Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

OtherworldlyInvader posted:

I'm not calling you out on a pedantic grammatical error (If there is one there I don't even see it), I'm pointing out that what you said was factually inaccurate, and I'm doing that because I think these inaccuracies are causing you to draw invalid conclusions from them. If I understand the changes you wish you had made to your statement correctly, the statement is still wrong and more importantly it is still wrong for exactly the same reason I already outlined.

You have claimed that certain foods (such as fast food and frozen meals) lack nutrition, and that by basing your diet on these foods you fail to get enough nutrition. This is incorrect. The problem with the foods you have identified is not that they lack nutrition, its the exact opposite. The foods you've identified provide too much nutrition, which makes over-consuming them much easier, which is a major component of obesity (the other major component being level of physical activity). The difference is important. Most "healthy" foods such as non-starchy vegetables actually have very little nutritional content, they're effectively empty filler which provide little more than trace minerals and vitamins which are often easily obtainable elsewhere.

The reason I intended to write "nutritious" rather than "nutritional" is because, in conventional English, "nutritious" has a slightly different usage than the more technical one that you're deploying here, and is typically defined as: "providing nourishment, especially to a high degree; nourishing; healthful" and in "a good, nutritious meal". Which, in the context of my original statement, was intended to be understood as "food that makes a good tradeoff between calories and micro / macro nutrients".

Also you seem to be writing from the perspective that the only reason to monitor your food intake is to lose weight, but that's only one of many reasons to control your eating habits. There are very good health based reasons to want to ensure a proper intake of vitamins, minerals, fiber, protein, etc.

quote:

And yes, people routinely engage in magical thinking when it comes to diet and nutrition. Lets say I have a couple of roasts, a head of lettuce, a few tomatoes, a bag of flour, some cheese and a nicely equipped kitchen. I mix up a batch of dough and bake a loaf of sandwich bread, then put a roast in the oven and run it through a slicer, then slice my tomato, lettuce & cheese and produce a nice roast beef sandwich. Now (using the same proportion of ingredients) I use the same batch of dough and bake some buns, then run the other roast through a meat grinder, cook the ground beef as a patty in a pan on the stove top, and put it all together with the sliced tomato, lettuce & cheese and produce a juicy cheeseburger. Now put the roast beef sandwich and the cheeseburger in front of a statistically significant population of people, and ask each of them which food is healthier than the other. I guarantee you a significant portion of those people will tell you the roast beef sandwich is healthier than the cheeseburger. Magical thinking at work, the same ingredients in the same proportion now have a different nutritional value in the minds of people due to nutritionally inconsequential differences in preparation method.

I didn't ask whether people engage in magical thinking regarding food because they obviously do and that's hardly controversial. I asked whether you think it's "magical thinking" that people link the heavy consumption of so called "junk food" with poorer long term health. Now your point about people misunderstand the difference (or rather lack of difference) between a roast beef sandwich and a cheeseburger is well taken but it doesn't actually demonstrate that 'junk food' is a useless category or that heavy consumption of junk food goes against the recommendations of basically every medical expert.

quote:

Another example of irrational thinking when it comes to diet is the often mentioned "fruits&vegetables". Fruits and vegetables are quite nutritionally different from each other, and there are also very significant differences within each group. Broccoli is not nutritionally equivalent to a potato, and an apple is not nutritionally equivalent to a tomato. Despite this, most people (and even many government nutrition guidelines) treat them as equivalents, which is not conducive to eating a healthy diet.

Well, first of all, most food guides will specify that you should eat green and or cruciferous vegetables, and they also tend to emphasize that you should eat a variety of different types of fruit and vegetables. So I don't believe the charge you're making here is fair at all, and if you actually spent a moment looking over those food guides I think you would know that. The health guides I've linked to provide perfectly common sense and more than adequate guidelines for the average shopper attending the average grocery store.

Your sandwich vs. burger example is a good one and I know people who have made that kind of fallacious reasoning. Your objection here to the recommendation to consume a lot of fruits and vegetables doesn't even remotely line up with the way anyone I've ever met thinks though, and there's no way to read any food guide I've ever seen and conclude that you can get away with nothing but tomatoes and potatoes.

quote:

As for the letter to the Lancet, its a letter written to make a rhetorical point, not lay out medially or scientifically sound nutrition facts. Their main point, that rising food costs are causing people to eat less healthy food, may have an element of truth but it also omits a bunch of really important points. That's fine for the letter's intended purpose (a political call to action about an issue), but not fine for a detailed discussion on the topic. About the cheapest meal you can buy is rice and dried beans, which is also a very nutritionally sound basis for a diet. The fact that people are eating lots of take out, chips, and tv dinners instead indicates there are far more factors impacting their decision on what to eat than price alone, because cheaper and healthier options exist which people aren't taking. Additionally, while food prices may have risen over the last few years, they are still generally low by historic rates. "Why are lots of people eating unhealthy diets" is a complex question, and the answer is a hell of a lot more complex than "because food prices went up".

