Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Fangz posted:

On that topic, there's an often quoted stat that the Panther was comparable to the Pz IV in terms of manufacture cost and speed. I always wondered about that, noting that even into the late stages of the war the Pz IV was still being built in substantial numbers. So what gives?

Some guesses:
1. The numbers are incomparable because they were comparing early war pz IVs to late war panzers?

2. Only some factories can be converted to produce the Panther?

3. The Nazis wanted to keep the pz IV around for some other reason (StuG conversions?)

Most of the arguments about the Pz V's cost vs Pz IV are based upon the Reichmark cost of them, which considering how much of a Funny Money the RM was by the time the Pz V was in play tells you how useful that is.

The Pz V had a lot more *stuff* in it than the Pz IV, including thicker armor plates (more expensive), though there were less cuts involved compared to the Pz IV (cheaper)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

I kind of suspect that some of the savings are things we rag on it constantly for, like the optics fit.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Should have just become a sworn vassal of Karl von Habsburg first.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Should have just become a sworn vassal of Karl von Habsburg first.
you're joking, but the Hapsburgs have never trusted powerful military leaders since the complications between Wallenstein and Ferdinand II. It's probably why they've had no really first rate generals since, unless Eugene of Savoy counts

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Laffo

I mean the guy's already had to flee the country - why not do a little side action with Chinese Intelligence?

I was really annoyed in 2003 when every was all "Yes, let's use mercenaries in Iraq. They work for profit, and thus are better than the conventional military." I just wanted to huck a copy of "The Prince" at them. In retrospect, though, I imagine people with better historical knowledge were even more annoyed

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Nebakenezzer posted:

Laffo

I mean the guy's already had to flee the country - why not do a little side action with Chinese Intelligence?
despite the part where Erik Price was a devout Catholic, I thought he was always loyal to GWB, it's the next administration he has problems with

although I remember laughing when I read that he eventually made his employees swear an oath to him personally, not to the US

still, if we're going to replay the downfall of Wallenstein i wish Prince wasn't so shabby about it. First time as epic second time as farce, you know? We need a withdrawal to Canada and Joe Biden shanking him with a magical halberd or something, instead we get this douche

quote:

I was really annoyed in 2003 when every was all "Yes, let's use mercenaries in Iraq. They work for profit, and thus are better than the conventional military." I just wanted to huck a copy of "The Prince" at them. In retrospect, though, I imagine people with better historical knowledge were even more annoyed
Edit: The re-early-modern-ization of warmaking has been responsible for a number of fellowships for me, so why would I criticize it

Edit 2: Seriousposing I would not be surprised if that man ends up in a ditch somewhere

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Mar 25, 2016

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

HEY GAL posted:

you're joking, but the Hapsburgs have never trusted powerful military leaders since the complications between Wallenstein and Ferdinand II. It's probably why they've had no really first rate generals since, unless Eugene of Savoy counts

Wasn't Eugene of Savoy a prince and heir? If my memory didn't gently caress this up, here's your explanation. He doesn't count. :v:

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Ensign Expendable posted:

Isn't that this thread basically?

Well, it's hard to find the relevant posts when people keep going on and on about completely uninteresting subjects like pikes, Habsburgs and the HRE. :smugbert:

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Isn't that this thread basically?

I admit it's in my interest, but I feel like I've had the conversation a million times already, and this thread's been really cool to read about in terms of things I'm unfamiliar with. I wouldn't want to hijack it with an echo chamber I've participated in before (Even though I only started posting recently and it's all I've done), but that's only my own feelings.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

Comrade Koba posted:

Well, it's hard to find the relevant posts when people keep going on and on about completely uninteresting subjects like pikes, Habsburgs and the HRE. :smugbert:

:munch:

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Libluini posted:

Wasn't Eugene of Savoy a prince and heir? If my memory didn't gently caress this up, here's your explanation. He doesn't count. :v:
So the first time Wallenstein was removed a dude came to him to give him the news and he was all :smug: "The Emperor's been misled. I pity him, but I'll forgive him."

Like what the gently caress, dude? In public? Talk poo poo get hit.

