Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!
Don't feel pity for the goblin man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

is that good
Apr 14, 2012
I don't think he's getting paid for running that blog or anything so there's the whole thing where he's just super pumped to interact with people that like magic but also there's the whole thing where he could just stop if he wanted or could think through his answers for like a couple of minutes longer and maybe proofread

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Allstone posted:

I don't think he's getting paid for running that blog or anything so there's the whole thing where he's just super pumped to interact with people that like magic but also there's the whole thing where he could just stop if he wanted or could think through his answers for like a couple of minutes longer and maybe proofread

Or he could just not acknowledge/respond to stuff he doesn't like/agree with. :shrug:

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

hey guys did they spoil the vanilla mythic

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Yes, but in development.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

rabidsquid posted:

hey guys did they spoil the vanilla mythic

its you

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Cernunnos posted:

Or he could just not acknowledge/respond to stuff he doesn't like/agree with. :shrug:

or the company he represents could be good at storytelling

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
I don't know why people keep expecting the story for this silly cardgame to be like War & Peace quality, its fine as is.

Also, echoing everyone else for the thousandth time: the art for this set owns.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

i am not vanilla and this wasn't a helpful answer!!

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON

Rimusutera posted:

So apparently Maro has responded to the reaction to his blogatog comment. I actually sympathize to be honest.

When referring to "the Gatewatch," please refer to them by their full, proper name, GNU/Gatewatch

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Sharzak posted:

People keep saying this and it's dumb. Clues are useless if you don't use them. Encouraging people to investigate and not actually use the tokens would be retarded, which I guess is why everyone is convinced it's going to happen

Evidence: if ~ was investigated you may play this card without playing it's mana cost

Mise
Oct 6, 2010
I'm probably 20 pages late to the party but with all the talk about Marit Lage beeing possibly responsible for the madness on Innistrad, did anyone else see that card and think of her/it beeing hidden in the wave?

And Clue.dec does really look sweet. Gonna try to draft a ton of this. (and fail miserably)

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

Both sides of this seem excellent.

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

GoutPatrol posted:

There's no graveyard hate at all in this set.
um did you miss this powerhouse

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Warwilf

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Sharzak posted:

People keep saying this and it's dumb. Clues are useless if you don't use them. Encouraging people to investigate and not actually use the tokens would be retarded, which I guess is why everyone is convinced it's going to happen

"Whenever you sacrifice a Clue, put a mystery counter on ~.
At the beginning of your upkeep, if ~ has 6 or more mystery counters on it, you win the game."

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Count Bleck posted:

"Whenever you sacrifice a Clue, put a mystery counter on ~.
At the beginning of your upkeep, if ~ has 6 or more mystery counters on it, you win the game."

Should be five mysteries for the Mystery Machine.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Fleeting Memories and Sphinx's Tutelage are kindof a clue based win condition.

e: Fleeting Memories will go great in my Shape Anew deck, AKA the new Splinter Twin

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Star Man posted:

You right.

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Fleeting Memories and Sphinx's Tutelage are kindof a clue based win condition.

e: Fleeting Memories will go great in my Shape Anew deck, AKA the new Splinter Twin

What? How does this win exactly?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Shape Anew for Blightsteel. To be clear it's not actually good.

e: there are also some artifact token makers you could use for the combo already.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
So other than reflector mage, are there going to be any targets worth making a flicker deck around using eerie interlude and essence flux?

Avacyn is another, I guess.

Edit: whirler rouge, harbinger of the tides, knight of the white orchard, reflector mage, maybe Ghost anafenza? Add Avacyn and 4x of both flicker cards, might be a deck

Fingers McLongDong fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Mar 26, 2016

Abhorrence
Feb 5, 2010

A love that crushes like a mace.

Star Man posted:

The Mystery Machine could, in theory, work as 6.

Scrappy Doo.

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe
after seeing the set, I'm more convinced than before that Eldritch Moon will have Emrakul in it. the tentacles everywhere, Nahiri being the "harbinger", and things like the flavour text/art of Warped Landscape all point to that imo

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

Count Bleck posted:

What? How does this win exactly?

Fill the deck with stuff that gives you Investigate, have that and the Tutelage out and more or less you're just plowing through their deck with reckless abandon as long as something isn't able to pound your face. Throw out Startled Awake to mill for 13 and with a little luck you can clear out someone's deck in no time.

I mean it probably won't WIN win, but it'll make a few games interesting. I think the key will be getting some extra mana producers going and having at least a few chump blockers to hold off any creatures that get out early and enough counters to stop them later. You're gonna have lots of cards if you get your draw conditions right so fill the deck with some cheap creatures and maybe it works.

Mise
Oct 6, 2010

Lancelot posted:

after seeing the set, I'm more convinced than before that Eldritch Moon will have Emrakul in it. the tentacles everywhere, Nahiri being the "harbinger", and things like the flavour text/art of Warped Landscape all point to that imo

Mise posted:

I'm probably 20 pages late to the party but with all the talk about Marit Lage beeing possibly responsible for the madness on Innistrad, did anyone else see that card and think of her/it beeing hidden in the wave?