All that the reference to the Lancet was meant to establish is what the general medical consensus on food is. It isn't supposed to be the final world on anything, it's supposed to be a jumping off point for a more substantive conversation on nutrition. This is also why I've augmented that letter by referring to and quoting from several different guides put out by the UK and US government on guidelines for healthy eating.

If you want to make intelligent and specific criticisms of those guidelines then I will hear you out with an open mind. What I find so remarkable about this thread is that they seem to be reenacting previous arguments they got into with no concern for the actual content of what I'm saying, leading to people repeatedly making counter arguments against the straw man claim that home cooked or fresh meals are inherently healthier, or people freaking out because "junk food" is a colloquialism rather than a technical term.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

PT6A posted:

Why not? I eat all those things occasionally, and I'm in good health and not overweight. We need to focus on why people are eating those things in such amounts, or with such frequency, that it becomes unhealthy.

Yes you eat then occasionally. I occasionally eat lovely food too, and I don't feel unhealthy.

How's about this. When I say something is "bad" for you, I mean that on a spectrum of "rarely eat" to "eat frequently if you want", it would sit near "rarely eat".

Broccoli would go on the other side of the spectrum- maybe eating broccoli ask the time of bad for you I'm not sure- but hey it's not absolutely good or bad, just at a different part of the frequency spectrum.

I think saying that frequently eating broccoli is better for you than frequently eating big macs is something we can agree on.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Count Roland posted:

Yes you eat then occasionally. I occasionally eat lovely food too, and I don't feel unhealthy.

How's about this. When I say something is "bad" for you, I mean that on a spectrum of "rarely eat" to "eat frequently if you want", it would sit near "rarely eat".

Broccoli would go on the other side of the spectrum- maybe eating broccoli ask the time of bad for you I'm not sure- but hey it's not absolutely good or bad, just at a different part of the frequency spectrum.

I think saying that frequently eating broccoli is better for you than frequently eating big macs is something we can agree on.

Actually mostly chips, I think apart from the sauce big macs aren't that terrible.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

PT6A posted:

Why not? I eat all those things occasionally, and I'm in good health and not overweight. We need to focus on why people are eating those things in such amounts, or with such frequency, that it becomes unhealthy.

"I'm poor and tired and I was never provided with healthy life management skills because my parents were also poor and tired, but when I eat McDonald's I feel okay for a while"

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Magic Hate Ball posted:

"I'm poor and tired and I was never provided with healthy life management skills because my parents were also poor and tired, but when I eat McDonald's I feel okay for a while"

Pretty much this.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

The last time I checked there wasn't any correlation between obesity and education or income levels.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

shrike82 posted:

The last time I checked there wasn't any correlation between obesity and education or income levels.

In America I'm pretty sure the poor are more likely to be overweight but then America is just a fat nation in general so that doesn't say a lot.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

http://frac.org/initiatives/hunger-and-obesity/are-low-income-people-at-greater-risk-for-overweight-or-obesity/

quote:

While all segments of the U.S. population are affected by obesity, one of the common myths that exists is that all or virtually all low-income people are far more likely to be obese. In this generalization, two facts commonly are overlooked: (1) the relationship between income and weight can vary by gender, race-ethnicity, or age and (2) disparities by income seem to be weakening with time.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Which is to say, yes, there's a correlation between poverty and obesity.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Narratives like the poor blue-collar worker pigging out on fast food due to poor impulse control strike me as educated people being patronizing more than anything else.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

OwlFancier posted:

Which is to say, yes, there's a correlation between poverty and obesity.

Whoops from the same page.
Couldn't wait to get your poor people are natural fatties rocks off eh.

quote:

However, this relationship between obesity and poverty “appears to no longer exist” as more recent NHANES data (2003 to 2006) suggest no difference in obesity rates between the two groups. In addition, rates of obesity increased by 62 percent among the poor and by 155 percent among the non-poor from 1971 to 2006.

Sorus
Nov 6, 2007
caustic overtones
At work (butcher for a regional supermarket) anything we pull that is about to go past sell by we freeze and food bank. Most trim from cutting gets ground up the next day.

We also have a delivery every other day so we keep our cooler and freezer light. The only time we run into a "over order" issue is when the warehouse does a force out and dumps extra cases of something we didn't order on us. And usually force outs are short dated.

I know the discussion has moved on a little from stores, so I apologize for bringing this back up. But at least some retailers do it right, yeah?

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Income and weight are related, but the relationship is a complicated one.

