Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Jamesman posted:

Goblins seemed more like Jersey/Boston/New York bros than Jewish stereotypes to me. Maybe it's because I never spent a lot of time around them in WoW and my main exposure comes from Gazlowe in Heroes of the Storm.

they're new york jews dude

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

They live in a ghetto where Warcraft's Hitler put them, obsessed with money, and has a Hollywood Jewish accent. Pandas are way worse though.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I'm pretty sure almost every single time a Dwarf is mentioned by name in the poetic Edda, the poo poo that Tolkien was literally an expert in, it's because he was crafting some sort of magical weapon or artifact or hair for someone and if something is meant to be impressive it tends to be mentioned that the Dwarfs built it.

Lord of the Rings is basically Norse Mythology fan fiction.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

In Arcanum Gnomes are known for being cunning and good with money and for having big noses. There is also one mission that implies that a secret cabal of Gnomes might be involved in a conspiracy to breed half-ogres as a servant race.

The Orcs in Arcanum on the other hand are the Irish and if you play as a half-Orc everyone hates you.

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

Groovelord Neato posted:

they're new york jews dude
Um there are more than just Jewish people from New York, you know. Goblinspeak is just general blue-collar New-York/New-Jersey (plenty of Goomba in there). ("Heeey, how you doin'?", "Yo!", "Whazzap!")

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I remember reading that the goblin starting area and mission in WoW: Cataclysm being inspired by GTA.

Anyway, I like that dwarves in Dragon Age are Americans.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 199 days!
The whole idea of race in fantasy, and real life, was heavily influenced by Wagner. It's hard to capture how huge Wagner was- opera was like rock + cinema, and he was its biggest star ever. Basically everyone in European culture for a few generations were Wagner fanboys.

Anyhow to get an idea how the races of gods, elves, men, etc, could have lead to Hilter (another huge fan), "hero" was a race in Wagner.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Wagner was not a big fan of Jewish people existing. So much so that it created a rift between him and Nietzsche who thought the Jews were really cool.

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
What's the difference between a gnome and a dwarf?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

SpaceAceJase posted:

What's the difference between a gnome and a dwarf?

Gnomes get +2 Constitution, –2 Strength racial modifiers, dwarves get +2 Constitution, –2 Charisma.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Gnome's are Jews, dwarves are Scots.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I think trying to parse out which fantasy race is modeled after which real life ethnic group is missing the larger point that fantasy writers and especially Blizzard tend to just throw stereotypes from any group that isn't white europeans at their made up races to otherize them and that's inherently racist and dumb even if you can't 100% match the orcs with any specific real life race.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
Klingon's aren't black just because Michael Dorn is....Or are they?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Christopher Lloyd played a Klingon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ULz7ukMb7s

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Where did dwarves speaking like Scotsmen come from? In the Hobbit animated film they just sound like old dudes. By warcraft II they were Scottish and that seems to be a consistent trope now.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Paolomania posted:

Um there are more than just Jewish people from New York, you know. Goblinspeak is just general blue-collar New-York/New-Jersey (plenty of Goomba in there). ("Heeey, how you doin'?", "Yo!", "Whazzap!")

large noses, conniving, money grubbing...

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Tender Bender posted:

Where did dwarves speaking like Scotsmen come from? In the Hobbit animated film they just sound like old dudes. By warcraft II they were Scottish and that seems to be a consistent trope now.

Apparently Dungeons & Dragons features scottish dwarves because a lot of the series is based on a book with one.

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

Groovelord Neato posted:

large noses, conniving, money grubbing...

Well if we are going to cherry pick qualities out of the kitchen sink then what does it mean that they are large-nosed maniacal pyromaniac suicide bombers?

Bob Quixote
Jul 7, 2006

This post has been inspected and certified by the Dino-Sorcerer

Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

I think trying to parse out which fantasy race is modeled after which real life ethnic group is missing the larger point that fantasy writers and especially Blizzard tend to just throw stereotypes from any group that isn't white europeans at their made up races to otherize them and that's inherently racist and dumb even if you can't 100% match the orcs with any specific real life race.

Sometimes I wonder about things like that in fantasy writing. Is it better or worse to be aware of your influences when you are making up some sort of fictional culture or cultures for a make believe story world? I mean you could go all in on the stereotypes and just do the Panderans from WoW who are really blatant, or you could sincerely try come up with something unique but still have parallels drawn to all sorts of real world cultures that may or may not have been the product of subconscious influences.

Like if someone did the 'bad guy' empire as a theocracy which revolved around subjugation of the outlying cultures and ritual human sacrifice, you could easily draw parallels there with the Aztecs since that is a 100% certified thing that they did, but if you write them with that intent in mind does it make them a caricature? Is the bad part making them something other than human? If so, how can you have a non-human species in a fictional setting that isn't 100% Good Guys that isn't seen as some sort of attempt to Otherize a particular culture (unless the Orcs here are explicitly white euro-americans who are green?). Can you ever show a conflict between alien species/cultures that doesn't draw really uncomfortable parallels, and are they always fair comparisons?

Maybe this is a really broad question for a thread about a movie where green cgi blobs are going to be emoting against human actors who just could not be paid enough to give a poo poo, but I enjoy the sci-fi/fantasy genre of books and movies and these thoughts come to me whenever the inevitable race/species/culture arguments come up about those topics and I've never been able to give myself a satisfactory answer to them.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Bob Quixote posted:

Sometimes I wonder about things like that in fantasy writing. Is it better or worse to be aware of your influences when you are making up some sort of fictional culture or cultures for a make believe story world? I mean you could go all in on the stereotypes and just do the Panderans from WoW who are really blatant, or you could sincerely try come up with something unique but still have parallels drawn to all sorts of real world cultures that may or may not have been the product of subconscious influences.

