Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)

Chas McGill posted:

I'm looking to buy a used T450 or T450S for developing and design work in Illustrator and AutoCAD. Is the default screen TN? I vaguely remember someone complaining about the T450 screen being worse than the T450S one.

The 1080p screen on the T450s is a nice IPS one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

sarehu posted:

The 1080p screen on the T450s is a nice IPS one.
Thanks. Looks like there aren't any 1080p T450S's on UK Ebay.

I wonder if an old X1 Carbon would do the trick - battery life might be a problem though, and the processor is only one generation ahead of my X220.

Chas McGill fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Mar 23, 2016

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

It pisses me off almost beyond belief how the best ASUS laptops have that Republic of Gamers crap all over it. They have essentially the perfect stats and price point but I basically have to rule them out because I don't want to feel like a total rear end in a top hat using it in public.
Buy an MSI then. They are generally cheaper and usually the gaudy thing is a small light in the lid.

DrankSinatra
Aug 25, 2011
Does anybody have experience running Linux on the ThinkPad P series? My 15-inch macbook pro is being a butt, and needs a logic board replacement, and I was thinking about just getting it fixed and then replacing it.

The Thinkpad has the hardware to run a stupid number of VMs in parallel while compiling a ton of code, so that really appeals to me. The only thing is that I need some Unix-y OS for what I do - I spend roughly 75% of my professional time at the command line. Mac OS has been my go-to for a while, since it's vendor-supported, and the desktop experience is pleasant enough. I'm perfectly happy going back to Linux for work; it's just that I've just had enough godawful experiences with wireless drivers/ACPI and other aspects of laptop configuration with Linux that I'm leery of ever trying that again, unless I hear it's gotten better.

(Seriously, after messing with linux on laptops roughly five or six years ago, just hearing the word "Broadcomm" is enough to make me hate-barf in all directions.)

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Thinkpads typically run Linux like cake. You're going to have the best luck running linux on a T-series or X series, but the P-series ought to still run linux better than most laptops.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
1316 days. Thats how long my Sager NP9150 lasted. RIP you glorious way to spend $1619.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

go3 posted:

1316 days. Thats how long my Sager NP9150 lasted. RIP you glorious way to spend $1619.

ehhhh 3.5 years isn't that awful.

better than the 8 months or so I get out of each ideapad replacement

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
Envy 14 1st gen still going strong (not for gaming anymore just as a laptop) circa December 2010. Killed two hard-drives though.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

The Iron Rose posted:

ehhhh 3.5 years isn't that awful.

better than the 8 months or so I get out of each ideapad replacement

oh definitely not bad at all considering how much time it spend at 90' C and above. was hoping to make it to the next gpu refresh but the 675m just couldn't take any more.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Just got past 2 years on the last version of the XPS 15. Of course the only place left to go is another XPS 15 but there's no way to justify the price for "just" doubling the GPU power and almost nothing more. Assuming there is one, maybe the Kaby Lake refresh will also include one of those newfangled 14/16nm GPUs. Dell has a good form factor nailed down right now - they just need some continuity instead of redesigning with every refresh.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Seeing as Kaby Lake isn't coming out for a while, should I just resign myself about getting an XPS 13 with a better keyboard or X series Thinkpad with a 13" screen?

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

I'm biased but I think keyboards should be a bigger consideration than most people give it when buying a laptop.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

That's fair. The keyboard was enough to turn me off the more expensive versions of the Razer Blade Stealth and go for the base model if I end up picking one up.

The U processor and 8GB of RAM are not looking great, though. I'm waiting benchmarks.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
I think I'm going to "trade in" my old Asus netbook for $50 at Best Buy. Word is that they'll take laptops that power on for a minimum of $50 in gift card value. It's been sitting there for 4 years doing nothing soooo

Salt n Reba McEntire
Nov 14, 2000

Kuparp.
Have had a good run with my Sager/Clevo: a m980nu that's going on for eight years old, it's a bloody trooper. Only really use it for desk-to-desk* work and a little Diablo 3 now, though. Was ridiculous amount of money though, so I'm determined to get my moneys' worth.

(*reinforced desk)

On topic, I am looking for a new lightweight laptop for portable word processing and coding. I need a decent bit of screen real estate (minimum 1080p) and a processor with enough grunt to not struggle at compilation or running a few processor intensive tools simultaneously. Not interested in gaming on it, as I have more than enough toys already, and I don't want any daft bits of plastic hanging off it.

Wrinkle is, I'm in Europe, where you get double-fisted for thinking about buying electronics. Anybody seen any sneaky deals?

E: To clarify a little (because this doesn't seem like a hard question) I am not interested in a HP 'business' edition. I have had bad times with those, and do not wish to be cheaped out on the components overmuch.

Salt n Reba McEntire fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Mar 25, 2016

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Topreise may be a good resource? I tooled around a little on there, but I'm not sure if VAT will wreck you on that site or other stuff.

Salt n Reba McEntire
Nov 14, 2000

Kuparp.
Looks like a great place to start. Thanks!

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
Based on the OP's comments about the T430, should I be staying away? I'm looking for a refurbed thinkpad in the sub $300 dollar range. I have a desktop for gaming - it's mainly for travel and interfacing with a 3d printer. I want it to be powerful enough to do some CAD work and whatnot. Seems like a T420 would suit be just fine.

