Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

triple sulk posted:

conversely, c# is good

extremely agreed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
java is fine. not good or bad, just fine.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

yeah its definitely better than jsrubypythongo

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

go loving repeated the mistakes of 1995 java lol

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

triple sulk posted:

conversely, c# is good

it's the best static typed lang crippled by being tied down by windows

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

akadajet posted:

c# is actually the best cross platform language there is

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

akadajet posted:

they finally ported it to linux

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008
the scala type class example yields super awful runtime performance. both spray-json and breeze (ab)use it and are hilariously slow because of it.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Awia posted:

c# is actually the best cross platform language there is

thanks to es6 and es7 the best cross platform langauge to use right now is javascript

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Condiv posted:

they finally ported it to linux

doesn't mean it's good on linux yet

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

akadajet posted:

doesn't mean it's good on linux yet

its already better than anything that already existed on linux

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

mostly bc the bar was on the dang floor

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

Bloody posted:

mostly bc the bar was on the dang floor

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

akadajet posted:

thanks to es6 and es7 the best cross platform langauge to use right now is javascript
Not while I still have to support IE 9 and 10 it isn't.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

FamDav posted:

the scala type class example yields super awful runtime performance. both spray-json and breeze (ab)use it and are hilariously slow because of it.

yeah, scala is only good if you use it to write java but with val basically. any attempt to leverage the type system makes it fall over

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

darthbob88 posted:

Not while I still have to support IE 9 and 10 it isn't.

let me introduce you to babel https://babeljs.io/

and polyfills

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Blinkz0rz posted:

let me introduce you to babel https://babeljs.io/

and polyfills

and ditching legacy browsers with slow runtimes

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

edge has the best js runtime of any browser

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

the talent deficit posted:

yeah, scala is only good if you use it to write java but with val basically. any attempt to leverage the type system makes it fall over

i imagine in the type class case it's that the jvm just doesn't optimize the scala type class pattern very well? if you look at the desugared Haskell code (I think it's the level above c--?) it looks exactly like the scala code. the only difference is Haskell makes it performant.

It'll be interesting when 2.12 finally drops for scala. if they hadn't missed their release date by a year spark 2 might've targeted it instead of 2.11.

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008
I would have much less of a problem with scala type classes if they were an actual language feature and not just "here's some dumb cool poo poo you can do with implicits".

implicits are an awful language feature because they expose the implementation rather than present the features they're used to implement. you are forced to implement these clunky design patterns, which I thought avoiding was a goal of scala.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Bloody posted:

edge has the best js runtime of any browser

i wouldn't know bc i don't use bad browsers

crazypenguin
Mar 9, 2005
nothing witty here, move along

FamDav posted:

I would have much less of a problem with scala type classes if they were an actual language feature and not just "here's some dumb cool poo poo you can do with implicits".

implicits are an awful language feature because they expose the implementation rather than present the features they're used to implement. you are forced to implement these clunky design patterns, which I thought avoiding was a goal of scala.

A terrifying number of people, even in the PL design community, do not recognize that there is a trade-off between the flexibility of an abstraction and its actual usefulness. More powerful things generally mean you've taking away properties you used to know about it, and those properties can be important.

You'd think functional people who are all about immutability would understand this, but still we get "implicits are MORE POWERFUL than typeclasses!!! Wow!"

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

i just used var instead of a proper type for the first time, look at me, i'm a c# dev!
i used it just because i didn't want to figure out the type of some value though. it's me, i'm the reason why we can't have nice things

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

Unless you're gonna stick it immediately in a for each pls stop

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

the talent deficit posted:

if you want to write java with val then just add lombok to your pom and write java with val

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

HoboMan posted:

i just used var instead of a proper type for the first time, look at me, i'm a c# dev!
i used it just because i didn't want to figure out the type of some value though. it's me, i'm the reason why we can't have nice things

good now use it everywhere hail var

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

Bloody posted:

that awful moment when you look at your own code from a few months ago and have no loving clue what it does

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
learning elixir now and hoping i can turn this knowledge into a huge over-inflated tech bubble salary

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

just c things :3:

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
i just used an exception for control flow and i don't even care #yolo

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

HoboMan posted:

using var is a gateway drug to javascript
:getin:

pgroce
Oct 24, 2002
hey are people here still laughing at npm? because http://www.kb.cert.org/vuls/id/319816

quote:

npm allows packages to take actions that could result in a malicious npm package author to create a worm that spreads across the majority of the npm ecosystem.....

The timeline provided in the above document is as follows:...
Jan 8 2016 ­­Confirmation of works as intended no intention to fix at the moment from npm.

can't wait for angular and babel to start serving malware because they trust the opsec of the guy who maintains capitalize-words

Asshole Masonanie
Oct 27, 2009

by vyelkin
ES6/7 can transpile my balls

what's the general consensus on rust so far? gay? y/n

Asymmetrikon
Oct 30, 2009

I believe you're a big dork!
better than Go, but that's not really saying much

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Power Ambient posted:

it's super lame. no support for stacked grenades.
https://github.com/rust-lang/rust/issues/12723

Asshole Masonanie
Oct 27, 2009

by vyelkin

akadajet posted:

it's super lame. no support for stacked grenades.
https://github.com/rust-lang/rust/issues/12723

lol

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Power Ambient posted:

Been using rust for a project related to my masters doing deep packet inspection and so far i have few complaints

It's fast, takes the best features from other languages (ADTs, extension methods, immutability by default, focus on interfaces over inheritance, functional first), the default package manager/build system is decent, and it comes with a unit test runner and a documentation generator by default.

It can be a pain in the rear end sometimes when you know something is safe but the compiler keeps choking on it because it can't prove it's safe, and the 3rd party packages are limited (but growing). Also the lifetimes syntax can be annoyingly verbose sometimes

So yes, very gay, if by gay you mean cool and good

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

akadajet posted:

using var is a gateway drug to javascript
:getin:

actually, it's a gateway drug to haskell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

HappyHippo posted:

its really got nothing to do with that. the fundamental issue is that if something can go wrong, given enough time it will. the problem boils down to the fact that you actually want to return one of two values: a valid reference, or a null reference, but the language doesn't encode this information. a similar thing happens in oldschool c functions that return an int but where say "-1" means an error of some sort. they really wanted two types of return values: an integer, or an error code. in both cases the type system doesn't distinguish between the two return types and this can produce difficult to track bugs because these "exceptional" cases don't necessarily come up very often. compare this with languages that have option types and tagged unions where the language forces you to check the result in order to do anything with it.

sometimes we see block models with mass values of like 9801 kg because -99 (null) grade got multiplied by -99 density

• Locked thread