Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Also, look at the art on the steam page. It's very creepy.

The game also has a single jumpscare and every turn in the hallways makes you paranoid. I think it's brilliant, though, because one of the themes and set-up is the main character having never lived here before. She's coming back to a new home after being in Europe. So part of the game's use of horror is to keep tension in the narrative, as you spend the whole game waiting for the other shoe to drop. The other half is how it gradually builds a feeling of "home" for the player. It does the opposite of most horror games, where they establish a safe zone and then wrestle it away. The whole point is to feel safe in your "home base" portion of the house as you explore the other areas. It's fantastic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes
I will readily admit that Gone Home did have a lot of fun little touches like the diary/letter that I think is about your character's parents having sex and your character slams it shut and refuses to look at it again.

Primetime
Jul 3, 2009

death .cab for qt posted:

Also, look at the art on the steam page. It's very creepy.

The game also has a single jumpscare and every turn in the hallways makes you paranoid. I think it's brilliant, though, because one of the themes and set-up is the main character having never lived here before. She's coming back to a new home after being in Europe. So part of the game's use of horror is to keep tension in the narrative, as you spend the whole game waiting for the other shoe to drop. The other half is how it gradually builds a feeling of "home" for the player. It does the opposite of most horror games, where they establish a safe zone and then wrestle it away. The whole point is to feel safe in your "home base" portion of the house as you explore the other areas. It's fantastic

I agree with this, if you keep all the story elements and leave out any horror aspect, Make her come home on a sunny summer day rather than a rainy night, no one plays it.

I think tapping into a similar fear from when you were 8 years old and home alone at night was genius. It had the occasional red herring to keep you interested (like the 'bloody' bathtub), but again, absent any suspense it might as well just be a visual novel

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
In Mother 3, I was having issues with the combat but then found out about the Rhythm Fight mechanic. That is awesome now I know how it works, against the zombies after restarting chapter 2 after looking up exactly how the rhythm mechanic worked (I didn't get that the first two 'beats' are you selecting attack and the character attacking until looking it up online) I went from doing 45 damage to the zombies to 94 on a 13-hit combo. Only enough to kill one female zombie in one hit but it's a cool thing for me to remember for bosses later. It's actually really engaging. Also I liked the way chapter 1 ended with the father losing it after the mother dies and just going mad with a stick of wood. Very effective stuff.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Primetime posted:

I agree with this, if you keep all the story elements and leave out any horror aspect, Make her come home on a sunny summer day rather than a rainy night, no one plays it.

I think tapping into a similar fear from when you were 8 years old and home alone at night was genius. It had the occasional red herring to keep you interested (like the 'bloody' bathtub), but again, absent any suspense it might as well just be a visual novel

It's also crucial to the end-game of the house, when everywhere feels like home. First playing, i inched down to the living room and the visual of a TV on static on a strange, creepy, empty home really played up the dread. Now, I just bop in and turn it all off and pop the light on because it feels more familiar. It's very deliberate in that you have to turn all the lights on yourself as you explore, it's breadcrumbing a gradual "home base" behind you as you add on more until you feel comfortable enough on the house to just blast through.

It takes the usual problem in horror games, the moment when tension disappears because it's too familiar, and makes that an end-goal.

And afterward you notice the little nods to the atmosphere, like the haunted house board game and Poltergeist TV setup, and laugh about it

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

It takes the usual problem in horror games, the moment when tension disappears because it's too familiar, and makes that an end-goal.

I always thought that that would be a great way to do an alternate joke ending in a JRPG. If the game detects that everyone is at max level with all abilities and ultimate weapons, the final boss just gives up after seeing you kill his lead general in one 99999 hit. He just throws you the macguffin, unties the damsel in distress and runs away going "Sorrysorrysorrysorrysorrysorrysorrysorrysorrysorrysorrysorry" He's not going to be a challenge at that point anyway, so why not have fun with it :P

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Not quite the same, but a Renegade Shepard in Mass Effect can casually list "evil" stuff she's done (allowing civilians to die for a mission, etc) in a few places, which makes the villain get nervous and back off because they were banking on her being a goody two-shoes.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

poptart_fairy posted:

Not quite the same, but a Renegade Shepard in Mass Effect can casually list "evil" stuff she's done (allowing civilians to die for a mission, etc) in a few places, which makes the villain get nervous and back off because they were banking on her being a goody two-shoes.