Posting this from a Satellite A-505 running windows vista

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

The screens on those are dogshit and I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Party Alarm posted:

Based on the OP's comments about the T430, should I be staying away? I'm looking for a refurbed thinkpad in the sub $300 dollar range. I have a desktop for gaming - it's mainly for travel and interfacing with a 3d printer. I want it to be powerful enough to do some CAD work and whatnot. Seems like a T420 would suit be just fine.

Posting this from a Satellite A-505 running windows vista

T430s if you can get it, T430 is also ok. The screens are agressively mediocre ,though probably not worse than what you have.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
I've stopped using my T430s almost entirely because of the screen and that's with the 'better' (better being relative) 1600x900 panel. It now just sits in its dock connected to a couple of external displays.

Also mine has some cracks at the corners of the lower portion of the case where the plastic palmrests meets the metal frame. Seems pretty common and although it's mainly cosmetic it is annoying.

headlight
Nov 4, 2003

I've been holding out for an x260 with 1080p display for loving months and getting sick of waiting (europe is lagging behind apac/usa by 2 months for some reason), so thinking of getting a yoga 260 instead.

Is there a substantial difference in build quality between the X and T series think pads and the Yoga versions with the same size? They look very similar so I'm wondering if they also benefit from good quality keyboards, able to take a knock etc?

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

headlight posted:

I've been holding out for an x260 with 1080p display for loving months and getting sick of waiting (europe is lagging behind apac/usa by 2 months for some reason), so thinking of getting a yoga 260 instead.

Is there a substantial difference in build quality between the X and T series think pads and the Yoga versions with the same size? They look very similar so I'm wondering if they also benefit from good quality keyboards, able to take a knock etc?

Chas McGill posted:

I'm looking seriously at buying an X260 Yoga, but it seems like there are some problems with throttling and case durability.

I'm still looking for a new laptop ahahahahaa

headlight
Nov 4, 2003

ugh guess i'll have to continue waiting... :(

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
The crappy colour gamut makes it useless for design work anyway - why even bother having a convertible with a fancy stylus if the screen is only good for Word docs?

havent heard a peep
May 29, 2003

When Steve Jobs died it wasn't the first job I'd lost that week.
Coworker wants a 14-15" screen notebook for full office apps and HDMI out to show YouTube rips of our product at conventions. He is looking on Groupon and slickdeals in the $250-300 section but I don't know what to recommend.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

liquidfire posted:

Coworker wants a 14-15" screen notebook for full office apps and HDMI out to show YouTube rips of our product at conventions. He is looking on Groupon and slickdeals in the $250-300 section but I don't know what to recommend.

Recommend that they skip that type of garbage tier stuff entirely - it's simply not suitable for any sort of work purpose, especially one that actually requires mobility.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
Check out the refurb Thinkpads and Latitudes on Newegg, you can probably find something alright there for under $300 if all you need is basic functionality for presentations.

It won't have the battery life or lightness of a new model but anything new for under $300 is a netbook or absolute bottom of the heap.

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ThinkPad-T4...qsAAOSwMmBVomyd

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LENOVO-THIN...zEAAOSwuAVWwLlr

I was looking at the two above - It seems like Newegg is a safe bet to get a good refurb but the i7 linked is significantly more powerful for only a bit more scratch. I think I'd like that bigger screen a lot too.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

That i5 vs that i7 is neither here nor there, the difference is about 5%. The much more important difference is the screen - that 1600x900 display is rubbish but it is at least more usable than the 1366x768 model

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
I'm looking for a laptop for my boss. He's a big guy and doesn't care about weight/thickness, but he's got semi-garbage vision and wants to be able to poke and prod at stuff. His requirements are:

• 17 inch display
  • touchscreen
  • backlit keyboard

I found an Envy 17t that met all those points, except HP wanted more than $400 extra to replace the base mechanical drive with a 500 GB SSD. I'd really like to find him something with an SSD, but I'm aware that 17" touchscreens are pretty rare. Any suggestions?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Just order an SSD separately (the SSD Megathread typically recommends the Samsung 850 EVO, in 250 or 500GB capacities) and follow these steps to swap it in. You'll need to install Windows on it fresh (from a USB key), or clone the old drive to it.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

If I'm buying an XPS13 (or 15 I haven't decided yet - also, to touchscreen or not to touchscreen eesh) should I just get it off of dell.com? Is there a better source for price or some other reasoning?

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

black.lion posted:

If I'm buying an XPS13 (or 15 I haven't decided yet - also, to touchscreen or not to touchscreen eesh) should I just get it off of dell.com? Is there a better source for price or some other reasoning?

Sometimes it's cheaper to pick up the XPS 13 on Microsoft's website but you have fewer customization options (non touch screen version is stuck with a 128gb ssd and 4gb ram)

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)

What the Christ.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

sarehu posted:

What the Christ.
I mean, if you have to stick a VGA port somewhere on a business laptop, the back pretty much the ideal location.

Edit: gently caress obviously it's a serial port, turning in my nerd card. :(

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Mar 29, 2016

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
That's a serial port.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

sarehu posted:

That's a serial port.

I'm waiting for the LPT port to make a comeback.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

I've seen enough people complain about usb-to-serial adapters not working with their ancient cnc routers or medical equipment to know there's absolutely a niche for this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Flipperwaldt posted:

I've seen enough people complain about usb-to-serial adapters not working with their ancient cnc routers or medical equipment to know there's absolutely a niche for this.

So much old equipment needs serial ports its not funny