Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
It would behoove you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
oh gently caress "glide path"

someone brought that term over to usarec and made it basically an official word in my BN, though I suspect Brigade. The COL who claims that he "built rakkasans gym" or something like that

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

Teflon Don posted:

Never heard this one once air assault. You made it up stands alone.

Nope some army dick-lovin' O4 used it all the time in 4-320th as the S3. And when we went to the field he wore this hosed up kit belt that was like 6" tall and covered in gadgets including a giant bowie knife, air assault rigging carabiner looking crap, etc. He was super chill when he found out I was PCSing, though. No just kidding, he locked me up during a field exercise and screamed in my face for leaving that piece of poo poo unit even though he knew it was my plan from day one. Fucker tried to get me to stay with the unit for a deployment rather than PCS for training.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Oh, the balls of the eagle (it is a testicles joke get it?)

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Zeris posted:

Nope some army dick-lovin' O4 used it all the time in 4-320th as the S3. And when we went to the field he wore this hosed up kit belt that was like 6" tall and covered in gadgets including a giant bowie knife, air assault rigging carabiner looking crap, etc. He was super chill when he found out I was PCSing, though. No just kidding, he locked me up during a field exercise and screamed in my face for leaving that piece of poo poo unit even though he knew it was my plan from day one. Fucker tried to get me to stay with the unit for a deployment rather than PCS for training.

I've heard glide path used quite a bit in the civilian world by project managers. So equally as buzzwordy and dumb.

11b1p
Feb 5, 2008

This picture is worth 20 words or something.

Teflon Don posted:

It would behoove you

Even better is when it becomes, "It would be hooah of you"

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

Teflon Don posted:

It would behoove you

Oh gently caress you. Thanks for that loving flashback.

Dick

Triggs
Nov 23, 2005

Tango Down!
Glide path is originally an aviation term

My immediate boss quotes directly from ADRP 3-0 and loves the term 'shared understanding', its the most infuriating thing ever

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Everytime a LTC and up comes to talk to us they use almost nothing but doctrine speak and consequently I can't remember a thing any of them have ever talked about. Well, except when LTG Thomas talked to us about how "business is good."

I always swore to never use "tracking" but somehow it works its way into my vocabulary every once in a while. Generally I try to talk like a normal person just laced with far too much profanity.

Obstacle2
Dec 21, 2004
feels good man

Teflon Don posted:

It would behoove you

This thread has become massively triggering again.

I think the worse trend in army speak would be when people used radio protocol in regular speech, over

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

Obstacle2 posted:

This thread has become massively triggering again.

I think the worse trend in army speak would be when people used radio protocol in regular speech, over

COPY THAT 6, SORRY FOR THE TRIGGERING DERAIL AGAIN, OVER OUT AND OUT ROGER WILCO REPEAT REPEAT

loving people that get mad about "repeat" like there is a battery of paladins just listening in on your platoon net, ready to fire a barrage

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Mustang posted:

Generally I try to talk like a normal person just laced with far too much profanity.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
in a crowded theatre briefing with 1000 soldiers, you hear a single faint beep from a phone, somewhere.

Followed by a long and loud 60 decibel sigh.....

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
somewhere else in the army, a field grade officer is getting his daily brief that has been dragging on 45 minutes too long

his phone rings

"heh GUYS you'll have to excuse me....its household six"

this is followed by a polite chuckle

the door shuts behind the colonel, one of the junior officers considers slamming his head down on the table, but reconsiders, because he would hate to not get invited to go to the colonels house later in the year, and suck his dick

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
its sergeants time training, and you've been tasked with the dummy grenade training. This is a big deal because maybe the post commander??? would see it and think we're high speed. Better get told to be there 4 hours early to lay down a circle of engineer tape for you "range"

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
Everyone hates big brigade morale runs, even the guy leading it. the "morale" gained is feeling his cock head rub on his pt shorts, while tripping on the most petty illusion of power

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
gonna put these guys on lockdown for the month

but why????

its good training :smug:

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

What happened to that Drum unit on lockdown? XO commit seppuku?

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Similarly, guessing someones life on Benning sucks right now, M4 was lost during an EIB lane and there's still wanted posters for it. Apparently it wasn't reported missing until several days had passed.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Mustang posted:

Similarly, guessing someones life on Benning sucks right now, M4 was lost during an EIB lane and there's still wanted posters for it. Apparently it wasn't reported missing until several days had passed.

Sometimes I wonder if GIP was talking about the time we lost an M4 at Pickett in 2011

Can't wait till they get the ATF/feds involved in that one! Get hosed for still being in! Get hosed for being tangentially related to the person who lost A Thing so you are equally as culpable! They can't rule out that Every Single Person is a criminal who stole that M4.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
no one outside of a CGO is worried about a missing m4 dude

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I was responsible for a lost m203 that ultimately just ended up with some slaps on the wrist for everyone involved, me getting trumped at mast in front of the rest of the gang, and I had to send one or two emails off the ship with some forms.