And Clue.dec does really look sweet. Gonna try to draft a ton of this. (and fail miserably)

I'm not so sure, the tentacles don't really look like Emrakul. Do we have any other creature that would explain the thing in Engulf the Shore's art?

Also:

Mtg Salvation posted:

Marit Lage might be seen as a precursor to the Eldrazi creatures from Zendikar. She is a Lovecraftian inspired cosmic horror, with a Kraken-like shape reminiscent of the tentacled-being associated with the Cthulhu mythos, who ends up slumbering in a large body of water while human worshipers waits for her return.

Would fit the theme of the set quite nicely, I think.

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe
I think it's just a generic thing-from-the-deep. Why would Nahiri bring Marit Lage to Innistrad when bringing an Eldrazi there fits (a) because it mirrors Sorin trapping the titans on Zendikar, Nahiri's home plane, and (b) it fits with Nahiri's past encounters and experience with the hedrons. Why would hedron-looking cryptoliths summon Marit Lage?

Wurzag
Jun 3, 2007

Bad Moons, Bad Moons, wot ya gonna do?

Maybe marit lage is an eldrazi titan, just because ugin thinks there's only 3 doesn't mean there couldn't be more.

What will probably happen though is nahiri will try and attract emrakul to innistrad but be ultimately thwarted in eldritch moon.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Emrakul drowns in water despite being a giant jellyfish.

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe
I think Emrakul is already on the moon, that's what's causing the mouth hands and tentacle faces

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Lancelot posted:

I think Emrakul is already on the moon, that's what's causing the mouth hands and tentacle faces

I think Emrakul is the moon, and it's going to go full Unicron once some weird condition gets met.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Wurzag posted:

Maybe marit lage is an eldrazi titan, just because ugin thinks there's only 3 doesn't mean there couldn't be more.

What will probably happen though is nahiri will try and attract emrakul to innistrad but be ultimately thwarted in eldritch moon.

i think marit lage used to be a planeswalker? she has some kind of story thing going on with her but gently caress if i know it's before i ever started playing

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that

TheKingofSprings posted:

I think Emrakul is the moon, and it's going to go full Unicron once some weird condition gets met.

I think the moon is an Emrakul egg, and it's hatching.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

mandatory lesbian posted:

i think marit lage used to be a planeswalker? she has some kind of story thing going on with her but gently caress if i know it's before i ever started playing

She wasn't a planeswalker but she could still move between them afaik.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

There's no way it's not Emrakul.

1. Nahiri bringing an Eldrazi to Sorin's home plane in order to take revenge makes thematic sense.
2. Emrakul is associated with madness, corruption, etc.
3. The overt inclusion of tentacles, extra eyes, and other Eldrazi-like abberations.
4. In the first Zendikar block Emeria was the angel goddess that was eventually revealed to be a false representation of Emrakul from distant memory. Who is getting corrupted on Innistrad? Angels.

As much as I would like to see WOTC pull something cool with a throwback to Marit Lage, it's probably beyond their capability story-wise. I mean, just look at the Jacetice league. It just makes sense to use Eldritch Moon to close out the Eldrazi/Zendikar related stuff, Sorin or Nahiri will probably get killed off (or both), and the next sets will either be something new or a storyline that starts to bring New Phyrexia back to the forefront as the "Big Threat".

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
i would rather Nahiri stick around she's cooler then Sorin

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

New Phyrexians, you say?

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
There's rather a lot of combat tricks this time around.

Red has +1/+1 double strike, +2/+1 trample, +3/+0 flash first strike aura, as well as a +2/+2 aura and a "your attackers have first strike" enchantment that you could use as combat tricks via madness.

White has a team +1/+1 lifelink/untap, a +2/+2 and a +1/+0 indestructible.

Black has +3/+1 lifelink.

Green has +2/+2 reach, instant +1/+1 counters and +clue/+clue.

That's 10-12 combat tricks depending on if you're counting the madness enchantments and I probably didn't even get them all. Combat math is going to be extremely fake.

HMS Boromir fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Mar 26, 2016

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

So the new Exemplar wave is Shardless Agent, Temporal Manipulation, Force of Will and Command Beacon

and I got 2 of each :pervert::pervert:

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

So the new Exemplar wave is Shardless Agent, Temporal Manipulation, Force of Will and Command Beacon

and I got 2 of each :pervert::pervert:

Oh drat I just got my e-mail today! And talking to a friend about it, I was like "I don't expect FoW, but good stuff is good stuff". Not sure if I'll get two tho.

I presume it's the Judge art one, not either of the Nielsen ones?

VV: Still a FoW, doesn't make my Hanna less lovely. And I have two nominations so that's double plus good. Thanks a lot for the info! :)

Serperoth fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Mar 26, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Serperoth posted:

Oh drat I just got my e-mail today! And talking to a friend about it, I was like "I don't expect FoW, but good stuff is good stuff". Not sure if I'll get two tho.

I presume it's the Judge art one, not either of the Nielsen ones?

Judge art. And you should get 1 per exemplar rec.

• Locked thread