Pew Research posted:

Obesity varies considerably depending on gender, race, ethnicity and socioeconomic factors. In 2010, CDC researchers (using data from 2005-08) found that among black and Mexican-American men, obesity increased with income: 44.5% and 40.8% of those men are obese, respectively, at the highest income level, compared with 28.5% and 29.9% at the lowest level. Beyond that, though, the researchers found little correlation between obesity prevalence among men and either income or education.

Among women, obesity was indeed most prevalent at lower income levels: 42% of women living in households with income below 130% of the poverty level were obese, compared with 29% of women in households at or above 350% of poverty. But the correlation was significant only for white women, though the trend was similar for all racial and ethnic groups studied. (Poverty thresholds are set every year by the Census Bureau, and vary by family size and composition. In 2008, for instance, the poverty threshold for a single person under 65 was $11,201; for a two-adult, two-child household the threshold was $21,834.)

The most recent government report, covering 2011-12, found that obesity was significantly more common among black women (56.8%) than black men (37.1%). There was far less obesity among Asian Americans than other racial/ethnic groups: 10.8%, compared with 32.6% for whites, 42.5% for Hispanics and 47.8% for blacks. However, body shape and normal build varies by gender, race and ethnicity, and members of different demographic groups can have more or less body fat, even at the same BMI. For instance, as the researchers noted, “at a given BMI, Asian adults may have more body fat than white adults.”

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Count Roland posted:

You think fries are bad for you and broccolli is good for you but actually I think you'll find that if you eat nothing but broccoli you'll sicken and die of protein deficiencies, take that science.
-this thread

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Helsing posted:

If you go through the rest of that guide it regularly uses terms like "whole fruits", "whole grains", "processed meats", etc. and makes the same common sense warnings about how processed foods tend to be higher in additives such as sodium.

Since you currently are currently dismissing the CDC, Healthcare.gov and the warnings of actual doctors in the Lancet, and the healthy eating guide that you yourself just seemingly endorsed, maybe you could provide some sources and evidence for your repeated assertions, because frankly you do not have much credibility left.

helsing you are my favoritest D&D poster and I got no dog in this race until somebody trips the stats alarm, but you are way out of your field and way out of your league on this issue. and uncharacteristically oblivious to that fact. :smith:

you're not making a meaningful argument, and you're not listening when discendo vox and others (rightly, in my view) tell you that, with no further argument needed beyond stating it is nonsense. if you want to have a productive argument about nutrition (with which food waste is intrinsically linked), you really need to excise the colloquialisms and reliance on single papers/official guidelines. open letters are always loving garbage, in every field, and those guidelines are at best loose rules of thumbs--if they came with a quantified uncertainty estimate, it would certainly (HEH) be in medium to high double digits.

the relationship between nutrition science, eating behavior and food distribution is an extremely complex issue and there's just no dealing with it at the level you want to deal with it here. there's no positive case to be made along the lines you are trying to/want here. I guess get your minimum daily fat and protein based on your bodyweight. get your minimum daily caloric intake to maintain that weight. get your daily recommended dosage of vitamins. get health check-ups by your doctor and reduce sodium if it becomes a problem.

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.
Whenever the topic comes up, I always want to ask one question - how about a bit of a return to communal kitchens? You sacrifice flexibility (may not always get what you like) for efficiency (cooking for a hundred people is more efficient and easier to eliminate waste from than cooking for one, less time is spent overall preparing the food, it's easier to make the food up to health standards).

I mean, imagine a food chain with just the simplest food - meat bits/ fish, seafood/ legumes/ eggs as protein choices, rice/ pasta/ potatoes as carb choices, different vegetables. Hot soups where there's winter. Cake or something of the day for dessert. I think that, plus different seasonings, would cover basically 80% of what I eat, day to day. That piece of wild boar that's been sitting in a marinade for three days? Definitely an exception. And I imagine for most busy people it's similar.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Zodium posted:

helsing you are my favoritest D&D poster and I got no dog in this race until somebody trips the stats alarm, but you are way out of your field and way out of your league on this issue. and uncharacteristically oblivious to that fact. :smith:

Problem with talking about nutrition is that it's so easy to lapse into arguments that are basically "i eat like this and am healthy so why can't everyone do this".

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

meristem posted:

Whenever the topic comes up, I always want to ask one question - how about a bit of a return to communal kitchens? You sacrifice flexibility (may not always get what you like) for efficiency (cooking for a hundred people is more efficient and easier to eliminate waste from than cooking for one, less time is spent overall preparing the food, it's easier to make the food up to health standards).

