Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
Watching San Marino 05 again so good, and to think that today such an amazing last 12 laps wouldn't be possible because of lovely DRS...

God F1 is so poo poo these days

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ukle
Nov 28, 2005
In regards to driving games, in the UK Currys are reportedly running a promotion on Monday for the Logitech G29.

Price £99. Significant discount, if its true.

Gmaz
Apr 3, 2011

New DLC for Aoe2 is out: Dynasties of India

El Hefe posted:

Watching San Marino 05 again so good, and to think that today such an amazing last 12 laps wouldn't be possible because of lovely DRS...

2005 was an atrocious season, literally the least amount of overtakes in history of F1. Tyres lasting whole race was a bad idea.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Yeah. 2006 was really really good, though.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

El Hefe posted:

that San Marino is coming up on 10 years since its last GP and we continue to collect lovely tracks in horrible countries thanks to petrobucks tells you all you need to know about the state of F1

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Is it that F1 lost tobacco money and had to fill the void with people like Petronas, car manufacturers and sodding red bull, and a lot of old tracks couldn't afford to keep up with the FIA's ongoing safety program as it would have meant massive redesigns to the track and pits, where as the people in oil rich dusty countries could afford to build tracks from scratch which meet the safety criteria and state subsidise them?

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Bernie considers F1 races to be a business networking opportunity with some pesky motorsport attached. Any old tracks are told their 'facilities aren't up to standards' and to spend money to improve them or he'll take their race elsewhere. Also you're competing with oil barons with bottomless pockets who will pay absurd amounts for the privilege of hosting the privileged, so that's the new market rate for hosting a race, pay up or get lost.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Don't get me wrong I love Brands Hatch and Donnington but they simply are not set up for formula1 now. Even if Bernie said they could have it for free it probably would not be worth it for them, both tracks are doing very nicely without the F1 at the moment and they wouldn't want to shut down for months doing upgrades for just once race a year when regular customers are happy with them the way they are, and might get pissed off if they get neutered by Tilke, the fans that attend certainly would be.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

1500quidporsche posted:

Has Dallara had any real success when they weren't the sole manufacturer of a series?

They own Formula 3, to the extent they're often the sole manufacturer because no-one can live with them.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Look at this whiner (whinger?) whining (whinging?) about F1! A man for the worst thread if ever there was one. Fedoras off to this man.

https://formerf1doc.wordpress.com/2016/03/26/its-not-you-its-me/

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Look at this whiner (whinger?) whining (whinging?) about F1! A man for the worst thread if ever there was one. Fedoras off to this man.

That is quite the rant. Cant help but think he would have been better off just sticking to the really damning stuff about safety if it's his real concern, intersecting it with a rant about quali and complaints about how F1 is run rather ruined the impact.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

learnincurve posted:

That is quite the rant. Cant help but think he would have been better off just sticking to the really damning stuff about safety if it's his real concern, intersecting it with a rant about quali and complaints about how F1 is run rather ruined the impact.

Its a combination of factors though, he was a long term F1 fan before he became the track Doc, so he can see the system is failing in every way, not just in his area of expertise. Its a good rant with all good points, and it does sum up the situation but it is a rant, so it could have been done better; probably when he isn't fuelled by Easter excess.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/

He's 100% right about everything he says

F1 is in shambles and Bernie and Toad are both corrupt old crooks

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I would think the biggest problem F1 has is that hosting a race is a massive financial disaster for literally everyone who does it. This cannot be a sustainable sport. Yet they never even hint at addressing this issue. It's just tires and aero.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

I would think the biggest problem F1 has is that hosting a race is a massive financial disaster for literally everyone who does it. This cannot be a sustainable sport. Yet they never even hint at addressing this issue. It's just tires and aero.

probably because it's been a "financial disaster" for years and yet everyone seems to find ways to make it work. plus it's a comically easy problem to solve: lower the race fees.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Ticket prices go down, tracks can't afford to pay Bernie, Bernie isn't going to stop miking every last penny he can out of this sport until the day his calcified heart stops beating because he knows drat well none of his children are ever going to be able to make money for themselves.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Breaking news: Kamui Kobayashi has a real drive and does not have to resort to Formula E! He's replacing Alexander Wurz at Toyota in the WEC.

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Stroll together, win together

learnincurve posted:

Breaking news: Kamui Kobayashi has a real drive and does not have to resort to Formula E! He's replacing Alexander Wurz at Toyota in the WEC.

I guess he really was the Wurz

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Yeah COTA's deal is stupid and look at how much they lost last year. I wonder what the true numbers are in Korea too, that has to be half a billion in the hole and even more if you count the potential earnings they were expecting.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

learnincurve posted:

Ticket prices go down, tracks can't afford to pay Bernie, Bernie isn't going to stop miking every last penny he can out of this sport until the day his calcified heart stops beating because he knows drat well none of his children are ever going to be able to make money for themselves.

he can't milk every penny out of something that doesn't exist

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

be nice wicka posted:

he can't milk every penny out of something that doesn't exist

You think Bernie actually cares if the sport dies before he does at this point?

