Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ep2I3Gf3Sec

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EKDS5k
Feb 22, 2012

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU LET YOUR BEER FREEZE, DAMNIT

VectorSigma posted:

that sucker ain't goin nowhere

The manual says the boom itself weighs 23 000lbs, so actually the base only weighs 37 000lbs, with a 15' wheelbase. Still not going anywhere.

Messadiah posted:

I've used the JLG 1250sjp, and holy hell the sway of the machine itself and the wind was pretty drat hard to get over to do my work. 185' seems ridiculous.

dog buttz posted:

There's no loving way the wind isn't rocking that thing back and forth. Imagine falling onto the arm and just wrapping your limbs around the arm, hoping to god somebody is paying attention and can lower it.

The highest I've been up is in the 1500SJ (so 150'), and I will tell you that that thing sways like a motherfucker, even on calm days. It's hard to tell how much when you're that high up, I don't actually use them to work on things, just test them in open space, so I have nothing to reference. But judging by how far I've seen my shadow move on the ground, I'd say at least 10 feet side to side.

Also you'd better be able to hold on for a long time because they take like 5 minutes to come all the way down.

But you're less likely to fall out than you are to be catapulted out because you drove it over a bump like an idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcJQOWLxjFc
Imagine that but with a 180 foot arm instead of a 20 foot one.

calvus posted:

Looks like it should be tipping over

Hot Karl Marx posted:

this is why i am perfectly fine working on the ground/underground cause gently caress heights

If you think it's scary just looking down, now imagine that you can drive and steer these machines while they're fully extended, and even with the boom swung out over the side. Top speed of about 0.5 kph.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Decrepus posted:

This movie resulted in me having severely underdeveloped balls. Oh, and also a fear of spiders.

Spiders are our friends and are happy to ignore you if you don't try to murder them

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

dog buttz posted:

There's no loving way the wind isn't rocking that thing back and forth. Imagine falling onto the arm and just wrapping your limbs around the arm, hoping to god somebody is paying attention and can lower it.

EKDS5k posted:

If you think it's scary just looking down, now imagine that you can drive and steer these machines while they're fully extended, and even with the boom swung out over the side. Top speed of about 0.5 kph.

Sometimes I really and truly hate having a very vivid imagination

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

EKDS5k posted:

I don't think anyone is moving those base's with the boom out over 100'

you would probably be launched out of the basket once you start moving if youre out that far

i could see moving around when the boom is out, but not fully extended, it would be a lot more rigid that way

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

JFairfax posted:

While trying to make an exciting shooting video, a Georgia man packed a lawn mower with Tannerite. He inadvertently used too much of the explosive and when he fired on the lawnmower, the explosion was so powerful, it blew-off his left leg below the knee.

http://water-and-woods.com/2016/03/man-blows-his-leg-off-shooting-at-lawn-mower-filled-with-high-explosives/

My local news had a video clip where the sheriff from the area where that happened went out of his way to reassure people that he supports 2nd amendment rights before suggesting that people not do what that guy did to get his leg blown off. This loving country...

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

FIRST TIME posted:

My local news had a video clip where the sheriff from the area where that happened went out of his way to reassure people that he supports 2nd amendment rights before suggesting that people not do what that guy did to get his leg blown off. This loving country...

The right to bear arms and shed legs

Un-l337-Pork
Sep 9, 2001

Oooh yeah...

FIRST TIME posted:

From my cold dead prosthetic

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

I might as well link the clip so people can laugh along with me at this dumb situation.

http://www.statesmanjournal.com/story/news/nation-now/2016/03/24/man-loses-leg-shooting-lawnmower-full-explosives/82232440/

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
It still blows my mind that tannerite is a legal substance to buy. Then again it blows my mind that someone is stupid enough to fill a metal object (complete with blades designed to cut things) with it and shoot it from anything other than a benchrest distance.

Guns + metal is already dangerous, adding explosives to the mix is asking for trouble.

hunkrust
Sep 29, 2014
I got an MA in asking leading questions about how sexism isnt real, and regularly fail to grasp that other people have different experience than me or enjoy different things.
I also own multiple fedoras, to go with my leather dusters, and racist pin badges.

Blistex posted:

It still blows my mind that tannerite is a legal substance to buy. Then again it blows my mind that someone is stupid enough to fill a metal object (complete with blades designed to cut things) with it and shoot it from anything other than a benchrest distance.

Guns + metal is already dangerous, adding explosives to the mix is asking for trouble.

