Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

Gonna toot my own horn and say that I scored at least 100 nukes during Modern Warfare 2. I was a fuckin' OMA Tuber extraordinaire.

I got dogs once in BLOPS... *cough*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pythonicus
Apr 1, 2011

I just wanted to say...
I love you.
I'm not gonna lie, I probably spent about 85% of my time in MW1/2 multiplayer behind a sniper's scope. I loved getting into sniping duels because more often than not, I'd win :v:. It also meant that if I ever did play domination for whatever reason, I wasn't smacked in the face with eight launched grenades every minute or so.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

DeusExMachinima posted:

IIRC the Russians were pushed out of America in MW2 and at the beginning of 3 but were still in Europe afterwards thus the continuing conflict.

Nah, it's worse than that. MW2 ends with the Russians being pushed out of DC with the implication that the American front of the war is over (One of your squadmates asks "So when are we invading Moscow?") and completely forgets about the Alaska and LA fronts from one of the briefing screens. Then MW3 kicks off with the Russians actually also in New York, so you kick them out of there too and it's quiet for a while. THEN the Russians invade Germany, France, Italy, and the Czech Republic simultaneously, while also launching gas attacks on London.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby
I tried for a long time to get a Nuke in MW2. Then I got three in one weekend. Chopper Gunner helped, I'll admit.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

ninjahedgehog posted:

Nah, it's worse than that. MW2 ends with the Russians being pushed out of DC with the implication that the American front of the war is over (One of your squadmates asks "So when are we invading Moscow?") and completely forgets about the Alaska and LA fronts from one of the briefing screens. Then MW3 kicks off with the Russians actually also in New York, so you kick them out of there too and it's quiet for a while. THEN the Russians invade Germany, France, Italy, and the Czech Republic simultaneously, while also launching gas attacks on London.

It was implied that the other fronts did not actually exist, but were decoys created by hacking the early warning system. Also, considering that Parisian invasion force in MW3 included T-90s, you'd have to conclude that the Russian Army has teleportation abilities. Even with zero opposition it would take a considerable amount to time to move them overland. Anyway, All Ghillied Up is a very atmospheric level, but you have to wonder how the bad guys failed to noticed the flattened grass where our heroes had been crawling.

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

Look, just sign the stupid petition. I've got stuff to do.

ninjahedgehog posted:

and completely forgets about the Alaska and LA fronts from one of the briefing screens.

In fairness, I believe those were supposed to be "phantom" dots on America's radar systems so they'd be looking the wrong way or something when the Russians actually hit the East Coast. I remember in that cutscene the stations around Alaska and LA were completely nonchalant but the guy around DC was like "THEY'RE EVERYWHERE :byodood:".

The Casualty posted:

I tried for a long time to get a Nuke in MW2. Then I got three in one weekend. Chopper Gunner helped, I'll admit.

I never got a Nuke in MW2.

Hell, I never saw a legit nuke in MW2. Every time I did see one it was because of either an invincible hacker or a pair of assholes boosting each other to end every round with one.

MW3 was a bit different, I actually managed to call a MOAB in once or twice, but that was in Infected mode where it's far easier to get 20+ killing sprees since all the enemies have nothing but a knife. I got accused of hacking once simply because I was the only one not glitching myself up on top of the buses in that one map at the subway station and therefore was the one actually killing everybody.

EDIT: There's a fun thing about that AK you randomly get in One Shot, One Kill.

See, the game isn't really consistent on what carries over between All Ghillied Up and that mission. Your M21 makes the jump, minus its ghillie camouflage and suppressor, but little else does. Pretty much everything else that was available to you in All Ghillied Up turns into an AK for One Shot, One Kill... except for an actual AK, which instead turns into an unsuppressed USP.
The fun thing about the AK, too, if you get one for One Shot, One Kill, at least for most of the mission it kills enemies in a single bullet for some reason.

EDIT 2: Also, the sniper rifle everyone really used the ACOG with was the M40A3 - it increased the weapon's base power slightly, enough so that with Stopping Power it was basically a guaranteed one-shot kill no matter where you hit a guy with it. Nobody used the R700 because even when the crosshair was right over a guy sometimes a shot just wouldn't register as a hit for no reason.

