Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

ExHumus posted:

Stronghold, as long as you aren't queueing as a guild team.

Right, my mistake, forgot about Stronghold. I haven't had much chance to play it, people don't seem to care.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExHumus
Aug 30, 2006

BOOM BOOM!!

CLAM DOWN posted:

Right, my mistake, forgot about Stronghold. I haven't had much chance to play it, people don't seem to care.

Yeah, I mean it's garbage, but technically it's a mode you can play in ranked.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
I should have seen this coming with the glacial slowness of legendary weapon releases. Still... We paid full price for an incomplete product, have seen very few fixes or additions since launch, and now one of the expansion selling points is officially canceled less than halfway through completion.

drat it, GW2. The base game is so solid, but whatever mismanagement and poor planning went behind HoT is wrecking its new content and generating anti-hype.

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
You guys just wait, April 1st. SAB time.

John Lightning
Mar 10, 2012
According to IRC SAB isn't coming out since I popped a blister. Sorry guys. Guess you'll have to go play BDO or something haha

Pesterchum
Nov 8, 2009

clown car to hell choo choo

John Lightning posted:

According to IRC SAB isn't coming out since I popped a blister. Sorry guys. Guess you'll have to go play BDO or something haha

Can we at least get the infinite continue coin added back to the store?

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

I've been playing less and less the past few months and haven't even done teq in weeks. Between two deluxe versions and a gem card I think the game cost me about $200 all in, which isn't so bad as far as costly mistakes go. This game has almost everything except a reason to play it for me right now. At least I'll always have my memories of dumb poo poo the guilds did. If it weren't for that I probably would have given up a couple years ago already. Thanks for the memories, goons :unsmith:

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
With Guild Wars 1 there was always something I could come back to, as weird as that sounds. There was always build tinkering and pvping, but maybe that's because I was younger and didn't have a job.

This game though? I might as well wait until the next expansion, at least i'll save 50 dollars if i do that. I really lost interest during the later half of living story. Scratch that, I lost interest when they started the Living Story

Fargin Icehole fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Mar 26, 2016

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

No matter how things may seem to change, never forget who you are
Sucks to cancel anything, but relatively few people will ever bother w/ the massive grind for legendaries. Focusing on more content that lots of folks can play is better for the game and better for the studio IMO.

Mo's making smart decisions and working with what he inherited, it's been really interesting to see the shift in priorities.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I've been playing regularly before HoT to catch up to LS2 and to get more armor skins, but with the death of dungeoneering and addition of HoT I just can't motivate myself anymore. Part of it isn't even rational, but I simply don't like the HoT zones/story and even though I could continue to finish off pre-HoT content I don't because that would mean missing out by not getting mastery points for the (admittedly cool) HoT movement stuff or HP for my elite specs, so why bother :(

Visidan posted:

They're probably doing this because colin left. Making new content for the CASUAL majority is a good thing instead of this retarded grind legendary garbage.

Now they need to make this retroactive and strip everyone of their legendaries especially arus.

Indeed, weapon skins with elaborate grinds attached isn't exactly "content" I'll be missing if they cut it in favor of stuff I actually want to play. Now they just have to deliver the latter part :v:

Yeah they promised more for HoT and it sucks to lose more features of a $50 expansion pack that generally underdelivered, but legendaries are really among the things whose cut affects average players the least, I figure.

orcane fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Mar 26, 2016

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

it's pretty much just one of those things where unless we actually see results it's going to come off as bad no matter what. it's one thing for someone to say they want to shift their focus to something more important, and something else entirely to actually follow through with it. i definitely don't want to be all doom and gloom about it, so as someone who might have actually bothered slowly working towards a legendary at some point and who is also excited to hear about different priorities, i'm mostly kind of waiting to see what this aforementioned 'spring' update brings.

e: also i unlocked the beginning collection for the colossus precursor and it looks sort of neat as a fun little thing to do on the side but i'm dreading starting on it because i know what to expect from the second tier :smith:

Johnny Joestar fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Mar 26, 2016

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Tivac posted:

Mo's making smart decisions and working with what he inherited, it's been really interesting to see the shift in priorities.

Inherited? He's was Colin's boss was/is still the president and only remaining founder. Was Colin running the show and he just oblivious?

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!

Tivac posted:

Sucks to cancel anything, but relatively few people will ever bother w/ the massive grind for legendaries. Focusing on more content that lots of folks can play is better for the game and better for the studio IMO.

Oh, definitely. They've always been obtainable for only a few, and I wouldn't ever make them a priority. But it was advertised as a big feature, so people feel burnt when that got canned. Big mistake to present it that way.

