Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

it's a big galaxy and you can have whatever the hell implants you like so long as they're not like obviously xenos, heretical, or daemonic

maybe you come from a forge world where everyone has big LED displays that can be made to project words like SAD or ANGRY, to help with social interaction. maybe you have the word HOMO for a mouth idk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

it's a big galaxy and you can have whatever the hell implants you like so long as they're not like obviously xenos, heretical, or daemonic

But who is anybody else to say that an implant is xeno/heretical/daemonic? I mean you're the techpriest here, surely you know better than them.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

The Lone Badger posted:

But who is anybody else to say that an implant is xeno/heretical/daemonic? I mean you're the techpriest here, surely you know better than them.

Another tech-priest in the party is from the department in charge of investigating whether technology is properly human in origin.

The department may be named the department of lies.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
This is just me spitballing, but I always thought you'd need some wires and poo poo up in your nose to properly speak binary :3:

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Yeah, I thought that the grille was a vocalisation unit you use to make sweet white noise while trying to charm the dendrites off a cutie initiate or something.

I remember a bit of art where some guy with the Vostroyans has a grille that likely works as a loudspeaker.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

might be thinking of that one

I'm pretty sure scribes get a grille that print out what they're saying on a sheet of paper

JcDent
May 13, 2013

I'm a stinking liar: those were Valhallan ice warriors, the guy had a mesh mouth and wouldn't you know it, there's an admech grille there too.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

So are all these awful reviews of the binding on the Dark Heresy 2e core rulebook pretty much universal? I'd kinda like to buy it but I don't want that poo poo to fall apart after one reading, which it seems like was happening to a lot of people.

And do the other books suffer from that problem? I know it's not a FFG-specific thing, since I haven't had a single problem with any of their Star Wars RPG books.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Drone posted:

So are all these awful reviews of the binding on the Dark Heresy 2e core rulebook pretty much universal? I'd kinda like to buy it but I don't want that poo poo to fall apart after one reading, which it seems like was happening to a lot of people.

And do the other books suffer from that problem? I know it's not a FFG-specific thing, since I haven't had a single problem with any of their Star Wars RPG books.

My old DH1/Rogue trader spines are still in pretty outstanding shape after the last half decade or so. Granted I haven't opened them in a while except to reference stuff, but still.

You can also buy the books in PDF form pretty readily. It's surprisingly convenient if you've got a tablet to use with them.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

The binding on pretty much any sufficiently large RPG text like this seems to be poo poo. The same sort of thing has happened to my thick core books for DH2E, Black Crusade, Eclipse Phase, and L5R. Curiously, I also have actual academic textbooks that don't have this problem, so it's likely a result of various TRPG companies all using the same sketchy printing company.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

DeathSandwich posted:

You can also buy the books in PDF form pretty readily. It's surprisingly convenient if you've got a tablet to use with them.

Yeah but I really don't like using PDFs, even with my tablet. I feel like it's more cumbersome than flipping through an actual book, so I tend to prefer those.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

Drone posted:

My DH2 and Black Crusade bindings have both gone to poo poo. The supplements I have (all the tomes and Enemies within, without, beyond) have not had any such troubles. I bought my DH2 book at Gen Con when it came out, and the spine did deteriorate rather quick. My Black Crusade one took some time.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

Drone posted:

My DH2 had pages falling out when it arrived brand new before I even read it.

Enentol
Jul 16, 2005
Middle Class Gangster
I had a copy of the first print run that fell apart before I even read through it once. I emailed FFG and they replaced it for free. Furthermore, they waited a few extra weeks to wait for a copy from the second print run. It's been fine so far. They may have fixed their issues.

Like the others, all of the supplements have been fine.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
My presumably 1st printing DH2e book has a bad binding but I've heard they fixed the problem in subsequent printings.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

I got my DH2 copy a couple months ago and it seems solid, but it hasn't seen heavy use yet

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

ghetto wormhole posted:

My presumably 1st printing DH2e book has a bad binding but I've heard they fixed the problem in subsequent printings.

Yeah the binding on my 1st edition DH Core book has gone bad as well so I guess that was a thing with those books.
My DH2 core one still looks fine but I haven't flipped through it as much as the other one.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
Are the GM screens for Black Crusade, Only War, and Dave Heresy 2nd Ed. more or less interchangeable?

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

BC and DH2E's GM screens aren't quite interchangeable. Many of the personal combat details are similar, but DH2E's screen has more information on things that aren't just personal combat (vehicles, Fate Points, etc.).