Kadorhal fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Mar 24, 2016

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.
I came real close to getting a nuke all of once. I was at 24-0 on Wasteland and then got blindsided by a guy. He even messaged me asking if he ruined the nuke because he got a Buzzkill bonus for it. He felt bad about it :v:

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

Kadorhal posted:

Hell, I never saw a legit nuke in MW2. Every time I did see one it was because of either an invincible hacker or a pair of assholes boosting each other to end every round with one.

But even in our darkest hour, we had heroes to believe in. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_iuB3tqMrpA

e: I AM. THE LAW.

DeusExMachinima fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Mar 24, 2016

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat

ninjahedgehog posted:

THEN the Russians invade Germany, France, Italy, and the Czech Republic simultaneously, while also launching gas attacks on London.

No no, the Russians also gassed the capitals of the other important EU nations as well. Because how else could they invade?!

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat
It's like you don't understand the deep, intricately woven story of revenge and loss that MW3 told.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

drkeiscool posted:

No no, the Russians also gassed the capitals of the other important EU nations as well. Because how else could they invade?!

What was funny about the gas attacks was that Russia had solved a hostage situation at an opera house by gassing the place and killing a number of hostages that way just a few years earlier. Russia committing successful gas attacks at that time was more funny than serious.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

ninjahedgehog posted:

I guess my question is. Who is in charge of the russians in MW3. its obvious premier Vodakavitch's drunken invasion plan failed. and then Makarove captures him. so why do russians invade Europe.

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010
Overall this level had great atmosphere but the tactic of shove your face into McMillan's butt as closely as possible during the mandatory sneaking segments kind of spoiled it.

I never found a better way to do those segments since I am Bad at stealth.

bumblingbee
Dec 30, 2012

Gregbus? Gregbus, what's wrong? Answer me! GREGBUS!

Lazyfire posted:

What was funny about the gas attacks was that Russia had solved a hostage situation at an opera house by gassing the place and killing a number of hostages that way just a few years earlier. Russia committing successful gas attacks at that time was more funny than serious.

I really don't think that connection occurred to many. The Nord-Ost-Siege was in 2002, so that would make it nine years between that and MW3.

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

ModernMajorGeneral posted:

Overall this level had great atmosphere but the tactic of shove your face into McMillan's butt as closely as possible during the mandatory sneaking segments kind of spoiled it.

I never found a better way to do those segments since I am Bad at stealth.

Yeah, same here. When I did my LP the same thing happened as with Lazyfire here, I tried to hide right behind MacMillan and I got caught the first time anyway because of that one loving rear end in a top hat that's basically programmed to walk in your direction and discover you.

Also, I reinstalled CoD4 and started playing some multiplayer again yesterday (starting over from the beginning since my old mpdata file seems to have disappeared entirely) thanks to this LP. I've gotta say, you were right about the RPD. I gave it a shot soon as I got Create-a-Class unlocked and it was pretty rockin'. Although I still stand by my point that the M60 is also really good, I managed to grab one with a red dot off a guy once or twice and did pretty well with that too.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

We're really getting into the end of the game now, after this we've just got one long-by-this-game's-standards mission left. Not that it's a bad thing. I think the developers realized that topping All Ghillied Up/One Shot, One Kill would be difficult and decided to not even attempt it. Instead we get some pretty intense infantry and action segments like these two missions.

I make Heat look easy, but if you've played the game on Veteran or above it is probably the mission you get stuck on, even more than the end of One Shot, One Kill. It can be straight up difficult to bullshit on the more advanced settings, especially on the run down the hill at the end. I got really lucky and survived some completely insane poo poo like getting RPGd in the goddamn face somehow, but also know that the AI patterns would be a bit more forgiving if I just made a mad dash instead of trying to fight everyone. Same thing with the chase sequence in the second half of the video. Just keep pressing on and you'll make it to the end no problem.

I think the chase mission is really the better of the two missions. There aren't a ton of on-foot chase sequences like this in the CoD franchise while last stand moments are pretty drat frequent. Having to work through these half-fortified apartments while gunships blast machine gun positions and watching things go to hell at the end is all really great. It also, of course, sets up the end game here as we can see the Ultranationalists have their hands on some nuclear weapons now.

So how does next Saturday sound to everyone for multiplayer night? Barring some weird occurrence I should be free. Post in the thread if you are interested so I can get a preliminary count. I'll start filling in more details in the second post once we have some people signing up.