Never got that far in Mass Effect. Found it fiendishly boring and never looked back.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

BioEnchanted posted:

Never got that far in Mass Effect. Found it fiendishly boring and never looked back.

Depending on the game you're looking for, it might be better to just read the Wiki entry on ME1 and go straight into ME2. ME2 has the barest bare of RPG mechanics and is really just a glorified 3rd Person Shooter in space, but the dialogue options are really really good when it comes to Renegade Shep.

There's nothing quite like the moment when a bad guy is listing off to you his massive evil plan for the planet, so you just pull that Renegade trigger and explode the giant fuel tank he's walking on the scaffolding above. :allears:

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Is it handsome in here, or is it just me?

My favorite renegade moments are talking to Saren in 1 and the head butt in 2

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Depending on the game you're looking for, it might be better to just read the Wiki entry on ME1 and go straight into ME2. ME2 has the barest bare of RPG mechanics and is really just a glorified 3rd Person Shooter in space, but the dialogue options are really really good when it comes to Renegade Shep.

There's nothing quite like the moment when a bad guy is listing off to you his massive evil plan for the planet, so you just pull that Renegade trigger and explode the giant fuel tank he's walking on the scaffolding above. :allears:

"I don't have anything else to say to you"
"How about 'goodbye'?"

WINDOW'D

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
Oh, how perfect, I just beat Mass Effect for the first time ever last night. :)

The first time I got to Saren I didn't quite realize it was time for the Final Boss Fight, so after the token evil mastermind reveals his plan speech and the combat started, I turned the game off in order to fully enjoy the experience when I had more time. Last night I picked up where I left off, but this time I must have chosen some pretty different dialogue choices, which eventually led to me using my maxed out Intimidation skill to force Saren into shooting himself right in the head. God I love when there's an option to resolve issues in video games through dialogue.

While we're on the subject, this leads me to a question I've been wanting to ask on SA. Now that ME1 is in the books (a bit annoyed I can't cruise around space after the end game but whatevs) ME2 is next. I played ME1 on my ancient Xbox 360 that loads textures at a "Whenever I Get Around To It" speed, but since buying ME1 I've purchased a nice, high end PC and would much rather play ME2 on Steam. I've heard that your choices from ME1 carry over to ME2, so my question is: Would it be worth it to continue through the series on Xbox 360 to preserve my Renegade Blonde Shep and his choices, or is there some way to trick the PC version of ME2 into thinking I've made my ME1 choices from the Xbox 360 file on startup? Or is the continuity not even worth all this trouble in the first place?

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Fumaofthelake posted:

My favorite renegade moments are talking to Saren in 1 and the head butt in 2

The part where you end a normally-lengthy interrogation in one sentence by opening with "You and I both know Spectres are above the law. I can do anything I want to you and the cops can't do anything about it. So why don't you save us both a lot of time?" will still always be my favorite.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

Jukebox Hero posted:

No need to be hostile if you're just clearing up a misunderstanding about the lesbian romance where one is a manly dyke and one is a girly girl so the author doesn't have to actually understand how gay relationships work("one of them acts like a, girl and one acts like a boy, right?")

You know the author of gone home is a lesbian game designer from Seattle right? And what's not classic about a more lipsticky lez and a little grungier, tomboy dyke-y girl finding one another? That's a common dynamic in the LGBT circles and not really a picking point for the game.

Olaf The Stout has a new favorite as of 20:16 on Mar 25, 2016

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

timp posted:

While we're on the subject, this leads me to a question I've been wanting to ask on SA. Now that ME1 is in the books (a bit annoyed I can't cruise around space after the end game but whatevs) ME2 is next. I played ME1 on my ancient Xbox 360 that loads textures at a "Whenever I Get Around To It" speed, but since buying ME1 I've purchased a nice, high end PC and would much rather play ME2 on Steam. I've heard that your choices from ME1 carry over to ME2, so my question is: Would it be worth it to continue through the series on Xbox 360 to preserve my Renegade Blonde Shep and his choices, or is there some way to trick the PC version of ME2 into thinking I've made my ME1 choices from the Xbox 360 file on startup? Or is the continuity not even worth all this trouble in the first place?