A spare Ferdinand or two is much less of a hassle

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Ask Us About Military History: PYF crazy Germans at war story

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

My favorite part of this is the unstated subtext. Prince's adventures were finally so dumb and dangerous that a bunch of people at his own company decided to ratfuck him, and they determined to do it by giving the incriminating documents to Glenn Greenwald's crew.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

EvanSchenck posted:

My favorite part of this is the unstated subtext. Prince's adventures were finally so dumb and dangerous that a bunch of people at his own company decided to ratfuck him, and they determined to do it by giving the incriminating documents to Glenn Greenwald's crew.
that's the traditional way this goes down
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ottavio_Piccolomini

The Assassination Of Albrecht Wallenstein By The Coward Ferdinand The Second

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

HEY GAL posted:

still, if we're going to replay the downfall of Wallenstein i wish Prince wasn't so shabby about it. First time as epic second time as farce, you know? We need a withdrawal to Canada and Joe Biden shanking him with a magical halberd or something, instead we get this douche

Literal magic bullet, for maximum irony value.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

What's ten minutes between friends?

100 Years Ago

Today's joke: The Royal Navy launches a seaplane raid from a ship that sounds like a bathroom cleaner, against a Zeppelin shed that doesn't exist, in a town that isn't there any more. By rights it should be just an amusing footnote, but then some idiots crash some boats into some other boats, and there but for the grace of God goes Admiral Scheer, who of course has no idea about the ridiculous clusterfuck unfolding under his nose. And so he unknowingly passes up an opportunity to de-bag the Battle Cruiser Squadron and win that crushing naval victory that the High Seas Fleet so desperately needs. Oh well. There's always next time.

Also: a quick look at what the men of the Grand Fleet are doing to keep themselves entertained once they just can't masturbate any more; Grigoris Balakian gets run out of town with extreme prejudice; it's started to rain in Africa, prompting dramatic chords; hope for Private Louis Barthas if ever he gets round to putting in that complaint about losing the stripes he doesn't want anyway; and Robert Pelissier is enjoying the novelty of "being able to stand up straight" after five weeks up a mountain.

Trin Tragula fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Mar 26, 2016

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

Nebakenezzer posted:

Laffo

I don't know if Machiavelli is the best go to example here because he didn't have any problems 'interpreting' details to support his own thesis. In Machiavelli's time period the attempts at citizen armies were a last resort and got knocked out by professional mercenaries. The reason you don't want to use mercenaries is because those sons of bitches will steal everything they can get their hands on and don't give a poo poo about hearts or minds.

(or working for Chinese intelligence on the side)

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
don't mercenaryshame

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
You say "steal everything that isn't nailed down," I say "require minimal field provisioning in fresh theatres of war".

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Show me a soldier who's never conducted informal resupply exercises while on active service and I'll show you a damned liar

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Trin Tragula posted:

Show me a soldier who's never conducted informal resupply exercises while on active service and I'll show you a damned liar
lol @ informal, this is a professional job

they go over the tax assessments in every new friendly or neutral district and squeeze them accordingly

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

HEY GAL posted:

don't mercenaryshame

As if mercenaries would ever feel shameful for looting.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Trin Tragula posted:

There's a term "sper" in the IDF, which means equipment that you have but is not on the books. The "official" version is that it's a bastardization of the English word "spare", but a more likely origin is from the Russian word "sper" ([has] stolen).

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005
Apparently the Ukrainians have lost a lot of tanks against the Russians.

http://englishrussia.com/2016/03/25/tank-apocalypse-in-donbass/

Not sure what this one was:

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
T-64 of some description, probably T-64BV. There's a great identification guide for Soviet post-war armour here: http://sturgeonshouse.ipbhost.com/i...at-doesnt-work/

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Most of those were destroyed by artillery, which is probably the first time in history we've seen that.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

bewbies posted:

Most of those were destroyed by artillery, which is probably the first time in history we've seen that.

Seen as in the first time we've been able to observe it photographically? I thought that was a pretty common killer of tanks in WWII.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

GreyjoyBastard posted:

You say "steal everything that isn't nailed down," I say "require minimal field provisioning in fresh theatres of war".
strategy actually changed a lot when regiments stopped roaming about self-sufficiently at will

edit:

Ithle01 posted:

As if mercenaries would ever feel shameful for looting.
i've got friends who study the 18th century and by then soldiers might try to put a good face on it and sometimes from the way they write you can tell they feel bad. 17th century? naaaaah

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Mar 26, 2016

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
All those missing turrets... you don't want to get hit in a T-tank :ohdear:

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

PittTheElder posted:

Seen as in the first time we've been able to observe it photographically? I thought that was a pretty common killer of tanks in WWII.