Pythonicus
Apr 1, 2011

I just wanted to say...
I love you.
Depending on work schedule, next Saturday sounds fantastic to me!

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Next Saturday works for me!

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat
"So, for example, we're ambushing these guys-"
*standing straight up in plain sight"

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat
A few thoughts-

The music during The Sins of the Father is my favorite track in the game; it gives an air of intensity and desperation that I don't think the later entries have been able to capture.

Flashbangs are weird, because you don't really need them on the lower difficulties, and then never have enough on the higher difficulties, just like the smoke grenades from CoD2. Speaking of smoke grenades, it's interesting how CoD2 had smoke grenades for when you needed to charge or flank a fortified position, and CoD4 has flashbangs for crippling clusters of enemies in tight spaces. It's a nice touch that shows how combat has changed from then and now.

Tofu Survivor
Nov 4, 2011

Contrary to popular belief, soy is not an effective zombie deterrent.
I can do Saturday as long as it's after 2:00 pm (EST).

The retail machine stops for no man or weekend. :negative:

Tofu Survivor fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Mar 26, 2016

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

The Griggs self-insert always annoyed me particularly in this video and the unironic end credits rap.

"Heh, ain't it a bitch?" "Sheeeit, kid's got some issues." :smugissar:

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

Next Saturday should be good for me too. I've got something I'm doing that morning, but I should be free for the night after that.

As for these missions. For me, Heat is nothing more than a daylight version of Safehouse. Just as hard, just as PTSD-inducing. Unrelated, I seem to recall somehow getting a Javelin missile stuck on the roof of the barn once, like I fired it and it just clunked ont he roof. The weird thing is I remember taking damage as if it exploded even though it didn't. Although, on the cut-content front, there's lines in the files about going to rescue Mac after he gets hit covering you at the tavern.

Sins of the Father I've got nothing on, except this. Well, also, if you look close, in the briefing for it you can see Zakhaev's son is holding the MP44 model from multiplayer.

IBlameRoadSuess
Feb 20, 2012

Fucking technology...

At least I HAVE THIS!
I should be good for Saturday as well, provided my boss doesn't dick me over on the schedule and make me close.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010
Another plot hole in this level: Where did the Russian Loyalist soldiers who helped take the hideout go?

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.
Heh. Nice rendition of the Ow Mix jingle there :v:

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
There really seem to be way fewer guns in this game than I remembered.

IBlameRoadSuess
Feb 20, 2012

Fucking technology...

At least I HAVE THIS!

Gargamel Gibson posted:

There really seem to be way fewer guns in this game than I remembered.

There are actually quite a large number of guns in this one, though not as many as the following games. Lazyfire touched on this in a few videos, but the problem in CoD4's campaign is that there's only one or two variants of most guns that you can pick up, and being Russians, they are obligated to carry 8 million AK47s wherever they go. It's a wonder we even see the G3, RPD and MP5 at all. I'm very glad they fixed this in the CoDs after this and adding the ability to customize your campaign loadout is a wonderful feature that should have been in the games from the start.

Edit: Looks like I'm gonna have to bow out for multiplayer shenanigans this Saturday, my boss did indeed dick me over on the schedule.

IBlameRoadSuess fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Mar 27, 2016

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

CoD4 Multiplayer Night Information

When:

Saturday, April 2nd. Starting around 8:30 to 9 PM Eastern.

How:

First, Click on this link to make sure you are on the CTS Mumble Server. We'll choose a channel (probably the Artemis one) closer to the start date. Try to have everything set up (and use a push to talk button) before we kick things off so we aren't troubleshooting for you day of.

Second, you kind of sort of need a copy of CoD4. If you want to join the server and shoot the poo poo that's cool, but you'll probably miss out on most of what's happening unless I or someone else decide to live stream. I will be recording my perspective and if you want to do the same feel free. We're doing all this through Steam for the most part, so it may be best to add me there so you can easily find me and join my games. I'm going to maintain a single solid Steam name for this week just for your sake. I'm currently JoJo Stalin's Bizarre Adventure

What

Depending on how many people sign up (I think we're at a solid five with a few people on the fence) we may just jump into other people's games for a bit and just dick around because for some reason CoD4 doesn't support parties on the PC so far as I can tell. If we have quite a few people there is the option to run your own games so we can get some Goon on Goon violence going. Most likely we're all just going to gently caress around for a little while in a decade old game. It should be pretty fun.

