Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Municipal charge stations are bullshit, and they've been popping up in my area. Why the gently caress should my taxes pay for some other jackoff to charge up his Tesla. :colbert:

There's one Leaf I pass by regularly, parked in the exact same spot, plugged into the exact same outlet every drat day. The owner is milking the poo poo out of it, paying exactly zero dollars for his commute.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

xzzy posted:

Municipal charge stations are bullshit, and they've been popping up in my area. Why the gently caress should my taxes pay for some other jackoff to charge up his Tesla. :colbert:

There's one Leaf I pass by regularly, parked in the exact same spot, plugged into the exact same outlet every drat day. The owner is milking the poo poo out of it, paying exactly zero dollars for his commute.

I can't imagine no one has put a credit card reader on a charge station.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
people who park where they shouldnt or park badly in parking garages deserve the harshest death imaginable.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

EightBit posted:

There's probably a gas station lobby out there somewhere that would unleash hell on any city that tried to charge money for car charging.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Pretty sure the only gas station lobby is the oil companies, and given that they want to see EV's die, i would expect them to want to put CC readers on there.
I would suspect that it's not more popular probably due to transaction costs. Nobody wants to pay three cents to run a six cent transaction for your teeny top-up.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

EightBit posted:

I'm under the impression that most public charging stations charge a fee. Card reader charging stations aren't a new thing.

Also, they really need to stop putting charging stations at the closest spots. This would solve a few issues. Hummer owners aren't going to park in ev spots if you have to walk (gasp) across the parking lot to get to the building. Ditto with the fully charged tesla owners who often park in these spots without even connecting to power. They seem to see close parking as a gift for buying a $100,000 car.

Deedle
Oct 17, 2011
before you ask, yes I did inform the DMV of my condition and medication, and I passed the medical and psychological evaluation when I got my license. I've passed them every time I have gone to renew my license.

EightBit posted:

Over here they haven't. You need an RFID tag to enable the public charge points. Said RFID tag is acquired by getting a contract with an electricity company of your choosing. So no free charging for Tesla owners.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Deedle posted:

Over here they haven't. You need an RFID tag to enable the public charge points. Said RFID tag is acquired by getting a contract with an electricity company of your choosing. So no free charging for Tesla owners.

:capitalism:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I have quite a few public charging options, many of which are free, but the irritation is them being run by different people and needing a different RFID card to use them.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

Deedle posted:

I've basically come to the point where I have accepted that dysphysica is a terrifyingly common disability that both warrants and justifies putting up signs at railway crossings and movable bridges, because people really are that dumb...

WTF is "dysphysica"?

InitialDave posted:

I have quite a few public charging options, many of which are free, but the irritation is them being run by different people and needing a different RFID card to use them.

Somehow we, here in North Carolina, have multiple free charging stations put up by employers, consumer businesses, and even community groups of one stripe or another. This is also the state that banned sales of Tesla cars due to "unfair competitive advantage" or some tripe.

The Prong Song fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Mar 24, 2016

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

From context, it appears to be an inability to understand physics. Similar to "dyslexia".

Roots: "dis- ": Latin. Reversal or removal.
"phyisca": Latin. The study of nature. The branch of science concerned with the study of properties and interactions of space, time, matter and energy.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Say what you will about EV charging stations, this is erotic as hell

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMM0lRfX6YI

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

The Mandingo posted:

https://youtu.be/H8yQhXDquII

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

The Mandingo posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GIv8oYCcmY

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Safety Dance posted:

From context, it appears to be an inability to understand physics. Similar to "dyslexia".

Roots: "dis- ": Latin. Reversal or removal.
"phyisca": Latin. The study of nature. The branch of science concerned with the study of properties and interactions of space, time, matter and energy.
From Google, it appears to be a made up word to try to sound smart.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Well that's a first, I managed to intimidate someone into getting the gently caress out of my way.. unintentionally.

On a 35 mph chunk of road, some twit in a truck cuts me off so hard I had to put the pedal through the floor to avoid hitting him, and I lean on the horn for a few seconds to let them know my opinion on the matter. I was pretty steamed but that's as far as it was going to go. I tail them for a mile or so because our routes just happened to be going the same way, until we approach a gas station and they flip on their blinker to pull in. I beep my horn a final time to let them know I think they're shitheads and continue on my way.

In my rear view I watch them do a u-turn in the gas station, and get back on the road behind me. :v:

I make the next right and they go straight so no harm done, but hopefully it means they feel like poo poo for the rest of the night or were at least questioning if I was going to escalate.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Krakkles posted:

They're all made up.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

SpannerX posted:

Uh, I was joking. I live on a main st. with a large hill beside me, and I hate large pipes. They suck.

Sorry, my sarcasm parser is faulty.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Krakkles posted:

I understood what he meant with the latin/greek roots and the context.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe

nitrogen posted:

Sorry, my sarcasm parser is faulty.