I don't know where to look for such things anymore, but I know for a fact that there's a way to edit all your choices in a ME1 save file and import it int ME2 when you start- and don't worry about how he/she looks- the engine is so different that it lets you start from scratch, facially.

Edit: found it! Just grab whatever save matches your decisions, edit it to your liking in the save editor and bob's your proverbial uncle.

http://www.masseffectsaves.com/

Olaf The Stout posted:

You know the author of gone home is a lesbian game designer from Seattle right? And what's not classic about a more lipsticky lez and a little grungier, tomboy dyke-y girl finding one another? That's a common dynamic in the LGBT circles and not really a picking point for the game.

Don't read too much into it, hes just looking for a veiled excuse to be a dismissive chode.

Just Offscreen has a new favorite as of 20:18 on Mar 25, 2016

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

BioEnchanted posted:

I always thought that that would be a great way to do an alternate joke ending in a JRPG. If the game detects that everyone is at max level with all abilities and ultimate weapons, the final boss just gives up after seeing you kill his lead general in one 99999 hit. He just throws you the macguffin, unties the damsel in distress and runs away going "Sorrysorrysorrysorrysorrysorrysorrysorrysorrysorrysorrysorry" He's not going to be a challenge at that point anyway, so why not have fun with it :P

In Final Fantasy I it's possible to overlevel (at least with a glitch, not sure if it's possible with grinding) so much that the end boss flees the battle and the game ends.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
In Dead Space 2, every weapon has a special node at the end up its upgrade grid which provides a unique ability. The javelin gun is a weapon which has a primary fire which will impale a necromorph, then a secondary which will electrify the javelin that's stuck in it. I'm pretty sure shooting a necromorph with a javelin and then electrocuting it will do enough damage to kill any enemy in the entire game. If you upgrade it with the special node, the javelin also explodes when it's done electrocuting the enemy. It will almost certainly already be dead, so the additional explosion generally serves no purpose other than launching whichever item the necromorph dropped across the room or into inaccessible areas, so it actively works against you more often than not.

I upgrade it every single time.

cosmo sex tip
Sep 26, 2005
contains sodium borate, xanthan gum, sucrose stearate, glucose, glucose oxidase & lactoperoxidase, and fragrance.

In Stardew Valley I'm about halfway through my first winter, just upgraded my chicken coop so my three chickens and one duck will be nice and toasty throughout the winter, and literally the day after the upgrade is done being built, I fished a Dinosaur Egg out of the lake. It's an Artifact so normally I'd donate it to the Library right away, but then I remembered something.

The upgraded coop comes with an egg incubator.

I'm gonna have me a pet dinosaur. :kimchi:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

OK, in Mother 3 the fight with the ghost composer was pretty clever. Also loved the ghost party. :3:

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

cosmo sex tip posted:

I'm gonna have me a pet dinosaur. :kimchi:

If the game will actually let you do that, I will buy it the instant I have the money. Oh my god it actually will. Welp.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

In Dead Space 2... javelin gun...

You could trigger the explosion earlier, so it becomes a sort of grenade launcher to clear packs with.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

In Dead Space 2, every weapon has a special node at the end up its upgrade grid which provides a unique ability. The javelin gun is a weapon which has a primary fire which will impale a necromorph, then a secondary which will electrify the javelin that's stuck in it. I'm pretty sure shooting a necromorph with a javelin and then electrocuting it will do enough damage to kill any enemy in the entire game. If you upgrade it with the special node, the javelin also explodes when it's done electrocuting the enemy. It will almost certainly already be dead, so the additional explosion generally serves no purpose other than launching whichever item the necromorph dropped across the room or into inaccessible areas, so it actively works against you more often than not.

Man this sounds so correct it makes me want to play the game.

Let's talk about Mother-loving Mad Max. If your main criticism of mad max is that it does nothing new with videogames, you are old and dying inside.

