Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Damone
May 3, 2009
"Man online's fun, but I'm only going to go for 10 battles today."

30 Battles later...

"Okay, last one. I swear...
Maybe."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
i despise fighting pikachu online because everyone using him knows this one specific combo that can follow pretty much any of his moves and can't be interrupted.

The Gorp posted:

Simmilarly, speed characters have less health but build up so much synergy that they heal every round giving them more.
I legitimately think that each speed character needs some form of adjustment, they operate in field and duel phases so well with no consequences at all.

weavile has a teeny tiny reach on his grab so people who block and counter a lot are nearly untouchable because the moment i start running directly at them it's obvious what i'm about to do.

he is my cute and powerful friend but he is definitely not without weaknesses.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

The Gorp posted:

Bursts in general are sort of nonsensical, they benefit keep-away characters way more than offence oriented ones.
Say I want to break the distance as Machamp or Charizard so I activate my burst, the opponent chooses not to block and gets fullscreen distance.

This is completely not true, I fell the exact opposite, for the exact reason Dosvidanya said. You can walk forward and armor through everything, and every little thing goes into big damage, and that's before super. Seriously, just armor through stuff.

Not to mention, when you get close, then bursts are hilariously good for pressure. Besides having super invincible and safe supers to throw out at any point, you naturally have armor which makes the guessing game much more favorable for you. Escaping the pressure of someone in burst mode takes a lot of commitment.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
I hate how the tutorial forces you to move on after doing something successfully instead of letting you practice. Even worse is how, if you fail to do something successfully, it will eventually just give up on you and move on!!!

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Inflammatory posted:

i despise fighting pikachu online because everyone using him knows this one specific combo that can follow pretty much any of his moves and can't be interrupted.

weavile has a teeny tiny reach on his grab so people who block and counter a lot are nearly untouchable because the moment i start running directly at them it's obvious what i'm about to do.

he is my cute and powerful friend but he is definitely not without weaknesses.

You might be referring to f.Y, f.Y, d.X, d.A. The game teaches you that one. Watch out for when they jump, they'll probably intend to j.X into it. A shield or a counter should stop it, the start-up moves are actually quite slow.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
any good garchomp combos? or is Garchomp mostly aimed towards landing the right hits?

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
Combos can't be interrupted, by definition, if they hit you. Any string can be interrupted by a well-timed counter.

Garchomp actually has quite a few combo paths in duel phase - almost any landed hit can be converted into a nice chunk of damage. Duel phase is definitely where you want to be; any time spent in field phase should be dodging projectiles and looking for openings to land that one hit that gets you back into duel phase. To that end: f.Y (Chomp kicks up a cloud of sand directly in front of him) has a nice vertical hitbox and is the quickest move you have that phase shifts. It can be comboed into from side-Y projectiles, any attack assist, or a charged jump-Y tornado.

In duel phase, here are your important moves for combos (I'm using numpad notation here, sorry not sorry):

5YYY: Standard jab combo. Second and third hits cancelable into Dig or Dragon Claw. Dig does more damage and knocks down; this is your B&B punish combo. Also cancelable into burst in synergy mode.
4Y: Causes a spinning state, from which you can follow up with more or less whatever you want.
6YY: The kick on this string's first hit reaches pretty drat high and the punch has a lot of carry - I finish juggles with this when doing so would get a wallsplat. Highly unsafe and pushes you right up next to them on block.
8Y: Launcher. Very fast; very unsafe on block. Very important to note: Garchomp's upper stance (holding 8) has one hit of weak super armor, so this attack will often blow through other characters' jabs.
5X: Damaging juggle finisher. Kind of a pseudo-reversal since Chomp reels back a little before this becomes active. Highly unsafe on block.
jump X: A divekick in duel phase that can be spaced safely by aiming it at the opponent's feet. Unsafe on block if it touches their head, usually. Causes a ground bounce if it hits opponents out of the air and has a shitload of hitstun, so you can usually get a 4Y if you hit them standing.
Dragon Claw (5A): More reliable than Dig as a combo ender, especially in juggle situations, but less damaging and doesn't get you a knockdown.
Charged strong attack (hold X til Chomp glows, then release): This can be subbed in for a more damaging but trickier combo ender anywhere you see an xx. Will probably require some finger gymnastics to maintain charge during combos.

So here's a couple sample combos, but remember that these are dependent on screen positioning, opponent's character size, blah blah blah

4Y > YYY xx Dig
4Y > 8Y > YYY xx Dragon Claw
4Y > 8Y > 8X (hold X) > release X

Megachomp only:
Sand Tomb > Burst
Anything > YYY > Burst

Basically, the chomp gameplan goes like this: Get to duel phase. Get a knockdown. Threaten with meaty divekicks, Sand Tomb and Stone Edge. Capitalize off of any and all hits. I like Cubone assist a lot because it offers you opportunities to close the gap and gives you combo openings from midrange, where normally you'd just flounder.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
all right my new least favorite move is lucario's command counter that comes out loving instantly how are you supposed to grab that

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My defenses are impregnable
My arms are tired
You can't.
You have to block it and punish it.

