Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kafziel
Nov 11, 2009

Ciaphas posted:

I would be deliriously happy if this game (and others besides) would crib from GW2 on a glamour/dye redesign. That is a game that got pretty MMO princess right, for all its other faults.

Well, almost. Transmutation charges being something you need to cash shop for is pretty awful. Yes you can occasionally get them free but that's still bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Are sun cats more muscular than moon cats?

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Who's up for some extreme seph action on Leviathan tonight

yes I'm spending my friday night raiding why do you ask

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

kafziel posted:

Well, almost. Transmutation charges being something you need to cash shop for is pretty awful. Yes you can occasionally get them free but that's still bad.

Well ok, crib the UX stuff from GW2, not the ANet business practices :v:

jellycat
Nov 5, 2012

it's a nice day
I wish you could specify glamours for particular jobs or even gear sets. Having to share the same glamour for Scholar and White Mage isn't fun.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Ciaphas posted:

Well ok, crib the UX stuff from GW2, not the ANet business practices :v:

Semi-possible, they're so good because they fit in with the business model so well. Mainly the whole 'unlimited dyes, wardrobe appearance saving etc.' Could certainly see some of the other stuff getting in but it wouldn't be as good as in GW2.

Also I stuck with male Hyur and I haven't even used my free fantasia yet. #Hyur4lyfe.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Illuen posted:

For the record, Roes are the best anime princess.

Yes they are.

Thunk
Oct 15, 2007
Do I need to purchase the game from Squeenix and get a registration code before I can start the "free" trial? I think that's what it's trying to tell me...

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Which is a bit of a shame, because that one short pixie haircut that it seems like 90% of catgirls use that's all "look at me, my hair's all messy and cute" winds up being "morning hygiene can wait until after coffee" on a Roe.

But that's actually the best reason to use it on a Roe.

Also, which hairdo is that? I just hope I didn't end up picking it on my fantasia'd catgirl.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Thunk posted:

Do I need to purchase the game from Squeenix and get a registration code before I can start the "free" trial? I think that's what it's trying to tell me...

No, that would entirely defeat the purpose of a free trial. :confused:

All you need to do is install the game and set up a Square Enix account: http://www.ffxiv-freetrial.com/na/

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

99% of the femroe haircuts suck :(

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Good thing the 1% showed up on a scion femroe

As far as a personal confession, Confused Botanist actually started off as a femroe, but I just couldn't get used to the nose. Couldn't be happier with musclehyur at least

Thunk
Oct 15, 2007

Solumin posted:

No, that would entirely defeat the purpose of a free trial. :confused:

All you need to do is install the game and set up a Square Enix account: http://www.ffxiv-freetrial.com/na/

Okay. I thought that might have been the reason the launcher kept crashing on me. Turns out the installer wasn't just rear end-covering when it told me to turn off my antivirus. That's another strike on top of the lovely website, and I haven't even started playing yet.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

No love for midlanders? Midlanders make great anime princesses, don't hate us because we don't have extra bits stuck on our heads!

Eimi fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Mar 25, 2016

kojei
Feb 12, 2008

Thunk posted:

Okay. I thought that might have been the reason the launcher kept crashing on me. Turns out the installer wasn't just rear end-covering when it told me to turn off my antivirus. That's another strike on top of the lovely website, and I haven't even started playing yet.

What poo poo tier antivirus are you running that's actively interfering with legitimate application installers

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Rand Brittain posted:

Are sun cats more muscular than moon cats?

Don't think so. Moon Cats have cute little fangs tho.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

a kitten posted:

Don't think so. Moon Cats have cute little fangs tho.

If you are going to be a cat be a Moon Cat because tiny fangs are the best.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

kojei posted:

What poo poo tier antivirus are you running that's actively interfering with legitimate application installers

Yeah, seriously. Is it McAfee? Norton? It's a bit off topic for this thread, but try to get antivirus that isn't actually ransomware.

While the launcher does have its faults, it would definitely tell you that you don't have the free trial, not just start crashing.

Badingading
Sep 2, 2011

The only notable differences between sun and moon cats apart from maybe some available skin colors IIRC are that sun cats have the cat eyes with thin slits and moon cats have the fangs.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Badingading posted:

The only notable differences between sun and moon cats apart from maybe some available skin colors IIRC are that sun cats have the cat eyes with thin slits and moon cats have the fangs.

I think they might have different tails and ears too? Keepers' tails are longer and skinner, and their ears are longer and thinner. According to the wiki, anyway. Probably not as noticeable as the fangs are though.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

:perfect:

Thunk
Oct 15, 2007

Solumin posted:

Yeah, seriously. Is it McAfee? Norton? It's a bit off topic for this thread, but try to get antivirus that isn't actually ransomware.

While the launcher does have its faults, it would definitely tell you that you don't have the free trial, not just start crashing.