Depends on what you mean by artillery. Direct-fire fixed AT guns? Yeah, that was like #1 most of the time from what I remember. Indirect artillery fire? Not many destroyed directly, but it could screw up an attack by causing bad terrain or disorganizing an attack enough, but I guess I'm cheating with words there. I think it was Aachen where an American artillery battery famously caught a heavy tank unit out in the open and forced them to retreat.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
DPICM (artillery cluster munitions) is a hell of a thing.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

That's fascinating stuff. Is there a good book on modern-day mercenaries you could recommend?

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

PittTheElder posted:

No, the first time we've seen accurate, massed, surface to surface anti armor fires. At least to my knowledge anyway. It basically takes a direct hit with an HE round to kill a tank so in the past it was more of a rare/unlucky thing than MASS HUNKS OF TWISTED METAL like this.

The army has been kind of making GBS threads its pants over this for a while now, it has an awful lot of implications for a whole lot of different things. Not the least of which, the US is about to completely divest itself of DPICMs pretty shortly.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

"You see this tool that's great at destroying tanks? Let's never use it"

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

JcDent posted:

"You see this tool that's great at destroying tanks? Let's never use it"

It's not like we'll ever have to fight tanks again in a conflict where we can't use our overwhelming air power!

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

T-64 of some description, probably T-64BV. There's a great identification guide for Soviet post-war armour here: http://sturgeonshouse.ipbhost.com/i...at-doesnt-work/

quote:

Because T-72 engine is battle-proven diesel based on legendary V-2 engine from GLORIOUS KV-1, instead of small engine with giant airfilters that nullify advantages of smaller engine and doesn't fix disadvantages of that crazy engines that only out of their minds Kharkovites could use for a combat vehicle that was expected to fight the Last war of Humanity, we should also know engine compartment batter than T-64's engine deck.

:allears:

I love this.

Trin Tragula posted:

Today's joke: The Royal Navy launches a seaplane raid from a ship that sounds like a bathroom cleaner, against a Zeppelin shed that doesn't exist, in a town that isn't there any more. By rights it should be just an amusing footnote, but then some idiots crash some boats into some other boats, and there but for the grace of God goes Admiral Scheer, who of course has no idea about the ridiculous clusterfuck unfolding under his nose. And so he unknowingly passes up an opportunity to de-bag the Battle Cruiser Squadron and win that crushing naval victory that the High Seas Fleet so desperately needs. Oh well. There's always next time.

The British had a definite hate-on for Zeppelins, and had many schemes for attacking Zeppelins or bombing their hangers. While they eventually get some ideas that work, they spend an awful long time dealing with broken seaplanes and dead pilots for not very good reasons. Maybe its the boredom thing you mentioned. (To be honest being stuck on a WW1 warship in the Orkneys for years at a time is one of those trying war circumstances that's never occurred to me up until now.)

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Nebakenezzer posted:

The British had a definite hate-on for Zeppelins, and had many schemes for attacking Zeppelins or bombing their hangers. While they eventually get some ideas that work, they spend an awful long time dealing with broken seaplanes and dead pilots for not very good reasons. Maybe its the boredom thing you mentioned. (To be honest being stuck on a WW1 warship in the Orkneys for years at a time is one of those trying war circumstances that's never occurred to me up until now.)

In a full-on Jutland-type scenario they were expected to be used as scouts for the German fleet. The Royal Navy in particular had pretty good reasons to want to be able to deal with them (the only reason they didn't show up at the actual battle of Jutland was unfavourable wind conditions, in fact).

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

bewbies posted:

The army has been kind of making GBS threads its pants over this for a while now, it has an awful lot of implications for a whole lot of different things. Not the least of which, the US is about to completely divest itself of DPICMs pretty shortly.

Is that because the cost of giving them up is that much lower now because the capability can be provided by more regular artillery solutions, or are they expensive to maintain?

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Nebakenezzer posted:

:allears:

I love this.

The whole thread is gold.

I wish there was a "best of..." list in the OP, for easy access to p-mack's posts or EE's tankposting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

xthetenth posted:

Is that because the cost of giving them up is that much lower now because the capability can be provided by more regular artillery solutions, or are they expensive to maintain?

it is actually because of the cluster munitions ban. it is still a really important capability, and one that cannot be backfilled for at least a decade

• Locked thread