I mean, imagine a food chain with just the simplest food - meat bits/ fish, seafood/ legumes/ eggs as protein choices, rice/ pasta/ potatoes as carb choices, different vegetables. Hot soups where there's winter. Cake or something of the day for dessert. I think that, plus different seasonings, would cover basically 80% of what I eat, day to day. That piece of wild boar that's been sitting in a marinade for three days? Definitely an exception. And I imagine for most busy people it's similar.
IMO the solution is cheap street food, like in Singapore. Same efficiency benefits and super tasty :getin:

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

shrike82 posted:

Problem with talking about nutrition is that it's so easy to lapse into arguments that are basically "i eat like this and am healthy so why can't everyone do this".

if people would honestly start from that position instead of trying to badly do parallel construction around those beliefs, based on what they think nutrition science says, the world would be a happier and healthier place.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.
In NYC a lot of people with well-paying stressful jobs *never* cook because for a single person living in an expensive area, it's often cheaper to eat out every meal, and there are enough healthy restaurants that it isn't going to kill you either. Supermarkets there are expensive and restaurant food is cheap.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

meristem posted:

It would definitely reduce food waste, but I don't know if that's a decent enough tradeoff for letting cooking skills wither.

Also the unstated assumption people have is that "if we wasted less food, we could give that food to poor people". There's no guarantee of that happening.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

computer parts posted:

Also the unstated assumption people have is that "if we wasted less food, we could give that food to poor people". There's no guarantee of that happening.

This. If it were profitable to sell extra food to poor people or starving third worlders, there would already be companies lining up to do so.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

blowfish posted:

This. If it were profitable to sell extra food to poor people or starving third worlders, there would already be companies lining up to do so.

Giving excess food to poor countries is also extremely bad for their food security long-term, since it will drive local food producers out of business and make those countries wholly dependent on continued foreign aid.

To be fair, though, most people in the thread were talking about giving food to food-insecure people in our own respective countries.

Sorus
Nov 6, 2007
caustic overtones
Food Bank stuff is state level, yeah? Sort of like how subsides for retailers that food bank are also state level. Is this something that can be kicked up to federal level?

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010
Added USDA study to the OP.

Good god, I go away from a weekend and things go to poo poo.

blowfish posted:

A lot of extra food is given to poor people (or agencies that distribute it to poor people, anyway) already, by a variety of organizations.

For instance, over 4000 organizations participate in the USDA's U.S. Food Waste Challenge.

Below is a partial list.

quote:

