Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Random Number posted:

Would y'all be interested in seeing a solar panel deployment and pointing device for cubesats in this thread? It's in the spirit of the thread, but not the letter (there's not much metal).

If there's a general tinkering thread I'll throw it in there and link to it.

:justpost:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBJamo
Jul 15, 2012

Neat old video from the 50s about forging aerospace parts. Courtesy of Hackaday

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Leperflesh posted:

They're generally designed to compress by flattening the arch, which is the opposite way you'd probably think of arranging them for a ballista. But generally I bet you could still fabricobble up something suitably lethal and stupid regardless.

The big danger is that you build something that flips your projectile up and even back rather than sending it smoothly downrange. Well, also the other big danger is that the thing comes apart while under maximum tension and sends big hunks of bone-crushing metal whipping around. Those are the big two dangers. The next biggest danger is probably your legal liabilities.

I'd be up for it if I had a big field. :getin:

I made one back in the late 90s. Trigger design is something that's pretty complicated to get right.

I used one leaf from a '44 willys jeep, and the widowmaker jack from same. Welding and some 1/8" aircraft cable finished out the job.

It fires an arrow an inconceivably long distance (over 300yd). As tight as I could crank it (and still work the trigger), it'd only fling a 30" piece of 3/8 rebar about 25'. A better trigger would certainly help. I assume the thing is still sitting somewhere; I should try to find it and get some pictures.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?
Speaking of catapults, after reading Tracey Rihll's fascinating The Catapult: A History , I found myself scouring the internet for more information; particularity other opinions on the in-swinger/out-swinger debate, and the prevalence of manuballistae in the Roman military.

I came across this guy:

Nick Watts, a machinist from Washington, who builds historically accurate ballistae. His work definitely includes enough metalworking to be relevant to the thread.

He approaches the endeavor from an experimental archaeological standpoint, and has logged his progress in a (painfully web 1.0, but well written) blog here http://wattsunique.com/blog

Incidentally, the pictured machine can shoot a 48" group at 300 yards, and has a maximum range of 800 yards.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Random Number posted:

Would y'all be interested in seeing a solar panel deployment and pointing device for cubesats in this thread? It's in the spirit of the thread, but not the letter (there's not much metal).

If there's a general tinkering thread I'll throw it in there and link to it.

There is a catch-all post your projects megathread if you want more coverage.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

I'd be happy to see it posted here, but put it wherever you like.

LibertyCat
Mar 5, 2016

by WE B Bourgeois
A while back I asked about getting a 2nd hand MIG welder. The seller seems to have gone quiet and it might fall through.

In the meantime I've been thinking about my needs. Realistically it's pretty rare for me to do long runs, and if I do it's on thicker stuff I can use the arc welder on. The main project I was going to get the welder for has transitioned from aluminum to 316 stainless - which means I'd need yet another gas for MIG.

I'm now wondering - should I get a TIG instead? If pure argon will cover mild steel, stainless & aluminum, it's a big advantage.

Something like this is a bit of a stretch for the budget but seems pretty universal. Aside from not being Lincoln is there something horrifically wrong with that welder?

AbsentMindedWelder
Mar 26, 2003

It must be the fumes.
This weekend I fixed my buddy's mower deck so I can get it off my plate. As you can see, I had to weld in a piece of 1/2" plate to hold the bolt that the roller spins on. The "wing" to the left of that had a bunch of cracks and holes in the corner that I welded shut, using the "STIG" method. (6011 electrode in the the stinger with one hand, and bare TIG wire in the other.) I learned that method back in my days of welding coal cars. The TIG wire helps you keep the puddle cooler so it doesn't burn a hole and deposit more metal faster. Certainly not sanctioned by the AWS but it works on coal cars and farm equipment. The right wing was so bad I had to cut it out, weld in some 1/8" plate, and then weld the lip portion of the wing back in. All the welding was done with 3/32" 6011.

iForge was nice enough to drop off a Weber grill for shop use this past weekend. Gave it a work out tonight.

