Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Trees that you plant in winter will totally grow, you just have to make sure you don't have anything at all in the surrounding tiles. Wild seeds, paths, and even a tilled plot will prevent a tree from maturing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

The White Dragon posted:

Trees that you plant in winter will totally grow, you just have to make sure you don't have anything at all in the surrounding tiles. Wild seeds, paths, and even a tilled plot will prevent a tree from maturing.

To be clear, I mean oak/pine/maple trees, not fruit trees. And I've kept the surrounding 2 tiles clear and they're still not growing. Maybe it's just random and I got some slow trees.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

toanoradian posted:

Oh, okay.

poo poo, I've chosen the Forester path for my Foraging, thinking it means I'll get more wood from trees. Oh well, I guess Tapper is a better profession than Lumberjack?

Do you mean Gatherer? Yes it's better. Once you get a Steel axe and can get to the Secret Forest, the Lumberjack line of skills is almost worthless. You can edit the save file and switch professions.

GotLag posted:

And winter forage seeds. Not the biggest money-spinner but a tidy profit (and you can straight-up craft the seeds without any machinery or giving That Fucker any money).

Especially if you keg any crystal fruit you get.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Oh, that's a good idea. I've ran out of hops anyway.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

The White Dragon posted:

Did you give Haley a bouquet before you got married? I get the impression this is what's causing the issue. I've never had this problem and I always give presents to the other characters you can marry, but I also didn't give them bouquets.

Nope! I never gave them bouquets, it happens anyway.

bordot
Jul 6, 2006
Hey everyone.

I thought I'd share something that you might find useful - a site with all kinds of mods for Stardew! The site is at http://stardewmods.com

Some of the useful mods that I've been using:
- Grass Growth Mod
- Simple Sprinkler
- EasierFishing

And because I'm a huge nerd:
- Lightsabers, BB-8, and Yoda mods... lol.

Check the site out, there's some cool stuff there.

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

bordot posted:

Hey everyone.

I thought I'd share something that you might find useful - a site with all kinds of mods for Stardew! The site is at http://shittycopiers.com

Some of the useful mods that I've been using:
- Grass Growth Mod
- Simple Sprinkler
- EasierFishing

And because I'm a huge nerd:
- Lightsabers, BB-8, and Yoda mods... lol.

Check the site out, there's some cool stuff there.

These are all stolen and reposted by people who are not their authors(with no credit to them) from the official mods forum.

e: Nor are they kept up to date with the real ones: Copy, 1.71 and Real, 1.9 the real one has updated bug fixes and is updated for the newest version of SMAPI.

HarmB fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Mar 26, 2016

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator

Thanks! I'll switch to Gatherer.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Mazz posted:

My suggestion is just build in a pattern based on the sprinklers or level of watering can upgrade your relying on. I know to always buy 48 seeds for each field because that's the capacity of 2 iridium. 8 seeds per quality sprinkler, 24 per iridium. I'm definitely not a fan of the min/maxing around scarecrows and all that because it's too easy to get confused. Just build in the rectangles the sprinklers do, and drop a scarecrow every couple fields or so.

I like things to be pretty and mostly symmetrical, so I tend toward neat 15x3 plots that are watered from 3 iridum sprinklers on one side and 5 quality on the other. It only gets me 20 watered tiles per iridium, but I don't mind. I tried planting in between them during the summer and I didn't really like it, I'll probably go all the way and fill in the gaps between sprinklers with path tiles or something else that looks good but is mostly flat and doesn't block my view of crops. This way gets me a nice even 45 seeds per field too, and I tend to plant just one crop in each area.

I finally got my trellis crops into a straight line by breaking down and using my drat mouse instead of my gamepad too, so that should look and run much better going forward.

El Disco posted:

Do you mean Gatherer? Yes it's better. Once you get a Steel axe and can get to the Secret Forest, the Lumberjack line of skills is almost worthless. You can edit the save file and switch professions.

Thanks a bunch for pointing this out. Assuming the edits I make take I'll finally have +50% artisan sell price, +1 ore, and + coal harvesting, which should really get things humming the way I want them to. I made a backup save file just in case, no way am I going to tolerate 50+ hours of Stardewing being wiped out.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus

Kyrosiris posted:

The more valuable the mineral or gem, the longer it takes. Diamonds are like four days.

Oh thank god for that. I just didn't want to feel like I was wasting effort by not doing it.

Greaseman posted:

Seems legit.

Demetrius got me as his secret friend. He gave me a ruby the size of my head. :3:

Edit:

I'm on winter 2 and have yet to fix the community centre. I suspect that the rest of the map might be ruined now:

Zephyrine fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Mar 26, 2016

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I lost track of time and didn't go to Leah's art show. Do events like that repeat?

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Goddamnit I don't want to name my horse Grover but I can't think of anything else. Waiting for inspiration to strike with the game sitting on the horse name screen.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Bakanogami posted:

I lost track of time and didn't go to Leah's art show. Do events like that repeat?

Yes, any character event will happen on the first day you actually go there at the right time.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*

GotLag posted:

Goddamnit I don't want to name my horse Grover but I can't think of anything else. Waiting for inspiration to strike with the game sitting on the horse name screen.

Just keep mashing randomize?

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

Does luck stack higher than 3?

Also apparently Willy loves iridium bars and diamonds. I wish him luck with that as I force feed him pumpkins.

Well darn.

I have torn down and rebuilt these barns and coops for about 100.000 gold now.

Zephyrine fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Mar 26, 2016

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Azazell0 posted:

Where do you get ancient fruit seeds? I'm at summer year 2 and it has never even come up.

I waited for a good luck day, guzzled some pumpkin soup, and shoved several hundred blueberries into half a dozen seed makers from dawn until dusk... it netted me 3 ancient seeds... but just the actual seeds, I still don't have the artifact.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC

Zephyrine posted:

Does luck stack higher than 3?

I would think so. You can get your various skills past 10 with food items, so you probably can get luck past the lucky day value too.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Has Stardew.rocks been down for a long time for anyone else? I want to screenshot my farm!

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

Nessa posted:

I like my small, cute farm.

same, i have 10 kegs and preservers and dont want to go above that, ive got more than enough crops to support myself and every morning i give maru a gold bar or a diamond. its a good life.

it leaves me with a lot of real estate i dont use, though, and im working on landscaping it. ideally like flower gardens and suff, but i wish i could put down benches and other touches, make it into a real park, but a grid of flowers with a sprinkler in the center doesn't look as good as i wish it did

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Yeah, don't let anyone tell you that you're doing it wrong by not min-maxing. This game is best played at your own pace.

Rogue
May 11, 2002

The White Dragon posted:

even a tilled plot will prevent a tree from maturing.

Well that explains why I wasted a bunch of gold in my first spring. I was just clearing the 8 tiles around the tree so it could grow :(

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

Gravy Jones posted:

I waited for a good luck day, guzzled some pumpkin soup, and shoved several hundred blueberries into half a dozen seed makers from dawn until dusk... it netted me 3 ancient seeds... but just the actual seeds, I still don't have the artifact.

I got the artifact on spring 14 or 15 from a fishing treasure box on my secondary save which immediately became my primary save.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

GotLag posted:

Pick a random gimmick and go with that. I've been naming all my animals after characters Sylvester Stallone has played.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Gravy Jones posted:

I've found quite a few digging in the dirt in the mines jungle area.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

I finally reached level 10 fishing using only crab pots (because I don't care for the minigame)

I believe I used up about 4500 bait.

I need to build a few recyclers :v:

Science Rocket
Sep 4, 2006

Putting the Flash in Flash Man

Anyone have any clue on how to fix this? My fonts are screwed up and all of my shadows are green.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

I managed to get an ancient seed in Summer of year 1. Planted it, planted the first fruit it produced and planted a second seed I found. After that there wasn't enough time for a fourth to fully grow, so I just collected all the fruits they produced. After running them through the seed maker I ended up with 24 ancient fruit seeds by the time I got my green house. I'm just waiting on them to produce fruit, so I can turn it into seeds and plant more.

My one regret is I messed up the sprinkler layout due to not knowing you could place sprinklers on the wood around the dirt. I'll have to lose a plant in order to fix that.

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

So, I'm about at 10 fishing skill. What are people's tips or strategies for catching the different Legendary fish? Bait, tackle, etc?

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I took two in-game days to catch the spring legendary fish. Ate the food that gives you +3 fishing, used the tackle that reduces the speed of escape. A lot of hair-tearing, and then I sold the drat fish.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
I'm in Summer now, still doing the crop thing, wondering how best to make all the money and enable myself to go do everything else in the game. Would it be worth my time to upgrade the hoe and dig in the mines for Ancient Seeds? I have a preserver, kinda slow, and some hops growing for when I can eventually make kegs.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
You know, I didn't even realise Harvey was a romance candidate (I didn't look for the single title and missed it). That moustache made him look like someone's dad.

There's a mod for that!

RicochetD20 posted:

Anyone have any clue on how to fix this? My fonts are screwed up and all of my shadows are green.

Have you verified integrity of the game cache?

PhantomZero
Sep 7, 2007

Germstore posted:

I got the artifact on spring 14 or 15 from a fishing treasure box on my secondary save which immediately became my primary save.

The ancient artifiact isn't necessarly to plant the ancient seeds/fruit. Ancient seeds just let you make the seeds from additional artifacts you find.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
I've got a solid 7 or so ancient seeds, with a few more coming before the end of the fall season from existing plants. Definitely a good idea to throw them in the greenhouse, come to think of it. Set it up with sprinklers on all tiles in there and then only pop into it once every 15 days or so with no replanting needed, sounds good to me.

Try to plant the seeds in soil with high quality fertilizer, I typically get 2-3 seeds from turning a gold fruit into seeds. The fertilizer will probably only last a season, but it's a nice boost.

Science Rocket
Sep 4, 2006

Putting the Flash in Flash Man

GotLag posted:

You know, I didn't even realise Harvey was a romance candidate (I didn't look for the single title and missed it). That moustache made him look like someone's dad.

There's a mod for that!

Have you verified integrity of the game cache?

Yes, and then I uninstalled and reinstalled it and still doesn't work right. It worked right the first time I played too

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This ancient seed people keep talking about. It's essentially the free money game ender from what I understand?

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I like Harvey's stache.

It looks better in 2D than in 3D though.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Zephyrine posted:

This ancient seed people keep talking about. It's essentially the free money game ender from what I understand?

It's a crop that takes a fair while to grow but once done it spits out Ancient Fruit every week, and it grows in all seasons except winter. Once you get the greenhouse you never have to stop the ancient fruit from rolling in. The base value of an ancient fruit is enormous, and turning it into wine is even moreso, and the growth time for each subsequent harvest of ancient fruit lines up pretty well with the processing time of a keg, so mass-producing ancient fruit is both the fastest AND the lowest-effort way to have infinite money. Getting the first Ancient Seed either requires a lucky artifact find, or else a lucky result from processing a gold crop through a seed machine, but once you get your first ancient seed you can make as many seeds as you want with your fruits.

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

Crimsonfish caught. I got him on my first try and I don't actually know how that happened.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
I just now got the greenhouse and I have twelve ancient fruit seeds. I don't think I'm going to plant them. I think I'll do hops instead, still crazy money, but not CRAZY!!! money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Zephyrine posted:

It is but for real it doesn't take much to get to that point, really just capitalizing on the greenhouse and infinite cranberries or starfruits or w/e is good enough for effectively infinite money. This is a game where your income exponentially increases and it very soon reaches that point if you exploit even quality sprinklers