5280 Produce, Denver, CO
Donates wholesome unsold food through We Don’t Wasteexternal link
7-Eleven, Eastpointe, MI
Donates wholesome unsold food to Forgotten Harvest, Oak Park, MI
A&L Potato Company, Grand Forks, MN
Donates wholesome unsold food to North Country Food Bank, Inc., Crookston, MN
Abundant Foods, Denver, CO
Ace Eat Serve, Denver, CO
Adobe Gila's, Rosemont, IL
Participates in commercial compost program & recognized by Illinois Food Scraps Coalition's We Compost
Advantage Waypoint, Aurora, CO
Albertons (Albertson's/Safeway = 2,230 stores)
Aldi Inc. Springfield Division, Springfield, OH
Donates wholesome unsold food to multiple food banks in Ohio & West Virginia
Alfalfa's Market, Boulder, CO
Altamira Specialy Foods, Denver, CO
Antique Coach and Carriage, Chicago, IL
Participates in commercial compost program and recognized by Illinois Food Scraps Coalition's We Compost
Aramark – Philadelphia, PA external link
Aramark--Avalanche, Denver, CO
Aramark--Coors Field, Denver, CO
Aramark--Nuggets, Denver, CO
Aramark-Dick's Sporting Goods Park, Commerce City, CO
Artisanal Wilmette, Wilmette, IL
Participates in commercial compost program and recognized by Illinois Food Scraps Coalition's We Compost
Ashland Super One Foods, Ashland, WI
Donates wholesome unsold food to Second Harvest Northern Lakes Food Bankexternal link
Bake Fresh of Colorado, LLC, Commerce City, CO
Balena Restaurant, Chicago, IL
Bebo Naturals, Hilliard, OH
Donates wholesome unsold food to Mid-Ohio Foodbankexternal link
Belli’s Local Foods Market, Chicago, IL
Big Delicious Planet, Chicago, IL
Big Fat Cupcakes, Denver, CO
Big Red Tomato, Fort Pierce, FL
Donates wholesome unsold food to Treasure Coast Food Bankexternal link
Bistro Boys Catering, Denver, CO
BJs Wholesale Club, Ithaca, NY
Donates wholesome unsold food through Friendships Recovery Networkexternal link
BJs Wholesale Club, Westborough, MA
Donates wholesome unsold food to food banks.
Blind Faith Café, Evanston, IL
Blood Of The Lamb, Las Vegas, NV
Donates wholesome unsold food to Three Square Food Bankexternal link
Blue Man Group, Chicago, IL
Blue Point Bakery, Denver, CO
Boca Grande Farmers Market
Bogopa LIC, Inc., New York, NY
Donates wholesome unsold food to City Harvest New Yorkexternal link
Bon Appétit Management Company, Portland, OR
Boulder Brands, Henderson, CO
Buen Apetito, Chicago, IL
Buzz Café, Oak Park, IL
Cantigny Golf, Wheaton, IL
Cargill
The Great Corn Rescue
Carolina Hurricanes, National Hockey League Team
Donates wholesome unsold food through Rock and Wrap it Up! external link
Catch 35, Chicago, IL
Catering by Design, Denver, CO
Catering by Michael’s, Morton Grove, IL
Centerplate at Sports Authority Mile High, Denver, CO
Centerplate at the Denver Convention Center, Denver, CO
Centerplate Folsom Field, Boulder, CO
Centro de Adoración Familiar, Las Vegas, NV
Chaos Brew Club, Chicago, IL
Chefs’ Produce Co., Houston, TX
Donates wholesome unsold food to Houston Food Bankexternal link
Chelsea Catering United Airlines, Houston, TX
Chipotle – Ithaca, NY
Christina's Home Childcare, West Boylston, MA
Ciara Dawn LLC/7-11 Store, Denver, CO
City Fresh Market, Chicago, IL
Coca-Cola Refreshments, Pittston, PA
Donates wholesome unsold food to H & J Weinberg NE PA Regional Food Bank, Wilkes Barre, PA
Colorful Ranch, Denver, CO
Columbus Blue Jackets, National Hockey League Team
ConAgra Foods
Reduce Waste Generated by at lest 1 billion pounds by 2020
Coosemans-Denver, Inc., Denver, CO
Community Harvest of Stark County
Prepared and Perishable Food Rescue Program
Cornell Catering, Ithaca, NY
Cornell Dairy Store, Ithaca, NY
Cornell Orchards, Ithaca, NY
Donates wholesome unsold food through Friendships Recovery Network external link
Costco Business Center, Las Vegas, NV
Crystal Creamery, Modesto, CA
DALTA, Denver, CO
Dawn Food Products, Inc., Denver, CO
Defense Commisary Agency, Charleston, SC
Donates wholesome unsold food to Lowcountry Food Bank, Charleston, SC
Dental Professionals of Evanston, Evanston, IL
Denver Athletic Club, Denver, CO
Denver Botanic Gardens, Denver, CO
Denver Bread Company, Denver, CO
Denver Rescue Mission, Denver, CO
Denver Yard Harvest, Denver, CO
Dill Pickle Food Co-Op, Chicago, IL
Dirtt, Chicago, IL
DO&CO New York Catering Inc., New York, NY
Dr. Pepper Snapple Group, Cranberry Township, PA
Donates wholesome unsold food toGreater Pittsburgh Community Food Bank, Duquesne, PA