I was delayed getting to the shop today, so not a whole lot of mill time. I played around with the power feed boxes. The one on the left works in both directions and has speed control. The one on the right only works in one direction and it also has working speed control. By work, I mean the motor turned on and the gear spun. The gear on the bottom on the left one is a bit chewed up. I seem to be missing the covers for both of them. The one the right has a broken toggle switch located on the bottom near the exposed gear, I had to flip it on with a screw. The little push button switches on the tops which you can't see need new rubber boots over them. (I have no idea yet what they do) Both of the power feeds have some type of electromagnet assembly hanging off a cord. As you can see one of them seems intact while the other one has fallen apart and missing a piece. These are the Lagun model 140 speed controls, which I have the manual on. I'll be studying it and the parts diagrams as it looks like I'll be disassembling these.

I'm assuming one is for the X and one is for the Y as opposed to both being for the X.

LibertyCat posted:

A while back I asked about getting a 2nd hand MIG welder. The seller seems to have gone quiet and it might fall through.

In the meantime I've been thinking about my needs. Realistically it's pretty rare for me to do long runs, and if I do it's on thicker stuff I can use the arc welder on. The main project I was going to get the welder for has transitioned from aluminum to 316 stainless - which means I'd need yet another gas for MIG.

I'm now wondering - should I get a TIG instead? If pure argon will cover mild steel, stainless & aluminum, it's a big advantage.

Something like this is a bit of a stretch for the budget but seems pretty universal. Aside from not being Lincoln is there something horrifically wrong with that welder?

There's nothing wrong with having multiple shielding gasses assuming you have the room. Even with TIG, you can run an Argon/Co2 mix when welding steel if you want more penetration. That said if you have Argon and Argon/Co2 mix, you can do pretty much anything you need in a home shop with both TIG or MIG. I have both in my shop.

By "arc welder" in your post I'm assuming you already have a stick welder. The TIG is most certainly handy for home shop use, it's versatile and is good at welding small things but does require a lot or practice to be good at it, and is a slow process. (I still have lots or practice ahead of me before I call myself any good at TIG) That said, if you want to do any sheet metal work for cars or other stuff, you will be missing a MIG machine. I tend to prefer stick for structural stuff.

The bottom line is eventually, if you are like me, you are going to have all 3 processes available. The question is which order to buy them in? Listing out your potential future projects in the order you might want to do them in would help you to decide.

One Legged Ninja
Sep 19, 2007
Feared by shoe salesmen. Defeated by chest-high walls.
Fun Shoe

AbsentMindedWelder posted:

The little push button switches on the tops which you can't see need new rubber boots over them. (I have no idea yet what they do)

On our Grizzly mill, the button is a fast travel button. It just sets the feed to full speed without having to reset the dial to whatever you were cutting at when you're done.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

using the "STIG" method. (6011 electrode in the the stinger with one hand, and bare TIG wire in the other.) I learned that method back in my days of welding coal cars. The TIG wire helps you keep the puddle cooler so it doesn't burn a hole and deposit more metal faster. Certainly not sanctioned by the AWS but it works on coal cars and farm equipment.

:lol:

One of my friends did something he called "TIGMIG" to make his 120V MIG welder do enough to finish off his jeep project. It involved 3 footlong pieces of MIG wire held parallel and fed in with one hand while MIGing with the other hand. :banjo:

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
Any tips or tricks for hot n cold-forming titanium? I've got some CP2 0.140" round rod coming in and I'm kind of faintly hoping I'll be able to get away with simpler forming operations- hammering n what i'd call 'gentle swaging'- cold, but I'm really not holding my breath given how tough this 14-gauge CP2 wire I've got is.

Ambrose Burnside fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Mar 30, 2016

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Ambrose Burnside posted:

Any tips or tricks for hot n cold-forming titanium? I've got some CP2 0.140" round rod coming in and I'm kind of faintly hoping I'll be able to get away with simpler forming operations- mostly swaging- cold, but I'm really not holding my breath given how tough this 14-gauge CP2 wire I've got is.

