Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

He voice acted himself every week when he gave me advice on how to live my life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

My life has been in a Death Spiral ever since Jackie Chan Adventures left

admiraldennis
Jul 22, 2003

I am the stone that builder refused
I am the visual
The inspiration
That made lady sing the blues
Sup Vita friends! I just bought my first Vita - a used PCH-1001.

Having fun on it, and the PS4 Link is super awesome, BUT I'm having a problem: game cards often take 2-3 tries to load. In other words, I put in the game card, nothing happens, then I eject and re-insert once or twice and then it works. I would say about half the time it works first try.

Is this a normal/common issue? More importantly: does anyone know if it will get worse? It seems like it might be oxidized contacts or something (the game cards look fine), but no idea how to clean. I tried ye old compressed air but that didn't really change anything. Should I try to return this Vita and get another one, or just live with this minor annoyance?

I also see a good amount of "mura effect" when viewing solid black screens while playing in a pitch black room but I've gathered this is par the course for OLED displays (the screen looks amazing otherwise).

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
tits are rear end, life is hometown

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Sakurazuka posted:

The only western voice actor I can name + know what they sound like is Mark Hamill

You're actually the loving worst

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
The voice of Teddie is also a voice of Donatello so that's all I ever hear. He does Prinnies too.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Junpei Hyde posted:

For real tho dual audio is great, even if I prefer English dubs.
Someday you will find it, the dub that destroys your soul

admiraldennis posted:

Should I try to return this Vita and get another one, or just live with this minor annoyance?
Did you get it from a store with knowledgeable people or a Gamestop? If the former then ask them nicely, if Gamestop just keep exchanging it til you get a not lovely one

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Baal posted:

You're actually the loving worst

Not my fault dubs are trash for babies

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Sakurazuka posted:

this

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Sakurazuka posted:

They are, Sakurazuka is right.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

ban voice actor chat!!!!!

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

For localizations, they should just get the Japanese VA to speak the lines in hilarious Engrish instead. Best of both worlds.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
3 pages of complaining about dubs and localizations. This is peak Vita thread.

vvv I guess they somehow never watched the Shawshank Redemption?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Sakurazuka posted:

How do you not know Clancy Brown, like that's not even a dub actor he's just great

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Charles Martinet should do some anime

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.
i unironically think melissa fahn is good and cool. like, subscribe, and follow me on IG for more thoughts about dubs

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

CrashCat posted:

Someday you will find it, the dub that destroys your soul

Impossible.

Sakurazuka posted:

Get the gently caress out of my thread.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
There's just good english vas out there who don't even do japanese stuff that you hear in games and cartoons a lot like fuckin Tara Strong, you loving heathens.

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg
Dubs are getting better lately, I dunno it's not that they use the same actors all the time but that a lot of the actors they use (or directors) just aren't very good? The talent pool has definitely gotten better but there seems to always be that couple of characters that stand out in a bad way and bring the whole cast down. Ex. the VLR dub is quite good but who the gently caress casted/directed Alice because not only is her voice slightly off, she constantly uses the wrong emotion, misses cues, & it even sounds like her volume levels are off

vv
Don't get me wrong, I definitely don't prefer it to the jp, but I thought Luna, Dio were decent and Phi/Tenmyouji were different takes that were alright

Yakiniku Teishoku fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Mar 26, 2016

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The VLR dub fuckin sucks

Like Zero III and K are the standouts, everyone else is bad

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I don't care about actors, period.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Mr. Fortitude posted:

For localizations, they should just get the Japanese VA to speak the lines in hilarious Engrish instead. Best of both worlds.

Yet another reason Shiki is best girl?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Oh right Phi and Tenmyoji were good . The Japanese track is alright, but VLR's voice acting is not really a strong point of either track.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

dubs are for children

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
If there's JP and EN voice acting in a game, I usually do the JP ones. They've gotten a lot better but at least with JP ones I can somewhat hide the shame of whatever terrible titty game I'm playing on my vita. Like Operation Abyss's VAs were fine (only EN although I made the horrible mistake of one of the fight noises being 'TAKE THAT' on a samurai that constantly spams a group attack move. TAKE THAT, TAKE THAT, TAKE THAT, TAKE THAT), Demon Gaze I preferred JP since the EN ones were pretty bad and Dungeon Travelers 2 I didn't care about having EN voice acting.

I like having the choice at least. v:shobon:v

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Davincie posted:

dubs are for children

I agree, Japanese dubs are for children.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Tbh, I don't really care that much about what people like listening to but voice acting is cool and I like to talk about voice acting.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I wished voice acting used more nonprofessionals, it seems to be a super underutilized option.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
with jp dubs its a lot harder to tell if the acting is bad since i don't know the language, but on the other hand it's a lot easier to pay attention to what's happening if i don't have to read subtitles. like i wish yakuza 5 had a dub because there's a lot of cool background things that i miss because i have to stare at bottom of screen all the time!!

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
There's a lot of nonprofessionals being pulled into voice acting, like people who did fandubs are being hired.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
having played a few hours of the first yakuza, i'm kinda gonna miss one of the main characters being a loose canon detective voiced by goofy when i get to the later ones

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

corn in the bible posted:

with jp dubs its a lot harder to tell if the acting is bad since i don't know the language, but on the other hand it's a lot easier to pay attention to what's happening if i don't have to read subtitles. like i wish yakuza 5 had a dub because there's a lot of cool background things that i miss because i have to stare at bottom of screen all the time!!

On the other hand Kazuma Kiryu has a very cool sexy voice

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg
Anyway it comes up sometimes but one of the major reasons English dubs suck in comparison IMO is that they do asynchronous recording with not enough context, whereas in jp the actors usually record together and get to actually play off each other. I'm guessing that would be not only more expensive but also more difficult when you're filling in with random non-union actors from wherever like happens a lot to save costs

That said there is high quality English voice acting done async but IIRC it's usually done for higher budget stuff or TV series where you'd have at minimum storyboarding & tons of context

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.

Baal posted:

Tbh, I don't really care that much about what people like listening to but voice acting is cool and I like to talk about voice acting.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I don't really care about dub v. sub in games, mostly because a lot of the JP games I play have paging dialogue, so I only end up hearing bits of the VA for lots of lines.

e: Cold Steel's dub is good.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Baal posted:

like people who did fandubs are being hired.

Probably those people have more experience than family members and/or random people grabbed out of the street.

I mean, this one is legendary in its badness:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAtC1SzWSXg

But anyway:

Motto posted:

Cold Steel's dub is good.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The RAD dub is excellent as well

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

darth cookie posted:

I couldn't last through the voices. :rip: $30

This goddamn thread delivers all the time holy poo poo

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Baal posted:

The VLR dub fuckin sucks

Like Zero III and K are the standouts, everyone else is bad

Sooner or later everyone has to put up with Dio

wait

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg

Saoshyant posted:

Probably those people have more experience than family members and/or random people grabbed out of the street.

I mean, this one is legendary in its badness:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAtC1SzWSXg

But anyway:

always a classic.

But yeah though there's nothing wrong with pulling those people in I'd guess that a lot of cheap VA just don't have that much acting experience in general. Happy medium might be trying to pull stage actors, who presumably already have decent articulation and volume (IIRC this is what they did with Xenoblade)