Duke’s Alehouse & Kitchen, Crystal Lake, IL
Duluth Entertainment Convention Center, Duluth, MN
Donates wholesome unsold food to Second Harvest Northern Lakes Food Bankexternal link
Eataly, Chicago, IL
Eban's Bakehouse, Grove City, OH
Eileen's Colossal Cookies, Highlands, CO
Einstein Bros Bagels, Lakewood, CO
Ela Family Farms, Hotchkiss, CO
ELAI, Niagara Falls, NY
Donates wholesome unsold food to the Food Bank of Western New Yorkexternal link
Elevated Catering, Denver, CO
Entertaining Company, Chicago, IL
Epicurean Culinary Group, Centennial, CO
Exdo Event Center, Denver, CO
Explorer Café, Chicago, IL
Fairway Market, New York = 7 locations
Famous Dave's BBQ, Denver, CO
Fermilab, Batavia, IL
Fig Catering, Chicago, IL
Five Roses Pub – Irish Food & Music House, Rosemont, IL
Flichia Wholesale Dist., Columbus, OH
Food Bank of the Rockies, Denver, CO
Food For Thought, Lincolnwood, IL
Food Emporium, New York= 13 locations
Food Lyon, Salisburg, NC
Donates wholesome unsold food to Lowcountry Food Bank, Carleston, SC
Food Physics & Body Dynamics, LLC, Wilmington, NC
Donates wholesome unsold food to the Food Bank of Central & Eastern North Carolinaexternal linkexternal link
FoodPlay Productions, Hatfield, MA
Donates wholesome unsold food to the Food Bank of Western Massachusetts, Hatfield, MAexternal link
Food Waste Reduction Alliance
(Food Marketing Institute, Grocery Manufacturers of America, National Restaurant Association)
Reduce, Recover, Recycle
Footers Catering, Denver, CO
Ford's Produce Co., Inc., Raleigh, NC
Donates wholesome unsold food to Inter-Faith Food Shuttle, Raleigh, NC
General Mills
Reduce solid waste generation by 50% from 2005 – 2015
Gigi's Cupcakes, Denver, CO
Gill Onions, LLC and Rio Farms, LLC
Converting Onion Waste
Glazed and Confuzed Donuts, Denver, CO
GMAK Capital, Mesa, AZ
Donates wholesome unsold food to United Food Bankexternal link
Goose Island Beer Company, Chicago, IL
Gourmet Fine Catering, Denver, CO
Gourmet To Go, Denver, CO
Grand Central Oyster Bar, New York, NY
Great Northern Tavern & Brewery, Denver, CO
Greenhouse Loft, Chicago, IL
Green Spirit Living, Chicago, IL
GreenStar Natural Foods Market, Ithaca, NY
Donates wholesome unsold food through Friendships Recovery Network external link
Grower's Organic, Denver, CO
Hamburger Mary’s, Chicago, IL
Hannaford Supermarket, MA, ME, NH, NY, VT = 224 stores
Hannah’s Bretzel, Chicago, IL
Happy Cakes, Denver, CO
Hardrock Cafe, Denver, CO
Harris Teeter, Matthew, NC
Donates wholesome unsold food to food banks
Heartland Cafe, Chicago, IL
Donates wholesome unsold food to
HEB, Houston, TX
Hofbräuhaus Chicago, Rosemont, IL
Home Fresh Sandwich & Bakery, Inc, Denver, CO
Hoosier Mama Pie Company, Chicago, IL
Howley Bread Company, dba Panera Bread (RI, CT, MA) = 28 locations
i-25 Productions, Castle Rock, CO
Indie Cafe, Chicago, IL
Ingather, Denver, CO
Innovation Center for U.S. Dairy
Dairy Power™ - Food Waste Repurposing to Renewable Energy and Nutrients
Ithaca Bakery, Ithaca, NY
John G. Shedd Aquarium, Chicago, IL
Juice Press, New York, NY = 12 stores
Julius Meinl, Chicago, IL = 2 locations
Katherine Anne Confections, Chicago, IL
Kellogg Company
Reduce, Recover, Recycle
Kings Bowl, Rosemont, IL
King's Food Products, Belleville, IL
Donates wholesome unsold food to St. Louis Area Foodbankexternal link
King Soopers/Exposition, Denver, CO
KM Concessions, Inc., Denver, CO
La Guli Pastry Shop, New York, NY
Latin Specialties LLC, Houston, TX
Donates wholesome unsold food to Houston Food Bank, Houston, TX
Le Pain Quotidien, New York, NY = 21 stores
Levy Restaurants, Denver, CO
Life Styles Catering, Lakewood, CO
Limehouse Produce Co., North Charleston, SC
Donates wholesome unsold food to Lowcountry Food Bank, Sharleston, SC
Local Root, Chicago, IL
Luke's a Steak Place, Wheat Ridge, CO
Maines Food & Party Warehouse, Binghamton, NY
Margaret Palca Bakes, New York, NY
Marion Street Cheese Market, Oak Park, IL
Marriott SpringHill Suites, Denver, CO
May Trucking Co., Denver, CO
MB Financial Park, Rosemont, IL
McClure's Pickles, Detroit, MI
Donates wholesome unsold food to Forgotten Harvest, City Harvest New York, & Gleaners Community Food Bank of Southeastern Michiganexternal link
McDonald's Restaurants of Hawaii = 72 restaurants
Merage & Allon Hillel Center @ DU, Denver, CO
Metro Care Ring, Denver, CO
Donates wholesome unsold food through We Don’t Waste