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

So would you suggest getting the DH 2 GM screen and using that one for the others?

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Probably not. Each GM screen is designed to present rules summaries so that you won't need to look the common stuff up, but sufficiently many details have changed between even the newer sublines that you'd just get tripped up on the wrong details. Which system were you running (or asking about on another's behalf)?

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

I have all three systems, and hated having to constantly look up rules when I ran my Only War campaign. I was hoping there was one screen I could use for all of them.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

I solved that problem by meticulously and obsessively bookmarking the physical books with labeled post-its.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

make your own screen that contains the rules for all three systems

tower behind its bulk like a monstrous man-god, demanding -30 Tech Use tests from your players

alternatively just use the latest ruleset in each of the different settings you madman.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Are there simplified tables/checklist on how psyker powers work/activate in Rogue Trader? I have a hard time putting it all together in my mind and FFG is having a hard time putting it all in one place.

I'll appreciate other cheat sheets, too.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

By the way, can by starting Astropath character have mind probe and mind scan? I think I hosed up, but we're three sessions in :ohdear:

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Mind Probe, yes. Mind Scan, no, since Mind Scan requires Mind's Eye and Mind Probe as prerequisites and costs 300 xp rather than the 200 allowed for starting powers. Basically, you're one step further in the power tree than you should be as a starting character.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Two, I also have Scream. gently caress me I'm bad at reading rules.

EDIT: I talked to the GM and now I'm repicking my powers. However, the Psychic techniques bit at the start of Psy chapter states that I get two additional powers in addition to astro telepathy, and nothing about limits. gently caress, do I need to be rank 4 to get Mind Scan? Because that's the first Rank with 300 xp cost technique advancement.

Can Rank 1 psyker have only 5 powers total? Astrotelpathy, 2 starting powers and technique twice?

JcDent fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Apr 10, 2016

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
last night a dude in my group got 4 emperor's furies in a row.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

last night a dude in my group got 4 emperor's furies in a row.

I've done that in one attack. Dual wielding plus swift attack plus chain swords gives you a lot of opportunity.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Werix posted:

I've done that in one attack. Dual wielding plus swift attack plus chain swords gives you a lot of opportunity.

Yeah, tearing is actually much better than it appears at first glance.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Tearing + chain expertise or whatever that gives you an extra tearing die owns bones. I play a guardsman who's had ample opportunity to get power weapons stick with a best chainsword because it's just so good.

That said, we only select one tearing die to be eligible for a crit. I dunno if this is a house rule or not, but it seems reasonable since giving all three dice a chance to crit is pretty loving OP.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

do you only select one die to be eligible for a crit on weapons with multiple damage dice like e.g. the multimelta, lascannon?

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

do you only select one die to be eligible for a crit on weapons with multiple damage dice like e.g. the multimelta, lascannon?

Nope. If any of 'em roll a 10, you're good for RF.

Same goes for Tearing. Pretty sure it's working as intended.

apostateCourier fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Apr 12, 2016

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

Pharmaskittle posted:

Tearing + chain expertise or whatever that gives you an extra tearing die owns bones. I play a guardsman who's had ample opportunity to get power weapons stick with a best chainsword because it's just so good.

That said, we only select one tearing die to be eligible for a crit. I dunno if this is a house rule or not, but it seems reasonable since giving all three dice a chance to crit is pretty loving OP.

Well that makes sense, because you roll multiple dice and then keep the highest only. Obviously if you roll a RF that's the highest roll anyway, so you keep it. If they had Chain expertise/flesh render in DH 2 I would have been all over that. We actually had to come up with macros in Roll20 because of my attacks.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Nah the rule is only for tearing dice. Like I said, I dunno if it's even the real rule or not, but I'm fine with it since my guy is already the group's murder machine even without critting every other attack.

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!

Werix posted:

Well that makes sense, because you roll multiple dice and then keep the highest only. Obviously if you roll a RF that's the highest roll anyway, so you keep it. If they had Chain expertise/flesh render in DH 2 I would have been all over that. We actually had to come up with macros in Roll20 because of my attacks.

Speaking of, allow me to introduce the intrepid heroes of the False Light Crew, which has been keeping the Askellon sector safe for about a year and a half now.