bad frog
Dec 21, 2003

listen up

Sade posted:

dinosaur shark wisdom

I've only ever played ranged characters in fighters, and was having a rough time adjusting to Garchomp's playstyle. Thanks for this, it helped a lot

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
My current least favorite move is both Pikachu's grabs. Why do the tiniest characters also have the advantage of the longest grab range? Libre's grab also has a tall hitbox, so it grabs people out of the air too :argh:

Dosvidanya
May 28, 2004

I don't advertise for free ;-*

Broseph Brostar posted:

My current least favorite move is both Pikachu's grabs. Why do the tiniest characters also have the advantage of the longest grab range? Libre's grab also has a tall hitbox, so it grabs people out of the air too :argh:

The worst part besides the range is that it's airborne so some moves just completely whiff if you were going for a low attack or something versus pikachu's command grab.

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My arms are tired
Airborne is a stupid advantage, when I try to punish with certain moves the combo doesn't follow because being in the air stops the juggle immediately on the moves you should be using to counter throws.

Spintzel
Dec 31, 2007

Distractions makes it better when ya take up the ENTIRE ROAD
I've been having a lot of success with sceptile lately. He isn't good at far away especially in field phase but he has a lot of good moves to bait the other player into a mid range where you can hit them in a phase shift. Then I use bullet seed and leech seed to push them back and mega drain them.

Probably not the best strategy but it's fun to actually hit someone with mega drain

dromer
Aug 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Spintzel posted:

I've been having a lot of success with sceptile lately. He isn't good at far away especially in field phase but he has a lot of good moves to bait the other player into a mid range where you can hit them in a phase shift. Then I use bullet seed and leech seed to push them back and mega drain them.

Probably not the best strategy but it's fun to actually hit someone with mega drain

My strategy with Sceptile is usually to zone characters who don't have strong field presence during field phase using the Razor Leaf homing attack and the various traps, and then close in when they're vulnerable to end the phase with a combo. Normally you can end a field phase quickly with a Leaf Blade (especially against strong zoners like Braixen) since most people underestimate the range it has. As far as zoning goes, standing heavy (the backslap) is actually really good at catching people and I've been told it's safe on shield so you can push people back into the bullet seed death zone. Leaf blade in duel is good for pushing people back but usually what I do is pressure with bullet seed and go for the autocombo. If you dash in right while they're getting launched by the sprouts you can use the Izuna Drop grab which does a shitton of damage, but I've been having difficulty getting the dash cancel to work when I whiff the attack. Detect (back+A) is also good for closing the gap and doing mix ups. My main difficulty is deal with attack spammers since Sceptile's normal counter isn't very fast to activate in my experience.

dromer fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Mar 28, 2016

avlein
Jun 13, 2011

Inflammatory posted:

all right my new least favorite move is lucario's command counter that comes out loving instantly how are you supposed to grab that

Hit grab when they're on the ground and near you. It's really lenient.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

avlein posted:

Hit grab when they're on the ground and near you. It's really lenient.

he's not on the ground. it's the move where he shoots up diagonally into the air.

A Cup of Ramen
Oct 16, 2012

All Sceptile players should fight me in mirrors so I can steal your tech.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true

Inflammatory posted:

he's not on the ground. it's the move where he shoots up diagonally into the air.

Oh, that's Extreme Speed. You can just counter it back.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Random Charizard thing: Cubone assist lets him convert off his neutral X two hit tai swipe thing midscreen. Neutral X~Cubone, dash f+[X], flying Y, u+A works and is neat.

Charizard has neat combos but a lot of them get overshadowed damage-wise by simpler things.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Charizard is probably low-key one of the best characters in the game

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
I am kicking so much rear end with Gardevoir and I have no idea how or why. I am The Worst At Fighting Games yet I'm pulling off switchups, air juggles, elaborate wall combos, fairly accurate predictions of when to counter, etc.

I may have finally found the fightmans game that actually clicks with me.

dromer
Aug 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

mabels big day posted:

Charizard is probably low-key one of the best characters in the game

I've been having some fun with him grinding through the Chroma League. I'm still kind of confused on how Flying Stance works and I haven't really messed around with his aerial mix ups because single player but having Seismic Toss, a mid range normal flamethrower, and a pretty decent gap-closing counter attack in Fire Punch mapped to A is really nice.

e;

A Cup of Ramen posted:

All Sceptile players should fight me in mirrors so I can steal your tech.

Here's a decent video on Sceptile mix ups so long as you can handle the aim-a-webcam-at-the-screen screen capture. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2t94J-BsDhc

dromer fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Mar 28, 2016

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

I was sort of worried reading this thread that when I sat down to actually play the game I'd be super lost. Turns out that it's actually pretty basic as far as fighters go and I'm having tons of fun blasting poo poo with Suicune. I can see how it could get really deep, but I've never been a twitchy "oh poo poo there's a blink I need to do X in a 10-frame span" player. So far just the campaign is enough for me, but I'm sure I'll get my poop pushed in with online battles soon enough.

Also if they don't start putting DLC in a la SSB, I'll be real surprised. It seems tailor-made for it.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

rickiep00h posted:

Also if they don't start putting DLC in a la SSB, I'll be real surprised. It seems tailor-made for it.

