Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
lightweight desktops are also dumb as poo poo for a user like you, atomicthumbs.

you don't know what you're doing, but all of the slickly integrated poo poo you find in kde and gnome will be missing. so there won't be a network configuration ui. or a printer configuration ui. (or, if these things are present, they will be broken.)

you have set yourself up for failure:
- unsupportable hardware
- dumbass "lightweight" desktop with none of the features you require
- installing from the "netinstall" without a network available

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker

Get a router that can do that web-based authentication crap for you. That sounds horrible.

Also, don't get drivers from AMDs webpage unless that's what the Fedora wiki or whatever tells you to do.

I've managed to set up a Linux system with four NVIDIA GPUs and one AMD GPU (oh god), and it works. The AMD GPU is even the stablest one of the bunch, I think.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
use nmcli (and don't use amd, like nbsd said)

also if you want to set up some weird special snowflake environment then don't complain when you actually have to do some legwork to set it up instead of using the ootb defaults. you could have used gnome 3 just fine, and it has a gui for connecting to wifi networks but you're a big baby who doesn't like gnome and wants to use some ~*minimal*~ shitdesktop instead. you then installed a server configuration to your laptop and then got upset that servers generally don't need to do wifi out of the box.

it is, in fact, you, and not linux, which is bad in this scenario

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
now we enter stage three of the linux desktop complaints, where atomicthumbs is mad that his bad decisions resulted in failure

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:

atomicthumbs posted:

believe me I tried Arch for a little while once on a testing laptop for interfacing with old computer poo poo and I loving know

(that's the main reason I installed LXQt)
nmcli as mr dog said, or you could use wicd, although im not sure if thats still developed

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

lightweight desktops are also dumb as poo poo for a user like you, atomicthumbs.

you don't know what you're doing, but all of the slickly integrated poo poo you find in kde and gnome will be missing. so there won't be a network configuration ui. or a printer configuration ui. (or, if these things are present, they will be broken.)

you have set yourself up for failure:
- unsupportable hardware
- dumbass "lightweight" desktop with none of the features you require
- installing from the "netinstall" without a network available

Not quite sure where you're coming from other than failing to read my posts (which is entirely understandable, considering my posting). I've been maintaining a VPS for quite a few years and have been using Linux without a desktop environment longer than I ever did with it. The only reason I installed one at all is to have an easier time setting up the WiFi, and to be able to use Chrome instead of using my laptop to browse the web or using w3m. also copying and pasting between terminal emulators is pretty nice too.

tl;dr:
  • that one is entirely on me and I'm wishing I had gone for one of those $80 xeon phis when they went on sale. I do have an older Nvidia card here and am considering installing it just for Linux if AMD continues to be a pain
  • the only reason I installed a DE at all is so I can set up WiFi, use a web browser, and use a tabbed terminal emulator
  • I explicitly said I used the non-netinstall image which is two gigabytes compared to the netinstall's 450-something mb

now I'm mad about linuxes. Look what you've done

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

I am finding it really puzzling how y'all are contorting yourselves into defending an offline install process that doesn't work offline because of a bug.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Why didn't you use Cent for a server?

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

seriously if not for the installation thing I'd be posting here complaining about AMD drivers. I'm happy with fedora except for the installation bug.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Delete what you installed, start again, install GNOME. Use GNOME Shell's menus to connect to your wifi. Use Firefox or whatever web browser it comes with to interact with your captive portal.

OpenCL on AMD is going to be a universe of pain. Your desktop environment is using an open source OpenGL implementation, which talks to an open source kernel driver. It's a bit slow, but it at least manages to work. But the open source OpenCL support is rudimentary at best.

If you want to use AMD's proprietary OpenCL then you'll need to install Catalyst. Catalyst comes with OpenGL, OpenCL, and a different kernel driver. Which means your desktop environment has to use AMD's proprietary OpenGL and it is absolutely awful and will crash constantly.

AMD's gone some way to cleaning up this shitpile with a new software project called "amdgpu" that attempts to unify the open-source and proprietary drivers, but it's very new at the moment.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

ratbert90 posted:

Why didn't you use Cent for a server?

because it's not a server and I enjoy having newish packages. CentOS is going on my VPS when I upgrade it though.

Mr Dog posted:

Delete what you installed, start again, install GNOME. Use GNOME Shell's menus to connect to your wifi. Use Firefox or whatever web browser it comes with to interact with your captive portal.

why the gently caress would I do that, LXQt already works fine and I already used it for that

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

atomicthumbs posted:

now I'm mad about linuxes. Look what you've done
lol

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

quote:

me: "haha this installation process has an obnoxious bug, but I managed to get past it in a funny way, linux amirite guys?"

linux throd: "it doesn't work that way on MY machine, what the gently caress are you doing, why are you using [thing I'm not using], if you can't figure out how to use [thing I already know how to use] you're an idiot just uninstall it and install [other thing that I don't need], all your problems [only one problem] are your fault for using [thing I was told would be good to use and which, in fact, works quite well barring one minor already-fixed problem]"

:psypop:

atomicthumbs fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Mar 26, 2016

Berkshire Hunts
Nov 5, 2009
check your repo files in /etc/yum.repos.d/ (I think they're still there post-dnf) because if the remote repos are configured in there it will barf when you try to install stuff.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

this is also me when i try linux

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
im going to install windows server core and try to install ms office on it and maybe also try to connect to wifi using the gui