You would think he would be smart enough to get further away and get behind some sort of barrier

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Blistex posted:

Since it's a binary compound there isn't much The Man can do to restrict the sale of the two otherwise benign ingredients. Not without congressional action at least and :lol: good luck.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Improbable Lobster posted:

Spiders are our friends and are happy to ignore you if you don't try to murder them

*not valid in Australia

simplyhorribul
Jul 30, 2013
A type of OSHA question; we had some labs at school about gamma radiation and I found out the piece of safety procedures of neutron source, which really made me squirm. However I tried to google about that later and couldn't find any non-jargon explonation why so hefty procedures. Obviously I understand not to arse with any poo poo that has some form of radiation, but they included looking at the neutron source with mirror instead of straight due the radiation. Why are the eyes such vulnerable organs for it? I mean there wasn't absolutely no other special safety procedures for the neutron sources except this.

(Somehow I assume the casing for the source is build so that it emits most of the things you would get bombarded on your body sans the eyes of course. Or we have lovely labs at school. :v: )

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Arrath posted:

Since it's a binary compound there isn't much The Man can do to restrict the sale of the two otherwise benign ingredients. Not without congressional action at least and :lol: good luck.

Yeah, it's a rabbit hole that runs pretty deep. It would probably be easier to have combining the compounds being an illegal act rather than trying to band the two ingredients.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

simplyhorribul posted:

A type of OSHA question; we had some labs at school about gamma radiation and I found out the piece of safety procedures of neutron source, which really made me squirm. However I tried to google about that later and couldn't find any non-jargon explonation why so hefty procedures. Obviously I understand not to arse with any poo poo that has some form of radiation, but they included looking at the neutron source with mirror instead of straight due the radiation. Why are the eyes such vulnerable organs for it? I mean there wasn't absolutely no other special safety procedures for the neutron sources except this.

(Somehow I assume the casing for the source is build so that it emits most of the things you would get bombarded on your body sans the eyes of course. Or we have lovely labs at school. :v: )

Neutron radiation is the one that can actually make things radioactive, so it's good not to expose your body to it.
The reason for using a mirror must be that what ever is used as a window isn't as good as the rest of the shielding. It's not that your eyes are especially sensitive to neutrons, but that they would be exposed the most when looking directly at it.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.

Arrath posted:

Some friends and I bought the ingredients for thermite online and melted an old barbeque.

Take that, government. :argh:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

simplyhorribul posted:

I don’t think that it’s about your eyes, specifically.

If you’re looking at the source through a mirror, your entire body is out of the radiation’s path. Your eyes are safe, and so is the rest of your face and anything else the ray grazes. You can only bit hit by particles that the mirror reflects, which isn’t much.

It’s like the basilisk from Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Platystemon posted:

I don’t think that it’s about your eyes, specifically.

If you’re looking at the source through a mirror, your entire body is out of the radiation’s path. Your eyes are safe, and so is the rest of your face and anything else the ray grazes. You can only bit hit by particles that the mirror reflects, which isn’t much.

It’s like the basilisk from Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets.

Did you just suggest the idea of a basilisk originated in a Harry Potter book?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

satanic splash-back posted:

No I think he's using it as a popular example

hunkrust
Sep 29, 2014
I got an MA in asking leading questions about how sexism isnt real, and regularly fail to grasp that other people have different experience than me or enjoy different things.
I also own multiple fedoras, to go with my leather dusters, and racist pin badges.

Either way not everyone is a classical mythology nerd

MG2
Jan 30, 2016

by LadyAmbien
Mosquitos work like vampires, a creature that feeds on blood created by Stephanie Meyer in the twilight books.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

No, but in that book there was a point about looking at the basilisk through a mirror being less dangerous than looking at one directly, which was the entire point of my analogy.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Even that isn't new, that's how Perseus defeated the Gorgons.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
OSHA mandates mirror shields when dealing with Gorgons.

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Fluffy cat sensory experience

I was working in this very radome (giant ball on top) and almost killed myself and two coworkers, theoretically speaking.

The giant 6-meter satellite dish inside rotates on a 4-foot wide pedestal about 5 feet high. There is a cable tray with all the power and data stuff in it. This tray wraps around the circumference at the top of this big pedestal.

We wanted to pull the tray off, and noticed it was held on by a ring of maybe 30 bolts. I had assembled these things a bunch of times, but forgot that this ring of bolts not only held the tray on but also connected the antenna to the pedestal.

We managed to get all the bolts out and soon realized the tray wouldn't come off. Cue panicked looks and a realization that the only reason we weren't dying was that the antenna dish is counterweighted by several thousand pounds of lead weights. Bolts were hastily reinstalled and we lived to get wasted down in the mountain town later that night.

