Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

EL BROMANCE posted:

I'm glad the age old joke of Linux not having working sound or networking is still at least partially true.

Linux on the desktop amirite?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Any year soon.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

teagone posted:

Are you using the Plex Embedded OS or are you running Plex in a Windows environment? If the latter, are you using Plex Home Theater or—assuming you paid for a Plex Pass—are you using Plex Media Player? As Pallando mentioned, the stuttering is likely being caused by an audio issue.

[edit] Looking up a review real quick, the NUC I linked you is capable of decoding an 80Mbps 4K HEVC 30FPS stream without a hitch: http://nucblog.net/2015/07/braswell-nuc-nuc5cpyh-review-windows-performance/ so I'm pretty sure it's not an issue surrouding the CPU/GPU being took weak for playing back straight blu-ray rips. The hardware should be more than capable.

Pallando posted:

Most of the stuttering is a problem of incorrect audio drivers and audio setup. Make sure to install all of them and make sure audio is set up right. There is a guide here: http://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/201214687-Audio-Configuration-Guide-Plex-Home-Theater

That eliminated most of my stuttering issues. Depending on the NUC and your OS, HD Audio stuff like DTS MA could also be a problem.

Checkbox: Disable hardware decoding, problem->solved. (Limited testing.)

Next issue: Neither CEC keypresses nor FLIRC keypresses are being seen. I copied in cec.json and lirc.json into keymaps and rebooted. Nada. I expect the flirc issue to be easier, I was surprised the thing even registered CEC at all because Linux.

Also hilarious: The amount of r/w configuration you can do on this machine without enabling anything. Oh ssh root@plexmediaplayer password plex? No problem. Samba r/w? no problem.

Edit: CEC looks like Intel helpfully didn't hook that up, so: https://www.pulse-eight.com/p/154/intel-nuc-hdmi-cec-adapter . Screw flirc and yet another remote.

H110Hawk fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Mar 18, 2016

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

H110Hawk posted:

Checkbox: Disable hardware decoding, problem->solved. (Limited testing.)

Next issue: Neither CEC keypresses nor FLIRC keypresses are being seen. I copied in cec.json and lirc.json into keymaps and rebooted. Nada. I expect the flirc issue to be easier, I was surprised the thing even registered CEC at all because Linux.

Also hilarious: The amount of r/w configuration you can do on this machine without enabling anything. Oh ssh root@plexmediaplayer password plex? No problem. Samba r/w? no problem.

Edit: CEC looks like Intel helpfully didn't hook that up, so: https://www.pulse-eight.com/p/154/intel-nuc-hdmi-cec-adapter . Screw flirc and yet another remote.

Can't you just pre-program/configure the FLIRC and a corresponding remote on another PC and then hook the FLIRC up to the NUC? Also make sure your FLIRC has the latest firmware installed.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

I'm a little disappointed that PMP embedded requires a 64b CPU; I have some old laptops and other hardware with 32b CPUs (think Pentium M and the like) that would be perfect as media players but I don't want to have to install full OSs on them.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Atomizer posted:

I'm a little disappointed that PMP embedded requires a 64b CPU; I have some old laptops and other hardware with 32b CPUs (think Pentium M and the like) that would be perfect as media players but I don't want to have to install full OSs on them.

They probably wouldn't; without a GPU doing hardware decoding for the CPU anything of that gen will struggle with h264 at 1080 or even 720 resolution, even without the plex overheads. If it did work you would be slamming those chips to 80%+ use and those laptops are gonna get hot and noisy.
It's hardly worth their time to try to support the 0.1% of systems that don't have 64bit support but can otherwise play content.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

teagone posted:

Can't you just pre-program/configure the FLIRC and a corresponding remote on another PC and then hook the FLIRC up to the NUC? Also make sure your FLIRC has the latest firmware installed.

I like the elegance of it coming in over CEC. Turns out it doesn't support the internal adapter though so who knows. Trip report after I have time to figure it out.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

teagone posted:

In your case, all you'd really need is this Intel NUC + RAM + SSD/HDD, a FLIRC, and this $5 Motorola IR remote.

Just FYI, I just got this remote in and can tell you it does NOT work. For some reason each press of a button switches between two of them, so in Flirc if I press 'right', it will alternate between interpreting 'right' and 'left', 'enter' and 'up' seem to alternate between each other regardless of which I press, etc; the same thing seems to happen for all buttons. I don't know yet if it's the flirc or that remote.