It's okay, I thought I was being obvious. I doubt there are many people on here that would say that with a straight face.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
Why is there always some shitheel, that when they see the lane merge sign, must try and stuff their car in the space in front of me and behind the car in front? Even if that space is tiny? There's always a large space behind me that makes it incredibly easy to get into the one lane, but NOPE, gotta get in front of A car to make it feel like I'm getting somewhere quicker!

I was in the lane that was being merged into and had the right of way - but this asshat apparently thinks that since his lane is ending, it's between life or death to get in front of me. The guy went from cruising at a normal speed behind me in the merging lane, to speeding up and literally going door to door with me and start forcing me over.

I need to get a dash cam, both for the front and rear so I can at least have something when eventually some idiot makes a fatal mistake into me. I'm also going to write a will - "if I die because of an idiot doing stupid poo poo on the road, beat the crap out of them yearly".

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I had exactly the opposite happen to me last night... coming out of tollbooths zipper merging down to 3 lanes, I was lined up fine on a good spot coming in from the extreme right when the loving assknob behind me decided that couldn't stand and floored it to stay next to me, nearly forcing me into the breakdown lane. with two loving EMPTY lanes on the left of us. Once they decided they had put me in my place, they flew out into the middle lane and took off at 80 or so. I would have simply gone around in the first place, but I was taking the very next exit in like half a mile.

what the hell is wrong with people? I've never had anyone jealously defend ~their spot~ in the right lane at 5 under the limit on an empty highway before.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Ringo Star Get posted:

Why is there always some shitheel, that when they see the lane merge sign, must try and stuff their car in the space in front of me and behind the car in front? Even if that space is tiny? There's always a large space behind me that makes it incredibly easy to get into the one lane, but NOPE, gotta get in front of A car to make it feel like I'm getting somewhere quicker!

Bonus points when they do this and then slam on the brakes to make a turn or exit the highway.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Geoj posted:

Bonus points when they do this and then slam on the brakes to make a turn or exit the highway.

Yeah, I have way too many people who pull onto the main drag right in front of me, then refuse to go even the speed limit. I could understand if they sped off in a hurry or something, but if they're in such a rush to get onto the main road, why hold the rest of us back?

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

In my country this is definitely not offensive!
Nap Ghost

Solkanar512 posted:

Yeah, I have way too many people who pull onto the main drag right in front of me, then refuse to go even the speed limit. I could understand if they sped off in a hurry or something, but if they're in such a rush to get onto the main road, why hold the rest of us back?

SouthwestFloridaInSnowbirdSeason.txt

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I get really, really mad at gore violations in Denver, people change lanes across solid whites all the time. I'm like....they put them in this particular spot for a reason, please wait the 1/8 mile until they end. They factored in you needing to get over. I promise.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Solkanar512 posted:

This and people who jump the gun or act like they're going to move quickly, then go slow as balls, are annoying as hell. I was behind a person recently who kept inching up to the car in front of them while we waited for the light to go green. Started from about 4 feet back from the other guy, then kept easing off the brakes until there couldn't have been more than a foot of space between their bumpers. Light turns green, I'm thinking this doofus is gonna be quick after the guy ahead of him goes...and they ever so gingerly hit the gas and go through the intersection at a blistering 4 miles per hour.

I passed said doofus and wouldn't you know...an old lady probably at least in her 60s trying to drink her soda while she's checking her phone :doh: I don't loving know any more

BOOTY-ADE fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Mar 25, 2016

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Jonny 290 posted:

I get really, really mad at gore violations in Denver, people change lanes across solid whites all the time. I'm like....they put them in this particular spot for a reason, please wait the 1/8 mile until they end. They factored in you needing to get over. I promise.

While I agree, it turns out that in most states a solid white line is only an advisory. A double white is manditory. Not that that stops anyone in the rare even there is a double white.

Jeff Gerber
Jul 22, 2007
Well it ain't soy sauce!
Is the inching forward behavior some sort of self-reinforcing Pavlovian thing?

"If i inch forward the light will turn green"
inch
inch
inch
inch
inch
inch
*light turns green*
"works every time"

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I don't get it but it's really annoying driving a manual behind one of these guys because the guy behind me sees the guy ahead of me moving and gets pissed off that I'm standing still because gently caress that.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Jeff Gerber posted:

inch
inch
inch
inch
inch
inch
*light turns green*
"works every time"

I've always assumed that creepers are people not really paying attention. They barely got their foot on the brake, they go to send a text, and lift a little bit and start to roll. So then they brake again and repeat until they're halfway through the intersection.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Ozz81 posted:

This and people who jump the gun or act like they're going to move quickly, then go slow as balls, are annoying as hell. I was behind a person recently who kept inching up to the car in front of them while we waited for the light to go green. Started from about 4 feet back from the other guy, then kept easing off the brakes until there couldn't have been more than a foot of space between their bumpers. Light turns green, I'm thinking this doofus is gonna be quick after the guy ahead of him goes...and they ever so gingerly hit the gas and go through the intersection at a blistering 4 miles per hour.