Milwaukee Brewers, Major League Baseball Team
Donate wholesome unsold food through Rock and Wrap it Up! external link
MM Local, Boulder, CO
Moe's Bagels, Denver, CO
NBC Universal
Donates wholesome leftover food through Rock and Wrap it Up! external link
NestFresh, Denver, CO
Oatworks, New York, NY
OccasionsCatering, Denver, CO
Old Major, Denver, CO
Omega Marketing, Denver, CO
Onion Pub & Brewery, Lake Barrington, IL
Ovie Bar and Grill, Chicago, IL
Palm Restaurant, Denver, CO
Panera Bread -- Bakery Cafe, New York = 8 locations
P&C Fresh, Ithaca, NY
Perennial Virant, Chicago, IL
Philadelphia Flyers, National Hockey League Team
Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine, Washington, DC
Piggly Wiggly Carolina Company, Summerville, SC
Portland Fruit Tree Project, Portland, OR
Donates wholesome unsold food to Oregon Food Bank, Portland, OR
Premium Waters, Inc., Greenville, TN
Donates wholesome unsold food to Second Harvest Food Bank of Northeast Tennessee, Kingsport, TN
Preston Cafe & Grill, Chicago, IL
Pret A Manger, New York, NY = 39 stores
Project Angel Heart, Denver, CO
Publix Super Markets, Inc., Lakeland, FL external link
Pure Kitchen Catering, Chicago, IL
Putney Food Co-op, Putney, VT
Q Center, St. Charles, IL
Quince, Evanston, IL
Ready Care Industries, Inc. , Aurora, CO
Regional Access, Ithaca, NY
Relish Catering & Events, Lakewood, CO
Renegade Foods, Denver, CO
Ron Ben-Israel Cakes, New York, NY
Rose Medical Center, Denver, CO
Rosenberg's Bagels, Denver, CO
Rush Oak Park Hospital, Oak Park, IL
Rustle + Roux, Chicago, IL
Safeway (Albertson's/Safeway = 2,230 stores)
Safeway/6th & Corona, Denver, CO
Sage Hospitality, Denver, CO
Sandwich Me In, Chicago, IL
Sam's Club, North Las Vegas, NV
Scales Pharmacy, Denver, CO
SCRATCHbread, New York, NY
Sea Island Resort, Sea Island, GA
Seattle Fish Company, Denver, CO
Seven Generations Ahead, Oak Park, IL
Shearton Denver Downtown, Denver, CO
Silverstein Properties, Inc., New York, NY
Sky Zone, Lewis Center, OH
Smith’s Food and Drug, Las Vegas, NV
Smith’s Food and Drug, Henderson, NV
Smith’s Food & Drug, Las Vegas, NV
Sodexo-Wellpoint, Lakewood, CO
Sony Pictures Entertainment
Donate wholesome leftover food through Rock and Wrap it Up! external link
Sparta Foods, Denver, CO
Steven Roberts Original Desserts, Denver, CO
Sullivan Street Bakery, New York, NY
Support Memphis Football Group, Memphis, TN
Donates wholesome unsold food to Mid-South Food Bankexternal link
Sustainable America, Stemford, CT
Sysco Foods-Denver, Denver, CO
Taddonio Family Foundation, Denver, CO
Target, Las Vegas, NV
The Blackstone Group, New York, NY
The Chopping Block, Chicago, IL
The Field Bistro, Chicago, IL
The Field Museum, Chicago, IL
The H.T. Hackney Co., Gahanna, OH
The Morton Arboretum – The Ginkgo Restaurant, Lisle, IL
Three Tomatoes Catering, Denver, CO
Toby Keith’s I Love This Bar and Grill, Rosemont, IL
Tom Cat Bakery, New York, NY
Tony Rosacci's Fine Catering, Centennial,CO
Tops Supermarkets, Ithaca, NY
Uncommon Ground, Chicago, IL = 2 locations
Unilever
Zero Food Waste Going to Landfill from 22 Plants and Headquarters
Reducing Waste in Our Agricultural Supply Chain
Engaging Consumers and Customers to Reduce Food Waste
United States Navy, Corpus Christi, TX
Donates wholesome unsold food to The Food Bank of Corpus Christiexternal link
Vie Restaurant, Western Springs, IL
Wakefern Food Corporation
Walgreens, Evanston, IL
Walmart, Bentonville, AR
Donates wholesome unsold food to food banks
Walmart, Kingsville, TX
Donates wholesome unsold food to The Food Bank of Corpus Christiexternal link
Walmart, Port St. Lucie, FL
Donates wholesome unsold food to Treasure Coast Food Bankexternal link
Walmart,, Surfside Beach, SC
Warner Bros. Entertainment, Inc.
Donates wholesome leftover food through Rock and Wrap it Up! external link
Washington Capitals, National Hockey League Team
Waxie Sanitary Supply, Denver, CO
Webb deVlam, Chicago, IL
Wegmans, Ithaca, NY
Wegmans – Rochester, NY external link
Sustainable America, Stamford, CT
Wegmans's, Rochester, NY
Westin Denver Downtown, Denver, CO
Whole Foods Co-Op, Duluth, MN
Whole Foods S. Washington St., Denver, CO
Whole Foods Market, Colorado Blvd., Glendale, CO
Whole Foods,-Cherry Creek, Denver, CO
Winn Dixie, FL = 8 locations
Wyandot Snacks, Marion, OH
Yard House, Denver, CO
Yours Truly Cupcake, Denver, CO
Zullo’s Inc., Chicago, IL