At least it's not Gr5... :)

ductonius
Apr 9, 2007
I heard there's a cream for that...
Making a shovel: A Youtube Journey

North America: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_xxi2TSdTQ Rating: :black101:

Russia: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fkYCPjlWOY Rating: :black101: :black101:

India: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrChMGkwFSA Rating: :black101: :black101: :black101:

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
Russia: Here's something you don't generally think about daily that we make a billion of.

Captain Blaargh
Apr 27, 2007

Yeah yeah yeah. How about some Scotch whiskey? You got any of that around here, or just a bunch of nonsense words?

Looking to find a good source of 14 gauge (and other gauges later probably) carbon steel wire for chainmail projects. What are some good internet suppliers I should look at? Also going to check around at some of the local metal distributors when I can get a chance, but there is not generally a great selection of materials in this area.

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

Captain Blaargh posted:

Looking to find a good source of 14 gauge (and other gauges later probably) carbon steel wire for chainmail projects. What are some good internet suppliers I should look at? Also going to check around at some of the local metal distributors when I can get a chance, but there is not generally a great selection of materials in this area.

Have you checked The Ring Lord? From what I understand that's the go-to place for all chainmail needs.

Captain Blaargh
Apr 27, 2007

Yeah yeah yeah. How about some Scotch whiskey? You got any of that around here, or just a bunch of nonsense words?

I have looked at them, but they were out of the appropriate wire when I checked. That and I like to see how many options are out there.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
Search for "Piano" or "Music" wire. That's what industry calls it.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.
I am interested in trying my hand at hobby welding. A few little projects such as making my dad a new work bench that doesn't suck and a chiminea out of a propane tank for my patio. Little stuff like that. What would be a good, reasonably priced welder that can handle a reasonably large variety of things (in case I like it and try bigger and crazier stuff)?

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

If you've never welded before, I strongly recommend taking a couple night courses. They're not terribly expensive, they let you work with really expensive machines, and if the school's worth half a poo poo you can work on your own projects as practice/course work.

Plus that will let you try a couple different processes so you can find out what you like or what you're good at.

Other than that, it really depends on budget. It's hard to beat a good arc welder with a high duty cycle percentage for pure versatility. There are hundreds of discount Chinese factories that sell perfectly acceptable arc machines for 3-600 bucks with a pile of accessories. Dead simple machines with proven technology.

If you go mig, get a decent one, cheaping out will just cause you headaches later with lovely wire feed parts and other finicky bullshit. Lincoln has good home units for 700ish Canadian, expect to add a few hundred more for a gas bottle and a cart -despite the tiny size, mig machines need a lot of logistical support while arcs just need an extension cord.

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
spent. like. 6 hours today drilling 1" holes through 3.5" cumulative inches of steel plate w a hole saw. still not done. kill me

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Slung Blade posted:

Other than that, it really depends on budget. It's hard to beat a good arc welder with a high duty cycle percentage for pure versatility. There are hundreds of discount Chinese factories that sell perfectly acceptable arc machines for 3-600 bucks with a pile of accessories. Dead simple machines with proven technology.

But ew, I'd look for something used and quality make. Hobart, Lincoln, whatever you got over there. DC rectifier of course.

CBJamo
Jul 15, 2012

That russian factory's stacking game is on point.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Ambrose Burnside posted:

spent. like. 6 hours today drilling 1" holes through 3.5" cumulative inches of steel plate w a hole saw. still not done. kill me

Time to get a plasma cutter?

Or befriend a waterjet tech.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Slung Blade posted:

If you've never welded before, I strongly recommend taking a couple night courses. They're not terribly expensive, they let you work with really expensive machines, and if the school's worth half a poo poo you can work on your own projects as practice/course work.

Plus that will let you try a couple different processes so you can find out what you like or what you're good at.

If you go mig, get a decent one, cheaping out will just cause you headaches later with lovely wire feed parts and other finicky bullshit. Lincoln has good home units for 700ish Canadian, expect to add a few hundred more for a gas bottle and a cart -despite the tiny size, mig machines need a lot of logistical support while arcs just need an extension cord.

