Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Anyone looking for an alternative to rosstech cables. I got my obdeleven bluetooth adapter and it works amazing.

http://obdeleven.com/

Only limitation so far is cant adjust soundakter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

willroc7 posted:

Get HSTuning's RSR clutch.

CommieGIR posted:

You need the clutch and the pressure plate uprated, and HSTunings RSR clutch will do just what you want.

Sounds good guys, thanks. Looks like about $1k for the kit + install will be about $500?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Residency Evil posted:

Sounds good guys, thanks. Looks like about $1k for the kit + install will be about $500?

Alternative is: What engine do you have? If its not the VR6, you can upgrade to an OEM VR6 clutch and pressure plate and its usually more tune friendly, but you can easily out-tune it fast.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

Don Lapre posted:

Anyone looking for an alternative to rosstech cables. I got my obdeleven bluetooth adapter and it works amazing.

http://obdeleven.com/

Only limitation so far is cant adjust soundakter.
So it says programming, how far does that go? Like can it adjust ECU things or what?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

CommieGIR posted:

Alternative is: What engine do you have? If its not the VR6, you can upgrade to an OEM VR6 clutch and pressure plate and its usually more tune friendly, but you can easily out-tune it fast.

Just the 2.0T. I honestly want to keep things as stock as possible. My GTI is my daily driver and I've just been driving it in stock mode for the past 2-3 years. This is really just to hold me over until I get a Cayman in the next 1-2 years.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Residency Evil posted:

Just the 2.0T. I honestly want to keep things as stock as possible. My GTI is my daily driver and I've just been driving it in stock mode for the past 2-3 years. This is really just to hold me over until I get a Cayman in the next 1-2 years.

Then the VR6 clutch might be a better alternative. Its stronger than the OEM 2.0T clutch and plate.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

CommieGIR posted:

Then the VR6 clutch might be a better alternative. Its stronger than the OEM 2.0T clutch and plate.

What's the VR6 clutch? This is a 2010 GTI, 2.0T engine. Do you mean the Golf R clutch/plate?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

scuz posted:

So it says programming, how far does that go? Like can it adjust ECU things or what?

VCDS changes. Basically most of the stuff a rosstech cable can do. Clear codes, program modules. You cant flash your ecu with it.

You can for example, program your car for auto folding mirrors, full stability off, or led tails.

Here is an incomplete list of mk7 golf/gti tweaks

https://sites.google.com/a/naturalnetworks.ca/vw-golf-mk7-vcds-how-to/

On my car i set passenger mirror to dip in reverse, run led fogs with DRL, enabled power folding mirrors and flood lights, changed it so both tail lights come on when braking, enabled comfort open on kessey and fob.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Holy lol the place i called wanted to charge $2600 for a Southbend Stage II installed.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

I'm in the market to replace my aging car and one of the options is a 2015 or 2016 Golf R.
- Any major reliability issues I should be aware of?
- The local dealer is telling me they sell for MSRP or higher - is he full of poo poo?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Sheikh Djibouti posted:

- The local dealer is telling me they sell for MSRP or higher - is he full of poo poo?

He is not full of poo poo.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

Don Lapre posted:

He is not full of poo poo.

Ok many thanks! The dealer nearest me is full of slimier than usual assholes so I wasn't sure what to make of it when their rep told me that.

Red Dad Redemption fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Mar 24, 2016

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Residency Evil posted:

Holy lol the place i called wanted to charge $2600 for a Southbend Stage II installed.

Ok, looks like I found a top-rated local place that will do the install for $600. Before I buy the clutch:

1. You guys sure I want the HS Tuning one?
2. I don't need to replace the flywheel right?
3. Anything else I should ask him to replace/upgrade while he's in there? He mentioned the transmission mount maybe?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Anything in there. While it's apart might as well upgrade or replace any wear parts

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!

Residency Evil posted:

Ok, looks like I found a top-rated local place that will do the install for $600. Before I buy the clutch:

1. You guys sure I want the HS Tuning one?
2. I don't need to replace the flywheel right?
3. Anything else I should ask him to replace/upgrade while he's in there? He mentioned the transmission mount maybe?
1. Yes.
2. No, not unless yours is damaged which I doubt.
3. Shrug.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

willroc7 posted:

1. Yes.
2. No, not unless yours is damaged which I doubt.
3. Shrug.

Unless I go for this?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/281977907030

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!
Depends if you want it to feel factory or aftermarket. From what I've read, the RSR has the closest feel to stock. It's sourced mostly from VAG parts IIRC.

alternate.eago
Jul 19, 2006
Insert randomness here.
This is getting loving ridiculous: http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2016/03/24/volkswagen-emission-scandal-fix-court-hearing/82208076/

I just want to know if they are buying my car back or not, and if not how they are going to compensate me for the crazy loss in value. Just so I know if I have to keep it because its now mostly worthless, or I should start car shopping seriously.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

alternate.eago posted:

This is getting loving ridiculous: http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2016/03/24/volkswagen-emission-scandal-fix-court-hearing/82208076/

I just want to know if they are buying my car back or not, and if not how they are going to compensate me for the crazy loss in value. Just so I know if I have to keep it because its now mostly worthless, or I should start car shopping seriously.

Yeah I'm in the same boat with two cars. I really just want to know what I'm going to do. I don't like the being held in limbo like this.

Honestly I'd like to keep the car as is but I doubt that is going to happen.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
I'd like my car to be emissions compliant. I mean, these laws are in place for a reason. If they buy it back and scrap it because they can't do that, well, it wasn't my fault that they cheated, and I'll shop elsewhere.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

StandardVC10 posted:

I'd like my car to be emissions compliant. I mean, these laws are in place for a reason.

I guess.

I don't really agree that if my car were an SUV it would be fine but since it is lighter weight and a different body it is no bueno.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

That's just another reason not to drive an SUV. Southern California used to be terrible for air quality and still sort of is, so I don't want to be a part of the problem.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
April 21st is the official deadline for an EPA-VW Fix agreement.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

CommieGIR posted:

April 21st is the official deadline for an EPA-VW Fix agreement.

What happens after that?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

alternate.eago posted:

It's annoying but I'm assuming the judge had to see some evidence that it is progressing if he pushed it back another month.

Keeping my fingers crossed, I'm about ready to give up and sell/trade the fucker in because all of my equity is now gone and almost every single payment is eaten up by accelerating depreciation.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

So what are those TDIs worth nowadays? How much did they depreciate from new and how quickly, are we talking Nissan Leaf levels of falling off a cliff?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

So as I've found, the RSR is kit is basically the cobbled together from a bunch of OEM stuff that you can buy for half price. I think I'm going to go with this:

http://www.sachsperformance.com/Sac...ch-Kit::67.html

$750 shipped to the US with a throwout bearing. Seems to be a decent option?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Pryor on Fire posted:

So what are those TDIs worth nowadays? How much did they depreciate from new and how quickly, are we talking Nissan Leaf levels of falling off a cliff?

13-16% drop in value over the last 6 months for most 10-14 models. it's worse for the newer cars, obviously.

I was planning on selling my car in september/october for about 21k until the scandal hit. i'd be lucky to get 13k now.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

So 13k is your best guess for what year and how many miles exactly? Trying to get an idea of total depreciation from MSRP for different TDIs, just for curiosity's sake.

Are the TDIs selling for less than their equivalent old 2.5L versions? Because that would be hilarious if so.

Pryor on Fire fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Mar 24, 2016

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Pryor on Fire posted:

So 13k is your best guess for what year and how many miles exactly? Trying to get an idea of total depreciation from MSRP for different TDIs, just for curiosity's sake.

Are the TDIs selling for less than their equivalent old 2.5L versions? Because that would be hilarious if so.