The beginning of this trip also had a perilous event involving frozen ice. The giant superstructure that supports the big radome and other poo poo was encased in ice because of the mountain climate. My coworker started climbing the stairs in the scaffolding and suddenly it was raining death as the vibration simultaneously freed all of the ice clinging to the structure. No one's head was split open fortunately.

Retrospectively, this was probably the best job I've ever had in terms in crazy travel and drinking fun time. Right out of college, as well!

French Canadian fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Mar 26, 2016

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

simplyhorribul posted:

It's not just the eyes, the neutrons won't be good for any part of your body. The light elements in your body (especially hydrogen, which is present in both organic compounds and water, and that's just about all of you) will slow down the neutrons as they pass through you which deposits energy and creates gamma rays and knocks out protons and electrons into places where they shouldn't be, like inside your cells which can kill them or damage DNA. Viewing a neutron experiment indirectly, with a mirror or through a camera, means that if done right you can see it while keeping enough shielding between the source and you.

Edit: Radiation can scatter off of things and reach you indirectly, but neutrons won't really reflect off of glass and metal and hopefully the rest of the facility is designed with that in mind, too. Also, the scattering of radiation off of elements in the atmosphere (skyshine) is why you can't cheap out on shielding by working outdoors and just building walls with no roofs

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Mar 26, 2016

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

dog buttz posted:

you can see in the picture that dudes wearing a fall arrest harness and is tied off, and i would bet he has a radio and a man on the ground whos entire job is to watch him anyway. I've been up like 200 feet in a manbasket on a crane and i can tell you that they shake a whole lot if you take two steps so that thing would be bouncy as gently caress.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

French Canadian posted:

I was working in this very radome (giant ball on top) and almost killed myself and two coworkers, theoretically speaking.

The giant 6-meter satellite dish inside rotates on a 4-foot wide pedestal about 5 feet high. There is a cable tray with all the power and data stuff in it. This tray wraps around the circumference at the top of this big pedestal.

We wanted to pull the tray off, and noticed it was held on by a ring of maybe 30 bolts. I had assembled these things a bunch of times, but forgot that this ring of bolts not only held the tray on but also connected the antenna to the pedestal.

We managed to get all the bolts out and soon realized the tray wouldn't come off. Cue panicked looks and a realization that the only reason we weren't dying was that the antenna dish is counterweighted by several thousand pounds of lead weights. Bolts were hastily reinstalled and we lived to get wasted down in the mountain town later that night.

The beginning of this trip also had a perilous event involving frozen ice. The giant superstructure that supports the big radome and other poo poo was encased in ice because of the mountain climate. My coworker started climbing the stairs in the scaffolding and suddenly it was raining death as the vibration simultaneously freed all of the ice clinging to the structure. No one's head was split open fortunately.

Retrospectively, this was probably the best job I've ever had in terms in crazy travel and drinking fun time. Right out of college, as well!

That one dish looks like it's about to hatch :3:

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I'm okay with cheeks doing that, it's when they blow so hard that it also inflates their neck that I get freaked out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvIXzeDLpMw&t=125s

Any brass or woodwind player will tell you that this is Wrong. That's why there's only one famous rear end in a top hat that does it. It makes the embouchure hard to control. Embouchure is the rear end in a top hat that your lips make to create a noise from certain noise making devices.

It is 'against regulation' and therefore OSHA related.

EKDS5k
Feb 22, 2012

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU LET YOUR BEER FREEZE, DAMNIT

Hot Karl Marx posted:

I don't think anyone is moving those base's with the boom out over 100'

you would probably be launched out of the basket once you start moving if youre out that far

i could see moving around when the boom is out, but not fully extended, it would be a lot more rigid that way

My job is to fix these things and then test them. We have one 150' boom, and over a dozen 120-135' lifts. I go all the way up in one at least once every other day. All of them will drive (again, slowly) with the boom fully raised and extended, and even swung out over the side. That's kind of the point of using them.

Larch
Dec 20, 2004

BEE LOVER

DiHK posted:

Any brass or woodwind player will tell you that this is Wrong. That's why there's only one famous rear end in a top hat that does it. It makes the embouchure hard to control. Embouchure is the rear end in a top hat that your lips make to create a noise from certain noise making devices.

It is 'against regulation' and therefore OSHA related.

I assume it's Diz in the video. He was hardly an rear end in a top hat. His hosed up face did not result from ignorance or laziness, nor was it a gimmick. Rather his control of those muscles deteriorated over time as a result of long hours of playing while he invented bebop.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

jsoh posted:

you can see in the picture that dudes wearing a fall arrest harness and is tied off, and i would bet he has a radio and a man on the ground whos entire job is to watch him anyway. I've been up like 200 feet in a manbasket on a crane and i can tell you that they shake a whole lot if you take two steps so that thing would be bouncy as gently caress.