I have looked at length for a night class or weekend program at local colleges and trade schools but to no avail. They all want to just enroll me in 2-year certification programs.

If anyone knows of a place in/around central Jersey or over the border in pa, that would be very helpful.

Edit: just found an intro course at the tech school near me. Too bad it's near $800.

Crazyeyes fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Apr 1, 2016

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Crazyeyes posted:

I have looked at length for a night class or weekend program at local colleges and trade schools but to no avail. They all want to just enroll me in 2-year certification programs.

If anyone knows of a place in/around central Jersey or over the border in pa, that would be very helpful.

Edit: just found an intro course at the tech school near me. Too bad it's near $800.

Try art schools too. They usually have welding courses for sculpters.

Can you guys write off education costs on your taxes at all?

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Slung Blade posted:

Try art schools too. They usually have welding courses for sculpters.

Can you guys write off education costs on your taxes at all?

No art schools offering one-off classes either around me.

I don't believe I could write off what is effectively hobby classes, but I am honestly unsure.

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

ReelBigLizard posted:

Time to get a plasma cutter?

Or befriend a waterjet tech.

yeah i strongly regret not at least getting some price quotes from local waterjet guys, but doggone it i can do this for $35 in hole saws and some time* on the mill drill at my internship, why not

*did not anticipate "some time" being like two full work days or wahtever

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
Just watched this weeks Forged in Fire, That Burt guy is amazingly efficient, they really had to stretch to amp up the drama for him when he really never had anything to worry about.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Ambrose Burnside posted:

yeah i strongly regret not at least getting some price quotes from local waterjet guys, but doggone it i can do this for $35 in hole saws and some time* on the mill drill at my internship, why not

*did not anticipate "some time" being like two full work days or wahtever

Boring bar with a carbide tip wouldn't work?

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

Slung Blade posted:

Boring bar with a carbide tip wouldn't work?

It would, but the shop owner doesn't have a boring head for his machine and it's prolly too huge a task for a 1/4" shank mini boring head on my still-unassembled wee Taig mill

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Ah, fair enough.

Pagan
Jun 4, 2003

echomadman posted:

Just watched this weeks Forged in Fire, That Burt guy is amazingly efficient, they really had to stretch to amp up the drama for him when he really never had anything to worry about.

This weeks episode was pretty good all around. Burt's final product was gorgeous; I wish there was a little more time spent on "glamour shots" of the final pieces.

I've noticed something about the way they quench. It looks like they don't do any tempering at all, and are holding the knives in the oil for around 8 seconds (there was one episode where this was discussed in detail)

Are they trying to harden just the cutting edge and leave enough heat for the rest to be soft? Everything I've read about smithing says that you quench FULLY, then temper, except for very specific situations.

Temperchat!

AbsentMindedWelder
Mar 26, 2003

It must be the fumes.

Crazyeyes posted:

I am interested in trying my hand at hobby welding. A few little projects such as making my dad a new work bench that doesn't suck and a chiminea out of a propane tank for my patio. Little stuff like that. What would be a good, reasonably priced welder that can handle a reasonably large variety of things (in case I like it and try bigger and crazier stuff)?

You should have no problems finding something like a Lincoln Idealarc or Miller Dialarc in NJ. Put a wanted ad up on craiglist. In lieu of any school, get yourself 200-300 lbs of electrodes, watch Jody's welding tips and tricks videos, and practice practice practice. If you want some in person pointers, you can visit my shop in Elkton MD some time.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Almost snatched a Lincoln 225 I found for sale in Philly for $100. Guy sold it 5 minutes before I called :(

AbsentMindedWelder
Mar 26, 2003

It must be the fumes.
Don't buy a 225... Tapped transformers suck, they are either too cold or too hot. You want something that can "infinitely" vary the welding current.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Pagan posted:

This weeks episode was pretty good all around. Burt's final product was gorgeous; I wish there was a little more time spent on "glamour shots" of the final pieces.