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

this would have saved you a bunch of time https://spins.fedoraproject.org/lxde/

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

i didn't read your posting that thoroughly but if you used the anaconda utility at any point in the process, know that it has a history of being broken and bad, although it has improved in recent years. also you could have probably created a local repository from the packages on drive then synced afterwards

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

well you did (sort of) ask for help with a linux problem, what do you expect, linux users are obligated to flame anyone having problems using linux

it's who they are, it's what they do

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
i'm not defending any of it

just know that i tried my best to fix it while i was at red hat. there are a lot of people who hate the idea if making linux actually usable, since they couldn't feel elite when using it then

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
the anaconda team was also really frustrating to work with because they didn't care about making anything work out of the box, they just wanted to push all hard problems to a set of checkboxes the user had to click for their system to work

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

i'm not sure whether i'd blame anaconda or dnf but now that i'm thinking about it, but when it was giving me categories like "editors" and "administration utilities" it was just giving me the option to install an entire package category's worth of packages at once during the installation, wasn't it.

atomicthumbs fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Mar 26, 2016

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
yes

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

i'm the expectation that the yospos desktop linux thread will contain good posters with helpful things to say

e: apart from suspicious dish i guess

Soricidus fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Mar 26, 2016

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

:cripes:

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
dude, i tried my best. you had no idea how many times we had to explain to them basic concepts like "the user shouldn't be expected to choose between xfs, btrfs, and ext4, especially without any prompt explaining what each one was" or "the user is not expected to know what the gently caress a joilet media type is"

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

atomicthumbs posted:

ok i can see That Thing is happening where a linux user, angry because linux isn't working correctly, inspires anger in a linux defender, angry because the user must be doing something wrong.

I decided to shrink my Windows partition on my desktop computer by 15gb and install Linux. I need the Linux to do two things:
  • Support OpenCL on my AMD GPU so that I can run Torch and associated machine learning software that uses it.
  • Reverse SSH into my VPS so I can also use said software while I'm not sitting in front of it.

I use reverse SSH, in this case, because I live in a dorm and use the dorm wifi. I have no wired network option (and believe me I'd loving like one).

I've used Debian and various derivatives since the mid-2000s, but I've read about people using Fedora lately (especially in this thread). I asked what I should use and people said Fedora.

I downloaded the Fedora Workstation image and booted it. It worked well, but offered no ability to select how I wanted to install it, and I'm not a big fan of GNOME (and didn't recognize it as such; I haven't used a desktop computer with linux since Kubuntu with KDE3, which worked great when I had a Pentium 3 laptop with 64mb of ram) and didn't really need a desktop environment anyway, so I downloaded the Fedora Server image.

The dorm wifi needs a username and password put in to authorize its users, because it's stupid. It redirects the first web page loaded so the only way to get internet access is to use a web browser.

"Hmm, that'll be fine, I'm installing from local media anyway," I thought.

Except no matter how I instructed the installer to install it (I tried with various permutations of "minimal install" and "Fedora Server"), I ended up with a system with no packages installed, and DNF spat out an error whenever I tried to use it about not being able to synchronize the package cache with the Fedora repo. The packages were there on the drive, but DNF refused to install them from the files, too, because it didn't have internet access to synchronize with the repo.

Eventually I managed to get it working by connecting to the wifi through my phone. I realized that it would be a bit of a pain in the rear end to try to cope with this poo poo without a desktop environment, so I used the newly expanded and internet-connected list to install it with LXQt.

It worked fine until I tried to install the Linux drivers for my video card from AMD's website, following their instructions, and after a reboot it no longer boots in normal or recovery mode, so the point is moot.

i'm thinking of installing debian

tldr bitch

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

"hmm, i want my computer to be able to do anything."

runs sudo apt-get install *

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
im installing fedora on my desktop at home, and i hope to be able to get in a couple DOTA games before tonight.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Smythe posted:

im installing fedora on my desktop at home, and i hope to be able to get in a couple DOTA games before tonight.

godspeed, smythe

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Smythe posted:

good luck, make sure it's connected to the internet!

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

atomicthumbs posted:

good luck, make sure it's connected to the internet!

My gaming rig has Ethernet so I don't anticipate it being a problem

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Suspicious Dish posted:

i'm not defending any of it

just know that i tried my best to fix it while i was at red hat. there are a lot of people who hate the idea if making linux actually usable, since they couldn't feel elite when using it then

:psyduck: 2016 year of linux on the desktop of two dozen neckbearded nerds everyone

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
well, i tried to install the nvidia proprietary drivers and it hosed my poor compy. reinstalled and im taking it from the top with the defailt nouveau drivers. lets see how these babies handle DOTA

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
oops. tried to DL dota while i was streaming some epic twitch. thats a fail. GABEN needs all my fatty bandwitches to feed his big fat belly :-)

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Install nvidia from the RPM fusion repos and be happy friend.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

jfc

why

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
maybe it will make sense when i say that "fedora is an operating system that you can install" was an extremely controversial statement inside the fedora community and red hat

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

ratbert90 posted:

Install nvidia from the RPM fusion repos and be happy friend.

thanks.

update: fedora is working. for some reason my chrome extenasions are hosed up. google cast was uninstalled for some reason (always log into my google account) and also SA Needful isn't working.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Suspicious Dish posted:

maybe it will make sense when i say that "fedora is an operating system that you can install" was an extremely controversial statement inside the fedora community and red hat

1) No GNU 2) No Linux 3) Distribution? 4) Which

Deservedly so!