I hate when the car in the right lane accelerates slooooow up to 5 mph over the speed limit while the car in the left lane accelerates fast up to 5 under the speed limit. One car gets ahead by a car length, then the other catches up and starts to pull ahead, then they invariably catch the next light and start the drag race all over again. There's no way to get around either of them as a gap never opens up.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.
Some people need an education on how you merge on a highway.

I was driving home on a two lane rural highway. I'm doing 10 over, which is basically the standard speed for the area. I come up top a truck doing 5 under in the right lane, so I calmly move into the left lane to make a pass. In the middle of the pass, we come up to a cross road, which has some light SUV sitting there, presumably wanting to cross the highway to get to the other side. Instead, fuckwit in the SUV decides to pull out on the highway, into my lane instead of the merge lane, and fails to get up to speed. Mind you, had fuckwit waited another minute, the truck and I would have passed by, and fuckwit would have had no traffic to contend with. Instead, I get to threshold brake from 75 to 25 to prevent rear ending said fuckwit, honking my horn at the same time. Fuckwit in the SUV waved at me, and then proceeded to not accelerate. They were still doing dangerously under the speed limit after the truck I was intending to pass moved on, allowing me to move to the right to pass the fuckwit and go on my merry way.

TNO
Jul 9, 2006

I drank all your Kool-Aid.

Jeff Gerber posted:

inch
inch
inch
inch
inch
inch
*light turns green*
"works every time"

What really grates on my nerves is when people do this and then don't go when the light finally does turn. It's like they can't sit still at a red, but they'll sit at a green all day until someone honks at them.

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

xzzy posted:

I've always assumed that creepers are people not really paying attention. They barely got their foot on the brake, they go to send a text, and lift a little bit and start to roll. So then they brake again and repeat until they're halfway through the intersection.

My mother in law does this, but it's just a bad habit. She's not in a hurry or distracted, just restless. Annoys the hell out of me.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

xzzy posted:

He also kept doing that wobble left and right thing that riders sometimes do when showing off.

That's called snaking and it's how you get turbo boosts, thank you very much

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

nm posted:

While I agree, it turns out that in most states a solid white line is only an advisory. A double white is manditory. Not that that stops anyone in the rare even there is a double white.

In Arizona, a highway patrol officer in a gore point was killed by some moron deciding to take an exit at the last minute. Because of that they made driving or parking in a gore point illegal except in the case of a disabled vehicle (i.e. breaking down there). It's also pretty aggressively enforced, from 2009-2012 DPS wrote 6000 violations for that.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Uthor posted:

I hate when the car in the right lane accelerates slooooow up to 5 mph over the speed limit while the car in the left lane accelerates fast up to 5 under the speed limit. One car gets ahead by a car length, then the other catches up and starts to pull ahead, then they invariably catch the next light and start the drag race all over again. There's no way to get around either of them as a gap never opens up.

MGIF! MGIF! MGIF!

If the lights are timed so that the person accelerating quickly up to 5-under is hitting a red you'd gain absolutely nothing by getting in front of either of them other than the satisfaction of being the first person to stop at the next red light. Undoubtedly there'd be another you in traffic behind you annoyed they weren't in your spot. The amount of space that person isn't covering by going 5 under the limit is absolutely miniscule and wouldn't change the outcome.

You are the people we share a road with.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

MisterOblivious posted:

MGIF! MGIF! MGIF!

If the lights are timed so that the person accelerating quickly up to 5-under is hitting a red you'd gain absolutely nothing by getting in front of either of them other than the satisfaction of being the first person to stop at the next red light. Undoubtedly there'd be another you in traffic behind you annoyed they weren't in your spot. The amount of space that person isn't covering by going 5 under the limit is absolutely miniscule and wouldn't change the outcome.

You are the people we share a road with.
No, it's you. Not everyone is going to drive the speed limit, and it's not your bloody right or duty to enforce it. Let people who want to drive faster than you pass you, don't be a oval office.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The Locator posted:

In Arizona, a highway patrol officer in a gore point was killed by some moron deciding to take an exit at the last minute. Because of that they made driving or parking in a gore point illegal except in the case of a disabled vehicle (i.e. breaking down there). It's also pretty aggressively enforced, from 2009-2012 DPS wrote 6000 violations for that.

A friend of mine crossed the gore point, I want to say less than a year after that happened. He got a ticket and about a dozen earfuls. My wife even got hassled by DPS when her goddamn 280ZX vaporlocked in traffic in Tucson once and she could only get it into a gore point until it cooled off.