I've noticed something about the way they quench. It looks like they don't do any tempering at all, and are holding the knives in the oil for around 8 seconds (there was one episode where this was discussed in detail)

Are they trying to harden just the cutting edge and leave enough heat for the rest to be soft? Everything I've read about smithing says that you quench FULLY, then temper, except for very specific situations.

Temperchat!

They're doing a fairly common quenching + tempering technique. You heat to the appropriate temperature, quench, but pull out of the oil or water while the metal is still retaining a lot of heat. The heat will be highest in the thickest core parts of the metal, since the surfaces cooled faster than the energy takes to propagate through the metal. So what you pull out is cool on the surface but still very hot in the center.

The central heat then propagates outwards, and if it's hot enough, it tempers as it goes. Hold the metal out in the air for just the right amount of time, and then back into the quench bucket. Bam, you have a tempered blade!

The problem with this technique is that you are adding variables. You can stick your blade into the oil for five seconds (or whatever), but how long exactly did you need, to get just the right core temp? When you pull it out, you can try to look at the surface colors to judge the temper, but A) you haven't had a chance to polish after you had it in the forge, so there may be a thin layer of scale obscuring your vision, B) the carbonized oil from your quench bath is also obscuring the surface, and C) the heat is coming from inside... it may or may not spread in the way you wanted, and it's impossible to tell exactly how hot the center of the metal is, so you just can't know exactly what the ratio of ductility to hardness you've got in the core.

The more careful and controlled technique of differential hardening and tempering gives you much more assurance that your blade is exactly the range of tempers from edge to back/heel/core/tang that you wanted.

The drawback though is that it's a lot slower. If you waited until you only have 90 seconds left before time is up, you can pull off a ghetto quench+temper in time. If you want to do it "properly," you're going to need more like 20 minutes. The other advantage of the quick technique is that if you pull the blade out while it's still hot, the oil bursts into flame, so it's really cool looking and the camera crew can get a slo-mo shot of flames going everywhere. Badass! Plus you look like a total badass bladesmith doing it!

A real master with many years of experience making a blade shape he's familiar with using a steel he's familiar with can probably consistently get excellent results using the quick technique. If I were a contestant on Forged in Fire, though? Given they're usually working with random steel, making shapes that are semi-experimental, using a whole slew of equipment I was unfamiliar with? No effing way. I've seen too many contestants eliminated because their blade didn't harden, or because it twisted when they quenched and they had zero time to fix it, or because it outright cracked during quenching. I'd rather have a simpler-looking blade that I had time to heat treat properly, sharpen properly, test, and re-treat if necessary.

Brekelefuw
Dec 16, 2003
I Like Trumpets
Are the judges on the show good at their stuff? I looked up Doug marcaida, bit haven't checked out the others work.
Doug marcaida seems like a bit of a Weiner, and the master bladesmith guy seems really smug a lot of the time.

AbsentMindedWelder
Mar 26, 2003

It must be the fumes.
The wooden table now has the parts for mill table and all the various hardware for everything sitting in a tub. To the left are a few oil system pieces, various brackets I have no idea what they are for yet, and a few odds and ends. The blue tub has some parts I stripped off the surface grinder before I scrapped it, but it looks like it might have some hardware that belongs to the mill hanging out there too, we'll see. As you can see the bearing keeper is broken in two pieces.

On the workbench I have all the parts for the saddle. (Minus the hardware and lock)

Cleaned off this rolling thingy and placed the coolant pump, oiler, vise, drawbar, and DRO stuff. I'm conflicted on whether this mill does or does not have a powerfeed for both the X and Y axis. Obviously there are two power units, but sorting through the parts I'm having a hard time seeing how it would mount on the Y axis. I dug up the email from 2011 the seller sent me and it alludes to having power on both X and Y. I found his phone number so I left him a voicemail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Don't buy a 225... Tapped transformers suck, they are either too cold or too hot. You want something that can "infinitely" vary the welding current.

Well it was that or the 125 HD Lincoln cause dropping 600+ ain't happening. People seemed to like the 225 more, though...