Sm4sh has the benefit of being on the 3DS which means units sold and the increased revenue from being on a system that isn't the WiiU and justifies DLC.

Pokken was meant to get all of its DLC over the course of its arcade lifespan but that was cut short by the realization that Bamco was unable to generate worthwhile AI to challenge people who aren't just playing against other humans and turned out to be massively unprofitable as people would get 40-60 minute plays on a single credit and never touch the game again. It's why the WiiU version was rushed out and likely is why it lacks any serious usability features (lobbies, replays, etc) that Bamco otherwise knows how to develop in their fighting games.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Emalde posted:

Sm4sh has the benefit of being on the 3DS which means units sold and the increased revenue from being on a system that isn't the WiiU and justifies DLC.

Pokken was meant to get all of its DLC over the course of its arcade lifespan but that was cut short by the realization that Bamco was unable to generate worthwhile AI to challenge people who aren't just playing against other humans and turned out to be massively unprofitable as people would get 40-60 minute plays on a single credit and never touch the game again. It's why the WiiU version was rushed out and likely is why it lacks any serious usability features (lobbies, replays, etc) that Bamco otherwise knows how to develop in their fighting games.

Yeah but i want snorlax and pinsir.

Damone
May 3, 2009
Apparently you can double K.O. My Lucario's back Y in field phase and a Charizard aerial flame roll thing hit at the exact right time to double K.O us. Still counted as my win though... I guess it's because I already had a round on him?

Wonder what happens on a final round and a double K.O happens. Is there a draw in this game too?

Indigo Cephalopods
Oct 26, 2012

Justice Rains From Above

Damone posted:

Wonder what happens on a final round and a double K.O happens. Is there a draw in this game too?

Yes, there is.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Damone posted:

Apparently you can double K.O. My Lucario's back Y in field phase and a Charizard aerial flame roll thing hit at the exact right time to double K.O us. Still counted as my win though... I guess it's because I already had a round on him?

I think it may count draws as double wins? Because I had a match where we had both won a round and then ran out the clock at the end with us both having a single point of health, and it told me I won.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Flytrap posted:

I think it may count draws as double wins? Because I had a match where we had both won a round and then ran out the clock at the end with us both having a single point of health, and it told me I won.

In timeouts it determines the winner by who has a greater percentage of their health bar, I believe, so I wonder if having 1hp as a small character might count as a percentage victory over having 1hp as a large one.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Reiley posted:

In timeouts it determines the winner by who has a greater percentage of their health bar, I believe, so I wonder if having 1hp as a small character might count as a percentage victory over having 1hp as a large one.
It does. This happened in a tourny a bit ago

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Can't give enough advantages to speed characters can they?

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

IronicDongz posted:

It does. This happened in a tourny a bit ago

That's cool, the player who took more health from the other guy makes sense as the winner, rather than both ending on the same health value drawing a tie.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
The only downside imo is that the other dude let it get to that because he didn't know that that would happen, but I imagine everyone who plays professionally now knows

2MB
Feb 3, 2009

"No need to speak. Your fists told me everything I need to know about you."

Reiley posted:

This is also the big reason the Shadow Mewtwo infinite is dumb because Shadow Mewtwo has the lowest health in the game, so he always gets the win if the round ends with both of you at 1 HP.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Broseph Brostar posted:

Can't give enough advantages to speed characters can they?

-move faster, but have lower hp and damage
-get sync faster, but it doesn't last as long
-will win the match under this extremely specific circumstance
-???

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Inflammatory posted:

-???

Tiny hurtboxes with huge hitboxes on attacks, their smaller healthpools are easily balanced out by healing every round, and they have the easiest time taking advantage of the attack triangle due to faster attacks.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Inflammatory posted:

-???
-every one of them still does good or very good damage
-getting sync faster is generally better than it lasting longer, especially since it means you get a heal every round
-"faster" characters are already usually a lot better than "stronger" characters in fighting games

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Broseph Brostar posted:

Tiny hurtboxes with huge hitboxes on attacks, their smaller healthpools are easily balanced out by healing every round, and they have the easiest time taking advantage of the attack triangle due to faster attacks.

weavile definitely does not have huge hitboxes, and it doesn't feel like his attacks are noticeably faster than anyone else's.

IronicDongz posted:

-every one of them still does good or very good damage
-getting sync faster is generally better than it lasting longer, especially since it means you get a heal every round
-"faster" characters are already usually a lot better than "stronger" characters in fighting games

these i'll concede although his damage feels low to me, but maybe i'm just salty about machamps grabbing me for like 40% of my health.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My arms are tired

Inflammatory posted:

-???

-Gengar, synergy bursts each round heals upwards of 50 so who gives a poo poo
-Get one each round and be able to counter synergy bursts with their own consistently. Also posses the ability to simply run away from bursts outside of duel phase.
-Has tools for every situation, will get in through zoners and beat power characters at point blank.

Speed characters are bonkers as poo poo, nothing has changed from back when I bitched about them several pages ago.

• Locked thread