Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wonderslug
Apr 3, 2011

You don't say.
Fallen Rib
I honestly don't remember her doing any of those things, unless by "reacting" you mean "realizing or suspecting something which she then doesn't tell anyone." But I don't think I ever spent a bonding point on her and by the end of chapter 3 I was already predisposed to view everything she did uncharitably so I'm willing to concede I may have missed some redeeming features.

She's still an archetype that annoys me and, like Millium, she feels to me like she wandered into the wrong game entirely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Wonderslug posted:

I honestly don't remember her doing any of those things, unless by "reacting" you mean "realizing or suspecting something which she then doesn't tell anyone." But I don't think I ever spent a bonding point on her and by the end of chapter 3 I was already predisposed to view everything she did uncharitably so I'm willing to concede I may have missed some redeeming features.

Yeah, if you never bothered to talk to her, never did any of her side events and were already prepared to dislike her then you'd miss a lot of the character. She, among other things. comes right out to Rean and tells him about her magic powers and apologizes for not being able to tell him more, but Rean insists that she wait to come out comfortably at her own time when she can and there's some implications that he understands what it's like to have to hide something due to his own weird silver-haired bullshit.

Emma kind of fills the role of 'the one who isn't having freakouts' which can be a little boring but is kind of necessary when the rest of your party so frequently is. Gaius and Elliot do too but due to the way the plot division pans out they tend to not be around as often. Her keeping secrets is annoying but when her secrets involve mysterious magical powers and giant robots and bullshit, not "my parents are assholes", it's kind of understandable because the former makes you a target when you weren't before and your team involves at least one spy for the Chancellor.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Mar 22, 2016

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Wonderslug posted:

Alisa's kind of dull especially at the start, her intro is a tedious cliche, and her grandpa is Goddammit Japan personified, but I'll still take her over ~* mysterious magical glasses girl so demure so moe and let us never forget to also mention her boobs *~

If she gets a transformation sequence in CS2 I may die of exasperation.

That's ironic you say that because in Tokyo Xanadu, Magical Girl Alisa exists.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

davidHalestorm
Aug 5, 2009

Motto posted:

The boob thing is entirely justified by Falcom Gakuen.

Where I can see this? I can't seem to find it on Crunchyroll

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

You just download it. Look on bakabt or nyaa.eu

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
Emma is great and the bonding event where she and Rean suffer through bad gay erotica together is also great. :colbert:

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Cake Attack posted:

You just download it. Look on bakabt or nyaa.eu

Just a heads up though, the Cold Steel cast doesn't show up until S2 (SC).

Wonderslug
Apr 3, 2011

You don't say.
Fallen Rib

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, if you never bothered to talk to her, never did any of her side events and were already prepared to dislike her then you'd miss a lot of the character.

Oh, I always talked to everyone at every opportunity. Can't miss any NPC dialog after all! :shepicide: I just didn't drop any Free Day Funbux on her, except maybe very early on.

And that totally fits with Rean being far too understanding for his own good, but frankly after Legram everyone else has seen enough hosed up poo poo, aired enough dirty laundry, and seen how the stakes are getting high enough, for them to say "Shut up Rean, girl it is time for you to dish." Millium's being there is a fair point, but they could distract her with a shiny object.

Motto posted:

The boob thing is entirely justified by Falcom Gakuen.

Falcom Gakuen justifies practically anything. Except maybe North American Box Art Adol.

Wonderslug fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Mar 22, 2016

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Wait, is someone actually translating this?

davidHalestorm
Aug 5, 2009

Motto posted:

Just a heads up though, the Cold Steel cast doesn't show up until S2 (SC).

Sweet. Thanks, guys. Also to bring it back to Alisa. I think she and Juchis are tied for the worst families, I mean both of their families seemed to, either actively or passively encouraging events that's going to led to the West Zemurai equivalent of World War 1.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Some Numbers posted:

The women who runs endless history translated some of it with other fans, I don't think it's complete or there's any intention to finish it atm

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

oh yeah speaking of endless history, they scrapped the planned translation tuesday since 3rd is getting localized so translating scenes from 3rd is kinda pointless, so instead they made a big list of the mechanical changes from the PC version of 3rd to the PSP version (which the intent is to back-port into the PC version)

http://www.esterior.net/2016/03/translation-tuesday-psp-changes-to-trails-in-the-sky-the-3rd/

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Cake Attack posted:

oh yeah speaking of endless history, they scrapped the planned translation tuesday since 3rd is getting localized so translating scenes from 3rd is kinda pointless, so instead they made a big list of the mechanical changes from the PC version of 3rd to the PSP version (which the intent is to back-port into the PC version)

http://www.esterior.net/2016/03/translation-tuesday-psp-changes-to-trails-in-the-sky-the-3rd/

drat, that's alot of under the hood changes. Sara's got her work cut out for her.

Cake Attack posted:

The women who runs endless history translated some of it with other fans, I don't think it's complete or there's any intention to finish it atm

I don't see why they wouldn't finish it now that the rest of Translation Tuesday wrt 3rd is scrapped.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Zaggitz posted:

I don't see why they wouldn't finish it now that the rest of Translation Tuesday wrt 3rd is scrapped.

they'll keep doing the zero no Kiseki prequel manga but the actual Trails in the Sky manga which is a different thing (same person though) isn't being done anymore I don't think

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Some Numbers posted:

no, the first four chapters were translated in 2013

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Is there anything unique to the trails in the sky manga that we'd be missing out on? Cause otherwise I'm fine with just getting this interquel thing with Toval.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Zaggitz posted:

Is there anything unique to the trails in the sky manga that we'd be missing out on? Cause otherwise I'm fine with jut getting this interquel thing with Toval.

it's got some cute illustration but the main plot stuff is handled weirdly, they skip the first hour or so of the game including the introductions of like half the main cast in rolent to go straight to the cat quest and after the bit at the farm joshua loving decapitates a giant monster that tries to attack estelle when she spares them

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

also let's watch badass falcom commercials from the 90s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vxzB2tLpWY

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Zaggitz posted:

Is there anything unique to the trails in the sky manga that we'd be missing out on? Cause otherwise I'm fine with just getting this interquel thing with Toval.