Name: Arkem Audamer
Player: Elukka
Party Role: Medic, Adult Supervision
Battle Role: Grenadier/Finisher
Chimera Role: Passenger/gunner
Joined the Party: Founding Member
Bio: Arkhem Audamer is a minor noble from a planet that no one else in the party has ever heard of, apparently situated way out in the boonies of the galaxy. A personable fellow with a dashing mustache and a knack for getting information out of a crowded room. Arkhem was one of two acolytes sent to Desoleum for the titular "False Light of Octavicus" campaign, along with Daren "Reckless" Andser. Arkem is a level-headed party member that is extremely unfazed by the eldritch horrors that the party has had to confront over their time together. Despite having a powerful bolt pistol, his most potent weapon is his lasgun "Finisher," which earned its name by being the final blow against many tough opponents, including a Necron Lord. Often acts as the counterbalance in a party full of various sorts of fanatics, but somehow views Daren as "competent enough to handle things" which meant he stopped counting as adult supervision for the melee members of the party.
Source of Heresy: "I mean, I know the Emperor is there. But what has he really done for me?"

Name: Daren "Reckless" Andser
Player: professorcurly
Party Role: Living Chaos Detector, Knower of Bad poo poo
Battle Role: Pyromancer, Witch-hunter
Chimera Role: Owner, Tactical Prayer-Battery
Joined the Party: Founding Member
Bio: Daren Andser was an instructor of the Adeptus Astronomica, which means he was passed over as "not worthy" to join the Emperor as part of the Choir. He was recruited to head to Desoleum along with Arkem Audamer, as a warp-expert in case there was any chaos poo poo going down (Spoiler Warning: There was chaos poo poo going down). Is convinced that there must be some "higher purpose" to his life and that the Emperor is personally protecting him. There seems to be something to this, because every time an enemy has tried to shoot Daren was a plasma weapon, it has mysteriously malfunctioned. This also makes Daren exceedingly reckless, a nickname he earned by charging a major separatist armored column essentially alone. This was reinforced later when he invited the Royal Architect of the tomb world Olakia to a dinner party. The Royal Architect arrived and through the night told Daren essentially everything there was to know about Necrons. This probably makes Daren and Arkem literally the leading experts on Necrons among the entire human race. Walking up and asking the enemies what their plan is has since become his default method of investigation.
Source of Heresy: "Necrons? The Necrons were great! We had to do manual labor on Olakia, but they paid us a decent wage, we had a union representative and I even got religious holiday exemptions. Necrons, easily the most reasonable people we've ever met."

Name: Maximillian Stern
Player: Scribbleykins
Party Role: Adult Supervision, MacGyver
Battle Role: Sniper, Heavy Weapons
Chimera Role: Main Gunner
Joined the Party: A deep-plant in the Desoleum Arbites that was activated to help Arkem and Daren during the False Light of Octavicus incident.
Bio: Stern is a down to terra, straightforward thinking man. He was born on a forge world, rose up through the arbites and this gave him a very no-nonsense attitude. This means that he often acts as the voice of reason to the rest of the party, advising subtlety where the others are very much a kill team first. He typically leads investigations for the group, although the others have started following in his footsteps over time. He is the party scout, special weapons expert, heavy weapons expert, security expert, interrogation expert, linguistics - Stern is very much the "glue" that holds the team together, able to cover the roles that mores specialized party members can't. He has killed a Daemonhost with an autogun and headshot a demonic Knight-Titan with the party chimera's autocannon. He acts as the main foil to Daren, whose faith and loyalty only just balance out the psyker's heterodox beliefs about the Alien and heresies. He does have some acquired knowledge of the Machine Cult's secrets though, and this has caused some recent tension in the party...
Source of Heresy: None. When the rest of us inevitably fall, it will be Stern who hunts us down one by one.

Name: Lieutenant Major Grayson Macavoy
Player: Werix
Party Role: Why the most charming murder-berserker you ever did meet/Party Face, become something of the mastermind
Battle Role: Blender
Chimera Role: Driver/Three-fast-three-serious/"I'm driving closer, I want to hit them with my sword!"
Joined the Party: After our misadventure with the Necrons and Necron-loving Heretek Fabricators
Bio: Grayson is nothing if not inspirational. Time and again he ordered his men over the top, leading the charge with both chainswords revving. His heroics quickly moved him up the ranks, but equally quickly stalled his promotions - "fix bayonets, CHARGE!" being the sum total of his tactical planning. His men still loved him, but when he caught some shrapnel during one of his glorious charges he was quietly mustered out of the guard - early retirement, as thanks for his service. But that kind of talent can't be let to go to waste, and so the Inquisition picked him up. He quickly meshed with Daren Andser, strangely, given that the Major is given to extreme hatred of mutants, aliens, psykers and many other things. Together they are a deadly pair able to defeat extremely powerful foes through teamwork - though Grayson is by far the more accomplished duelist. He has acted as the face of the party since he arrived, charming his way past the outer defenses so that he and the crew can more easily chainsword the important bits to the face. Friends with Stern as well, for his sheer competence and orthodox beliefs.
Source of Heresy: "Blend for the Blend God!"

