Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Masochist gold: https://portland.craigslist.org/clk/cto/5502482256.html

By God, it's beautiful, though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

blk posted:

It's not the G60 which means it's Just Plain Rad. And Holy poo poo it still has the stock suspension and it's sooo pretty!!!! :swoon:

Ain't nobody giving 'em $20k for it though.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

The VR6 compromises the handling, you really want the turbo 4 cylinder one :colbert:

it really is shockingly beautiful though, no rust for a Karmann built car too

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Wait, why is the front interior beige and the rear gray?

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

keykey posted:

Wait, why is the front interior beige and the rear gray?

I'm guessing it's the lighting, carpet matches the seats in pic 6 and still matches in pic 11.

Spotted similar at the dealer, but not for sale: (ignore the meme)

This Corrado was in similar condition, possibly better, with maybe double the miles. Maybe not worth the $20k, but it's certainly what you'll have to pay if you want an example like this.
The last Corrado I saw for sale in not-hosed-with driving condition was going for $5k, and it was gone in less than a week.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

blk posted:

Is it masochism because it's a VW or because it's a Corrado?

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Is it masochism because it's a VW or because it's a Corrado?

Corrados are built from the same parts the the mk3 Golfs, Jettas and Passats are built with, to the point you can play LEGO with the engine, suspension, drivetrain and interior bits. Plastic thermosat housings, timebomb automatic transmissions, timing chain guides with a 80k-100k mile lifespan, oil cooler seals that like to split, etc.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

NoWake posted:

Corrados are built from the same parts the the mk3 Golfs, Jettas and Passats are built with, to the point you can play LEGO with the engine, suspension, drivetrain and interior bits. Plastic thermosat housings, timebomb automatic transmissions, timing chain guides with a 80k-100k mile lifespan, oil cooler seals that like to split, etc.

It's actually worse than that. If I recall correctly the non-VR6 ones are Mk2s but the VR6 ones are a Frankenstein hybrid of Mk2 and Mk3 bits.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

scuz posted:

Ain't nobody giving 'em $20k for it though.

wait that's not a typo?
Thought there was an extra 0.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

wait that's not a typo?
Thought there was an extra 0.
Nosiree. They even had the audacity to put up the original price sheet from the dealer, which is 24 years old and is only $4,000 more dollars than his asking price.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

scuz posted:

Nosiree. They even had the audacity to put up the original price sheet from the dealer, which is 24 years old and is only $4,000 more dollars than his asking price.

gently caress that. That's the price of a BRAND NEW Scirocco

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

That's an irrelevant fact in the US where we can't buy a BRAND NEW Scirocco.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Not available for us american scum :v:

Stemmler
May 17, 2004

http://newyork.craigslist.org/lgi/cto/5475286215.html

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Reliable gold? Too few miles? Don't know much about civics accords.

https://buffalo.craigslist.org/cto/5477719402.html

VVVV oops :eng101:

Cage fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Mar 25, 2016

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I assume you mean Accord. Aside from the PITA brake rotor design, they are extremely reliable. I see them nearly every day, 23 years after production ended.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Cage posted:

Those accords are pretty bulletproof. I'd be a little scared of the miles being that low but I drove a 96 Civic the other week with 85k miles on the odo and it was tight as a drum and the only thing I could turn up was just a minor valve cover leak.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Cage posted:

I had this exact same car with about 250k more miles on it. It ran about 20k miles without me putting oil in it because it burned it almost as fast as I could pour it in. It was still running when I traded it for a set of tires for my civic. I'm pretty sure the engine is just for show and they're moved by some variety of magic because they last forever.

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005

Cage posted:

I have a 92 EX coupe with roughly 140k on it. Well my son has it at college in Montana.
They are pretty reliable, just expect weird electrical issues from the ancient ecu/tcu's, various relays and whatnot. When I bought mine the auto would not shift into 4th. Pulled the tcu and there was a burnt resistor on the board. Swapped the resistor for $2 and it was good to go.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
I'd look for hidden rust, given the location. Hondas (and Japanese cars in general) were pretty poo poo about rust resistance until the late 90s, at least.

Otherwise: I have a 1992 that's spent most of it's life in the desert. The biggest problems I've had have been: an ignition switch failure (in almost exactly the same manner as described for the GM ignition switches), and repeated ball joint replacements and one near-failure due to loving aftermarket ball joints all having boots that might as well be made out of newsprint. I've had no other electrical gremlins; probably because there's been little to no corrosion. I've abused the gently caress out of it for ~35,000 miles, and my dad neglected the gently caress out of it for a couple of years. He let it sludge, which I have, apparently, fixed by doing a few short-interval oil changes. At least, the oil is coming out clean, and the fuel economy is back where it should be. (My last highway tank was 36.2 mpg)

Average cost of maintenance for the thing when I was only doing about half the work myself was maybe 500 dollars a year. It's lower now.

Some poo poo is arranged really oddly. Windshield washer reservoir required going through the wheel well and doing the entire job by feel. Also, either there's some trick to it I wasn't getting, or tightening the accessory belts requires three hands. And I had to remove the cruise control and the battery to change the headlights. (Might have been possible to do it without removing them if the retaining rings hadn't been stuck.)

Overall it's probably the best car I've ever owned. It certainly exceeded my initial expectations by more than any car I've ever owned. The only thing I'd change is that I'd rather have a wagon (and I guess modern safety features would be nice).

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009
http://longisland.craigslist.org/cto/5509172514.html

:downs:

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Thats a scam listing. Local Craigslist has them all the time, always with the same style of nonsense to beat some filter.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/cto/5511077286.html

How abusive would this relationship be?

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

In a relationship with a front wheel drive Jaaag, there are no survivors.

So to answer your question: Very. Without the benefit of RWD.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
That isn't a FWD Jag...

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Tell that to the seller!

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Were there ever any FWD Jags?

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
Does the AWD, Mondeo based X Type count? Because that's as close as they ever got.

Q_res fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Mar 28, 2016

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

blk posted:

Were there ever any FWD Jags?

The jaguar X-type. it was also made in 04. I don't see how anybody could confuse the two, though.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Powershift posted:

The jaguar X-type. it was also made in 04. I don't see how anybody could confuse the two, though.

That's AWD :colbert:

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

Powershift posted:

What does it matter, it's a Jaaaaaaag

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

blk posted:

That's AWD :colbert:

Depends on market - a lot of them were FWD diesels.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

dissss posted:

Depends on market - a lot of them were FWD diesels.

hissssssss

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
fwd= four wheel drive duh. A jag owner does not have a world view that includes cars where only the front wheels turn around by power. Uncivilized.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^
Jaguar owners during the ford-heavy years aren't really jaguar owners

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Octopus Magic posted:

Jaguar owners during the ford-heavy years aren't really jaguar owners

But those other owners are all dead now.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

blk posted:

How abusive would this relationship be?

The reason all Jags have "low miles" is because they don't run long enough between major breakdowns to be driven very far.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

VideoTapir posted:

I'd look for hidden rust, given the location. Hondas (and Japanese cars in general) were pretty poo poo about rust resistance until the late 90s, at least.

Otherwise: I have a 1992 that's spent most of it's life in the desert. The biggest problems I've had have been: an ignition switch failure (in almost exactly the same manner as described for the GM ignition switches), and repeated ball joint replacements and one near-failure due to loving aftermarket ball joints all having boots that might as well be made out of newsprint. I've had no other electrical gremlins; probably because there's been little to no corrosion. I've abused the gently caress out of it for ~35,000 miles, and my dad neglected the gently caress out of it for a couple of years. He let it sludge, which I have, apparently, fixed by doing a few short-interval oil changes. At least, the oil is coming out clean, and the fuel economy is back where it should be. (My last highway tank was 36.2 mpg)

Average cost of maintenance for the thing when I was only doing about half the work myself was maybe 500 dollars a year. It's lower now.

Some poo poo is arranged really oddly. Windshield washer reservoir required going through the wheel well and doing the entire job by feel. Also, either there's some trick to it I wasn't getting, or tightening the accessory belts requires three hands. And I had to remove the cruise control and the battery to change the headlights. (Might have been possible to do it without removing them if the retaining rings hadn't been stuck.)

Overall it's probably the best car I've ever owned. It certainly exceeded my initial expectations by more than any car I've ever owned. The only thing I'd change is that I'd rather have a wagon (and I guess modern safety features would be nice).

Agreed.

Because I am a sucker and help my friends I have been involved in wheel bearing, brake, and/or balljoint jobs on these cars 3 times now. My lesson learned: if you own that generation of Accord, and need to do any one of those jobs, just do all of them while you are in there. You can't get the rotors off without taking out the unit bearings (possibly chowdering them in the process if you aren't careful), and you can't do the balljoints effectively without removing both of those. Balljoints are cheap, so if you are in there for any one of those reasons, just slam all of the parts in at once and move on with your life.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

https://inlandempire.craigslist.org/rvs/5453159778.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

If the Raiders move back to LA, that ride will be in high demand.