Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

WarLocke posted:

Also, that Gatecrasher video was dope, I am hype for this mod. :f5:

Cheers, really happy how it turned out for my first playtest after all the core changes were done. If that's what a standard mission with the reinforcements looks like it, I think it'll be a winner as I roll it out through the rest of the campaign mission types.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Maluco Marinero posted:

You can now, screenshots don't really show what it's about so here's a vid.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-X4yXlU3co

https://github.com/MalucoMarinero/XCOM2GuerillaWarfare/issues

Here's the elevator pitch as I posted it on the video:

That looks pretty fun, only thing I'd suggest is that it would probably be a good idea to reduce the amount of corpses needed for research/building stuff, as it might be prohibitively expensive/difficult to develop some upgrades, like Predator Armor.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

ZearothK posted:

That looks pretty fun, only thing I'd suggest is that it would probably be a good idea to reduce the amount of corpses needed for research/building stuff, as it might be prohibitively expensive/difficult to develop some upgrades, like Predator Armor.

Yeah, I said it near the tail end of the video but I'll definitely have my eye on the corpse costs for various technologies. If Fulton Harness becomes an item (which I feel like it will, it'll make for a trade off choice in inventory), that'll offset the difficulty of obtaining bodies a bit, but changing the missions to be more dangerous and less yielding of loot will absolutely impact the strategy layer across the board. I'll just balance one step at a time though rather than preempt it. Might even see if I can keep things balanced at squad size 4-6 rather than immediately reach for all of Long War's tricks.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Maluco Marinero posted:

Might even see if I can keep things balanced at squad size 4-6 rather than immediately reach for all of Long War's tricks.

Hell, if you can pull off what the Gunpoint Dev had to say about xcom 2 (variable squad sizes equal to the mission) I think I'd love you.

That's a good read by the way.

Exposure
Apr 4, 2014

Thyrork posted:

Hell, if you can pull off what the Gunpoint Dev had to say about xcom 2 (variable squad sizes equal to the mission) I think I'd love you.

It should be easy enough, it's a setting that can be easily added to the other mission types in XComMissions.ini (and the mission types themselves are split further, so a mission about rescuing a VIP from an ADVENT vehicle could have a different squad cap from rescuing a VIP from an ADVENT jail cell), albeit from my experiments with it I think it has a hard cap of 6 even if the game's otherwise set up for larger squad sizes. Might be related to another value I've missed though.

Exposure fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Mar 26, 2016

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

Thyrork posted:

Nice. I've been thinking along those lines too although I'll probably sort out all the mission configuration first. Something like an XCOM Threat Level as an extra bar that sits below the Avatar Counter.

The counter spikes when you kick rear end flawlessly, roll out new tech (oh poo poo they have plasma grenades!?!), the counter drops when you skip/fail missions, lose soldiers, etc.

When the counter is high reinforcement deployments are faster, initial garrisons are stronger, concealment sight ranges are increased (like with vigilance dark event), maybe even all pods activate on contact with a high threat level.

Then you add the [Notorious] status effect to your staple soldiers, which will make them a target priority. I think artificially limiting squad size is something I'd like to avoid, but maybe you can add disadvantages to rolling with a full squad to encourage different compositions. Stuff like 6 or more in squad removes concealment.

There's so many good ideas to mix in here to discourage snowballing while still giving the choice to the player, I think.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
God dammit I wish there was a mod to make the director talk like the cookie monster. This game sure has some overenounciating voice actors in pretty central roles, and I think it would be best to go full sesame street.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde
Oh and while I'm tossing ideas at you, Spending Intel to increase your odds or allow more options is a criminally underused gameplay feature. It might need the costs tweaking but its certainly something to look at.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

Thyrork posted:

Oh and while I'm tossing ideas at you, Spending Intel to increase your odds or allow more options is a criminally underused gameplay feature. It might need the costs tweaking but its certainly something to look at.

Yeah, I was a bit surprised that wasn't more heavily used given it showed up on that second to last mission. It sort of fits with what I was planning to do with supplies vs Intel, trying to make more missions have Intel rewards and put supply acquisition entirely on regional income and supply raids.

I mean, the mod is getting loftier by the second, but that is my goal, I think the only way to truly balance the ideas is to go whole hog and go further than just a mod.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Maluco Marinero posted:

Nice. I've been thinking along those lines too although I'll probably sort out all the mission configuration first. Something like an XCOM Threat Level as an extra bar that sits below the Avatar Counter.

The counter spikes when you kick rear end flawlessly, roll out new tech (oh poo poo they have plasma grenades!?!), the counter drops when you skip/fail missions, lose soldiers, etc.

When the counter is high reinforcement deployments are faster, initial garrisons are stronger, concealment sight ranges are increased (like with vigilance dark event), maybe even all pods activate on contact with a high threat level.

Then you add the [Notorious] status effect to your staple soldiers, which will make them a target priority. I think artificially limiting squad size is something I'd like to avoid, but maybe you can add disadvantages to rolling with a full squad to encourage different compositions. Stuff like 6 or more in squad removes concealment.

There's so many good ideas to mix in here to discourage snowballing while still giving the choice to the player, I think.
I like the idea in the comments section about stationing high-level soldiers in the Avenger to give you bonuses and a reason to not always use your a-team, if that could be worked out. As-is, I really like the idea behind your mod and want to see where it goes. I just don't have time to play more XCOM right now. :(

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Kavros posted:

Serial isn't even that big a deal anyway because of its high rate of flop. It would be cool, but it's not Fan Fire.

Gotta spec for 100% aim. It's great now that 100% guarantees no dodge so some jerk rear end officer doesn't interrupt your kill streak.