I'm actually working on a fantasy series (less so now that I'm actually busy) and I asked these same questions when devising them. What I came up with is basically that it's ok to have cultural stereotypes because audiences are primed to accept them (eg, the Samurai master from the Japanese culture) but you should also show them as being more than just their stereotypes.

So for example, one of the races in the world I'm building is a bunch of Arab tribes in the mold of Lawrence of Arabia. Like that movie, there are a bunch of uncomfortable stereotypes, but I diffuse it by having one of the main characters be part of the main narrative. So you're not just a Conquistador looking in at the brutish natives, they're part of the group and they influence how you (the audience) feels about that culture.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Tender Bender posted:

I'm pretty sure that's from Warhammer and that Warhammer also invented all Orcs being green. Tolkien Orcs were usually yellow or gray or brown and sometimes green.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
God, arguing over and keeping track of which fantasy race is offensive to whom, and who to be offended on behalf of and why sounds loving exhausting.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
No one is doing that? I for one am quite energized by turning my brain ON

Parachute posted:

Klingon's aren't black just because Michael Dorn is....Or are they?

They are presented as "naturally" disposed to violence, have a primitive culture and so on. In their earlier incarnations they were extremely duplicitous and generally considered to be analogues to the Soviet Russians.

In sci-fi (and fantasy) aliens always represent some form of The Other, which isn't a single race or sexuality or whatever. It's a sociological and psychological concept for the archetypes that we find fascinating or repulsive in our perception of other types of people.

Lurdiak posted:

Blizzard certainly is clumsy with their writing, but I think it's only inherently racist if the story itself promotes the idea of superiority/inferiority?

Like if a specific character, embroiled in a imaginatory race war, insists that the "green"-skins are truly irredeemable evil or stupid (etc), and the story bears this out, then yeah, it's dumb and bad. And that definitely happens in some fiction and a lot of roleplaying rulebooks, because people carry a lot of unexamined racial baggage and that obviously effects our imaginations when we create art and games. BUT if the story contradicts or exposes that character/position, then that would mean it's about racism, as opposed to simply racist.

Intented or not, the propaganda of a righteous and true good race versus invading race of evil monsters definitely seeped into the first 2 Warcraft games. By the 3rd, the creators obviously began to think about how this racial conflict would look like from the pov of all it's participants, not just the white Europeans. To imagine the Other, as one's own self. I barely played WOW, so I'm not confident enough to speak on how it handled it things, but I'm pretty sure Blizzard continued in that vein.

Whether the movie does it well or badly, I guess we shall see!

And Duncan Jones career isn't gonna be ruined even if he's made his first bad movie, sheesh nerds

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

KING FAGGOT OF THE SHITPOST KINGDOM

Lurdiak posted:

i too like to be aggrieved about poo poo that doesn't matter

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

it actually does matter a great deal, almost certainly upper middle class white person.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Eyyyy, chill out mon, ya mojo's burnin hot, just kick back and get down wit da voodoo.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Everything I know about WoW, I learned from this Gamespy comic.

http://flintlocke.thecomicseries.com/

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

KING FAGGOT OF THE SHITPOST KINGDOM

Groovelord Neato posted:

it actually does matter a great deal, almost certainly upper middle class white person.

how dare you not agree with my myopic views on first world injustices, privileged white heathen!

go cry about some trump 2016 sidewalk chalk

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
:jerkbag: Orcs are a disgustingly offensive stereotype and I am outraged about how offensive it is!

:) What race are orcs offending?

:jerkbag: Uh...

The Jewish Japanese First Nation People of Color community will suffer this outrage no longer!

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Dawg your dungeon and dragon isn't so weak that it will crumble under examination.

These fantasy characters have always been about exploring race, class. That's why they're crafting war against eachother. That's why their skin is different, and they come from other worlds. It's a test that's yours to fail.

And sometimes fantasy is dumb, and cannot handle the idea of another man. The fear seeps into it and you get these sad displays. Don't be that guy who plays pitiful. Aren't you supposed to be strong.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

counterfeitsaint posted:

God, arguing over and keeping track of which fantasy race is offensive to whom, and who to be offended on behalf of and why sounds loving exhausting.

oswald ownenstein posted:

i too like to be aggrieved about poo poo that doesn't matter

Oh great, the giant babies who think discussion of race means "being offended" are here.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

how come the humans are never the barbarians with the orcs and trolls being the enlightened and civilized races??

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Groovelord Neato posted:

how come the humans are never the barbarians with the orcs and trolls being the enlightened and civilized races??

That's Starcraft, kinda.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Groovelord Neato posted:

Eberron kinda has that. Halflings and elves are varying flavors of barbarians. Orcs are fairly normal civilized people whose big thing is guarding portals to the cthulhu world. Goblins are basically 1920s Italians, embracing fasicsm as a way to restore their nation.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Telling that u both had to throw in "kinda" tho

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
Everyone got so distracted arguing over which ethnic group should be most offended by Metzen that nobody posted the new trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-Ss3r-F_O0

DoctorG0nzo
May 28, 2014

CJ posted:

Everyone got so distracted arguing over which ethnic group should be most offended by Metzen that nobody posted the new trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-Ss3r-F_O0

Is that subtitle new?

Also, I can never tell if this movie actually looks bad, or if I've just moved on from fantasy. Feels like every fantasy movie/show that isn't LOTR makes me cringe in a very similar way (even Game of Thrones from time to time).

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
The subtitle has always been there in the UK, it might be where the trailer was ripped from.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
I kind of like how cornball it looks, honestly.

e: That's how I felt about the trailers for Chappie and that definitely worked in my favor so u never know

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

subtitles need to die.

• Locked thread