Edit: Another remote I have works better - it just rapid-fires all the media keys for some reason - but that little issue could be addressed with Autohotkey. Unfortunately that doesn't help it actually launch or focus applications (like Plex or Steam Big Picture), because while I can do that with AHK also, there are no non-standard keyboard keys I could map the remote to. It does APPEAR to support F13-F15, but for whatever reason, they don't actually work.

Fuckin' sick of this poo poo, I feel like I know what I'm doing well enough to work around it when some software is garbage but just get stopped at every turn.

Edit2: Aaaaah the modifier keys in the "keyboard" setting are actual modifiers, not actual keys to bind, which is completely non-obvious from the way the screen looks. Okay that's workable.

zzMisc fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Mar 19, 2016

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Ali Aces posted:

Just FYI, I just got this remote in and can tell you it does NOT work. For some reason each press of a button switches between two of them, so in Flirc if I press 'right', it will alternate between interpreting 'right' and 'left', 'enter' and 'up' seem to alternate between each other regardless of which I press, etc; the same thing seems to happen for all buttons. I don't know yet if it's the flirc or that remote.

That's strange. I got that Moto remote for my brother's Plex setup with a FLIRC and he uses it just fine. I guess those remotes are cheap enough to where QA would be an issue though, so maybe it'd be best to recommend the Apple IR remote or a stock Roku IR remote.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

teagone posted:

That's strange. I got that Moto remote for my brother's Plex setup with a FLIRC and he uses it just fine. I guess those remotes are cheap enough to where QA would be an issue though, so maybe it'd be best to recommend the Apple IR remote or a stock Roku IR remote.

Ali Aces posted:

Mine isn't work either. Again don't know if it's flirc or the remote. Haven't done any troubleshooting yet though.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

drat, guess I'm 1/3 on that recommendation then. Sorry about :/

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

teagone posted:

Dunno what to tell you. There's an option for "Sequence Modifiers" in Advanced Settings, which almost sounds like it might have something to do with it but it does nothing and its mouseover says something about Windows Media Center so it's probably not relevant. It's on current firmware (3.7), it came with 3.6 but didn't work on that either.

H110Hawk posted:

Mine isn't work either. Again don't know if it is flirc or the remote. Haven't done any troubleshooting yet though.

Try this: Map 'up'. Then immediately map 'enter'. See if pressing either one repeatedly just causes it to bounce between the two. Then erase 'enter' twice and see it erase both. If so that's the same thing mine's doing.

Anyway now I've got another problem. Trying to activate Plex Media Player with Autohotkey's "WinActivate" doesn't work most of the time and I can't find any other method to attempt. It just flickers and goes back to whatever I was in. Most of the time. Occasionally it works, about 10% of the time. Can't find anything I can do about it. Maybe I'll try Home Theater.

Even in the future, nothing works!

...PHT works way better with the remote anyway. Now this is kickin' it in style.

zzMisc fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Mar 20, 2016

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

teagone posted:

drat, guess I'm 1/3 on that recommendation then. Sorry about :/

:downs: Didn't know you had to program the flirc. TV remote works now, however because it's not through CEC magic it's sitting there controlling Plex despite it not being selected. Haven't tried the tiny remote of shame yet.

And cheapest remote amazon sells is cheap. It programmed OK, but actually using it is horrifically bad. I'm just going to send it back as DOA.

H110Hawk fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Mar 20, 2016

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Khablam posted:

They probably wouldn't; without a GPU doing hardware decoding for the CPU anything of that gen will struggle with h264 at 1080 or even 720 resolution, even without the plex overheads. If it did work you would be slamming those chips to 80%+ use and those laptops are gonna get hot and noisy.
It's hardly worth their time to try to support the 0.1% of systems that don't have 64bit support but can otherwise play content.

Well one of the laptops in question is a Pentium M 760 (2 GHz, Dothan) with a GeForce Go 6800. Old, sure, but it includes hardware AVC decoding. The rest of the devices tend to be lesser-specced though, with Intel Integrated Graphics.

That being said, my content is all from DVDs at the moment, so 480p max. Shouldn't be much of a problem for any of the machines, really, even though I'm transcoding to HEVC. The server is doing the on-the-fly transcoding anyway, so I would just be playing at whatever each individual device could handle. No big deal, it was just an idea to get some use out of PCs that are otherwise boxed up and/or collecting dust.