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

learnincurve posted:

You think Bernie actually cares if the sport dies before he does at this point?

yes. and so do the rest of the FOM partners. all of them are very good at making money off the sport. making slightly less money is better driving it into nonexistence and making no money at all. this isn't rocket science. there is no danger whatsoever to F1 here. none at all. the sky is not falling. can we please calm down?

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

be nice wicka posted:

yes. and so do the rest of the FOM partners. all of them are very good at making money off the sport. making slightly less money is better driving it into nonexistence and making no money at all. this isn't rocket science. there is no danger whatsoever to F1 here. none at all. the sky is not falling. can we please calm down?

Where's the photo of that Iraqi minister guy when you need it

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

i cannot fathom anything dumber than thinking the folks who have billions of dollars invested in F1 existing are going to make it not exist

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Yeah people never make bad decisions that lead them to lose lots of money and their business to fail

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

El Hefe posted:

Yeah people never make bad decisions that lead them to lose lots of money and their business to fail

people have been to the moon ergo i am going to the moon

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
wicka is the blackberry guy who in 2007 was "everything's cool, no problem here"

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Wicka has never seen that reality show with Bernie's daughters on it. They have the collective intelligence of a spoon.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

learnincurve posted:

Wicka has never seen that reality show with Bernie's daughters on it. They have the collective intelligence of a spoon.

yeah this sounds super relevant to the topic at hand

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

El Hefe posted:

wicka is the blackberry guy who in 2007 was "everything's cool, no problem here"

promoter fees are too expensive, yet people keep building new race tracks
the audience is falling, yet people keep paying more and more for TV rights
budgets are too high, yet new teams are joining, with new sponsors and new partners

explain to me again why F1 is in trouble? because it's on a network that's inconvenient?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

be nice wicka posted:

yeah this sounds super relevant to the topic at hand

Bernie has one weakness and it's his daughters. He's not bleeding this sport dry so that he can go sit on top of a mound of jewels in a cave, he's doing it so that they and his grand kids will be OK when he dies, and does not give on iota of a gently caress if it's at the expense of the sport or not.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

christ, no. you are not going to sit here and suggest that bernie is going to force F1 out of business solely to benefit his daughters. this thread is the worst but it isn't THAT worst. that's pure loving insanity.

bernie is the CEO of FOM but he's no longer the sole owner. CVC doesn't give a gently caress about his daughters. not that your insane suggestion even requires a rebuttal.

wicka fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Mar 26, 2016

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
absurdly rich people have a very disconnected view of reality and wicka has this same point of view so the question stands wicka are you Bernie or Todt

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

"disconnected view of reality" aka not an insane person

OK sure thanks

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.

go3 posted:

absurdly rich people have a very disconnected view of reality and wicka has this same point of view so the question stands wicka are you Bernie or Todt

trick question, he's dietrich mateschitz

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

if F1 is so obviously failing then it should be easy to explain why every objective metric suggests otherwise

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

be nice wicka posted:

if F1/housing is so obviously failing then it should be easy to explain why every objective metric suggests otherwise

Said the real estate investor in late 2007.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

be nice wicka posted:

promoter fees are too expensive, yet people keep building new race tracks
the audience is falling, yet people keep paying more and more for TV rights
budgets are too high, yet new teams are joining, with new sponsors and new partners

explain to me again why F1 is in trouble? because it's on a network that's inconvenient?

Because that money does not filter though to the teams. It's one thing being able to survive as a team but it's another to have the money to throw into development. Why the hell should they be fighting to stay afloat anyway? It's the teams that own the equipment, factories and cars, it's the circuit owners who own the tracks and the FIA who make the rules. We could easily cut out the FOM by having someone like Sky and the BBC take over filming. So what is the point of the sport owners and Bernie, and why do they get the vast majority of the money without investing any of it back in?

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

MattD1zzl3 posted:

Said the real estate investor in late 2007.

no, because every objective measure did suggest imminent failure, they all simply ignored it because they didn't think it was possible. plus, again, it is just a meaningless and irrelevant comparison.

seriously, all of you are posting NOTHING. you sit and act like i'm crazy for not thinking F1 is collapsing but when pressed for evidence you provide none. if it's so obvious, explain yourselves.

learnincurve posted:

Because that money does not filter though to the teams. It's one thing being able to survive as a team but it's another to have the money to throw into development. Why the hell should they be fighting to stay afloat anyway? It's the teams that own the equipment, factories and cars, it's the circuit owners who own the tracks and the FIA who make the rules. We could easily cut out the FOM by having someone like Sky and the BBC take over filming. So what is the point of the sport owners and Bernie, and why do they get the vast majority of the money without investing any of it back in?

63% of FOM profits go to the teams

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
wicka have you considered getting treatment for whatever is that you have

• Locked thread