Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

I've been meaning to see Clouds Of Sils Maria, I might pick that up eventually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I have the blu-ray of Dr. Strangelove that's already out, and I'm very happy with it. They'll have to really impress me to get me to go for another.

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

i'm more than a little surprised they didn't decide to go with a multiple aspect ratio presentation for strangelove

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
I'm so excited for Fantastic Planet, and I only have the DVD of Dr Strangelove so I'll probably pick up their Blu Ray.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

I Before E posted:

Finally, Kristen Stewart makes her debut in the Criterion Collection (totally holds her own against juliette binoche btw)

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

egon_beeblebrox posted:

I have the blu-ray of Dr. Strangelove that's already out, and I'm very happy with it. They'll have to really impress me to get me to go for another.

Radio Spiricom posted:

i'm more than a little surprised they didn't decide to go with a multiple aspect ratio presentation for strangelove

The Criterion will be worth it just for the original trailer. Criterion's page for the release has it now and it's fully restored like the film.

As for the variable ratio version... it would be a curiosity, but I doubt Criterion wanted to add a second disc for it. Besides, Dr. Strangelove was shot for 1.85:1 and 1.66:1 opens it up just a little. UK theaters would have shown it at 1.66:1 or 1.75:1.

This does make me hope they somehow get some of Warner's Kubrick films. Barry Lyndon and Lolita are likely since they're the only ones that didn't get a special edition release and were initially Amazon exclusives.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

I Before E posted:

You should. It's fantastic.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Egbert Souse posted:

The Criterion will be worth it just for the original trailer. Criterion's page for the release has it now and it's fully restored like the film.

Boy, you're willing to pay a lot more for a trailer than I am...

HP Hovercraft
Jan 1, 2006

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
drat, Fantastic Planet on Criterion Blu-Ray! You won't even need hallucinogenic drugs anymore, although they do help.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I've never seen Fantastic Planet, so maybe this means it will come to Hulu eventually. Is there dialogue in it? The trailer wasn't exactly clear on that.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Basebf555 posted:

I've never seen Fantastic Planet, so maybe this means it will come to Hulu eventually. Is there dialogue in it? The trailer wasn't exactly clear on that.

Yep.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
Has fantastic planet ever has a real American release?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

The_Rob posted:

Has fantastic planet ever has a real American release?

It had a non-anamorphic PAL-to-NTSC DVD from Facets years ago.

So, no.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I think I saw it on Off Beat Cinema once.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
The whole thing's on Dailymotion and other video sites like it, just search google and you can watch it.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Parallax posted:

is Criterion just done with doing commentary tracks?

I hope not, those are always my favorite part. Straw Dogs has the best one, imo. Completely changed how I saw the film.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

mod sassinator posted:

The whole thing's on Dailymotion and other video sites like it, just search google and you can watch it.

I mean I've seen it quite a few times, but it's going to be cool to have an actual high quality version.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Trafic was greeeeeeeat. I'm honestly not sure if I prefer it or Playtime.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I was looking at the upcoming releases and saw a bunch of Wim Wenders stuff but not Until the End of the World, which, last I heard, would be getting a Criterion release. Did something happen to stop that?

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I was looking at the upcoming releases and saw a bunch of Wim Wenders stuff but not Until the End of the World, which, last I heard, would be getting a Criterion release. Did something happen to stop that?

yeah they've had the rights for like 2 years. i swear there was a social media post from them at some point that was a picture of the hard drives. my best guess is that they're having issues clearing everything on the soundtrack, and if they aren't then they're probably just sitting on it after leading with the american friend and the trilogy.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Just got a Hulu account, any suggestions for stuff that hasn't gotten a physical release?

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Just got a Hulu account, any suggestions for stuff that hasn't gotten a physical release?

The Pied Piper

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

Big Mean Jerk posted:

-speaking of wim wenders, alice in the cities is on there but not on disc (yet)
-orson welles' the immortal story
-john ford's the long voyage home
-the trial of joan of arc, and l'argent, which are two of bresson's best (but maybe not the best starting points if you've never seen a bresson)
-a bunch of 70s fassbinder... effi brest, fox and his friends, chinese roulette...
-a bunch of 50s rossellini
-more japanese cinema than i care to list at all of which is good generally speaking but specifically: anything by mizoguchi, naruse, oshima, and ozu

Radio Spiricom fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Mar 23, 2016

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

The Immortal Story might be Orson Welles' oddest movie. I don't even really know what to make of it and nobody ever talks about it.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Amazon is selling Chungking Express for 40 dollars.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
So the Bergman Blu-rays I don't yet have are: Summer Interlude, Summer With Monika, Smiles of a Summer Night, The Magician, and Cries & Whispers.