Turns out you can lose a lot of weapons and unless it's a routine thing or a lot of high explosives go missing (lol seals) no one really seems to care.

Triggs
Nov 23, 2005

Tango Down!
Please explain how you lose a m203

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

Mr. Nice! posted:

I was responsible for a lost m203

:dogbutton:

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Mr. Nice! posted:

I was responsible for a lost m203

How did you even survive

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I didn't personally lose it. My guys couldn't find it one day and brought me the inventory report like it was there and I never went and checked them all by serial number because I was lazy and doing other things. Most likely an outgoing :chiefsay: took it with him. We get into deployment and a new chief and I are doing inventory and we come up one short. Couldnt find it anywhere on the ship.

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Mar 25, 2016

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
They lost an ASIPS on a jump up in Alaska a little while back. Dude didn't have it tied off, and that thing hit the muskeg at terminal velocity so hard it buried itself too deep for them to find. They looked for a couple days, but they gave up after not too long. Sucks for the guy that lost it, lost a rank or two. It's still out there somewhere.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Trigger warning that poo poo :cry:

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
I lost my firing pin when cleaning my weapon at the range during basic, I told the ds it didnt have one though since it was our first range and he believed me and I got no punishment. I also had a CO in another company in my old BN who lost like a $2 million helicopter part and they only found out about it during his change of command sign over.

Fucitol
May 8, 2005

Ceterum autem censeo mundum esse delendam

Memento, homo, quia pulvis es, et in pulverem reverteris
i'm still doing a hands across the desert to find my dignity and my brain

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby
Fuckers in my bn borrowed a Scope when they went to NTC and forgot to tell my supply sgt. I did a 100% inventory for the change of command and it turned up missing. Of course they couldn't do a shakedown while in the box but the paperwork showed up pretty quickly once we realized they "borrowed" our night vision scope...

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

White Chocolate posted:

Of course they couldn't do a shakedown while in the box
lol

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

gmrfrlife posted:

Q: - Were you in a combat unit or some other type?
A: The term is "Combat Arms". An Artillery or Infantry unit is Combat Arms. Their sole purpose to exist is to kill something. I was in an Engineer unit. We had people that were Combat Engineers (Imagine Infantry with C-4) and we also had carpenters. So we had other reasons to exist than killing things.

Q: - Any general thoughts on the overall quality of leadership? Would you have been confident being lead by your officers in a combat deployment?
A: I have been on combat deployments. Once the commander of my unit was fired for sexual harassment. A Lieutenant was left at home because he didn't agree with the commander that later got fired. If an officer is not doing what he is supposed to do he gets replaced. It isn't the enlisted that decides when and if that happens. But the enlisted will point out an issue.

Q: - As a group, how did the West Point officers you came into contact with compare to other officers - typically better, typically worse, or more or less the same?
A: Once a "pointer" leaves college and is in the Army no one cares where he went to school. West point officers are treated like everyone else.

Q: - Any general thoughts on the overall quality of the enlisted soldiers? Would you have been confident having to rely on them in a combat deployment?
A: The dirt bags deal with the same deployment just like everyone else.

Q: - Does the training cover what you actually wind up doing (e.g., do you get rained for combat then wind up doing civil affairs, etc)?
A: You don't know what you are going to be doing until you are deployed. You could be Infantry doing security on convoys or a MP sitting in a base tower.

Q: - Is the Army sufficiently resourced for what it is doing? Do we need more or better soldiers or equipment, are we about OK or are we over resourced?
A: You don't know what you need until you arrive so you try and bring everything you have. I had one bag I never opened because it was all winter stuff and I was in the mountains of Afghanistan in the summer time.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
lol @ west pointers being treated like everyone else

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Career E-6 with 2 pity promotions spotted

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
"pointers"

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Well West Point is for bitches so....

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
Bitches get stitches.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

no one outside of a CGO is worried about a missing m4 dude

I wish, when we lost our M4 the ATF was going to investigate since Pickett is so close to the state line that it somehow became a potential interstate/federal crime. I guess the circumstances behind its disappearance was the reason why: it was straight up stolen out of the longhouse, not misplaced.

What ended up happening was some Marines who were also there for training stole it as a "heh fuckin' army!!!!" prank, but they got scared shitless when they realized that the Army wouldn't just laugh it off like some sort of fraternity rivalship so they planted it in some rusty locker in the woods and played dumb. Fuckers still stole the aimpoint off it, that was never recovered.

Justin Tyme fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Mar 26, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

To be fair, most of what he's saying is spot on with the exception of number 2.

• Locked thread