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

IBlameRoadSuess posted:

There are actually quite a large number of guns in this one, though not as many as the following games. Lazyfire touched on this in a few videos, but the problem in CoD4's campaign is that there's only one or two variants of most guns that you can pick up, and being Russians, they are obligated to carry 8 million AK47s wherever they go. It's a wonder we even see the G3, RPD and MP5 at all. I'm very glad they fixed this in the CoDs after this and adding the ability to customize your campaign loadout is a wonderful feature that should have been in the games from the start.

I think part of the reason it feels like there's so few guns in this game is because a good chunk of them are restricted to multiplayer, and the only real variation you get in attachments is with the M4. The AK-47 and MP5 only ever get the grenade launcher and suppressor respectively, and the latter case you never even see that past the cargo ship. The G36 is never seen in any variation except for with a unique red dot scope, while there's a grand total of one P90 in the entire game that has any attachments. G3 and RPD don't even get that. M16A4 you can only use if you let a Marine using one die, even then it's only in two of the four Marine missions and again it only ever comes with the grenade launcher if it's modified at all. I can't recall the AK-74U or Dragunov showing up where the player can grab them except for that table of weapons in the first Marine mission (though keep in mind I haven't touched singleplayer myself in a couple years). Deagle only shows up twice, once in the hands of an NPC you can't grab it from; same for the M60. M14 and M40A3 are completely AWOL.

Comparing this game's multiplayer arsenal to that of Black Ops II, the results are pretty even; that game at best only has one or two more guns per category than this one does. Hell, there's actually more sniper rifles here than in that game.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

There are like six or so weapons in multiplayer that are not in single player or are sufficently different that they are really not the same gun. For example, I've never seen the M60 in single player, nor the M14. At the same time, the G3 and M16 in single player are full auto and in multiplayer the G3 is semi-auto and the M16 is a burst fire. If you look at the later games in the series just about every gun appears in both multiplayer and single player and usually functions the same in both (FAL in Black Ops and MW2 being the exception). I think a great deal of that is due to the formulaziation of weapons in the franchise. If you played Black Ops or MW2 (or their sequels) you'll notice about the same number of guns in each category between games and each gun fills some role or another. For example, there's always a super high fire rate SMG that has good hipfire spread but has really short range and terrible ADS accuracy.

The idea that every gun has a role means that you don't have issues like the G3, M16 and G36C being indistinguishable in singleplayer and so you have a better reason to spread them out through the campaign. That said, despite having a drat formula for gun ddsigns there is always one weapon that becomes the most broken at launch in every CoD. Black Ops had two, the FAMAS and the AK-47u. As is tradition it took weeks and weeks to get actual fixes issued because Treyarch didn't want either gun to lose its "place" in the weapon selection.

Tofu Survivor
Nov 4, 2011

Contrary to popular belief, soy is not an effective zombie deterrent.

Lazyfire posted:

I've never seen the M60 in single player, nor the M14

There's actually one M60 (that I know of) in the entire campaign, and that's at the very last firefight, during the standoff before the credits. One of the attacking Russians has it and he usually runs to take cover on the first car to the left. If you're quick you can snag it before you get shot to death. Interestingly of note, the fire rate is doubled in the campaign as opposed to MP, almost as if it had Double Tap equipped by default.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

MW1 probably could've had a few more gats but the Battlefield 4/recent CoD trend towards having ninety billion different types is stupid. There are only so many niches or roles to fill and eventually they all become samey. I wonder if devs should just make the models purely cosmetic like they've done with the camo skins. Allow players to assign different clearly distinguished roles with appropriate yet also balanced stats/rates of fire/etc etc to the tactical barbie that looks sexiest to them.

A semiauto P90 with 10x scope, 10rd clip, and kills in two shots sounds good to me. :whatup:

DeusExMachinima fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Mar 28, 2016

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

DeusExMachinima posted:

MW1 probably could've had a few more gats but the Battlefield 4/recent CoD trend towards having ninety billion different types is stupid. There are only so many niches or roles to fill and eventually they all become samey. I wonder if devs should just make the models purely cosmetic like they've done with the camo skins. Allow players to assign different clearly distinguished roles with appropriate yet also balanced stats/rates of fire/etc etc to the tactical barbie that looks sexiest to them.