I hope the ship can be turned around. It's obvious that there were some problems with management. A team can have good people and good tools, but if they're not given enough direction/given direction that isn't effective, everything can go to hell. It takes time to untangle these messes. I'm glad that he's actually communicating the team's plans, capabilities, and intents, but I just wish there was good news.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Also gently caress you anet, dreamer rules

Dreamer SUCKS.

Arachnophobia 4 lyfe.

Pesterchum posted:

Can we at least get the infinite continue coin added back to the store?

You can have mine, its been sitting in my bank for 2 loving years.

Alteisen fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Mar 26, 2016

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky

Mizuti posted:

Oh, definitely. They've always been obtainable for only a few,

I have two :smaug:

there are people with many more though

I'm glad they're releasing the one other legendary I want though :toot:

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

Meatoberfest is in full swing.
I suppose the option to make HoT legendaries not a larger than ever gold/material/time investment already passed, along with having precursor crafting make the old legendaries universally more affordable.

SansWetware
Oct 16, 2008

Tivac posted:

I understand that internally this may be a sound and logical decision to make but the customer is seeing something different. They see something that was a planned and advertised feature shelved. I think there is a value to finishing what you start and doing what you say you are going to do (from a business standpoint, not really trying to wax poetic here). I am reading an awful lot of "don't trust/don't buy/don't spend" all over the place. If people don't believe they are getting what you tell them they are getting they won't spend. I would love love love some more core GW2 game play but the stink of "ANet won't deliver" will be hard to shake.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Tivac posted:

legendaries exist as an ultimate goal in one of the main draws of the game, which is looking fabulous. they're the pinnacle of princessing. the height of hip. the apex of adornment. the crown of couture. the... aiguille of artistry... ok, i'll stop.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

SansWetware posted:

I understand that internally this may be a sound and logical decision to make but the customer is seeing something different. They see something that was a planned and advertised feature shelved. I think there is a value to finishing what you start and doing what you say you are going to do (from a business standpoint, not really trying to wax poetic here). I am reading an awful lot of "don't trust/don't buy/don't spend" all over the place. If people don't believe they are getting what you tell them they are getting they won't spend. I would love love love some more core GW2 game play but the stink of "ANet won't deliver" will be hard to shake.

Bingo.

I haven't played this game in months, and even when I did I never even attempted to make a legendary. But this still seems incredibly lovely. The expansion was disappointing at release and now that promised features are being killed off it gives me even less incentive to ever come back.

It doesn't matter if these are features I didn't care about because for all I know those will be next.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I don't see how cutting something you weren't going to do makes it less reasonable to return. I mean, either there's something new/something that was promised being added and you return for that, or you don't?

"They cut legendaries, they will cut everything!" is kind of a weird argument to make considering they say they cut them in order to focus on something else. What they'll do with their newfound developer resources is unknown to us at this point, of course, but if you didn't stick around/plan to return for new legendaries specifically, you may as well wait and see and return/keep playing for the stuff that's still to come.

You can still quit for good if it's really getting cut, as opposed to quitting because there's a chance it might get cut, which, in any MMO, would mean you should never have started playing it in the first place...

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Johnny Joestar posted:

e: also i unlocked the beginning collection for the colossus precursor and it looks sort of neat as a fun little thing to do on the side but i'm dreading starting on it because i know what to expect from the second tier :smith:
Every now and then I consider crafting a precursor but then I 1) look at what the cost is for even the first part and get discouraged and 2) remember I can't even finish it because I don't have enough mastery points to get the last two precursor masteries and I can't be assed to go around and collect like 15 more Tyria points :geno:

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

orcane posted:

What they'll do with their newfound developer resources is unknown to us at this point

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

E: No actually they don't need to add more people to making outfits, black lion weapon- and glider skins. They seem to have 90% of the company making those already :v:

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
That thing owns tho.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

orcane posted:

I don't see how cutting something you weren't going to do makes it less reasonable to return. I mean, either there's something new/something that was promised being added and you return for that, or you don't?

Fair points, I probably had that backwards anyway. They already neutered or stopped development on the parts of the game that liked best. Its still lovely to renege on promised content after people bought the expansion. This isn't a early access game.

One correction though the people taken off legendaries we're specifically put on living world story stuff. I just can't muster up any interest there.