Name: Tearrial Harmon
Player: Prozest
Party Role: Techpriest/Shuttle Pilot
Battle Role: Murder.exe engaged, loading jetpack subroutine...
Chimera Role: Inter-vehicular ballistic missile
Joined the Party: After our misadventure with the Necrons and Necron-loving Heretek Fabricators
Bio: Officially joined the group through the new Imperial-Mechanicus inter-faith exchange program, in reality it was probably because after being in over our heads in mechanicus bullshit for so long it was felt we needed an expert. Tearrial has served admirably as our tech-expert, but a recent string of bad luck has called this position into question and started a significant rivalry between Harmon and Stern. He carries an Omnissian Power Axe, and so introduces himself as a Magos but in reality the airquotes around the word "magos" can be seen from space for several reasons, not the least of which is that he was given the Omnissian Axe by Daren, who took it off a dead heretek fabricator who had tried to turn himself into a necron lord. Leaving that aside, Tearrial has proven vitally useful for many tasks such as keeping our vehicles running and stealing a shuttle for us out of midair, as well as providing evidence through his automated recording functions. Manages to be even more reckless and invincible than Daren, although not because of the Emperor's Grace/Luck but through sheer superiority of the machine over the flesh. Once jumped in front of a moving technical to try and axe it, and instead took the truck hitting him in the chest full on. Ten meters of grinding metal later, the truck stopped and Tearrial engaged murder.exe.
Source of Heresy: Saving video and pictures of chaos texts/arcane scripts directly to his "external" hard drive.

The whole crew together:

Projects to be completed:
The "Not-Inquisition Flower Delivery Service" Chimera

Also, an example of how things tend to go from the thread:
Elukka: I like how the only time Arkem has had the opportunity to have a frank discussion about how the universe works and his doubts about the Imperium is with a Necron. That we invited to a party. Yeah.
Scribbleyins: Cue Stern: "You did WHAT?"
professorcurly: They call him Daren "Reckless Dinner Party" Andser for a reason.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
What would be mechanically better, dual-wielding chainswords/eventually power swords or waiting for a mechanicus axe.
I'm a techpriest specializing in melee. 25 ranged, don't even suggest anything. Except for a flamer, I guess.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

What would be mechanically better, dual-wielding chainswords/eventually power swords or waiting for a mechanicus axe.
I'm a techpriest specializing in melee. 25 ranged, don't even suggest anything. Except for a flamer, I guess.

professor_curly posted:

Name: Lieutenant Major Grayson Macavoy
Player: Werix
Party Role: Why the most charming murder-berserker you ever did meet/Party Face, become something of the mastermind
Battle Role: Blender
Chimera Role: Driver/Three-fast-three-serious/"I'm driving closer, I want to hit them with my sword!"
Bio: Grayson is nothing if not inspirational. Time and again he ordered his men over the top, leading the charge with both chainswords revving. His heroics quickly moved him up the ranks, but equally quickly stalled his promotions - "fix bayonets, CHARGE!" being the sum total of his tactical planning. His men still loved him, but when he caught some shrapnel during one of his glorious charges he was quietly mustered out of the guard - early retirement, as thanks for his service. But that kind of talent can't be let to go to waste, and so the Inquisition picked him up. He quickly meshed with Daren Andser, strangely, given that the Major is given to extreme hatred of mutants, aliens, psykers and many other things. Together they are a deadly pair able to defeat extremely powerful foes through teamwork - though Grayson is by far the more accomplished duelist. He has acted as the face of the party since he arrived, charming his way past the outer defenses so that he and the crew can more easily chainsword the important bits to the face. Friends with Stern as well, for his sheer competence and orthodox beliefs.
Source of Heresy: "Blend for the Blend God!"

You have my answer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
Dual power fists.