I think I'd rather have a parachute than a harness at that height.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Larch posted:

I assume it's Diz in the video. He was hardly an rear end in a top hat. His hosed up face did not result from ignorance or laziness, nor was it a gimmick. Rather his control of those muscles deteriorated over time as a result of long hours of playing while he invented bebop.

He looks pretty young in that pic, so I'm not buying your cheek story. And it's not that he's an rear end in a top hat in particular, he's just that one particular rear end in a top hat that did that one thing.

Bebop is alright but I am so loving tired of jazz. gently caress off jazz people, your the original hipsters. Your just like modern art: anybody can do it but they didn't do it first.

DiHK fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Mar 27, 2016

Humphreys
Jan 26, 2013

We conceived a way to use my mother as a porn mule

EKDS5k posted:

About 5-6 years ago I was tasked with being on top of a Dragline boom and take photos of things for PR stuff. I was offered a chance to use a JLG but I just said "no chance in hell I am being lifted in a bucket that high". So I decided the best thing to do was get harnessed up, get all my camera equipment strapped securely to me and make the walk up the boom.

This is a tiny one - not the one I walked up but you get the idea on scale:

(I actually have been on that one too, just the house not up the boom).

Anyway so the walk up I thought would be easy, it's got stairs and hand rails. I can be safe and have 3 points of contact at all times.

Nope, it was the most harrowing climb ever. The stairs were made of expanded metal grating , so while enclosed, I got a great view of how high I was each step. Now having enclosed stairs (no way to put your foot through the steps) might be a fine idea. However the stairs were maybe 7 inches and my feet are 9.5 inches plus boots. Each step was scary as gently caress.

Get to the top and strap in, take my photos through shakey hands hoping they would turn out. Then in my bravado I called the operator on the radio "no worries mate, all done, piece of piss". He replied "Oh yeah - how about I swing the boom for ya?"

Whelp! It was an experience alright.

EDIT: This was in my head the whole time:

Humphreys fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Mar 27, 2016

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Humphreys posted:

About 5-6 years ago I was tasked with being on top of a Dragline boom and take photos of things for PR stuff. I was offered a chance to use a JLG but I just said "no chance in hell I am being lifted in a bucket that high". So I decided the best thing to do was get harnessed up, get all my camera equipment strapped securely to me and make the walk up the boom.

Anyway so the walk up I thought would be easy, it's got stairs and hand rails. I can be safe and have 3 points of contact at all times.

Nope, it was the most harrowing climb ever. The stairs were made of expanded metal grating , so while enclosed, I got a great view of how high I was each step. Now having enclosed stairs (no way to put your foot through the steps) might be a fine idea. However the stairs were maybe 7 inches and my feet are 9.5 inches plus boots. Each step was scary as gently caress.

Get to the top and strap in, take my photos through shakey hands hoping they would turn out. Then in my bravado I called the operator on the radio "no worries mate, all done, piece of piss". He replied "Oh yeah - how about I swing the boom for ya?"

I had to climb this 280' tower when I was an apprentice. I was loving whipped by the end of climbing and pulling up tools every few decks. I kind of wish there was some sort of netting/protection at the top to stop the possibility of any dropped items :sweatdrop:

Edit: the tall bastard on the front-ish left

Sockington fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Mar 27, 2016

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

EKDS5k posted:

My job is to fix these things and then test them. We have one 150' boom, and over a dozen 120-135' lifts. I go all the way up in one at least once every other day. All of them will drive (again, slowly) with the boom fully raised and extended, and even swung out over the side. That's kind of the point of using them.

Yes I know they will, but have you moved the base with the boom fully extended while in the basket?

edit: and isnt the point of having a 360 degree boom that you put it in the best spot so you can boom to all the reachable spots rather than driving and potentially being launched out/crushed

Hot Karl Marx fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Mar 27, 2016

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Sockington posted:

I had to climb this 280' tower when I was an apprentice. I was loving whipped by the end of climbing and pulling up tools every few decks. I kind of wish there was some sort of netting/protection at the top to stop the possibility of any dropped items :sweatdrop:

Edit: the tall bastard on the front-ish left

Was that a burn-off stack, isomerization unit, or something else?

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Three-Phase posted:

Was that a burn-off stack, isomerization unit, or something else?

Distillation towers.

Edit: they added a slightly taller ethane cracker two years ago.

Sockington fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Mar 27, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

Humphreys posted:

I'd just be thinking of this over and over even getting near one of those things

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OOg7vL3rNY