Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IBlameRoadSuess
Feb 20, 2012

Fucking technology...

At least I HAVE THIS!

dscruffy1 posted:

Airship ho! The world map is really open to us now, normally we only get the airship closer to the end of the game.

Stagg Airlines/Polsy

New stories: Lab Rat

That first goon you hit with the fear takedown in the predator encounter going to space was amazing. His planet needed him. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

No Gravitas posted:

Kinda funny. Batman scans the fingerprint scanner with his own hand. Well, let's hope that access logs don't show Bruce Wayne on the blimp!

How wopuld that work? He's wearing thick gloves.

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)

Air is lava! posted:

How wopuld that work? He's wearing thick gloves.

That's, er, a good question, although more of a nit to pick, because the question then becomes: Well, how the hell do they work everywhere else? We sorta see an attempt at an answer with the glowies... I'm assuming it's actually some form of micromould plastic, allowing him to mimick prints, but, let's face it, it's a glowie, because it's doing f-ing magic.

Anyways, that crate section didn't seem to outstay its welcome, although I'm guessing it still has a role to play, but once again, the Gotham Universe is really bad with passwords and encryption keys. I understand why (Same reason as the gloves thing: An abstraction for game purposes. KEY GET [Zelda Music]! ), but it doesn't fail to make me alternately chuckle and/or groan.

Also, silly Joker! "I'm not trying to kill you, just your mind!" Which, er... Wasn't nerve chemistry and neurology sort of your thing, Joker? That was a silly mistake to make! :haw:

EDIT: Actually, let's go into this a teeny bit more, and say that I don't actually have a problem with either, because any form of techno wizardry in a game that isn't entirely devoted to techno wizardry is either going to seem hella arbitrary until you work out the rules, piss you off because it keeps feeling the need to explain those rules, is going to be entirely bypassed with a timer, or is going to make the security in that universe seem just plain bad.

System Shock had hacking minigames. They were, apart from cyberspace, kinda trash (And CyberSpace was not great either.) Hey, do the lights puzzle, or a wire puzzle! D'okay! Bioshock had, er... Pipemania. Alpha Protocol's was alright, but made your eyes bleed after about the third level of difficulty or so. And AvP had "Run a Bypass, Frosty!" [stands for fifteen seconds looking at a glowy thing or a burny thing.]

Even Arkham Knight does this. Hey, let's play the lockpicking game, combined with "Guess the thematic word!" as your hint. Let's do a detective thing! Let's just wave our magic bracelet and make the drone shoot people, or the place tilt! And... That's not really a bad thing.

There's not really a good way to portray hacking in a game that isn't devoted to it, because most of the time, it either requires somebody being an idiot, you keeping up with system/program documents and loving around, or tricking somebody/something into telling you what you need to know. After you've gotten in, as it were, the biggest obstacle is doing a thing without being noticed, or getting the next password or exploit in line. Making that exciting without it over-riding things, becoming a core element? That can be tough.

JamieTheD fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Mar 26, 2016

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

No Gravitas posted:

Kinda funny. Batman scans the fingerprint scanner with his own hand. Well, let's hope that access logs don't show Bruce Wayne on the blimp!

He has fake fingerprints on his gloves. Probably Clark Kent's.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
I rolled my eyes pretty hard at the whole Joker as a hallucination idea when I heard it but so far it's practically been the highlight of the game.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
I really liked the Joker hallucination Scarecrow gas fakeout, even if it's a little hard to work out what happened in the real world.

And really, Batman should use a gas mask of some sort. Maybe he doesn't wanna rob the world of that perfect jawline.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

I too missed the hacking minigame. I love how every single person in Gotham is awful at passwords.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!

CuwiKhons posted:

I too missed the hacking minigame. I love how every single person in Gotham is awful at passwords.
And how can we forget the wonderful password [DEADPARENTS]? :allears:

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Notes:

There are signs something was cut involving the airship turrets. Bruce's narrative to himself during the turret-firing cutscene contradicts Alfred's earlier comment about turret controls.

Alex Sartorius, from the Lab Rats story we unlocked, is the alter-ego of Doctor Phosphorous, a fairly obscure Batman villain.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Mar 26, 2016

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

The roach crates around the ship are the worst collectables to find and get in the entire series, in my opinion.

