Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Michael Scott posted:

That's because the SE is a budget option with kinda nice internal specs, so they need to leave some nicer features on the flagship to draw people in for differentiation and profit padding. Not for the reason you think.

I doubt this highly in the case of the TouchID. I see it being the case of the lack of 3D Touch, but fast TouchID makes little to no sense to leave out unless there's an unforeseen reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Why don't you just add them to favourites in your contacts? Then they'll get through even on DND if you change the setting in Do Not Disturb to allow calls from Favorites😊

Just go to Contacts, then Favourites and click the + in the top right!

I did that! That's why it is so weird. I have the person set as a favorite. I have Do Not Disturb set to Favorites only. The rings are muted, even for that person. I cannot figure this out for the life of me.

edit: Even the "repeated calls" option being on does nothing. Still silence, no matter how many calls I get from the same person. :(

jenny jones fan fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Mar 25, 2016

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

LODGE NORTH posted:

I doubt this highly in the case of the TouchID. I see it being the case of the lack of 3D Touch, but fast TouchID makes little to no sense to leave out unless there's an unforeseen reason.

Disagreed. 3d touch requires an extra sensor that has only fit in the form factor of a 6 so far. It might not be able to be engineered in the form they need for the SE, at least with the R&D they will plunk down for a budget model.

Good chance faster Touch ID is just left out for differentiation.

Apple does this poo poo all the time. It's why 16GB smartphones still exist. They would rather have the extra $100 for a few dollars worth of extra memory.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Snuffman posted:

Poor electrical grounding perhaps? The TouchID works, as I understand it, by having the ring around the fingerprint sensor acting as ground to trigger the sensor. Non-apple wall chargers, despite looking like apple wall chargers, can have really really scary-bad internals.

Ah that's interesting, thanks for the tech info. And I know what you mean by unofficial chargers pretending to be Apple ones - I used to deal with insurance claims for Apple and while we didn't get many, a good bunch were rejected because of a dodgy 99c charger being the culprit. My friend also burnt down her house charging her vape, it's scary nasty stuff and I warn everyone every time I see a knockoff. It's not worth the risk.

The charger I'm using was a $5 thing from Target so I presume it's safety tested. I was just sick of having to use a UK/US adapter as I hate those things just as much as fakes.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

EL BROMANCE posted:

Ah that's interesting, thanks for the tech info. And I know what you mean by unofficial chargers pretending to be Apple ones - I used to deal with insurance claims for Apple and while we didn't get many, a good bunch were rejected because of a dodgy 99c charger being the culprit. My friend also burnt down her house charging her vape, it's scary nasty stuff and I warn everyone every time I see a knockoff. It's not worth the risk.

The charger I'm using was a $5 thing from Target so I presume it's safety tested. I was just sick of having to use a UK/US adapter as I hate those things just as much as fakes.

Are the two paragraphs of this post supposed to be at odds with one another in every imaginable way?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I presume stuff in Target is safety tested... Is it not? I'm not familiar with your stores here so much but I wouldn't have thought they'd sold the lethal death trap chargers I see in markets that are 'Desinged by Appel'. Is this not the case?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

There is no way in hell Target tests or even operates every single product that they sell. They almost certainly get pitched by a salesman, decide yes/no, have some language in the contract about the products having appropriate certification, and then put them out on store shelves. They will never know if a product is actually defective until customers start having issues.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

I had some weird touchscreen behavior when I used an off-brand wall charger. Switched to an Apple one and haven't had a problem since. Don't buy non-Apple chargers unless you're fine with returning/replacing them until you get one that works properly.

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue

EL BROMANCE posted:

The charger I'm using was a $5 thing from Target so I presume it's safety tested.

Yeah, no. It's the same $0.50 exploding Chinar Special that the guy from Somalia is selling to tourists at his curbside junk stand.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

That's pretty crazy. You wouldn't get away with that back home, everything gets CE tested (hence a popular 'scam' is to forge the CE logo with a difference in gap between the letters and is commonly understood to be 'China Export' rather than a safety guarantee).

It's a reason that a bunch of Bitcoin crap and also that OUYA garbage got stopped in Germany because their CE documentation wasn't up to scratch. You get the garbage in our dollar store equivalents, but if I bought from a chain store I'd expect goods that won't burn down my house.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

EL BROMANCE posted:

That's pretty crazy. You wouldn't get away with that back home, everything gets CE tested (hence a popular 'scam' is to forge the CE logo with a difference in gap between the letters and is commonly understood to be 'China Export' rather than a safety guarantee).

It's a reason that a bunch of Bitcoin crap and also that OUYA garbage got stopped in Germany because their CE documentation wasn't up to scratch. You get the garbage in our dollar store equivalents, but if I bought from a chain store I'd expect goods that won't burn down my house.

Sounds like your country doesn't love freedom.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

EL BROMANCE posted:

This isn't how it works at all. 'CE' markings are just declarations of conformity (and those rules are not too tough) and if you're importing them for sale, your only obligation as a distributor is to check they aren't "clearly non-compliant'. The directive is nearly entirely about conformity to EM emissions if your product is a "low voltage product" and is in no way a certificate of 'safety'.
Though technically meant to be, the fact it is merely a declaration makes the actual safety inferred by the symbol moot.
The usual route lovely companies make is Make product -> get it tested -> cut costs -> stamp CE on cut-cost version, claim deniability between the safety differences of product A and B.

IIRC the Bitcoin thing came about because they were buying random rear end OEM products and stamping the CE on them. Only the manufacturer can legally declare they believe a product is 'CE'.

