Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Saoshyant posted:

Probably those people have more experience than family members and/or random people grabbed out of the street.

I mean, this one is legendary in its badness:

Yeah, the Chaos Wars dub was done because they were forced to make a dub so they half-assed it bringing in family members and just didn't care cause they only wanted the english track on there.

Also I wasn't slamming fandub actors, Lucien Dodge and even one Retsupurae is familiar with, Kira Buckland, are genuinely good actors who gained experience through goofy poo poo on youtube and with the advent of stuff like abridged series there's more room for people to grow as actors. It's still weird to try and break into the business, but usually if someone catches an eye of your work you might actually have a chance. It's p cool to see it happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

corn in the bible posted:

with jp dubs its a lot harder to tell if the acting is bad since i don't know the language, but on the other hand it's a lot easier to pay attention to what's happening if i don't have to read subtitles. like i wish yakuza 5 had a dub because there's a lot of cool background things that i miss because i have to stare at bottom of screen all the time!!

i don't understand this complaint. i have literally never missed something in my life because i was reading subtitles. its not like the 90% of the world that uses subtitles misses half the movie/game whatever

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Also just as an fyi, most voice actors have done stage acting at some point or another. Laura Bailey was a stage actor for quite a while, it's very rare you get someone whose only acting experience is voice acting, Steve Blum is one of the few people with no acting experience and is one of the most prolific voice actors in America now.

Davincie posted:

i don't understand this complaint. i have literally never missed something in my life because i was reading subtitles. its not like the 90% of the world that uses subtitles misses half the movie/game whatever

I don't disagree, but I read pretty fast compared to most people according to some friends I have so maybe most people are just bad?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Davincie posted:

The only one I can think of is Tatami Mat Galaxy but that's probably even more overwhelming if you can actually understand Japanese

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg

Baal posted:

Also just as an fyi, most voice actors have done stage acting at some point or another. Laura Bailey was a stage actor for quite a while, it's very rare you get someone whose only acting experience is voice acting, Steve Blum is one of the few people with no acting experience and is one of the most prolific voice actors in America now.

Oh sure, but you're talking about some of the best in the biz though. There's definitely plenty of early 20-somethings whose acting experience consists of voice acting workshops and roles in small market commercials

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Nowadays yeah, with the internet becoming more prominent in the last 10 years it's absolutely bound to happen.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

In Training posted:

The only one I can think of is Tatami Mat Galaxy but that's probably even more overwhelming if you can actually understand Japanese

i had no problems with the subs, years of training :cool:

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

I can read a subtitle in a half second. I'm very powerful

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
i used to turn the captions on my tv as a kid and played lots of videogames so reading text fast ain't no thing

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

In Training posted:

The RAD dub is excellent as well

a robot killed grandma

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I like to assume every element of RAD was pre-planned and intentional. Also why does everyone pick the guy in the suit
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqmeQ0Ya4G8
Urrrrrrr
Keeeyaaaaaa.

Man I wish they still made these games.

HGH fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Mar 26, 2016

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

absolutely anything posted:

a robot killed grandma

Eradicate all traces of grandma.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
I prefer dubs in games over reading subtitles even if it is bad because I do not speak Japanese and therefore have absolutely no way of knowing if the actor is doing a good job or a bad job except in certain really emotional moments, and so if I can't understand the voice acting I end up just pressing buttons to advance the dialogue early and it might as well not be there in that case.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Honestly I end up doing no matter what, if it lets me, I read a lot faster than spoken dialogue and can't be bothered waiting for it to catch up

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Lately I've found that I have increasingly less and less patience with Japanese VA. If the dialogue flows while the text is scrolling, it's fine but if it's one of those games that displays all the text at once I'm just hitting the next button once I've read everything. Stein's;Gate was insufferable for this, the text would end and there would be like ten seconds of VA I couldn't understand but I'd sit there and listen to it anyway and about halfway through the game I got fed up with it and started reading at my own pace.

I'm playing Cyber Sleuth right now and I'm doing that too, but interestingly enough Phantasy Star Nova I let ride.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

why did you do that??? i never wait for the full line reading even in english games that would be madness. this is why voice acting should be banned except for flavor soundbytes and key lines

MisterAlex
Dec 4, 2004

For Blood, Comic Mischief, Mature Humor, Nudity, Strong Language, Suggestive Themes, Use of Alcohol, and Intense Violence.

Online Interactions Not Rated.
Not something I was expecting to read in one of my PS Plus games...

