Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

So It Goes posted:

The old man at the end before the final boss pretty much lays out the entirety of the story. He was Jarot, the king of storms, prayed for stuff and the "nameless" god did the classic trope of granting him power and all of that while condemning him to a lifetime of purgatorial existence in the island. The nameless makes it clear he claims things he desires and lusts for power and just all around acts like a complete poo poo heel. People get ship wrecked on the island from the god's influence who then "consumes" them and makes them kneel or whatever. The NPC dialogue throughout makes it clear that the areas on the island are transposed from other real-world places and their memories get hosed with down to their original missions potentially being facades (like the princess and the thief's nobleman). Not sure why you bring up the architect, she just seems like a boss figure just like the untouched inquisitor or dried king or whatever, a powerful figure from the real world transposed to the island, apparently she is the sister of the witch of the lake.

The Architect struck me as more important than the others. The game revolves around salt, and she can manipulate it. She created the entire ocean. I guess in the end she was just another person manipulated by the nameless god. What exactly do you think they meant by the nameless god desired to be born of the light?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011

Megasabin posted:

The Architect struck me as more important than the others. The game revolves around salt, and she can manipulate it. She created the entire ocean. I guess in the end she was just another person manipulated by the nameless god. What exactly do you think they meant by the nameless god desired to be born of the light?

Sounds like standard, the only thing Gods can't have is to be mortal/human and thus they have a perverse desire for it sthick. Bloodborne was pretty similar in following that trope.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
Are there places to find a shimmering pearl other than the prologue boss and farming crypt keepers?

Analogi
Mar 31, 2011

What the duck?

ultrachrist posted:

Are there places to find a shimmering pearl other than the prologue boss and farming crypt keepers?

There's 1 before and after the forgotten king fight that's found by entering the doorway on bottom left corner of crypt of gods.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Megasabin posted:

The line about the villain seeking to be born of light is a bit strange, but the old man lays it out.

Humans in this world are born of salt, and this appears to be a somewhat eternal existence; it appears that death isn't strictly permenant for a regular human being like your character. That's why the clerics can revive you, one surmises. You meet one Candlelit, who appears to be born of light. She says her existence is ephemeral and doomed to fade; in the context of the game, she appears to be an angel or something like an angel, a being of a higher power. The Nameless God is not a God at all; like you, he is Saltborn, and doomed to an eternal existence, a half-life that won't end, but won't ever develop into anything either. In other words, he's the player character--a video game character. He is you, but a you who did this earlier. The true God appears to be the helmet that you can choose at the end; this may simply be the key to controlling the island's power, and it may be that the island itself is truly the power behind the Nameless God. I suspect the island is more a conduit, a means of channeling great power.

As for all the individual entities and locations, presumably all of these lands have been "consumed" at this point. The world is eternally at war, wars seemingly sustained by the Nameless God. Since the mission you are sent on appears to be false, and you never find the princess, presumably the Nameless God is manipulating all of these conflicts in order to bring more nations to ruin, bring more powerful beings and artifacts and locations to his domain. Contrast him to, say, Flowey, in Undertale; he's playing a game within the game in much the same way. Like you, he wants to collect all the loot, get all the skills, all the weapons...he wants every material aspect of life, but it's ultimately useless to him once he has it. He's become obsessively greedy.

The Architect may play a more important role than the others, but in truth none of the entities you encounter on the island "serve" the Nameless God in any way. Most of them seem unlikely to be aware that they aren't where their locations are originally from. This island is essentially purgatory, so the people you meet have likely "died" in some sense outside, just like you did.

The game suggests that all life begins and ends with the sea, and you are born of salt from the ocean. The Architect harnesses that power and disrupts the balance of life and death; perhaps she's responsible for the island's existence, perhaps not. It's unknown and likely not really important. The Architect is just the most influential of the entities on the island, but she is as much a prisoner here as you are, released only through death.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008

Analogi posted:

There's 1 before and after the forgotten king fight that's found by entering the doorway on bottom left corner of crypt of gods.

I literally just found that first one after cashing in my hoard of salt and fully upgrading my lv 3 greataxe thinking I'd never see one to make the lv 5 version. Argggh

Analogi
Mar 31, 2011

What the duck?

ultrachrist posted:

I literally just found that first one after cashing in my hoard of salt and fully upgrading my lv 3 greataxe thinking I'd never see one to make the lv 5 version. Argggh

Well on the plus side you saved 90,000 salt for leveling since that 100,000 is bit unreasonable on the first game cycle.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
Actually, from the optional boss's salt, plus all the salt items I had stashed, plus blowing all my gold on salt pouches, I was 10k short from the transmuting the rank 5 greataxe, which I farmed and completed. Then killed the final boss in half a dozen hits. As people have said, the end of the game is very untuned. And I'm still annoyed that it's seemingly impossible to wear the entirety of the titan set you find early in the game and still be able to move. I wore the Sodden Knight's breastplate the whole game as a result.

Pretty solid game. I'm going to wrap up the last couple trophies and think it over some more.

I think it's pretty funny (ending spoiler) if you're the atheist creed and choose to take the helmet, the poem at the end starts with "superstition" and the hero willfully disbelieving any of the possible godly/supernatural things he's seen the whole game.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

ultrachrist posted:

Actually, from the optional boss's salt, plus all the salt items I had stashed, plus blowing all my gold on salt pouches, I was 10k short from the transmuting the rank 5 greataxe, which I farmed and completed. Then killed the final boss in half a dozen hits. As people have said, the end of the game is very untuned. And I'm still annoyed that it's seemingly impossible to wear the entirety of the titan set you find early in the game and still be able to move. I wore the Sodden Knight's breastplate the whole game as a result.

Pretty solid game. I'm going to wrap up the last couple trophies and think it over some more.

I think it's pretty funny (ending spoiler) if you're the atheist creed and choose to take the helmet, the poem at the end starts with "superstition" and the hero willfully disbelieving any of the possible godly/supernatural things he's seen the whole game.

The Doppelsoldner's Set is pretty darn awesome though, it has great resistance in everything and isn't overwhelmingly heavy either.

Unlike Souls, though, you can't just pump up a ton of endurance to carry whatever you want with your first thirty levels, so weight limits feel more restrictive overall.

Cainer
May 8, 2008
Patch just dropped, making the hud bigger is nice. Bit of an odd issue though, now only the first spell in my quick spell inventory thing will actually show up. Not sure what's going on there.
Edit: Ok they are still there but it won't show up, the icon is whatever is next in line. Very odd.

Cainer fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Mar 25, 2016

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!

ultrachrist posted:

After finishing the game a few minutes ago, I think I agree with you completely.

It's a fun game, definitely a great start to the series if there is one, but holy gently caress were the bosses too easy. Seriously, if you're having problems with any of them, doesn't matter which, just push strength, get a fat loving 2 hander and run at them swinging. They just crumple.

Also I agree that the quality really dropped off as far as level design goes right around the lake. It went from these huge, awesome labyrinths to "run in a line, okay fight another bad boss" until the end. Another thing that bothers me is weapon imbalance. There's really no reason for about 95% of the weapons to exist. The movesets are exactly the same among weapon classes, which was really a bummer.

Oh well, still a really fun game. With more time to refine, it (meaning: the sequel) could really be special.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

At the risk of sounding like a complete idiot, what's this helmet at the end of the game. I didn't see anything and just jumped down the well.

NG+ is not fun at all and I feel like I have hit a dead end with no room to grow without just building toward something completely different. The rank 4 halberd does more damage than the rank 5 one for some reason, and no other dexterity weapons I've found do close to as much damage except for the pistol. So I have a maxed rank 5 pistol and maxed rank 4 halberd, but nothing else with dexterity seems able to compare. Bows are pitifully weak and not worth the investment, and almost all the rank 5 weapons (including many rank 4s) in other weapon classes like spears and swords have a dual requirement with magic or wisdom so they're off the table. I'm hitting for like a third of the damage I was in NG relative to enemy health, while I feel like there's nowhere to go from here.

Also in bandits' pass, one of the giant rat things just ran by me, several screens to the left, into the sanctuary, and mauled the guide to death :psyduck: Another guide just ran in as if nothing had happened and I could still talk to the spot where the first guide used to be before the new one arrived.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
Response to your spoiler:

There's a power-mad scarecrow you meet several times during the game. At the end, if you jump past the well, he's sitting there. You can press circle and choose "take helmet" and you rip off his head and stick it on your own. Then you become the scarecrow and the new god of the island and you get a different poem at the end. It also means you start NG+ with a new set of nameless god armor.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
It's kind of weird that my class 4 greatsword does more damage does more damage than the class 5 i can trasmute it to. Am I missing something?

Also I beat the game and can now say it is 100% rad. It's the only thing preventing me from importing Dark Souls 3 at the moment.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

EC posted:

It's kind of weird that my class 4 greatsword does more damage does more damage than the class 5 i can trasmute it to. Am I missing something?

Also I beat the game and can now say it is 100% rad. It's the only thing preventing me from importing Dark Souls 3 at the moment.

Some weapons have extra effects, like the Trinity Greatsword has life leech and swings extra fast. The Blade of Envy just seems bad though.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Tips and general encouragement? I beat the umm.. Forgotten? (Ghosts and Axe) and I feel like the game offered almost TOO MANY directions. Pitch woods with Unicorn things that one hit me... The Witch of the Lake, a couple other directions...

I'm like level 75 and have a Headtaker V Greataxe and that cool Samurai Armor. I got pretty hosed up on my first Witch attempt.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
The Witch is the "main" path that leads towards the end of the game. Pitchwoods is optional, with a boss and creed and annoying platforming. Witch is maybe the hardest boss in the game, so it's normal to get blasted dead your first few times. You could probably do upgrade to a better weapon, but the headtaker is prob fine (I was using a rank 3 greataxe I bought from a blacksmith at that point).

Toiwat
Sep 6, 2011

So do I have to kill the DIsemboweled Husk or can it go suck a dick?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Well, that was an anticlimax. I was all ready to have my grand showdown with the final boss, and then he threw the fight by glitching me into a wall, from where I could hit him but the only way he could hit me back was his weak magic attack. Thanks I guess!

Really great game regardless.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Toiwat posted:

So do I have to kill the DIsemboweled Husk or can it go suck a dick?

You do have to kill it but you could go to the right through the dome instead of left through hager's cavern and come back when you're more powerful.

NT Plus
Nov 30, 2011

Kid just rages for a while.
Started playing this game after beating Bloodborne and to be honest I feel a little buyers remorse. None of the game after reaching... whatever this wooded area is called seems fun. I just died to a jelly and killed him but the game refused to refund my salt. I honestly don't know how to progress from here.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
So was there or was there not a patch last night in SCEA? I didn't seem to get it.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Feenix posted:

So was there or was there not a patch last night in SCEA? I didn't seem to get it.

There was a patch but it hosed up the incantation slots so it was rolled back.

NT Plus
Nov 30, 2011

Kid just rages for a while.
Okay just beat the Alchemist. Gonna put this game down for a bit.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Feenix posted:

Tips and general encouragement? I beat the umm.. Forgotten? (Ghosts and Axe) and I feel like the game offered almost TOO MANY directions. Pitch woods with Unicorn things that one hit me... The Witch of the Lake, a couple other directions...

I'm like level 75 and have a Headtaker V Greataxe and that cool Samurai Armor. I got pretty hosed up on my first Witch attempt.

If you've encountered the lake and stuff, you've gone "through" the Pitchwoods. You're actually quite close to the end. Did you explore the Fort-Beyond-The-Mire? Did you find the Mire of Stench? Otherwise, it's a simple matter of going back to any areas you couldn't reach before or trying out for some of the other covenants. You probably aren't a magic build, but there's a very challenging platforming section in the Pitchwoods that will lead to a secret covenant.

Did you meet Cran the Ronin? If not, explore the Red Hall. Otherwise, your destination is beyond the Witch.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Hah, magic is pretty great. Ended up rolling a mage for my second play through. Managed to get the kraekan wyrm in one shot without taking damage with just lightning bolt damage. Took a while to get there though, quite a difficulty curve beforehand.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

I'm actually having trouble on the end boss. I don't think I need any advice, just posting this will mean I'll beat it immediately tomorrow.

I've been using daggers the whole time and kind of like it. I have a second character with a big axe, and while the damage is nice, I don't think it outpaces the daggers at all.

By the way, the kick attack when you press square-triangle does more damage than any other dagger attack, always use it. I plan to upload all of my boss kills once I finish the game, and have 11 hours to spare for the usb copy.

Smornstein
Nov 4, 2012
I've watched a bunch of this streamed from some friends and finally bought it this afternoon. Mage feels a lot different from souls games, which is what i was kind of expecting, I beat the first boss in 2 rounds but a bunch of the regular enemies are giving me some trouble. Should I just look for better armor while I work my way to swordfighter with my levels?