I could always throw a Linux distro on there to replace XP and see how well it runs. I had an issue (the absent-PAE-flag thing) installing Ubuntu on an older Banias system for my Dad and ended up using another distro, but it worked out. If I ever get around to this I'll let you know how well PMP runs on 32b Lubuntu or whatever.

emocrat
Feb 28, 2007
Sidewalk Technology
Looking for any insight on a problem with Plex/FireTV

So, I have my Plex server set up and running fine. Its running on a slightly older gaming rig, that can handle transcoding with no issues. I hooked up a FireTV the other day and tried to watch some stuff on it (remotely, so over the internet). It loads up the libraries and fetches titles just fine. As soon as I start playing the videos freeze/stutter. I get a message saying that I don't have the bandwidth and should lower the quality. Thing is, I do have the bandwidth on both sides of the transfer, and this occurs despite lowering it way down to 2m/720p. I can use other apps on the FireTv and stream 1080p fine. I loaded up my Plex on my phone, using the same internet connection as the Fire, and was able to stream the titles just fine.

So, any ideas on where to look for problems? I know my Plex server is up to date, and I tested a handful of different titles, although i suppose its possible I got unlucky and they all are a particular format the fire doesn't like (I thought transcoding would render that moot?)

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
I had the same issue with my old First Gen Fire TV on wifi or ethernet didn't matter. I never solved the problem. It was rooted but I don't think that would have caused the problem.

In the end I just went back to my chromecast. If you ever figure it out let me know.

Also running Plex on a gaming rig (ivybridge quad core cpu, intel ethernet adapter on some basic asus motherboard, etc)

emocrat
Feb 28, 2007
Sidewalk Technology
Well, that doesn't bode well. This is also a first Gen Fire TV...

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

emocrat posted:

Well, that doesn't bode well. This is also a first Gen Fire TV...

Kodi ended up working well enough as a Plex alternative but having to babysit Kodi wasn't fun and I never got around to setting up firestarter so accidentally hitting the home button and quitting out of kodi twenty times soured me on it.

That being said if you did ever use Kodi I know it doesn't like to quit right when you hit the home button and can cause problems with other programs on the Fire TV since it won't release ram, etc. I had to go into settings --> apps and then force close kodi. This was back when Kodi was just showing up on Fire TV though so maybe the fixed it.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Plex works fine for me on my first gen FireTV.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
Idly curious - is the one-time unlock for the full Android app tied to your Google account, or your plex.tv account?

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
As the unlocks are processed through the host device's purchase system (Appstore, Market, Roku, whatever) it's locked to your account for that service.

If you buy Pass, it's tied to your Plex account since you just log in with your credentials and bypass the in-app purchase completely.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

Craptacular! posted:

As the unlocks are processed through the host device's purchase system (Appstore, Market, Roku, whatever) it's locked to your account for that service.

If you buy Pass, it's tied to your Plex account since you just log in with your credentials and bypass the in-app purchase completely.

Plain vanilla Google Play version; I've got some Play credit burning a hole in my pocket. Only reason I ask is it's never clear whether an IAP unlock like this is licensed to the service account (i.e. my Google account) or the device, or some other means of weaselling around the 'one time' qualifier.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Craptacular! posted:

So how would this work with Plex Pass and other family members' accounts/devices? I'm running the server and can use my account to unlock the apps for my Android devices, but would Pass allow me to unlock the Android and Apple apps for my other family members?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Atomizer posted:

So how would this work with Plex Pass and other family members' accounts/devices? I'm running the server and can use my account to unlock the apps for my Android devices, but would Pass allow me to unlock the Android and Apple apps for my other family members?

That would only work if you sign in to your account on each of their devices, which I personally don't recommend. Tell them to pony up the $5 unlock fee in the app. It's a small price to pay to gain access to your Plex server on their mobile devices.

Reminder that the Plex app is free on certain devices. I believe it's free on the Roku, Xbox, and Apple TV.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Atomizer posted:

Make an account for your family and buy Pass for it. Done. Add the family account as a friend and give them access to your server.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Craptacular! posted:

Make an account for your family and buy Pass for it. Done. Add the family account as a friend and give them access to your server.

Oh, so have everyone use a single (non-administrator) account with Plex Pass? But Pass seems to have features that would be exclusive to the administrator, like Plex Home accounts, Fast User Switching, Mobile Sync, etc.; how does that work if someone who is not the administrator has Pass? I mean the Plex site itself says, "Tip!: The XYZ feature requires an active Plex Pass subscription for the main Plex Media Server or administrator Plex account." I don't want to give everyone access to my account.

I was reading the Pass features the other day, and I swear it explained on the Fast User Switching page that the Pass subscriber could sign in to a mobile app to unlock it, then switch to another account to let them use the unlocked app. Now I can't find where I read that.