Renne first shows up in the Air Pirate base.

I bought the whole FC series and I've been going through it rather slowly, but if you guys are interested, I could post all the differences I find.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Cake Attack posted:

also let's watch badass falcom commercials from the 90s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vxzB2tLpWY

Or there any details on who worked on this because that character design/art style looks seriously familiar, unless it's just the '90's anime' thing.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Some Numbers posted:

Renne first shows up in the Air Pirate base.

I bought the whole FC series and I've been going through it rather slowly, but if you guys are interested, I could post all the differences I find.

This would be cool. Although after the OVA I'm a bit apprehensive on the quality of adaptations of Trails material.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Zaggitz posted:

This would be cool. Although after the OVA I'm a bit apprehensive on the quality of adaptations of Trails material.

Thursday is my next day off so I'll see what I can get posted then.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I finished Trails of Cold Steel yesterday, the sequel can't come soon enough. :catstare:

I saw the "twist" coming by chapter 5 though. It's a bit too obvious.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

FrickenMoron posted:

I finished Trails of Cold Steel yesterday, the sequel can't come soon enough. :catstare:

I saw the "twist" coming by chapter 5 though. It's a bit too obvious.

Which part? There's like 10 twists in that endgame sequence.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The giant robots and evil bird are in the opening so I assume everyone saw them coming so I'm guessing Crowe is Citizen C which is pretty predictable because there aren't a ton of dudes in the game whose name starts with C and his vanishing act in the mines is hilariously transparent

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

ImpAtom posted:

The giant robots and evil bird are in the opening so I assume everyone saw them coming so I'm guessing Crowe is Citizen C which is pretty predictable because there aren't a ton of dudes in the game whose name starts with C and his vanishing act in the mines is hilariously transparent

Yeah but there's also The successful assassination and the Sharon double reveal of her being both Orouboros but currently not on their side.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

if anyone wants an av

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Apparently the Chinese PC version of Memories of Celceta got a fan patch which inserts XSEEDs translation into it. The only problem is that you'd need to :filez: it to remove the lovely DRM the Chinese PC version has so it's only available on :filez: websites for the moment. Apparently it runs at a consistent 60 fps with the English patch if you do that though.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Apparently the Chinese PC version of Memories of Celceta got a fan patch which inserts XSEEDs translation into it. The only problem is that you'd need to :filez: it to remove the lovely DRM the Chinese PC version has so it's only available on :filez: websites for the moment. Apparently it runs at a consistent 60 fps with the English patch if you do that though.

But is it a serviceable port?

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Slur posted:

But is it a serviceable port?

If by serviceable you mean "does it support 1080p, 60 fps and modern controllers" and apparently, the answer is yes.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the 60fps was apparently achieved through program fuckery and they're still testing other methods of making it work, and the pc port ripped out a bunch of lighting shaders that were in the vita version. also, because of the way the port differs from the modifications xseed made to the vita release, the translation and textures have some minor alterations

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Mar 26, 2016

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

The Colonel posted:

the 60fps was apparently achieved through program fuckery and the pc port ripped out a bunch of lighting shaders that were in the vita version

Yeah, I think it was the DRM which prevented 60 fps. Joyland's ports of Falcom games had some kind of weird system where they'd constantly ping certain servers for authentication and in doing so, dropped the framerate down to single digits at times. Hence, it's :filez:.

It does however give me hope if Zero and Ao are obtainable for XSEED to work on in the future though, since they use the same DRM system so it must be possible to remove it and still have it function.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.

The Colonel posted:

the 60fps was apparently achieved through program fuckery and they're still testing other methods of making it work, and the pc port ripped out a bunch of lighting shaders that were in the vita version. also, because of the way the port differs from the modifications xseed made to the vita release, the translation and textures have some minor alterations

Interesting. Thank you for letting me know!

Seems like it's an inferior port, but still works the way it's meant to. That should be good enough for people who want to try the game. However, I really do encourage people to pick up a PSTV to try the game out, considering the total package (if you already have a PS3/PS4 controller) is now $60.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i don't think zero no kiseki will need to have the drm ripped out, unless the japanese release still uses it for some reason. it's only ao that'll have complications, i think

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

The Colonel posted:

i don't think zero no kiseki will need to have the drm ripped out, unless the japanese release still uses it for some reason. it's only ao that'll have complications, i think

Oh yeah that's right, Falcom ripped the DRM and inserted the original Japanese script for Zero. But yeah, it'll probably be a coding nightmare for Sara but at least Ao seems possible.

Slur posted:

Interesting. Thank you for letting me know!

Seems like it's an inferior port, but still works the way it's meant to. That should be good enough for people who want to try the game. However, I really do encourage people to pick up a PSTV to try the game out, considering the total package (if you already have a PS3/PS4 controller) is now $60.

It's both inferior and better in some ways. It looks better visually because it supports 1080p so nothing is as aliased though it's still obviously a lot of the same textures from the Vita version. The fan patch gives it a stable 60 fps too whilst the Vita version suffered from really major dips in the framerate at times. But like Colonel said, it's missing shader effects and isn't exactly 100% accurate to the Vita version in other areas.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Cake Attack fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Mar 26, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen
Now I want to see the whole Kekkai Sensen ED done in the style of Cold Steel.