will try to avoid flying them for long flights if travelling in business class.

What kind of flights are served by E-jets that are long enough where someone would want airline food?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Jealous Cow posted:

What kind of flights are served by E-jets that are long enough where someone would want airline food?

I've been on them for Calgary to Toronto, and Calgary to Montreal, as well as the return flights. Westbound on the latter can be almost 5 hours, not counting the time you're spending before and after the flight where you can't reasonably get something to eat.

Air Canada's business class breakfast is usually not that bad, compared to the options in the airport terminals at least.

I'm not saying it's a deciding factor for me personally, just that I know people who consciously avoid the E-Jets for that reason.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

CBJSprague24 posted:

With BRU still closed, Brussels Airlines (known as Sabena once upon a time) has had to get creative with keeping their operations rolling:

-RJ-100 flights operating to/from BRU are using Antwerp, with shuttle service to BRU.
-Most A319 & A320 flights are running from Liege, with shuttle service to BRU.
-A330 and other longhaul flights are operating from Frankfurt and Zurich to tie into Star Alliance connections from partner airlines, with connections to Antwerp from Zurich on RJ-100s and Frankfurt & Munich to Liege on Lufthansa.

http://crankyflier.com/2016/03/29/with-brussels-airport-still-closed-brussels-airlines-is-getting-creative/

That's good. I'm working on alternative transport from Amsterdam to Brussels for a family member. Delta / KLM offer to reroute you to Amsterdam, Paris, Luxembourg, or Dusseldorf if you have a ticket to Brussels. Don't know what they offer from there.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

CharlesM posted:

That's good. I'm working on alternative transport from Amsterdam to Brussels for a family member. Delta / KLM offer to reroute you to Amsterdam, Paris, Luxembourg, or Dusseldorf if you have a ticket to Brussels. Don't know what they offer from there.

The train system is quite good to get around.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

e.pilot posted:

The train system is quite good to get around.

Yeah, that's what I've done.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Reports are coming in that former Canadian Minster of Transport Jean Lapierre died in a plane crash today in remote Quebec.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

bunnyofdoom posted:

Reports are coming in that former Canadian Minster of Transport Jean Lapierre died in a plane crash today in remote Quebec.

The reports I've seen indicate a "Mitsubishi turboprop." The MU-2 curse strikes again, I guess. :smith:

EDIT: Such a cool plane, there used to be one flying out of Calgary Springbank when I was flying there.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Looks like it might be the curse of flying into freezing fog.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

The Ferret King posted:

Looks like it might be the curse of flying into freezing fog.

plus high winds

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Jealous Cow posted:

Well, someone hasn't been in first class.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever

PT6A posted:

Hi! E-175 driver here. We have ovens! This has nothing to do with the E170/175, and everything to do with air canada. We serve hot food on plenty of flights in first. (I want to say 900+ or maybe it's 999+ miles too lazy to go look it up.)

Also, as to the "why would you want a meal", I've blocked over 5 hours in that thing after we had to deice in Fairbanks. That's plenty long enough to want a meal. The average stage being closer to about 2 1/2 hrs tho, but a few good 3-3.5 hr runs that are more typical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

I didn't give a poo poo before, not an airplane nerd, but I am falling deeply in love with Boeing engineering. Passed my B-767-300 systems oral. It's so retro futuristic and semi-automatic. And some of the system design choices... I can picture some dorky aerospace engineer sperg making decisions on how things should be that totally make sense in their head but now leave pilots scratching theirs :swoon:

• Locked thread