Really, all I'd be looking to get out of Pass is Mobile Sync and mobile app unlocking; depending on whether or not there are separate phone/iPhone vs. tablet/iPad apps, the latter would be worth up to $50 right there.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
Basically:

App access != Plex Pass

App access = you have the app and can connect to a server on a device
Plex Pass = on the server, gives you more server features

Plex Pass also gives app access (via login only) for some devices. But buying an app doesn't give you plex pass on the server you want to connect to.

So if you want mobile apps to connect to your server, either:
a) buy it
b) share a login that is subscribed to Plex Pass

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
You can run more than one instance of Media Server at a time, so if you want the server features of Pass and not just app unlocks, but don't want people accessing your personal Plex account for some reason, then set up a second server with the family pass account that's sharing the libraries you want them to access. Then you still have your own server for your private files.

You can't give your family Pass features like mobile syncing if you don't also give them administration rights to the server, so make a second server if you really want to and make sure that permission to delete from within Plex is turned off so your brother in law doesn't wipe out your 20 seasons of Star Trek.

That's my best guess on what you should do. I don't have this problem, because my Dad and I share one Plex account and I'm not super concerned about him having access to my account.

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
I'm only pretending to care
Taco Defender
I know that, at least for iOS, all you need is for the server to be running under a Plex Pass enabled account and you can give people access to most plex pass functions.

1. Have anyone who wants access to your Plex server go to Plex.tv and create a free user account.

2. On your server go to Settings>Users>Friends and click the Invite Friends button. Enter the email addresses your friends used to create accounts in step 1.

3. For each person you invite you can choose which of your libraries they have access to and if they're allowed to Sync content or upload pictures.

Once you've sent out the invites each person will get an email with an acceptance link for them to click and once that's done they can log into the plex app and see your library and, if allowed, sync content from your library to their device or upload pics from their device to your server. No app purchase necessary.

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
Update my TFLC log? BOLLOCKS!
/
:backtowork:
My home entertainment setup is in need of some upgrading.

Currently I am running a plex server off my macbook to my smart tv. While this works fine its a pain always having to have my laptop on. I have all the media on my laptop drive and backed up on a usb drive. The problem come with Sky. I have access to my family's Sky Go account and watch all the sport and movies I want on my laptop. The issue is that Sky have decided to shaft everyone and are charging an extra £5 a month for Xbox live access. When my dad pays £90 a month he really didn't want to pay extra for my convenience.

I have a spare pc, and a Raspberry Pi. So I am thinking of using the PC or Raspberry Pi. The Rpi seemingly allowing airplay mirroring from my laptop for the Sky on the Tv. Its a retarded setup but I really want my sport and GOT on the tv. That said the airplay is blocked so a third party app is needed and its not great quality. Any other ideas?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Pay your dad the 5 pounds for freeloading his service?

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
/

sellouts posted:

Pay your dad the 5 pounds for freeloading his service?

Tried that... To be fair he gets his money worth in my computer repair consultation service.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Do you ever hook up a kill-a-watt to see how much you're paying in electricity for home servers?

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
Mine (Xeon + 6 HDD) runs me $8-10 a month (60W ~ 42 kWh/month @ 20¢), though it's doing a lot more than serving up Plex in a VM.

A low power processor and a single HDD might let you get down to an eighth the power draw on average.

lurksion fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Mar 26, 2016

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
My server costs me about $1.50-2.50 per month to operate depending on time of use charges, it runs 24/7. i3, 5xHDD, etc. It just basically runs Plex, nzbget and Sonarr.

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR
Weird. Suddenly a bunch of my movies aren't playing. Rebooted everything. Stuff that played 2 days ago wont play anymore...

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Cornjob posted:

Weird. Suddenly a bunch of my movies aren't playing. Rebooted everything. Stuff that played 2 days ago wont play anymore...

Maybe your hard drives are failing. Check using CDI? I had an issue with a dying hard drive when stuff wouldn't play in the past.

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR

teagone posted:

Maybe your hard drives are failing. Check using CDI? I had an issue with a dying hard drive when stuff wouldn't play in the past.

It happening on content thats on 2 seperate HDDs. Ill keep troubleshooting.

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
/
So i found a Skygo channel but it doesn't work :( and neither does the Netflix one. Are channels always pretty sketchy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I was using Plex as an App on a Sony blu ray player, I think it was the S5500. Go to the Opera Store in the BD player menu, install it, activate the code, and it worked fine.

After about 2 months it stopped working. Won't launch. It wants to open a browser window to tell me an error message but the error message screen wont load.

Plex support forums are full of dead links, it won't even search for "sony blu ray player" without erroring.

I can still access the server on browser and multiple PS3s.

Anyone know what's up?