Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mikemil828
May 15, 2008

A man who has said too much
Apparently Cinemascore, a group that has for decades polls what average joes think of a movie after they watch it on opening day, said that they give it a B which while on the surface looks good but is actually terrible for a superhero movie, for example Catwoman, Fantastic Four, and Daredevil got B's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
now i know ive only read half the thread so far but does anybody else think Zack Snyder looks a lot like Glenn Howerton AKA Dennis Reynolds

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice
http://gu.com/p/4hpnk/sbl

A funny guardian article ripping the movie, but the best bit is the comments.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Pretty hosed up that this film takes less joy in its premise than Freddy Vs. Jason or Alien Vs. Predator.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Man of Steel was an okay movie

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Probably the best superman movie

(there are no good superman movies)

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Zzulu posted:

Man of Steel was an okay movie

Man of Steel did what a Superman movie needed to do, basically, and I enjoyed it.

Zzulu posted:

Everybody seems to hate Superman Returns and I liked it.

Ben Affleck is very sad about the BvS reviews and that makes me sad. It isn't that dude's fault. He did a good job with what he was given and I'd watch him be Batman more. Tell me I'd say that a month ago and I'd have never believed you. I was 100% certain he was going to be loving garbage. But he wasn't. :smith:

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

my hot take is that luthor was extremely good and the only people that disagree are nerds

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Sp1r0_Agn3W posted:

my hot take is that luthor was extremely good and the only people that disagree are nerds

agree

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

my main takeaway from the flick is that were prob gonna get a good batman movie in a couple years

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Sp1r0_Agn3W posted:

my main takeaway from the flick is that were prob gonna get a good batman movie in a couple years

next year, in fact

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

lol this movie was loving hjiarious.

-The actress who plays wonder woman can't speak english.

-Batman just murdering everyone because gently caress it.

-Clunky retarded batman armor

-Batman and superman become friends because their moms have the same name

-Jessie Eisenberg. lol

-Ben afflecks fat stupid face

Jeremy irons was the best part of the movie without even really seeming to try.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Zzulu posted:

lmao there's three betters ones and two of those three are actually good.

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Man of Steel did what a Superman movie needed to do, basically, and I enjoyed it.

lol

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

if you can't enjoy terrance stamp gnawing on the scenery as zod, i am sorry for the life you've lived

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

bow before zod

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Otisburg posted:

Pretty hosed up that this film takes less joy in its premise than Freddy Vs. Jason or Alien Vs. Predator.

yeah, out of a batman vs superman movie i was expecting maybe
-10min setup
-10min Batman preparation montage
-60min Epic fight scene, Batman vs Superman over the course of a month as Batmans plans all come together
-10min some sort of wrap-up, superman and batman become friends
-5min batman and superman find a spaceship and the corpse of a dead green lantern, magic ring flys off into a city "To be continued?!"
*end credits*

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Box Office Mojo is speculating, based off Thursday's numbers of $27.7 million and the numbers of Avengers 2: Age Of Ultron and The Dark Knight Rises, that BvS will make about $166 million in it's opening weekend. This is better than DKR at $160 million but worse than Age Of Ultron at $190 million.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Young Freud posted:

Box Office Mojo is speculating, based off Thursday's numbers of $27.7 million and the numbers of Avengers 2: Age Of Ultron and The Dark Knight Rises, that BvS will make about $166 million in it's opening weekend. This is better than DKR at $160 million but worse than Age Of Ultron at $190 million.

thats fair. dkr was a bad movie

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
2 thoughts I just had:

A) this movie takes place 18 months after MoS and Metropolis is completely rebuilt wtf
B) In the opening everyone is in the Wayne building sitting watching everything get blown up and not running until Wayne explicitly tells them to leave. Also wtf.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I really didn't see this Superhero boom coming to be honest

They were like this weird niche film thing that happened rarely (superman/batman) when I was growing up and nowadays we're getting a million movies and tv shows about people punching the poo poo out of eachother in costumes. It's really weird just how mainstream comicbook stuff suddenly became

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Sp1r0_Agn3W posted:

bow before zod

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFyHTU8tg_0

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

poo poo!

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

nigga crab pollock posted:

its a shame cause wonder woman owns

i guess her being inseparable from greek mthology probably ruins her ability to be truly ~grimdark~ and they are furiously writing some bullshit edgy backstory about how she was an illegitimate child of a rich guy who lives and was raised on some made up mediterranian island
Which part of Greek mythology is not grimdark? Take the Iliad, where before the war even starts, a guy kills his own daughter to ensure that the bloodthirsty sea-god won't destroy all the Greeks before they get a chance to kill the people they really want to kill. Now, that's dark.

literally a hog
Jan 5, 2006

Mandarrrrrk! Bring me the head of Dexter and Dee Dee shall forever be yours!

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Ben Affleck is very sad about the BvS reviews and that makes me sad.

He's old enough to know if screw up something as loved as Batman, fans will hate you forever. Its not like he wasn't in that terrible Daredevil movie.

Warner Brothers has always exerted hilarious amounts of interference and incompetence with how the DC comics movies are presented. The exception is the Nolan movies I think. Going by that Goyer quote from 2005, it seems like they were forced to deliver some haphazard project to get the Justice League movie out the door as soon as possible.

I feel worse for Brandon Routh who I think was a better Superman, but got the shaft compared to Caville.