DISASTER DOVE
Dec 13, 2015

D̷O̶N̴'̴T̷ ̸T̷O̷U̵C̷H̶ ̶M̷E̸

Blasphemeral posted:

Finally, there's the Gemstore/Black Lion skins. This stuff, if you want it without dropping actual cash monies on it, is going to take you forever to get. Converting Gold to Gems is one of the shittiest exchange rates I've ever seen for time invested to outcome. And even if you want to drop real money, the Black Lion skins don't even give you a guaranteed return rate. You have to get lucky on opening chests--basically pulling a slot machine handle. According to the drop rates on the GW2 wiki, assuming average odds, and using some napkin math, you get about ~5 tickets per 10,000 chests. If you get a skin when it's first available, and worth the rare 1 ticket (rather than the 2, 3, 4 or more tickets, otherwise) it will cost you about $312 US to acquire one of these.
Also in this tier are Legendary Skins. These things, according to the new collection achievement quests available, take about 10-times the time and materials of crafting an Ascended item of the same slot.
We'll call this the Are You loving Kidding Me Tier.

CLAM DOWN posted:

Yeah, Americans don't realize how annoying this is. $20 in gems, 1600 of them, cost me $20 CAD when the game came out. Today, it's fluctuating, but it would've cost me $35+ a month ago. That's not fair :(

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I'm gravely offended by this because our 5 dollar bill doesn't look like that anymore :colbert:

otherwise, lol

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde

CLAM DOWN posted:

I'm gravely offended by this because our 5 dollar bill doesn't look like that anymore :colbert:

otherwise, lol

is his head flying into outerspace

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Visidan posted:

is his head flying into outerspace

yes our parliament building is actually a rocket ship

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
wow theyre really proud of the canadarm

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
While I don't intend to ever make a legendary weapon for myself, it's still nice to see them sparkle.

Does Anet need more employees or something because this feels like the hundredth time they said they had to shut down a part of the game to put those people to work on something else, how can this be the exact same story time after time? it's a bit demoralizing for the playerbase and I've found myself logging in less and less even for the daily reward.

shrach
Jan 10, 2004

daylight ssssaving time

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Does Anet need more employees or something because this feels like the hundredth time they said they had to shut down a part of the game to put those people to work on something else, how can this be the exact same story time after time? it's a bit demoralizing for the playerbase and I've found myself logging in less and less even for the daily reward.

Pick whatever feature you want.

LFG. We're supposed to believe that renaming the tab for "dungeons" to "dungeons and raids" and then having one subcategory for all the dungeons and renaming all the other old dungeon sub categories into raid bosses would be a multi-month job. That's either true or a lie, really not sure which would be better.

Totbot
Oct 4, 2013
I think the whole canceling content thing would have gone better if they had released something else at the same time. Like yeah, Legendaries are a huge grind. I've played GW2 for thousands of hours and don't have one because its not my cup of tea so I perfectly understand it. But why not re-release something like Crowns Pavilion at the same time? Would make me take their word that they want to focus on casual stuff a little bit more seriously.

I did like the expansion. I like big zones full of events. I like the new class specs. But a content drought right after the pre-expansion content drought? Come on.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Just look at this $100 GW2 deluxe expansion I bought. C'mon!

http://youtu.be/81Nl7VYFEaI

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Yeah, I'd be a lot more accepting of their cancelling more stuff if they weren't already comically bad at releasing things.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

This game is better off if people that cared that much about legendaries left.

As a WvWer I'm :lol: at all the salt over this. This is the same ol same ol, just go find your own fun and be gracious of what's given to you jeez, even if that fun is in a different game.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

Lmao anet went hardcore for HoT like wildstar did and then got burned like wildstar did

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

SansWetware posted:

I am reading an awful lot of "don't trust/don't buy/don't spend" all over the place.

So gems are going to drop in value, then? Works for me.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Tivac posted:

I understand what you're saying, but it's also a harsh truth that until the actual deliverables start coming out, the customer base doesn't give a poo poo. And they can't be blamed for that, because as customers that's all they get from you and the getting hasn't been good for a while now.

edit - and yeah i realise that moving devs to content that more people will play is the kind of decision that will directly lead to more deliverables. i'm just saying that until you actually deliver everyone is going to keep being salty

Kessel fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Mar 26, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenix
Feb 21, 2003

Tivac posted:

How many people work at ANet? Does adding 6 people to a different team drastically increase the rate at which that team delivers content? I'm guessing no. I'm also guessing that there are some massive internal labor and management problems at ANet, based on this and other things delivered (or not) since HoT came out.

Also your "relatively few" comment makes little to no sense out of context. Relatively few of every person who logs into the game once? Sure. Relatively few of people who are actively playing the game at level 80? Somehow, I doubt that based on the relative number of legendaries you see just running around town.

Xenix fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Mar 26, 2016

• Locked thread