If you want to feel young again turn off the music and put on the brutal legend playlist and tear rear end across the burned out ocean-become-desert. Pretend the thunder poon doesn't exist, and throw yourself into battle with no shirt and a huge-gently caress-off-beard, and always fight way more than you think you can handle. Rescue some damsels and get your loving Valhalla on. Make your Steed worthy to carry you across the plains of battle as the unholy loving judgement of man. Creep up on base with your gloriously trashy prophet igor black thumb steering you into position while you sit in the bed of your war wagon trying to line up the perfect sniper shot but you only have 3 bullets.

When the sniper falls Motörhead will guide you towards the most visceral and satisfying alpha strike base capture I can remember playing. gently caress you my henchback harpooned your rear end and in the same motion I've rolled out of my vehicle going fifty miles an hour and now my fists are upon you. Fists I have upgraded to have wrenches sticking out from every knuckle. And my beard knows no mercy. And now to give a completely non-sexualized woman the last of my water and ride off into the sunset to see what's next.

Olaf The Stout has a new favorite as of 08:52 on Mar 26, 2016

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
The javelin gun is the most satisfyling brutal gun in a game full of satisfying guns.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Olaf The Stout posted:

Let's talk about Mother-loving Mad Max.

Mad Max would have been a great game if it was half as long and didn't have that bullshit race mission in Gas Town.

I liked how much the game took advantage of underground areas. It makes perfect sense that in a desert you'd want to live underground since it's naturally cooler and shaded and it was always cool to assault some rinky-dink base only to have it have a sprawling catacomb or a natural cave beneath it. Culminating in the story mission where you drive through an airport that's been completely buried by sandstorms.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Sleeveless posted:

I liked how much the game took advantage of underground areas. It makes perfect sense that in a desert you'd want to live underground since it's naturally cooler and shaded and it was always cool to assault some rinky-dink base only to have it have a sprawling catacomb or a natural cave beneath it.

Not only that, it's actually something that happens in Australia! :eng101: I know the mining town of Coober Pedy has a bunch of caves people have dug out as actual homes, since the town's basically just one big opal vein in the middle of nowhere.

A Classy Ghost
Jul 21, 2003

this wine has a fantastic booquet

BioEnchanted posted:

OK, in Mother 3 the fight with the ghost composer was pretty clever. Also loved the ghost party. :3:

ghost party was the best part

ElectricWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Sleeveless posted:

Culminating in the story mission where you drive through an airport that's been completely buried by sandstorms.

I just finished Mad Max, after taking a long break because of getting somewhat sick of the repetition, and this part was the worst. Having to drive through narrow corridors in the dark, bumping into every wall on the way, was just not fun at all. The convoys were probably my favorite part of the game though, especially the final one with the big war rig. Really visceral and intense vehicular combat. I'm still disappointed that they didn't utilize more of the fantastic music from the movie though, and that I never saw any sign of the Doof warrior or similar dudes.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

ElectricWizard posted:

I never saw any sign of the Doof warrior or similar dudes.

I loved how if you cleared out a base without killing the War Crier he would just awkwardly hang there and apologize and try and bargain to not get killed.

ElectricWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Sleeveless posted:

I loved how if you cleared out a base without killing the War Crier he would just awkwardly hang there and apologize and try and bargain to not get killed.

The criers are great, but would have liked something more than drums.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

"So, uh..I dunno if you know this, but it's against the rules to kill the crier. Just letting you know."

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Lucius II a janky game by a small Finnish studio where you play as an unarmed little boy who is the Antichrist and you use the physics system and your devil powers to kill people. As someone who loves the Hitman games for their ability to rig up elaborate "accidental" deaths it's great because it's an entire game built out of that and they give you so many options.

Off the top of my head, some of the deathtraps you can make are:

-Hooking up a defibrilator to metal pipes so anybody who uses the sinks is electrocuted
-Pouring concentrated acid into a hospital's water tanks and then triggering the fire alarm so it liquefies whoever the sprinklers rain down on
-Replacing a blood bag with a corrosive, explosive acid so the patient in a heart transplant and all the doctors operating on him die when he explodes from the blood transfusion
-Breaking a pressure gauge and jamming a sharpened stake into the pipe so you can use it as a makeshift stake launcher. You can also stuff a dildo in one, and there's even an achievement for killing a dude with one.
-Break a table saw so it launches spinning blades of death at construction workers
-Lock people in a depressurization room and then hijack the controls the explode them
-Break the supports of decorative hanging glass so one falls down and decapitates a dude
-Make a fire escape elevator fall and decapitate a dude when he's out for a smoke
-Break an air circulator so a woman suffocates inside a bank vault
-Use mind control powers to make people walk into traffic and get run over
-Throw gas cans into air ducts so they fall onto gas stoves and explode
-Release an aggressive strain of locusts to devour researchers in a greenhouse
-Pour slippery cleaning material on the floor so people slip and fall into an open elevator shaft

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Sleeveless posted:

Lucius II a janky game by a small Finnish studio where you play as an unarmed little boy who is the Antichrist and you use the physics system and your devil powers to kill people. As someone who loves the Hitman games for their ability to rig up elaborate "accidental" deaths it's great because it's an entire game built out of that and they give you so many options.

Off the top of my head, some of the deathtraps you can make are:

-Hooking up a defibrilator to metal pipes so anybody who uses the sinks is electrocuted
-Pouring concentrated acid into a hospital's water tanks and then triggering the fire alarm so it liquefies whoever the sprinklers rain down on
-Replacing a blood bag with a corrosive, explosive acid so the patient in a heart transplant and all the doctors operating on him die when he explodes from the blood transfusion
-Breaking a pressure gauge and jamming a sharpened stake into the pipe so you can use it as a makeshift stake launcher. You can also stuff a dildo in one, and there's even an achievement for killing a dude with one.
-Break a table saw so it launches spinning blades of death at construction workers
-Lock people in a depressurization room and then hijack the controls the explode them
-Break the supports of decorative hanging glass so one falls down and decapitates a dude
-Make a fire escape elevator fall and decapitate a dude when he's out for a smoke
-Break an air circulator so a woman suffocates inside a bank vault
-Use mind control powers to make people walk into traffic and get run over
-Throw gas cans into air ducts so they fall onto gas stoves and explode
-Release an aggressive strain of locusts to devour researchers in a greenhouse
-Pour slippery cleaning material on the floor so people slip and fall into an open elevator shaft

This game sounds loving amazing how much does it cost?

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Celluloid Sam posted:

This game sounds loving amazing how much does it cost?

http://store.steampowered.com/app/296830/

I really enjoyed it, it's the best Hitman game to not actually feature a bald barcoded clone. Of course I got it on sale along with the (vastly inferior and depressingly linear) first Lucius game.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Sleeveless posted:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/296830/

I really enjoyed it, it's the best Hitman game to not actually feature a bald barcoded clone. Of course I got it on sale along with the (vastly inferior and depressingly linear) first Lucius game.

Oh, that's nice to hear. I only played the first one which was almost completely linear (IIRC there was only one scripted way for each kill), so I ended up holding off on the sequel. Probably gonna give it a try now.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

sirbeefalot posted:

I'm replaying Red Dead Redemption for the umpteenth time, and goddamn I love having a dedicated "tip your hat" button. I've only played about 4-5 story missions in the 4 hours I've played so far, just spent most of the time slowly riding around the countryside and saying howdy to everyone.

Such a goddamn wonderful game. :tipshat: Where's the cowboy??

its also fun that Marston don't know how to say hello in spanish when he's in Mexico. Its also probably the only Rockstar game where you can't pick up prostitutes because Marston is married and take that very seriously.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Pretty sure that isn't in Bully either.

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

And if you gaze long enough into a nest, the nest will gaze back into you.
Were there prostitutes in the ping pong game?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Yeah, but I still don't understand that subplot.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

flatluigi posted:

Pretty sure that isn't in Bully either.

lol if you didn't trade chocolates for kisses

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Mister Adequate posted:

lol if you didn't trade chocolates for kisses

Cornering the single gay kid in school and making out with him for an entire day to get the achievement :cool: