Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.
Got behind a guy driving to my folks' house this evening, and noticed he was completely unable to stay in his lane in either direction. After a mile or so of watching him weave, I called the cops and gave them the plate number, make, model and color of the car. Followed him for another few miles, watched him pull into a gas station and let the dispatcher know where he was. I hope they got that dickhead for drunk driving. loving rear end in a top hat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
With a name like "gore point", you'd think nobody would want to be there.

xzzy posted:

I've always assumed that creepers are people not really paying attention. They barely got their foot on the brake, they go to send a text, and lift a little bit and start to roll. So then they brake again and repeat until they're halfway through the intersection.
Oh no, people do this deliberately. Like 90% here drive manual and I still see it all the time. This means they're either a) holding the clutch while in gear and letting it out occasionally, or b) Disengaging the clutch, putting in first, letting the clutch out a bit, and reversing the process, repeatedly. Sometimes while also holding the brake because they're on a hill.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

How not to park

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyrQn45UdcI

quote:

A 23-year-old motorist is lucky to be alive after driving off the fourth floor of a parking garage in Towson, Maryland. Surveillance footage released by Baltimore County police shows Lindsay Taylor Cook crashing to the ground in her vehicle on 14 March, after attempting to pull into a parking space. Cook, who landed upside down in the car, escaped with minor injuries

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I'm trying to understand a world where a 23 year old is driving an Audi Q5.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Goober Peas posted:

There's a couple used Q5s near me for about the same price as a Civic Si. Or less. It's only a $40k MSRP new, it's not like we're talking a brand new Ferarri.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

mobby_6kl posted:

With a name like "gore point", you'd think nobody would want to be there.

Oh no, people do this deliberately. Like 90% here drive manual and I still see it all the time. This means they're either a) holding the clutch while in gear and letting it out occasionally, or b) Disengaging the clutch, putting in first, letting the clutch out a bit, and reversing the process, repeatedly. Sometimes while also holding the brake because they're on a hill.

Can someone explain, beyond this, why every single taxi driver and bus driver does the creeping thing, too? They do it at a far greater rate than private vehicles, in my experience.

Unless they're in front of me, in which case they will often just sit there as the light turns green because they aren't loving paying attention. Double points if they just cut me off before that intersection!

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
If I see a taxi on the highway here there is a 100% guaranteed chance he's going to cut me off while I'm passing in the left lane and slow down. I hate all yellow vehicles as a result. Pgh Yellow Cab are the worst for this because they'll even occasionally brake check if they notice you right after cutting you off before you've adjusted speed.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I hate Uber, but I support them because I hate all taxi drivers, and the taxi companies, so, so much more.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Yesterday I saw a little boy, 3-4 years old, run out in front of a pickup truck in a supermarket parking lot. The truck stopped about a foot from hitting his face. The kid spent the next 5 minutes or so crying on the sidewalk.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

VideoTapir posted:

Yesterday I saw a little boy, 3-4 years old, run out in front of a pickup truck in a supermarket parking lot. The truck stopped about a foot from hitting his face. The kid spent the next 5 minutes or so crying on the sidewalk.

Good.

Not the almost death part, but hopefully he'll be scared of running in front of trucks and not die in the future.

antisodachrist
Jul 24, 2007

PCOS Bill posted:

If I see a taxi on the highway here there is a 100% guaranteed chance he's going to cut me off while I'm passing in the left lane and slow down. I hate all yellow vehicles as a result. Pgh Yellow Cab are the worst for this because they'll even occasionally brake check if they notice you right after cutting you off before you've adjusted speed.

Then if there is a tunnel the taxi will slow down to 10 mph like every one else in PGH because people believe they eat cars.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Goober Peas posted:

Mommy and Daddy.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

spog posted:

Good.

Not the almost death part, but hopefully he'll be scared of running in front of trucks and not die in the future.
The almost death part is what makes the lesson stick.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The challenge of youth is surviving the universe's attempts to kill you until you're smart enough to avoid those situations. At which point you become a boring bitter old gently caress.

Alcohol is the universe's attempt to keep you from realizing what's going on.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

VideoTapir posted:

Did the parent(s) lash out at the driver or the kid?

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.
shhhh it's sleeping

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
How did they manage that?

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.
Seeing as South London isn't known for it's hilly terrain and tight, high speed corners I've not a clue.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

PT6A posted:

I hate Uber, but I support them because I hate all taxi drivers, and the taxi companies, so, so much more.

Around here Uber drivers are just taxi drivers that have taken the decals and roof sign off the car. They use exactly the same vehicles and drive in exactly the same (retarded) way

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

dissss posted:

Around here Uber drivers are just taxi drivers that have taken the decals and roof sign off the car. They use exactly the same vehicles and drive in exactly the same (retarded) way

Doesn't Uber require a <10 year old car? Taxis are usually a bit older than that, I thought. So many of them are pre-'03-refresh CVPIs.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Raluek posted:

Doesn't Uber require a <10 year old car? Taxis are usually a bit older than that, I thought. So many of them are pre-'03-refresh CVPIs.

Most of the taxi fleet here is less than that age anyway - they're like 90% Toyota hybrids because they're the cheapest things to run in mostly urban usage.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

Seeing as South London isn't known for it's hilly terrain and tight, high speed corners I've not a clue.

Almost looks like he took a sharp turn way too fast, and probably had a full trailer. Saw it happen a few times near where I live, especially on some on/off ramps with steep curves.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Solar Coaster posted:

Try living on the corner of a busy intersection in a car / motorcycle town for a few years then tell me if you agree. I love being woken up in all hours of the night because they decide they want to rev the engine and take off like a rocket at the stoplights. gently caress those guys and their compensation bikes and cars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmyCVG2eVCk

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Geoj posted:

Did the parent(s) lash out at the driver or the kid?

No, there was a lot of hugging and trying to calm him down.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Raluek posted:

A lot of places require taxis to be no more than say 5-10 years old depending on location.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
People that pull up to (through) a crosswalk while focusing on traffic coming from the right and not noticing pedestrians in the crosswalk. I counted 11 times in the last week around my neighborhood. Every single loving time. They roll to a stop halfway into the crosswalk while watching traffic from their left, then gun it as soon as the car is past without ever sparing a glance to the right. I've taken to knocking on their windows and waving. I used to passive aggressively just walk in front of them while glaring, but after a few never once bothered to look up and almost pasted me, knocking seems a lot safer.

Bonus points to the old guy in the F250 that actually pulled into the crosswalk while I was already in it, still staring left.

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS

Mortanis posted:

People that pull up to (through) a crosswalk while focusing on traffic coming from the right and not noticing pedestrians in the crosswalk. I counted 11 times in the last week around my neighborhood. Every single loving time. They roll to a stop halfway into the crosswalk while watching traffic from their left, then gun it as soon as the car is past without ever sparing a glance to the right. I've taken to knocking on their windows and waving. I used to passive aggressively just walk in front of them while glaring, but after a few never once bothered to look up and almost pasted me, knocking seems a lot safer.

Bonus points to the old guy in the F250 that actually pulled into the crosswalk while I was already in it, still staring left.

Hell, it's so bad here that when someone (me) does stop and wave a pedestrian through the crosswalk, they act surprised and/or suspicious. Same thing when I wave someone into the line of traffic. They hesitate and edge their car into the space by inches at a time, like they think I'm going to gun my engine and smash into them cackling.

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004

Karma Monkey posted:

Hell, it's so bad here that when someone (me) does stop and wave a pedestrian through the crosswalk, they act surprised and/or suspicious. Same thing when I wave someone into the line of traffic. They hesitate and edge their car into the space by inches at a time, like they think I'm going to gun my engine and smash into them cackling.

When I'm a pedestrian I try not to oblige someone waving me on. I don't know if the driver has a complete view or understanding of the intersection and is accidentally directing me into harm's way. I will just walk away from the intersection until the car leaves.

Edit: My life is more important than some rando feeling great about himself for a "good deed".

waffle iron fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Mar 27, 2016

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

waffle iron posted:

When I'm a pedestrian I try not to oblige someone waving me on. I don't know if the driver has a complete view or understanding of the intersection and is accidentally directing me into harm's way. I will just walk away from the intersection until the car leaves.

Edit: My life is more important than some rando feeling great about himself for a "good deed".

I was talking about a four-way stop where I was the only vehicle there. I don't wave people into an intersection or around traffic. I'm not feeling good about doing a good deed when I do it. I'm feeling impatient because I want them to get the gently caress on so I can go about my way because 9 times out of 10, they'll act like they're stopping at the curb to let me though, act like they're going to stay there, and then after I start pulling through the crosswalk, they step down off the curb.

Conversely, when I'm driving in Baltimore, pedestrians never stop at curbs. They cross the street wherever the gently caress they want in whatever traffic there is, causing cars to slam on their brakes to avoid hitting them. Then they just glare at you as they walk like you're the rear end in a top hat. I really want to get a dashcam, but even at its worst here, it's really nothing that can compete with Russian dashcams.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llVFn8UZz10

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

waffle iron posted:

Life would be a hell of a lot easier if everyone just took the right of way when it's theirs. My favorite is situations where you're waiting on two people to go, and one of the two waves you on not realizing that his waving doesn't magically give you the right of way over the other person in that equation. Stop loving waving at me and just drive.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
Yall know how they sometimes leave a space between two Handicapped spots as no-parking for wheelchairs and the like? Saw some ancient man park in one and he refused to believe me when I pointed out that while it does have the blue lines, all the white bars mean he can't park there. As I didn't feel like yelling at a 90 year old I just left it and when I got back to my car there was some woman in a wheelchair who couldn't load it. Felt sort of like an rear end for not hassling him more.

E: Speaking of wheelchairs, thought this was pretty cool.

sleepy.eyes fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Mar 27, 2016

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Phanatic posted:

Life would be a hell of a lot easier if everyone just took the right of way when it's theirs. My favorite is situations where you're waiting on two people to go, and one of the two waves you on not realizing that his waving doesn't magically give you the right of way over the other person in that equation. Stop loving waving at me and just drive.

Problem: At a crosswalk the ped has right of way. The driver is legally required to stop.
I'd be shocked at the ignorance, but no one seems to know this.
They also don't seem to know you are not supposed to pass a car stopped at a crosswalk either.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Phanatic posted:

I hate these motherfuckers.

People who slow down out of caution or some misdirected sense of courtesy when approaching someone trying to turn left from the other direction drive me out of my skull as well. My girlfriend will do this poo poo - there's enough space to turn left after she passes but she'll slow down so the cars behind catch up, loving the person in the oncoming lane. WHAT ARE YOU DOING. GO. GOOOOOOOOO.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
Sundays appear to be the worst for this poo poo because you get all the churchies on the road feeling charitable or guilty or what-the-gently caress-ever and everybody wants to let everyone else go first and IT'S A loving SYSTEM JUST DO YOUR JOB, YOU'RE loving EVERYTHING UP GODDAMMIT THE OTHER PERSON HAS THE YIELD SIGN YOU STUPID PIECE OF poo poo

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
For a while, shady fuckers were pulling "wave you through" scams in Arkansas where they'd try to get you to go, then they'd t-bone you and claim you ran the stop sign. I never take another car's suggestion to violate a traffic law. Just go.

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

Number 1 Sexy Dad posted:

I hate these motherfuckers.

People who slow down out of caution or some misdirected sense of courtesy when approaching someone trying to turn left from the other direction drive me out of my skull as well. My girlfriend will do this poo poo - there's enough space to turn left after she passes but she'll slow down so the cars behind catch up, loving the person in the oncoming lane. WHAT ARE YOU DOING. GO. GOOOOOOOOO.

The thing I see around here is left turning vehicles not yielding right of way to oncoming traffic and "racing" to beat the traffic to make the turn resulting in crashes, so some people here tend to slow down when they see a car that's turning left across their path. I don't have a problem with people slowing down to be cautious at intersections because I've seen way too many nasty accidents when both people are determined to be first.

Hermaphrodite
Oct 2, 2004

Luckily, I CAN go fuck myself!
When on foot or bicycle I NEVER go when people wave me on. I had it timed perfectly rear end in a top hat, then you had to be all courteous and poo poo and ruin my flow. If they don't go on their way, I'll just sit there with my arms folded, glaring at them, or maybe turn back the way I came until they're gone.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Hermaphrodite posted:

When on foot or bicycle I NEVER go when people wave me on. I had it timed perfectly rear end in a top hat, then you had to be all courteous and poo poo and ruin my flow. If they don't go on their way, I'll just sit there with my arms folded, glaring at them, or maybe turn back the way I came until they're gone.

On my bike, I pull out my water bottle and start drinking. That seems to get it through people that I'm not going to just roll into a street when I don't have the right of way.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Uthor posted:

On my bike, I pull out my water bottle and start drinking. That seems to get it through people that I'm not going to just roll into a street when I don't have the right of way.

If you don't do that you are the best bicyclist in the world and I thank you for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

sleepy.eyes posted:

E: Speaking of wheelchairs, thought this was pretty cool.

Spectrum Pursuit Vehicle!