Also weirdly enough the fake fingerprint gloves batman has don't seem as farfetched as son of his other gadgets.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

I really liked the Joker hallucination Scarecrow gas fakeout, even if it's a little hard to work out what happened in the real world.

And really, Batman should use a gas mask of some sort. Maybe he doesn't wanna rob the world of that perfect jawline.
This version of the fear gas isn't stopped by gas masks so it wouldn't help.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Do they ever say how the gas works? What kind of gas goes through every possible gas mask type?

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

One with very small molecules, not much bigger than a diatomic one. We've seen Oracle look at its structure, it's loving huge. (It could also be brutally aggressive on the filters but then it would simply be a corrosive gas.) Alternately one that works through the skin and would get stopped by a gas mask and a sealed suit. I'm going to place a special mention for one that's just radioactive in the right ways to also get through a sealed suit.

Basically comics science.

SIGSEGV fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Mar 27, 2016

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

Iretep posted:

Do they ever say how the gas works? What kind of gas goes through every possible gas mask type?

Presumably it can be absorbed through the skin, which still doesn't explain why Batman can't get a NBC Batsuit. Otherwise it's probably some kind of nonsensical comic book science.

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice
I think it's funny the thread was discussing Origin's corpses as decoration thing right before this video, which has a whole bunch of dead scientists just laying around everywhere.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

Iretep posted:

The loving magical kind. The same guard who said it can go through gas masks also says that the only way to escape it was to get either underground or high above it. So it's simultaneously too heavy to rise but too lightweight to drop in to the sewers??

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Oblivion4568238 posted:

I think it's funny the thread was discussing Origin's corpses as decoration thing right before this video, which has a whole bunch of dead scientists just laying around everywhere.

Videogame scientists are the most expendable people in the world, outside of love interests.

It's not like scientists represent like a decade or more of heavy and expensive training and investment, just throw those guys away.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10

CuwiKhons posted:

The loving magical kind. The same guard who said it can go through gas masks also says that the only way to escape it was to get either underground or high above it. So it's simultaneously too heavy to rise but too lightweight to drop in to the sewers??

It's probably just slightly lighter than air and rises very slowly, then decays or disperses enough before a certain altitude to be "safe".

I have no idea if this is actually scientifically possible, but it's the first explanation that popped to mind.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

That goes in direct conflict with it being able to spread over the entire east coast from ace chemical. Either that or the blast was a fast overpressure thing rather than a slow diffusion thing that would get messed around with by the wind in which case a bunch of nukes might have been preferable.

Comic book science, again.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Oblivion4568238 posted:

I mean, yeah, we've got some corpses here, and there were corpses lying around in Arkham Asylum too, but it's not even in the same ballpark as Origins. I think when I did a count some single rooms in Origins had more than 40 corpses in them.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Felinoid posted:

It's probably just slightly lighter than air and rises very slowly, then decays or disperses enough before a certain altitude to be "safe".

I have no idea if this is actually scientifically possible, but it's the first explanation that popped to mind.

It isn't, but you've still put about ten times the effort into thinking about this than the writers did.

Honestly comic book science doesn't really bother me that much, it's inconsistency that's annoying. If you set up Batman as having a magic blue syringe that can entirely reverse the effects of a recent bullet wound, I'm ok with that. What I won't be ok with is if some other character gets shot right in front of Batman later tonight, and we have to just pretend that the magic syringe doesn't exist anymore. (I haven't seen the game so this is speculation, please nobody make a comment that gives away whether or not this actually happens).

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I remember not thinking very much of the airship part of the game. I don't particularly know why either, I just don't feel like it worked all that well. Any time the game pulls the "Things change as you spin the camera" move, I love it. That was a neat scene.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

SIGSEGV posted:

One with very small molecules, not much bigger than a diatomic one. We've seen Oracle look at its structure, it's loving huge. (It could also be brutally aggressive on the filters but then it would simply be a corrosive gas.) Alternately one that works through the skin and would get stopped by a gas mask and a sealed suit. I'm going to place a special mention for one that's just radioactive in the right ways to also get through a sealed suit.

Basically comics science.
Dimethylmercury goes through a lot of things, this could be explained away by saying the Knight equipped his army before getting the final specs on the new gas by Scarecrow and so brought the wrong kind of gas mask which he can't afford to change because he blew all his money on tanks, which is the same reason only half his army has guns.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

So Batman starts freaking out mid-sentence in his conversation with Stagg, the militia waltz over and kidnap him, and decide to leave Batman alone?

Mmkay.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Doctor Reynolds posted:

So Batman starts freaking out mid-sentence in his conversation with Stagg, the militia waltz over and kidnap him, and decide to leave Batman alone?

Mmkay.

No but don't you see they want to destroy him and shooting him would be too easy except all the gameplay segments where they will shoot him.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Doctor Reynolds posted:

Mmkay.

Batman starts going crazy like a chimpanzee, throwing himself around the room, mid-sentence in his conversation with Stagg and the militia barely manage to kidnap him without being caught in the whirlwind of punches and kicks that's happening in the room.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
That does basically explain why nobody tried anything.
"Should we, like..get him or"
"gently caress, no. It was bad enough when he was just dressed as a bat now he's beating the living poo poo out of air. We aren't paid enough for that level of crazy."

SirDan3k fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Mar 27, 2016

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

SirDan3k posted:

"Yeah Cody, you be the big man and subdue the Batman so we can take him with us, please by all means go ahead and show us how it's done. Get in there and subdue the guy going to town on that bulletproof glass over there."
"Aaaaarghhhh! Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!"
"Yeah okay, let's just go."

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

SirDan3k posted:

"gently caress, no. It was bad enough when he was just dressed as a bat now he's beating the living poo poo out of air. We aren't paid enough for that level of crazy."

Yes, this is an acceptable explanation. "Oh thank gently caress our orders are only to grab the scientist."

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

SirDan3k posted:

Suppressive fire, but with fists.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I like to imagine while all this was going on Batman was screaming like those headless bomb dudes from Serious Sam.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

RareAcumen posted:

"Yeah Cody, you be the big man and subdue the Batman so we can take him with us, please by all means go ahead and show us how it's done. Get in there and subdue the guy going to town on that bulletproof glass over there."
"Aaaaarghhhh! Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!"
"Yeah okay, let's just go."

I'm just going to go ahead and assume this is the actual reason. :allears:

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

The only payoff worth the jokerjacking of this game's plot at an unprecedented three levels is if, at post-game, Bruce just pilots the airship into the deep, blue ocean to the tune of the mountain goats, no children.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

hard counter posted:

The only payoff worth the jokerjacking of this game's plot at an unprecedented three levels is if, at post-game, Bruce just pilots the airship into the deep, blue ocean to the tune of the mountain goats, no children.

I desperately want this to happen now.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
I got the feeling that the room was filled with Fear Gas, which is why he snapped like that.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

IBlameRoadSuess posted:

That first goon you hit with the fear takedown in the predator encounter going to space was amazing. His planet needed him. :allears:

I thought I imagined that, but yes he flies to the loving moon.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
I'm so glad other people saw that. It was beautiful. Physics engine hated that goon in particular.

Also,

hard counter posted:

Perfection. If only more games did the Metal Gear Solid extra comedy scene shorts.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
The airship really suffers from the idea of "every area has to have the same amount of challenges/trophies". It's completely packed with these things because it's so tiny.
Also gently caress whoever placed the last cage. Whichever the last cage you find is; I spent hours running around this thing.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Asehujiko posted:

Dimethylmercury goes through a lot of things, this could be explained away by saying the Knight equipped his army before getting the final specs on the new gas by Scarecrow and so brought the wrong kind of gas mask which he can't afford to change because he blew all his money on tanks, which is the same reason only half his army has guns.

Yeah, dimethylmercury is vicious but it passes through lots of materials because, IIRC, it methylates them which is the same reason it is so toxic when it reaches the body. I'll shove it under the corrosive excuse in this case but I forgot about that vicious abomination.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
One thing that made me laugh - Batman just spent 10 minutes rocking that airship back and forth like it was a small boat in rough seas and yet none of the militia seemed the slightest bit suspicious.

• Locked thread