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

NotAnArtist posted:

Hah, magic is pretty great. Ended up rolling a mage for my second play through. Managed to get the kraekan wyrm in one shot without taking damage with just lightning bolt damage. Took a while to get there though, quite a difficulty curve beforehand.

The fucker just melts to lightning barrage.

If you haven't found it I think it's somewhere in that castle but it's just nuts. Hold down button to murder everybody. So long as you don't get hit before it charges up, you'll kill even big HP sack enemies in two waves, maybe three. It's ludicrous and it annhilates bosses.

Trudis
Mar 23, 2008

This is the Dawning of the Age of Hilarious

Smornstein posted:

I've watched a bunch of this streamed from some friends and finally bought it this afternoon. Mage feels a lot different from souls games, which is what i was kind of expecting, I beat the first boss in 2 rounds but a bunch of the regular enemies are giving me some trouble. Should I just look for better armor while I work my way to swordfighter with my levels?

Stick with the magic for a while. It starts out more difficult than any of the heavy armor melee classes, but boy oh boy do you get to wreck poo poo later on with higher level spells.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
loving hell. Greathammers are awesome.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

8-Bit Scholar posted:

The fucker just melts to lightning barrage.

If you haven't found it I think it's somewhere in that castle but it's just nuts. Hold down button to murder everybody. So long as you don't get hit before it charges up, you'll kill even big HP sack enemies in two waves, maybe three. It's ludicrous and it annhilates bosses.

I have it, and I'm currently trying to find more interesting gear than what I'm currently using. I transmuted the Jester's ear in a branch wand, which is kind of cool. I want the queen of smile's sword but I'm not sure I want to invest that many points into the tree. Light armor is similarly eating valuable magic space - I know the common "get naked, get good" philosophy but I like the added visual interest armor provides.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
So I hear this game is awesome as gently caress. Dammit! Too many good games.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

It's driving me crazy that the footsteps sound double-plays when you turn left and right rapidly

That's my contribution

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006
Anyone have a sense of how spells scale with the magic stat? Working on a magic/swords/shields/heavy armor guy and am looking to cut corners where I can.

Right now my guess is that I go all-in on magic, get swords to level 3 for northern cross, then shields and heavy armor are nice to max for willpower and endurance, but mobility is probably important so avoid the ones with really egregious weight.

I don't suppose there is consensus on a good general purpose shield and heavy suit? It's also early enough that I can easily grey pearl my single pip in heavy and aim for the light tree. The heavy stuff looks pretty cool though. Ugh does weight affect focus at all? I've been poking through the wiki but even with the dump from developers there isn't a lot of analysis yet.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

Maybe this is well known but I just realized you can use gray pearls to refund nodes you took as prerequisites without losing the later nodes.

Flint & Steel was a fun weapon to use but boy is it a buggy mess. I lost count of how many times I crashed the game changing rings.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Internet Friend posted:

Maybe this is well known but I just realized you can use gray pearls to refund nodes you took as prerequisites without losing the later nodes.

Flint & Steel was a fun weapon to use but boy is it a buggy mess. I lost count of how many times I crashed the game changing rings.

Don't try to use a pistol with it either or you'll risk having the pistol get deleted from your inventory.

I only saw one flint & steel, sword whip, and greatscissors available the whole game. Is there really only 1 of each or did I miss the higher rank ones somehow?

Trampy Vampy
Mar 21, 2008

It don't mean a thing,
If it ain't got that swing.
God damnit. My game just crashed and corrupted my save file. I'm liking the game quite a bit, but I think this is a sign for me to drop this for a while and come back after a few patches.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

Digirat posted:

Don't try to use a pistol with it either or you'll risk having the pistol get deleted from your inventory.

I only saw one flint & steel, sword whip, and greatscissors available the whole game. Is there really only 1 of each or did I miss the higher rank ones somehow?

I deleted two of them before I realized what happened, so I crashed the game with rings to get them back.

There's another greatsicssor that scales with magic but someone in this thread told me it's worse than the basic one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Internet Friend posted:

I deleted two of them before I realized what happened, so I crashed the game with rings to get them back.

There's another greatsicssor that scales with magic but someone in this thread told me it's worse than the basic one.

The basic greatscissor is the best greatsword and maybe the best weapon in the game stats-wise, I'm surprised it hasn't been nerfed yet.

• Locked thread