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice

gleebster posted:

Which part of Greek mythology is not grimdark? Take the Iliad, where before the war even starts, a guy kills his own daughter to ensure that the bloodthirsty sea-god won't destroy all the Greeks before they get a chance to kill the people they really want to kill. Now, that's dark.

Yeah but it's all white robes and beautiful Mediterranean sunshine

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

Mel Mudkiper posted:

2 thoughts I just had:

A) this movie takes place 18 months after MoS and Metropolis is completely rebuilt wtf
B) In the opening everyone is in the Wayne building sitting watching everything get blown up and not running until Wayne explicitly tells them to leave. Also wtf.

Also:

C) The scene with Bruce and Diana bumping into each other at the museum with literally no thought as to how they got there or why
D) lol @ Lois being unable to even grab the dumb spear and needing to be saved by Superman yet again
E) That loving Aquaman cameo mugging for the camera like he's in a photo shoot
F) Wtf did Lex think that Doomsday was going to do after killing Superman??
G) Nice of Lex to design a corporate logo for each super powered doofus

At least the Wonder Woman theme was rad. And the Arkham Asylum-style beat down near the end but that's it. poo poo film.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Sp1r0_Agn3W posted:

He was fine, dude went straight up 1966 Batman villain with it and if they had thrown in some some dutch angles and a few henchmen flying around on brooms dressed like pirates, it would have worked better

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Doflamingo posted:

Also:

C) The scene with Bruce and Diana bumping into each other at the museum with literally no thought as to how they got there or why
D) lol @ Lois being unable to even grab the dumb spear and needing to be saved by Superman yet again

At least the Wonder Woman theme was rad. And the Arkham Asylum-style beat down near the end but that's it. poo poo film.

Also if Lex's entire plan was to trick Batman and Superman into fighting why did he want to make Kryptonite weapons to kill Superman if the Kryptonite was necessary for Batman to Superman? Did he know Batman would know that he had Kryptonite and steal it to make the weapons and so the whole Kryptonite weapon plan was a diverson? If so wtf.

Mel Mudkiper fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Mar 26, 2016

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Doflamingo posted:

Also:

After D I like to imagine that he literally just helps her do everything. "This is a Pencil Lois, let's write our name." level of stupid.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

The best part about Lois and the spear is that she threw it in there like two minutes before.

You can tell the screenwriters didn't have any clue how to add her to the stakes.

"What should Lois do?"

"How about the spear is in a well and she has to go get it?"

"How did it get in the well?"

"She threw it in there"

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Also if Lex's entire plan was to trick Batman and Superman into fighting why did he want to make Kryptonite weapons to kill Superman if the Kryptonite was necessary for Batman to Superman? Did he know Batman would know that he had Kryptonite and steal it to make the weapons and so the whole Kryptonite weapon plan was a diverson? If so wtf.

Yeah. Also, small thing: Batman shoots the tiny tracker at the truck then proceeds to nearly wreck it beyond all recognition and the tracker survives by sheer luck. Why didn't he just stand back and wait for the truck to reach its destination in the first place? Alternatively why couldn't he just go and grab the kryptonite straight away instead of letting them load it on the truck? IIRC he already knew that Lex was involved at that point anyway.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

my favorite thing was lois jumping in and almost drowning, being saved, then superman who saved her also jumping in and also almost drowning

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

really i knew what we all were in for within the first 5 minutes with the hard cut to

THE WORLD FIRST DISCOVERS THE SUPERMAN

or whatever it specifically said

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Doflamingo posted:

Yeah. Also, small thing: Batman shoots the tiny tracker at the truck then proceeds to nearly wreck it beyond all recognition and the tracker survives by sheer luck. Why didn't he just stand back and wait for the truck to reach its destination in the first place? Alternatively why couldn't he just go and grab the kryptonite straight away instead of letting them load it on the truck? IIRC he already knew that Lex was involved at that point anyway.

Because they needed a chase scene in which batman brutally murders multiple henchmen.

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

Sp1r0_Agn3W posted:

really i knew what we all were in for within the first 5 minutes with the hard cut to

THE WORLD FIRST DISCOVERS THE SUPERMAN

or whatever it specifically said

And right before that you have kid Bruce flying up into the sky in a loving Batnado lmao

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

Zzulu posted:

All bollywood movies are bad. All of them

I've done the necessary research and through careful analysis I can confirm that you are correct:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvCfA-C54uw

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Sp1r0_Agn3W posted:

my favorite thing was lois jumping in and almost drowning, being saved, then superman who saved her also jumping in and also almost drowning
Superman bubbling to the surface unconscious with spear in hand had me laugh so hard I was crying. That was the absolute best part of the film aside from Young Bruce being flown around by a swarm of bats.

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Zack Snyder made a movie about lolitas being sexually abused into multiple levels of delusional power fantasies before being brutally killed/lobotomized as a passion project.

Zack Snyder only has broken characters because he is a broken person

oh my god

I had completely ignored that movie up until now but this made me go read a synopsis and jesus

who the gently caress greenlit that, what kind of demented fucker makes a movie like that.

It's like someone played Alice and decided it needed a huge infusion of disturbing sexuality.

Who doea Zack Snyder know that let's him keep making movies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Ron Paul Atreides posted:

Who doea Zack Snyder know that let's him keep making movies

i have no loving clue

• Locked thread