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

Exposure posted:

The .ini files that is modified by mods, located at Documents\My Games\XCOM2\XComGame\Config (that should be named stuff like XComMissions.ini, XComGameCore.ini, etc) can be freely deleted to force the game to update them, since it doesn't seem to automatically do so when a mod is uninstalled or otherwise unavailable. I have to do this whenever I switch from playing the game to using the SDK for example since the .ini files can still be referencing about 220+ mods that the SDK can't detect.

The default .ini files located where the game itself is installed (and is named more like DefaultMissions.ini, DefaultGameCore.ini, etc) shouldn't be touched since that's what the game calls upon for base game values before adding modifications to it, and thus will cause issues if it tries looking for say, DefaultMissions.ini or DefaultGameData.ini and finds nothing.

Awesome, thank you! :-)

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

It is cool when the movement preview says "it is safe to move here without getting spotted" and then moving there activates two groups of aliens. I think that is Cool.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Digirat posted:

It is cool when the movement preview says "it is safe to move here without getting spotted" and then moving there activates two groups of aliens. I think that is Cool.

Could you see those groups before?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Eheheheee

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug

You are a sick man.

I LIKE IT!

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Dogen posted:

Could you see those groups before?

Both were visible and had detection tiles displayed. I know you can run into detection tiles that won't be red because you can't currently see the enemy, but this was not the case

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

A different kind of floater.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Please make it so that it violently ejects the squad from its mouth at the start of the mission and that they're all rag-dolled.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
Can you do one with Donald Trump. And no skyranger bits. Just Trump.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Kinda busy here!

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

SynthOrange posted:

Kinda busy here!

Haha, nice man.

Salt n Reba McEntire
Nov 14, 2000

Kuparp.

"Take us in closer!"

" ... CLOSE RANGE?!"

(I love this!)

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Successfully had the skyranger drop troops in while blaring "What is love?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhrBDcQq2DM

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
You are a thread hero

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

SynthOrange posted:

This video contains content from SME, who has blocked it in your country on copyright grounds.
Fuckin' youtube.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I love the way zip mode makes the evac ropes go up a couple seconds before your soldiers actually do, so they all just superman up into the skyranger.

I got a loot drop with only 1 item in it, even though I had vulture. Does that mean without vulture there's a chance for loot to not have anything?

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
Synthorange when is the Skyranger Speaker System upgrade coming? We should be able to blare music into battle.

e. Didn't see the post count in the thread when I responded to something 3 pages ago lol.

Sounds good.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

We'd better evade this UFO that appeared out of thin air right next to us but is somehow 12500 miles away, by flying nowhere in particular and then staying perfectly still!

(The diameter of the earth is less than 8,000 miles.)

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

SynthOrange posted:

Successfully had the skyranger drop troops in while blaring "What is love?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhrBDcQq2DM
I believe Holding Out for a Hero would be the more appropriate choice.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I only said what played on that successful test, not what's on the soundtrack.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

SynthOrange posted:

I only said what played on that successful test, not what's on the soundtrack.
Hooray !! :drum:

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?
Welp, I just learned the hard way that AWC Phantom apparently doesn't do poo poo...

The dude currently selected is the one who triggered the Andromedon pod on my final move of last turn... and he he's still in concealment! So as far as I can tell AWC phantom does nothing except take away your overwatch until you get spotted! Worst bonus ability ever...

Time to try another Ironman run I guess... maybe third fourth fifth sixth seventh eighth time's the charm?

DoctorTristan fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Mar 26, 2016

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
Managed to get through all the Guerrilla Ops missions tonight. Not too concerned about the scaling of reinforcements as I'll go back to address that (it's in it's own map so I don't have to replicate it in every mission map), just making sure every mission behaves sensibly, awarding victory to missions where you bug out as long as you complete the strategic objective. I even turned the Protect the Device into a timed defense map, so you have to protect it for 8 turns to have a successful mission, and then you can evac.

e: also snuck in time to make a placeholder title card

Maluco Marinero fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Mar 26, 2016

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
This is looking loving amazing mate.

As for my all pods active run, I couldn't decide on any other mods to balance it out so I just knocked the difficulty down to veteran for a first attempt and it seems pretty spot on - it's a challenge and I'm losing guys but not so many that it's insurmountable. I'm fully prepared to eat those words once I get a few months in though. :v:

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

You are hitting all the right notes for me. :allears:

Captain Hair
Dec 31, 2007

Of course, that can backfire... some men like their bitches crazy.

Vib Rib posted:

Leonard Nimoy. :colbert:

Takei was the head/voice of the actual Seaman though? Though Nimoy was the narrator which I guess is Bradford.

If only there could be a mod for that, what I would give to hear "Commander, Xcom is suffering from the cold..." bonus points if you cut in the * VVVVT VRRRRRR* of the dream cast trying it's best to read that disc

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

What is the story mission that triggers the UFO hunting the Avenger? I've got a pretty decent A team in my current Commander/Ironman run, but not enough force depth to pull of an Avenger defense confidently, so I want to be ready for when that one hits.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Captain Hair posted:

Takei was the head/voice of the actual Seaman though? Though Nimoy was the narrator which I guess is Bradford.
No, that wasn't Takei either, that was Jeff Kramer, who's just some guy who does minor video game VA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

ZearothK posted:

What is the story mission that triggers the UFO hunting the Avenger? I've got a pretty decent A team in my current Commander/Ironman run, but not enough force depth to pull of an Avenger defense confidently, so I want to be ready for when that one hits.

It's random, though it can be brought about easier via a Dark Event, but it's never a definite thing, so it could happen whenever. Such as in May during a Legendary Ironman campaign. :negative: