Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Haskell9 posted:

One of my coworkers pre-ordered a Rift and plays Elite so in a few days when it arrives basically our entire I.T. shop plans to head to his house to check it out.

Make him use the new VR graphics settings in options, it is loving voodoo, I did for the first time tonight and it is perfectly smooth all the time.
It's staggering what they have done, just unbelievable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

ideate posted:

"render"

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/239709734/star-traders/posts/1528032

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

D_Smart posted:

Wrong.

This is how analysts work. You make predictions/analysis based on information at hand, and forecast trends.

At the time, with the cash they were rumored to have, I put that at three months.

At the time, even though I predicted - and posted about it - I had no idea that they would be dumb enough to release 2.0 in the condition that they did in order to max sales over the Q4 (their best time of the year btw) period.

Then they did.

And from the money they raised, last I checked, it bought them like maybe two months of funding. Tops.

Which is why I continue to maintain that they ARE low on funds, rely on the on-going funding in order to keep funding this dream; and that they are already in crisis mode.

I am sticking to my story because I know with 100% certainty, that I'm right.

Why is your Twitter in German lol

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I predicted this back on the 6th of Okt

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

If you look at the original image, the arm is in the right place. I'm guessing they had to re-shop the arm tighter in to get it printed.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/239709734/star-traders/posts/1525957

loving pathetic.

Lord Kinbote
Feb 27, 2016

ideate posted:

wait someone posted this already and I missed it right

This thread is the best.

Haskell9
Sep 23, 2008

post it live
The Great Twist

peter gabriel posted:

Make him use the new VR graphics settings in options, it is loving voodoo, I did for the first time tonight and it is perfectly smooth all the time.
It's staggering what they have done, just unbelievable

So noted. I allow myself one nerd toy per season. For Spring it's a 4K monitor, no buyer's regret it's pretty awesome and 8k would make my PC explode so waiting for the next gen GPUs for that. If poo poo's as cool as you say summer's looking like a VR headset and hanging with the diamond frogs whether rift or vive I currently dunno.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Look, while we are at it, something has been bugging me for a while, I didn't say anything because it is insane, but in light of recent developments, doesn't this:

Have an uncanny resemblance to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8w0uC7zheXY

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Haskell9 posted:

So noted. I allow myself one nerd toy per season. For Spring it's a 4K monitor, no buyer's regret it's pretty awesome and 8k would make my PC explode so waiting for the next gen GPUs for that. If poo poo's as cool as you say summer's looking like a VR headset and hanging with the diamond frogs whether rift or vive I currently dunno.

I played ED at a steady 75fps using a Nvidia 960 tonight just to give you an idea of the voodoo levels going on here

Haskell9
Sep 23, 2008

post it live
The Great Twist

peter gabriel posted:

I played ED at a steady 75fps using a Nvidia 960 tonight just to give you an idea of the voodoo levels going on here

Oculus Rift vs Vive. You're thoughts?

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

ideate posted:

wait someone posted this already and I missed it right

Hilariously if you look at the pelvis area somebody clearly made the cardboard standee slightly thinner than the original model.

Which means somebody not only photoshopped the image but judged that Jessica Biel is too zaftig accurately represent Sandi.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

D_Smart posted:

And from the money they raised, last I checked, it bought them like maybe two months of funding. Tops.

It bought them two months of funding from the 90 days you predicted in Oktober? Tops?

I mean, I'm not a callendarologist.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

I've tried delving, and it's tough to work out where they stole crobert's body from, though I'm 100% sure it's another shop, because they weirdly left the oxygen hose that should lead to the helmet that the poor unfortunate soul was wearing pre-decapitation to make room for the mighty thumb.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Haskell9 posted:

Oculus Rift vs Vive. You're thoughts?

I don't have any loyalty to either but I see more long term potential in a Valve partnership than a Facebook one for my personal use.
The hardware specs / optics I am not bothered about, both will be good enough but having Valve on board is a big factor for me.
I will get both eventually though just because it's my thing.

Audio I do not care about as I have issues with hearing that make anything other than a loud speaker pointless :v:

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

This poo poo is funnier than the time Lesnick got stuck on the couch on livestream.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Xaerael posted:

I've tried delving, and it's tough to work out where they stole crobert's body from, though I'm 100% sure it's another shop, because they weirdly left the oxygen hose that should lead to the helmet that the poor unfortunate soul was wearing pre-decapitation to make room for the mighty thumb.

It's a photoshop for sure, it will be found out in time.
You either have the talent in house or not to do that stuff and they don't as proved by the Sandi one

Nov 3, 2015

Give me all your crackers

orcinus posted:

That's like just your opinion, maaaan.

Seriously though, as someone who's been through dozens of sound cards and at least 5 DACs, i believe i'm in a pretty good position to say there's quite a bit of difference.
Of those 5 one was DIY.

Removing *most* noise is not hard. Removing significant amount of noise and ripple is not either.
Most mobo designers don't bother with either.

A good preamp is a "very basic" component that comes in a very wide range of prices and qualities.
Then there's the IV stage, which can vary greatly in both implementation and quality.
Don't even get me started on clock, clock regen and filtering.

Sorry, but you're wrong, there's quite a bit to gain with a decent external dedicated DAC over an onboard piece of poo poo reference design.

e: And that's before we even touch the subject of driving headphones.

e2: I'm getting triggered.

And as an electrical eng who have built and designed audio amps, ADC-DAC real time systems. I disagree.

Makes little difference keep flushing your money away.

Haskell9
Sep 23, 2008

post it live
The Great Twist

peter gabriel posted:

Audio I do not care about as I have issues with hearing that make anything other than a loud speaker pointless :v:

Then how the hell are you so crazy good at matching video to music?

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

peter gabriel posted:

It's a photoshop for sure, it will be found out in time.
You either have the talent in house or not to do that stuff and they don't as proved by the Sandi one

People looking, the original will certainly be wearing a helmet. I bet my lunch on it.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Haskell9 posted:

Then how the hell are you so crazy good at matching video to music?

I have very loud speakers :v:

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Dusty Lens posted:

It bought them two months of funding from the 90 days you predicted in Oktober? Tops?

I mean, I'm not a callendarologist.

Pay attention.

The money they raised during that period, bought them extra time (hence my two months of funding tops).

That was my point.

Goobs
Jan 30, 2016

Doxcat is watching you PU.

peter gabriel posted:

I have very loud speakers :v:

my hearing is damaged by exposure to explosions. lots of explosions and small arms fire. i have a razor headset cranked on max at all times to be able to hear well. i feel your pain commando. its a pain in the rear end when talking as well because I tend to talk very loud irl because of my hearing and i try to compensate, usually people have to tell me to shhhhhhh

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

ideate posted:

"render"

lol that the whole game is stylized and cartoony, except for Sandi's head, that has to be her glamour shot.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

How is there not a photoshop of parpman on Jessica Biel's body yet? I don't have Photoshop installed on this machine yet!

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Decrepus posted:

lol that the whole game is stylized and cartoony, except for Sandi's head, that has to be her glamour shot.

That's her, in the glamour shot from 2004.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Goobs posted:

my hearing is damaged by exposure to explosions. lots of explosions and small arms fire. i have a razor headset cranked on max at all times to be able to hear well. i feel your pain commando.

I've had six operations so far, my buddies know that if I stand up and turn left there is a good chance I will just fall over, my inner ear is in worse shape than Star Marine.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Xaerael posted:

How is there not a photoshop of parpman on Jessica Biel's body yet? I don't have Photoshop installed on this machine yet!

I'm too busy trying to cover 4,000 Ly before going to bed — that's how.

Haskell9
Sep 23, 2008

post it live
The Great Twist
Lol, pretty sure Sandi is actually my age.

Nov 3, 2015

Give me all your crackers
Why has no one photoshopped Sandi's current face onto that cardboard cutout? Or better yet Oldmans.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

D_Smart posted:

Pay attention.

The money they raised during that period, bought them extra time (hence my two months of funding tops).

That was my point.

So are you now saying it's two months from this exact moment (tops) or that it's Oktober + 90 days + 2 months.

I mean just for the record.

peter gabriel posted:

I've had six operations so far, my buddies know that if I stand up and turn left there is a good chance I will just fall over, my inner ear is in worse shape than Star Marine.

Wait does this mean you will never be a runway model : (

an actual frog
Mar 1, 2007

HEH, HEH, HEH!

Haskell9 posted:

One of my coworkers pre-ordered a Rift and plays Elite so in a few days when it arrives basically our entire I.T. shop plans to head to his house to check it out.
Have you much experience with Elite yourself? If your host has the Horizons expansion see what you think of planetary landings and takeoffs. IMO It's a truly gamechanging experience going from zipping around a system, out of frameshift onto an actual, no-poo poo planet-sized object in VR. to the point where I dont play it on a monitor any more

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Dusty Lens posted:

That's her, in the glamour shot from 2004.

Flip image, bingo. Wasn't hard to find.

e. had to put this on my imgur, I'm deleting it in a day or so because I don't want pictures of this gross harpy among my funny gifs and photoshops.

e2. new upload source, thanks Samizdata

Xaerael fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Mar 26, 2016

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Dusty Lens posted:

So are you now saying it's two months from this exact moment (tops) or that it's Oktober + 90 days + 2 months.

I mean just for the record.

Wait does this mean you will never be a runway model : (

As long as I can turn right onto the runway my modelling career is safe

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

Sandi's head from 12 years ago, inspired by Sandi.

Goobs
Jan 30, 2016

Doxcat is watching you PU.

Xaerael posted:

her using a SUPER old photo (in terms of hollywood use) reminds me of Entourage when the loser brother uses headshots from like 20 years ago and everyone is surprised when he shows up to castings. that will be sandi when shes 60 (next year) still using headshots from when she was 12.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Mechanism Eight posted:

Have you much experience with Elite yourself? If your host has the Horizons expansion see what you think of planetary landings and takeoffs. IMO It's a truly gamechanging experience going from zipping around a system, out of frameshift onto an actual, no-poo poo planet-sized object in VR. to the point where I dont play it on a monitor any more

Same here, the landing stuff, even just flying low is staggering. I can spend a night looking for interesting places. It's really something

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

Xaerael posted:

e. had to put this on my imgur, I'm deleting it in a day or so because I don't want pictures of this gross harpy among my funny gifs and photoshops.

A 23 year old woman everybody.

moveable shape
Oct 18, 2015

runsamok posted:

My catte finally posed for a photo.

Literally the fanciest cat I've ever seen, well done

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Xaerael posted:

PUSHERING42

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

peter gabriel posted:

So dancing like the cat in your av is disorienting and sickening? That sucks man. :(

• Locked thread