So... does that have non-dirty meaning I'm not familiar with? I only know the one. :v:

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

The Vita has a Screenshot function.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

You can take screenshots if you press the PS button + start at the same time

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Sakurazuka posted:

Honestly I end up doing no matter what, if it lets me, I read a lot faster than spoken dialogue and can't be bothered waiting for it to catch up

Yeah. It's why I turn off subtitles if I can

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Oh the one good dub is the Metal Gear series of course.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

In Training posted:

Oh the one good dub is the Metal Gear series of course.

what about no more heroes

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

That's win as well

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

HGH posted:

I like to assume every element of RAD was pre-planned and intentional. Also why does everyone pick the guy in the suit
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqmeQ0Ya4G8
Urrrrrrr
Keeeyaaaaaa.

Man I wish they still made these games.

They make EDF now, which has some of the same charms.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I will be in Japan soon. Anything I should keep an eye out for?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Waltzing Along posted:

The babes

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Waltzing Along posted:

don't insult the androgynous japanese muscle girls

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Ruggington posted:

don't insult the androgynous japanese muscle girls

also get me their numbers

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Phantasy Star Nova is my new, cheap go-to import.

admiraldennis
Jul 22, 2003

I am the stone that builder refused
I am the visual
The inspiration
That made lady sing the blues

CrashCat posted:

Did you get it from a store with knowledgeable people or a Gamestop? If the former then ask them nicely, if Gamestop just keep exchanging it til you get a not lovely one

That's a good idea but no, I got it from a goon. He would gladly take it back but I'd rather not deal with it if it's just something I'll find on the next used Vita I get.

I'm worried it might get worse since I'm not sure the nature of the issue (e.g. is it oxidizing contacts? or some worn out mechanism that detects if a card is in the slot?)

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
I picked up Cold Steel and this is probably the most interested i've been in the first hour of a jrpg in years.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.

Waltzing Along posted:

As in import friendly stuff or rare stuff or what?

IA/VT Colorful is good if you like rhythm games and it's pretty easy to play without any understand of japanese. Miku games too probably. There's more importers here but if I was game hunting in Japan I'd probably just grab Taiko no Tatsujin V, PuyoPuyo Tetris and maybe the new Miku game.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
How is Dragon's Crown? I noticed it's on the store for $15.

Is it like Odin's Sphere or Muramasa?

MPLS to NOLA
Aug 14, 2010

i gotta little trigger
twitchin in my brain
and when that doesn't start
there's murder in my heart

Anora posted:

How is Dragon's Crown? I noticed it's on the store for $15.

Is it like Odin's Sphere or Muramasa?

It's a side scrolling beat em up like Cadillacs n Dinosaurs or Streets of Rage with random loot like Diablo. Looks great, cool bosses, kind of grindy with some framerate problems. Iirc the people that liked it really liked it but it didn't grab all that many (it was a + freebie)

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Motto posted:

I don't really care about dub v. sub in games, mostly because a lot of the JP games I play have paging dialogue, so I only end up hearing bits of the VA for lots of lines.
You could stop mashing the button if you want (though I only do if I think a line will have some expressiveness)

Help Im Alive posted:

You can take screenshots if you press the PS button + start at the same time
Now you tell me. But, uh, how do you get them out of there? Proprietary memory and everything...

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Waltzing Along posted:

you can buy light novels about anime tits on the fourth floor of the mandarake in akihabara

e: fifth floor is light novels about anime dicks

ee: sixth floor is normal video games actually

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

I found that Tora no Ana has a better selection.

e: of both
Also, the Mandarake in Shibuya is better.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

CrashCat posted:

You could stop mashing the button if you want (though I only do if I think a line will have some expressiveness)
Now you tell me. But, uh, how do you get them out of there? Proprietary memory and everything...

transfer them with content manager same as you do with backups or whatever. they show up in photos.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
for example here is a screenshot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Takoluka posted:

I found that Tora no Ana has a better selection.

toranoana was ok but mandarake will always have a special place in my heart because it was where some japanese guy who was really shame and wearing a jacket kenny-style to conceal his identity came up to me all "are these all <genre> doujins" and i was like "yeah, yeah they are" "oh, you have good taste" and we had a pretty :hf: moment

and then he strip mined his favorites in like sixty seconds and bailed

quote:

Also, the Mandarake in Shibuya is better.

aesthetically yes absolutely but akiba had the tactics ogre tarots and coryoon when shibuya did not

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Mar 27, 2016