I dunno man, I'm only familiar with what I have, a fully loaded '13 sportwagen

alternate.eago
Jul 19, 2006
Insert randomness here.
For shits and giggles I had mine valued on trade in they offered 9k.

EDIT: 2013 Sportwagen premium sound option.

alternate.eago fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Mar 25, 2016

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Sheikh Djibouti posted:

I'm in the market to replace my aging car and one of the options is a 2015 or 2016 Golf R.
- Any major reliability issues I should be aware of?

The only issues were early EARLY turbo issues, as in EU cars. MSRP is basically what they are going for because they don't sit on the lot for more than a couple days. The 2016 has a manual option vs the 2015 only being DSG. The 2016 also gets the MIBII head unit which is a much much better system than the one in the '15. Still loving my R, just wish people would stop scratching the poo poo out of it. Seems like every day there's a new spot where some jackass walked too close and scratched it. Don't get black, the paint is so thin.

gigButt
Oct 22, 2008

alternate.eago posted:

I dont think it is fair to want them to pay for the loss in value. There isn't anything they can do about the market value of a car. That's up to the public. Now if they refuse to fix the car and get it up to standards that's a different conversation but still doesn't impact what the car is worth in the used market vs what VW is responsible for. You are not being forced to sell the car.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
I don't think it's fair to mislead, lie to, or willfully circumvent the rules of a regulatory agency, and at the same time do the same to your customers. If it were a $75 hoverboard from china, oh well, but these are substantially bigger purchases where expected resale value after depreciation is a large part of the deal and something a customer has some control over, e.g., want to sell your car for more down the line, take good care of it.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

gigButt posted:

I dont think it is fair to want them to pay for the loss in value. There isn't anything they can do about the market value of a car. That's up to the public. Now if they refuse to fix the car and get it up to standards that's a different conversation but still doesn't impact what the car is worth in the used market vs what VW is responsible for. You are not being forced to sell the car.

This standard only exists in your head. Companies can rightfully be sued for misleading shareholders on news that would/did lower stock values (this is also happening with vw).

And what would happen to me today if my car was hit and totalled? I would be offered loving nothing for it.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Residency Evil posted:

So as I've found, the RSR is kit is basically the cobbled together from a bunch of OEM stuff that you can buy for half price. I think I'm going to go with this:

http://www.sachsperformance.com/Sac...ch-Kit::67.html

$750 shipped to the US with a throwout bearing. Seems to be a decent option?

Holy poo poo, I just saved $1200! Turns out that the entire time I thought my clutch was going (stuttering/revs going up in high gears, especially uphill, initially just when running my APR tune but more recently in stock mode as well), it was really the lovely stock coil packs. I replaced the plugs/coil packs with the red R8 ones and things are just peachy. No issues at WOT even with the tune, at all. Awesome. :dance:

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
Is there anywhere that shows pre-dieselgate values for the affected cars?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

gigButt posted:

Volkswagen is directly responsible for the loss in value, it is "fair" to hang them on the hook for the decisions they willingly made as a company. The public didn't cheat on emissions, Volkswagen did.
Volkswagen is not a person, please excise that idea from your head because lmao you'll be taken for a ride your whole life with thoughts like that.

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Mar 27, 2016

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

KakerMix posted:

Volkswagen is directly responsible for the loss in value, it is "fair" to hang them on the hook for the decisions they willingly made as a company. The public didn't cheat on emissions, Volkswagen did.
Volkswagen is not a person, please excise that idea from your head because lmao you'll be taken for a ride your whole like with thoughts like that.

True, but unfortunately they won't be able to pay for the loss in value and its an unrealistic expectation. Maybe some sort of long term payment system where they send monthly checks to make up for the loss in value might be possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valithan
Mar 2, 2003
I'm strongly considering pulling the trigger on really clean Rabbit in my area as my new DD. My only issue is that the car has an aftermarket exhaust that is probably going to be too loud for where I live. I don't know anything about aftermarket parts, if I want to swap it out where would I turn to in order to get an OEM Exhaust system? Junkyard? Rockauto?