A semiauto P90 with 10x scope, 10rd clip, and kills in two shots sounds good to me. :whatup:

I was on my phone before but let's run down weapon selection in games for a second because I'm already behind on this and want to ignore editing audio for a bit.

CoD weapons are built to hit specific roles. Technically they are all supposed to have various advantages and disadvantages that are more or less the same through each game in the series. There's always the fast firing low damage high recoil rifle. There's always a slow firing high damage LMG and there's always a one shot kill bolt action rifle and so on and so on. What you like using probably largely depends on how you play the game and what the game is designed around. Usually, every gun is viable but there's always a few standouts because the maps tend to be designed towards one end or another. Just because the semi-auto rifle is good in this game doesn't mean the slower firing SMG won't be king next game. Battlefield is a bit different in that the majority of guns are class specific and so you can be like me and never unlock anything past the first sniper rifle while you have all of the LMGs available after the first month of release. Within classes there aren't huge variations on stats, though. For example, all LMGs either do 24 or 30 damage. Same for ARs, and have similar numbers for hip fire and stability and accuracy. It becomes a matter of preference on spray pattern and drop and fire rate more than in CoD where each gun is built so the designers can check off a box that says "balanced guns." That isn't to say BF doesn't have broken weapons or anything, but rather that BF doesn't try to slot each gun into a predetermined position.

If you ever wonder why games give you all these unlockable guns in multiplayer you need to look no further than the next franchise launched by the same people who launched CoD: Titanfall. Titanfall had a notoriously stark weapon list. Really it was a of weapons in each of the traditional CoD weapon categories, the anti titan weapons and a few pistols and that was it. You could unlock all the guns in a few hours, and then a few more hours and you would have all the Titan stuff. The Titanfall developers specifically said they didn't want to make the game a grind fest, and while that's a commendable position considering nearly every FPS with an experience system is a major grind fest, it looks like it was a misread of the market as people had accessed all the weapons and Titan equipment in a week or two and sort of sat around wondering why they were playing if there was nothing else to get. Titanfall is now famous for having a huge amount of hype and actually delivering on it (it was a solid and fun game), but not being able to maintain a following for the long term, which is vital to the success of future games in the franchise.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

Lazyfire posted:

For example, all LMGs either do 24 or 30 damage. Same for ARs, and have similar numbers for hip fire and stability and accuracy. It becomes a matter of preference on spray pattern and drop and fire rate more than in CoD where each gun is built so the designers can check off a box that says "balanced guns." That isn't to say BF doesn't have broken weapons or anything, but rather that BF doesn't try to slot each gun into a predetermined position.

But that does inevitably lead to identical guns or broken guns IMHO. Either one's not better at a specific approach like spray firing from the hip to a specific job like CQB than another, in which case it's a different cosmetic skin for the same thing, or it is better at hipfire CQB than other guns trying to be hipfire CQB guns, in which case why use anything else in that niche? Going to sniper P90s is probably too far but deciding to spawn with the spray'n'pray, huge clip, close-in stat set and assigning it the G36C or MP7 or MTAR-21 skin. Throw a tiger stripe camo skin on top of it if you're feeling crazy. Those can all still be unlockables. And you can still tell what kind of capability you're facing down when you see an opposing player with a G36C, MP7, or MTAR-21.

quote:

If you ever wonder why games give you all these unlockable guns in multiplayer you need to look no further than the next franchise launched by the same people who launched CoD: Titanfall. Titanfall had a notoriously stark weapon list. Really it was a of weapons in each of the traditional CoD weapon categories, the anti titan weapons and a few pistols and that was it. You could unlock all the guns in a few hours, and then a few more hours and you would have all the Titan stuff. The Titanfall developers specifically said they didn't want to make the game a grind fest, and while that's a commendable position considering nearly every FPS with an experience system is a major grind fest, it looks like it was a misread of the market as people had accessed all the weapons and Titan equipment in a week or two and sort of sat around wondering why they were playing if there was nothing else to get. Titanfall is now famous for having a huge amount of hype and actually delivering on it (it was a solid and fun game), but not being able to maintain a following for the long term, which is vital to the success of future games in the franchise.