Which of those might I like if I loved Seventh Seal, Wild Strawberries, Fanny & Alexander but was super cold on Persona and Autumn Sonata?

HP Hovercraft
Jan 1, 2006

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse

Nate RFB posted:

So the Bergman Blu-rays I don't yet have are: Summer Interlude, Summer With Monika, Smiles of a Summer Night, The Magician, and Cries & Whispers.

Which of those might I like if I loved Seventh Seal, Wild Strawberries, Fanny & Alexander but was super cold on Persona and Autumn Sonata?
Smiles of a Summer Night is a safe bet, it's probably his most lighthearted and comedic film. Cries and Whispers is incredible but it might be too torturous for someone who didn't like Persona or Autumn Sonata.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

HP Hovercraft posted:

Cries and Whispers is incredible but it might be too torturous for someone who didn't like Persona or Autumn Sonata.

Agreed. If Autumn Sonata was a tough one for you, stay the gently caress away from Cries and Whispers. It makes Autumn Sonata look like a Judd Apatow movie.

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

Parallax posted:

is Criterion just done with doing commentary tracks?

a brighter summer day has one

Punch Drunk Drewsky
Jul 22, 2008

No one can stop the movies.

Nate RFB posted:

Seconding Smiles of a Summer Night, and The Magician's worth a gander too. Both have a lot of fun with gender roles, and while SoaSN is the better straight-ahead comedy, I had a lot of fun with the way The Magician works Bergman's transition from theater to film to focus on the trickery required for one and how it might transfer to the other. Plus, it gets to look at how Bergman was skeptical of his own atheistic skepticism.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I need to see more Bergman, but I've liked all I've seen so far (The Seventh Seal, Wild Strawberries, Fanny & Alexander theatrical cut, and Persona). I was fully expecting to not like Persona, but it's one of the most fascinating of his films I've seen so far.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I like Persona less every time I see it, and Winter Light more.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Amazon has Chunking Express back on sale, no idea if it's back in print or if this is just a mistake

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
I like persona but my favorite scene in Weekend is when Godard makes fun of Persona.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I only just now found out Brighter Summer Day was happening/is out

AAAAAAaaaaaaAAAAAAAaaaaaaaAAAAAAAA

edit: to the Bergman guy you should get Cries and Whispers anyway, it's a very tough watch but I pretty much consider it essential

Escobarbarian fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Mar 26, 2016

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

morestuff posted:

Amazon has Chunking Express back on sale, no idea if it's back in print or if this is just a mistake

worthless without the 90s Quentin Tarantino intro from the Rolling Thunder release

"hey there FILM FAAAAAANS"

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Rusty Staub posted:

worthless without the 90s Quentin Tarantino intro from the Rolling Thunder release

"hey there FILM FAAAAAANS"

I for one think they should just replace the Criterion logo with a picture of Tarantino's face from now on.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
People don't seem to like it, but I really enjoy Bergman's The Magic Flute.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Punch Drunk Drewsky posted:

Seconding Smiles of a Summer Night, and The Magician's worth a gander too. Both have a lot of fun with gender roles, and while SoaSN is the better straight-ahead comedy, I had a lot of fun with the way The Magician works Bergman's transition from theater to film to focus on the trickery required for one and how it might transfer to the other. Plus, it gets to look at how Bergman was skeptical of his own atheistic skepticism.
Thanks, I'll probably pick up those two at the next sale. I'll see how I feel about Cries & Whispers at that time but it's tough because of all the Criterions I've wound up selling a lot were ones I didn't care for because they were just too dour. I'd like to at least give it a try, of course.

In other news, I completed the Tati set and that might be my favorite set of films in my collection. All of the movies were great! My favorites were probably the trio of Playtime, Trafic, and Mr. Hulot's Holiday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Hey thanks to everyone that recommended Head to me a few weeks ago. I watched it today on a bit of a whim and it was pretty cool and wonderfully surreal and crazy- kind of like if early Godard and Resnais had teamed up to make A Hard Day's Night.

Also the random clips of Ulmer's The Black Cat was cool too and reminded me that I should watch that movie again because it is the best.