Avast.

Took a few tries to get the launcher to download everything, but it's working now.

Spideycloned
Aug 5, 2004

Starfleet Dental

In Dear Leader, we trust.
So I hit 60 WHM. Going for 28 THM before really doing content(swiftcast), but as I bought a set of 220 crafted gear and I have a ilevel 200 weapon, where do I start? Should I just jump into poo poo like midas or maybe do void ark first?

Suggestions?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

If you already have a full set of 220 gear, you will get nothing useful out of Void Ark, and normal Midas gear will only be sidegrades. Your only way up from there is lore gear, Seph EX and Midas Savage.

Truth Quark
Mar 21, 2010

:ffg:
EAT THE DONUTS
:ffg:

Spideycloned posted:

So I hit 60 WHM. Going for 28 THM before really doing content(swiftcast), but as I bought a set of 220 crafted gear and I have a ilevel 200 weapon, where do I start? Should I just jump into poo poo like midas or maybe do void ark first?

Suggestions?

Midas is still cool to do though, but as stated SephEx and Midas Savage are the only dungeons that will drop upgrades for you. Do note that you can only get the i230 lore weapon by doing Midas 4 a total of seven times (and only once per week!), so you should probably get started on that.

You also only need THM 26 for swiftcast. :eng101:

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

Fister Roboto posted:

If you already have a full set of 220 gear, you will get nothing useful out of Void Ark

Actually, a single run of it will let you upgrade your i200 weapon to an i210, so I'd say go for that first. There's bound to be a second and probably third stage to the VA line anyway, so you may as well get the first one under your belt

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

My MMO playing buddy loves this game but I bounced off it a bit after grinding 1-60 in 3.1.

He says that they've majorly boosted the 1-50 and 50-60 exp since then but I can't find out if this is true or not and he's kinda like Grima Wormtongue for this game, have they?

On a related note, looking to switch classes from SMN since aside from Deathflare it wasn't really my cup of tea, whats a good bursty action packed class to make a nice contrast, preferably one with lots of instants and off-GCD stuff?

Communist Thoughts fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Mar 26, 2016

kojei
Feb 12, 2008

nopantsjack posted:

On a related note, looking to switch classes from SMN since aside from Deathflare it wasn't really my cup of tea, whats a good bursty action packed class to make a nice contrast, preferably one with lots of instants and off-GCD stuff?

Machinist's entire gimmick is huge bursts and more instants than you know what to do with.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Monk openers also have quite a bit of burst, but agreed that Machinist is probably the most bursty of the lot.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

This is the best thing.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
That goon from a while back who said he wasn't gonna bother with flying must have been in the Sea of Clouds at the time and judged every zone based off of that. This is the worst thing.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Thunk posted:

Avast.

Took a few tries to get the launcher to download everything, but it's working now.

Glad it's working. I thought Avast was supposed to be pretty good, it's a shame you had trouble.
I hope you enjoy the game!

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

SonicRulez posted:

That goon from a while back who said he wasn't gonna bother with flying must have been in the Sea of Clouds at the time and judged every zone based off of that. This is the worst thing.

It's really not that bad.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

I've had Avast for years and I've been playing xiv since 1.0 launch without issue :confused:

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Lemon-Lime posted:

But that's actually the best reason to use it on a Roe.

Also, which hairdo is that? I just hope I didn't end up picking it on my fantasia'd catgirl.

Oh, that's a cute haircut! I should totally use it on....

...on second thought, never mind.

Thunk
Oct 15, 2007

Solumin posted:

Glad it's working. I thought Avast was supposed to be pretty good, it's a shame you had trouble.
I hope you enjoy the game!

Yeah, I've had it since my WoW days since it was on Blizzard's recommended list. But the FFXIV launcher crashed at first, then when I reinstalled with Avast off, it worked. Oh, well.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Verranicus posted:

It's really not that bad.

I exaggerated, but it wasn't fun at any point and it's divided by a big gorge so you either have to walk all the way back to Ishgard and enter from the other side or teleport. And sure the teleport money is nothing, but it's the principle.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Oh, that's a cute haircut! I should totally use it on....

...on second thought, never mind.

yeah it really doesn't work, does it :v:

hosed around a bit but ended up settling on straight black, highlights really look bad to me on most of the hairstyles

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Mar 26, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

nopantsjack posted:

My MMO playing buddy loves this game but I bounced off it a bit after grinding 1-60 in 3.1.

He says that they've majorly boosted the 1-50 and 50-60 exp since then but I can't find out if this is true or not and he's kinda like Grima Wormtongue for this game, have they?
Dunno about 1-50, but 50-60 is faster now because they added xp to the level 50 dungeons and boosted the xp from the 51-59 dungeons pretty significantly. Not fast enough to be free, but faster.

• Locked thread