No debate there and devs probably have no choice but to cater to that particular monster now. It's too bad because Titanfall didn't deserve to be abandoned but people are so used to filling bars now. Back in my day, fragging enemy players was the only reward we needed! :bahgawd:

By the way has the MW Honest trailer been posted yet? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDeo21MQVFo

DeusExMachinima fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Mar 29, 2016

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Titanfall was extremely fun but when you clock four+ hours a night at it, well, burnout city

turns out most of the fanbase was doing that :v:

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat
It irks me that so many FPS's in the past five years had so many guns and attachments and poo poo, but in singleplayer you could only use two preselected weapons (except in, like, BLOPS2).

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

drkeiscool posted:

It irks me that so many FPS's in the past five years had so many guns and attachments and poo poo, but in singleplayer you could only use two preselected weapons (except in, like, BLOPS2).

It's seriously frustrating in a ton of these games that tout the number of weapons that you can't use half of them for part of the game and if you want to use them for the other part of the game you have to dedicate serious hours to the thing, which cheapens the whole experience to me. Then again, in the last two weeks I've had time to play enough games to record episodes for this and nothing else, so time's really the irksome factor here. I think that's why I like CS:GO so much. Within a couple rounds I can buy just about any gun in the game and there's a whole risk/reward determination to make when buying instead of just picking the best weapons and running around with no fear.

Majere
Oct 22, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Just got all nostalgic about the rage messages I would get. For a good 6 months I only used the riot shield, javelin and c4 with scavenger. I could get that bastard up through a skylight and down another on the airport map, through windows and fake scenerery. Delivering sandwiches was an artform as well, especially funny after someone empties their mag into your shield and does the funny jumpy reloading animation trying to escape as you smash them into a wall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

I wish there was just a guy who followed you around in this game yelling "poo poo just got real" in every level when poo poo gets real. Shoot off the big bad's arm? poo poo got real. Get blown up by a nuke, dying soldier whispers "poo poo got real" at you while you fade in and out of consciousness. You see a couple nuclear missiles leaving silos? You better believe some poo poo just got real. If Activision ever decides they want to finance their own space program and remakes the MW games for the current console generation that should be a feature. Few franchises pride themselves on something nuts happening in every single level and while CoD has become a poster child for what happens when you decide to focus on that and not include any subtlety, it is still something of an achievement.

The end chapters in CoD games are almost all like this: they play like a single, long mission even if they are technically segmented into different stages or experiences. Personally, this is another highlight for me as later CoD games decide that every mission should be the length of three to four CoD4 levels put together (Black Ops 3 single player levels go on for forever and a day). When they were making MW, Infinity Ward knew they had about six hours of single player gameplay and decided on shorter levels for a more varied experience. World at War just varied the tasks in each level a bit to make things feel a bit more packed with features and by MW2 Infinity Ward had started to design levels that way as well. Look at Cliffhanger, the first full on level of MW2. You start off climbing a mountain for like two minutes, then hunt people in the snow with the heartbeat sensor, then you have to fight your way out of this mountain base, then you have to rip off that scene from Die Hard 2. Not only did the game announce it's gone full on action movie with that level, it's a level that just goes on and on, so despite the variation you still feel like it's dragging a bit. Sadly, that's the most varied the game gets during a single mission, almost everything else is just shooting men in different locations, occasionally you take the one on the left and Price will get the one on the right and then you move on.

Reminder:

CoD4 Multiplayer Night Information

When:

Saturday, April 2nd. Starting around 8:30 or 9 PM Eastern.

How:

First, Click on this link to make sure you are on the CTS Mumble Server. We'll choose a channel (probably the Artemis one) closer to the start date. Try to have everything set up (and use a push to talk button) before we kick things off so we aren't troubleshooting for you day of.

Second, you kind of sort of need a copy of CoD4. If you want to join the server and shoot the poo poo that's cool, but you'll probably miss out on most of what's happening unless I or someone else decide to live stream. I will be recording my perspective and if you want to do the same feel free. We're doing all this through Steam for the most part, so it may be best to add me there so you can easily find me and join my games. I'm going to maintain a single solid Steam name for this week just for your sake. I'm currently JoJo Stalin's Bizarre Adventure

What

Depending on how many people sign up (I think we're at a solid five with a few people on the fence) we may just jump into other people's games for a bit and just dick around because for some reason CoD4 doesn't support parties on the PC so far as I can tell. If we have quite a few people there is the option to run your own games so we can get some Goon on Goon violence going. Most likely we're all just going to gently caress around for a little while in a decade old game. It should be pretty fun.

• Locked thread