That's the wordier version of why "Don't buy cheap chargers buy no-name $5 chargers' is funny.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Turn off Touch ID

It would be nice if I could use Touch ID for passwords without also having to have it to unlock the phone.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Khablam posted:

That's the wordier version of why "Don't buy cheap chargers buy no-name $5 chargers' is funny.

They might both burn down my house, but I'd probably have a better legal time of it if the cause was a charger from John Lewis with a conformity stamp that then turned out to be Volkswagon'd than a random market dude.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

bobfather posted:

The touch ID sensitivity is so high that Apple didn't care to put the sensor on any of its new iPads or its new iPhone.

Also, the M7 motion coprocessor was dumb for 1 phone generation and only worked when the phone was awake, until they figured out a way to keep it active at all times without tanking the battery.

Hey Siri was dumb for 1 phone generation and only worked while plugged in, until they figured out a way to keep it active at all times without tanking the battery.

Next they'll fix the touch ID sensor to be active at all times without tanking the battery, so something like touching the ring will wake the screen, and pushing the button (or force touching it) with a valid finger will unlock the phone.

See? I fixed the iPhone so you don't have to use it like a silly goose.

Hey Siri still kinda sucks. Half the times it doesn't recognize my voice and the times it does there's s chance she mishears me to the point where the only thing useful I can do with her is "hey sorry set a timer".

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
I'm looking at getting a new iPhone case since mine is falling apart. iPhone 6+. I'm thinking of the LifeProof Nuud Case:

http://www.amazon.com/LifeProof-NUUD-iPhone-Waterproof-Version/dp/B00SLHWTN0

I'm worried the reviews suck on Amazon. But, it was generally well received in individual reviews on websites. I love the idea of it being well protected & waterproof without needing the screen to be covered. But, I've heard of poor call quality. Should I buy this case? Any better recommendations or anybody else have experience with it?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Melmac posted:

I did that! That's why it is so weird. I have the person set as a favorite. I have Do Not Disturb set to Favorites only. The rings are muted, even for that person. I cannot figure this out for the life of me.

edit: Even the "repeated calls" option being on does nothing. Still silence, no matter how many calls I get from the same person. :(

There's something wrong with the phone for sure. My DND works perfectly with Favorites

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Speak slowly and enunciate for Siri.

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007

There's something wrong with the phone for sure. My DND works perfectly with Favorites

What could it be? It's not jailbroken or anything.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

89 posted:

I'm looking at getting a new iPhone case since mine is falling apart. iPhone 6+. I'm thinking of the LifeProof Nuud Case:

http://www.amazon.com/LifeProof-NUUD-iPhone-Waterproof-Version/dp/B00SLHWTN0

I'm worried the reviews suck on Amazon. But, it was generally well received in individual reviews on websites. I love the idea of it being well protected & waterproof without needing the screen to be covered. But, I've heard of poor call quality. Should I buy this case? Any better recommendations or anybody else have experience with it?

If you're not getting the official saddle brown leather case please get the gently caress out.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

If you're not getting the official saddle brown leather case please get the gently caress out.

seriously leather or nothing

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

Melmac posted:

What could it be? It's not jailbroken or anything.

I feel like problems in the category of "weird software glitches that nobody else seems to have" can usually be solved with a restore. So you might try that.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Night mode is actually kind of nice, I want the same button on my mbp

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG

ethanol posted:

Night mode is actually kind of nice, I want the same button on my mbp

https://justgetflux.com/news/pages/mac/

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

EL BROMANCE posted:

They might both burn down my house, but I'd probably have a better legal time of it if the cause was a charger from John Lewis with a conformity stamp that then turned out to be Volkswagon'd than a random market dude.

What makes you think it's easy to sue a large corporation with the proper necessary paperwork to say the unit met all safety criteria?
You're not suing anyone either way unless there is provable due negligence.

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

Question, is "3D Touch" essentially just long press like on Android?

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

kiwid posted:

http://www.apple.com/iphone-6s/3d-touch/

Pretty much, with added pressure sensitivity.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I have a 3D Touch and force click and honestly I basically never use either

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

kiwid posted:

No. Long press on iPhone is like long press on android. 3D Touch is like pressing harder than "normal" into the screen and bringing up additional functionality or shortcuts

milkaxor
Mar 5, 2003

I choose you!

ethanol posted:

I use them both all the time. I rarely use the home button for multitasking. Let's be a good cop / bad cop duo!

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue

ethanol posted:

:agreed:

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away
I really like the 3D Touch app switching. Takes some time to get used to but works pretty well imo.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Why aren't there any decent knockoffs on eBay?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

bronin posted:

I really like the 3D Touch app switching. Takes some time to get used to but works pretty well imo.

It would be a lot better if you didn't need gigantic hands to reach the left edge of the screen with the your right thumb.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Josh Lyman posted:

Why aren't there any decent knockoffs on eBay?

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
i'm starting to think the constant recommendation of saddle brown is actually misdirection, so that "in the know" goons will be the only cool kids at the party with midnight blue

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
I feel like the 3D app icon shortcuts could easily be replicated by a long touch. I don't actually need to rearrange my icons that often, so I'd be fine with going through an extra Settings screen for that function. I get why they wouldn't do that though.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

kiwid posted:

Apple's keynote on this was so poo poo. In their keynote it looks for all the world like longpress=3D touch because every instance of the actor using 3D touch has him pressing it for longer. The whole point of 3D touch is you can get more than one action for pressing the screen for different amounts of force, not time.

It's still of marginal use, but their demo made it look completely useless.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.
3D Touch is worth it just for task switching and the keyboard trackpad. I basically use Peek & Pop so little that I forget that it's a thing, though.

withak posted:

It would be a lot better if you didn't need gigantic hands to reach the left edge of the screen with the your right thumb.

Lefty master race. :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.