Universities and Colleges

ACRES Student Farm - University of Wyoming, Laramie, WY
Benedictine University, Lisle, IL
Boston University, Boston, MA
Campus Kitchens Project, Multiple Locations = 38 schools
Central Michigan University
Zero Waste in Campus Dining
Chartwells at Lamar University, Vidor, TX
City College of San Francisco, San Francisco, CA
College of Charleston
Campus Organics Recovery
Columbia College, Chicago, IL
DePaul University Student Center, Chicago, IL
Food Recovery Network = 84 members
Kendall College, Chicago, IL
Lewis & Clark Community College, Godfrey, IL
Loyola University, Chicago, IL
Luther College, Decorah, Iowa
Metro State University of Denver, Denver, CO
North Central College, Naperville, IL
Northestern State University, Tahlequah, OK
Principia College, Elsah, IL
Pulaski Technical College, Little Rock, AR
Roosevelt University Dining Services, Chicago, IL
San Jose State University/Spartan Shops, San Jose, CA
School of the Art Institute of Chicago, Chicago, IL
St. Matthews Episcopal Church – The Green Team, Evanston, IL
University of Arizona Compost Cats, Tucson, AZ
University of California - Riverside, Riverside, CA
University of Colorado-Anschutz Medical Center, Aurora, CO
Donates wholesome unsold food through We Don’t Waste
University of Missouri- Kansas City (UMKC)
Composting and Food Waste Reduction ProgramI
University of Minnesota Duluth Dining Services, Duluth, MN
Donates wholesome unsold food to Second Harvest Northern Lakes Food Bank
University of North Texas
Waste Free UNT: Feed People, Not Landfills
University of Oregon
Zero Waste Program
University of Texas, The Michael & Susan Dell Center for Healthy Living
Michael & Susan Dell Center for Healthy Living's Food Waste Challenge

Counties

Franklin County Courthouse and Correctional Centers, Franklin County, OH
King County, Washington
Ramsey County, MN
Orange County Sheriff's Department, Orange, CA

State Government Agencies

Connecticut Department of Energy & Environmental Protection (DEEP)

K-12 Schools

Academy for Global Citizenship, Chicago, IL
Alexander Valley School - Healdsburg, CA
Ashlawn Elementary School - Arlington, VA
Food Bus
Bendle Public Schools, Burton, MI = 2 schools
Boulder Valley School District - CO = 25 schools
Carmel Clay School District - Carmel, IN = 5 schools
Chesterbrook Elementary School - McLean, VA
Works with Food Bus to donate wholesome unsold food to local food pantries.
Chisago Lakes School District, Lindstrom, MN = 4 schools
Crown Point Community School Corporation - Crown Point, IN
Dallas Independent School District = 227 schools
Gesher Jewish Day School - Fairfax, VA
Glebe Elementary School - Arlington, VA
Greeley School - Winnetka, IL
Greenfield Elementary Schools - Fairfield, MT
Gregori High School - Modesto, CA
Haycock Elementary School - Falls Church, VA
Homewood Middle School - Homewood, AL
Hubbard Woods Elementary School - Winnetka, IL
Ketterling High School - Waterford, MI
Manteca Unified School District - Manteca, CA = 31 schools
Mason Middle School - Waterford, MI
Meriden Public Schools - Meriden, CT = 13 schools
Modesto City Schools - Modesto, CA = 34 schools
Mott High School - Waterford, MI
Napa Valley Unified School District = 29 schools
Odyssey Charter School - Palm Bay, FL
Ostego Public Schools - Ostego, MI = 6 schools
Pierce Middle School - Waterford, MI
Plainfield Community School Corporation - Plainfield, IN = 2 schools
Works with K-12 Food Rescue to donate wholesome unsold food to local hunger relief organizations.
Portage Township Schools - Portage, IN = 11 schools
Works with K-12 Food Rescue to donate wholesome unsold food to local hunger relief organizations.
Red Lake School District - MN = 5 schools
River Rouge School District - MI = 4 schools
San Bruno Park School District = 4 schools
School City of Hammond - Hammond, IN = 22 schools
Shelby Public Schools - Shelby, MI = 4 schools
Silver Stage Elementary School
Garden, Compost, and Waste Reduction Project
Sleepy Hollow Elementary School - Falls Church, VA
St. Bridgid Catholic School - Micland, MI
St Francis Communities - Salina, Kansas = 1 school
St. Johns Lutheran School - Rochester, NY
St. Paul Public Schools = 99 schools
St. Thomas Aquinas School - Indianapolis, IN
Tawas Area Schools - Tawas, MI = 3 schools
Temple Rodef Shalom Nursery School - Falls Church, VA
Travilah Elementary School - North Potomac, MD
Trenton Special School District - Trenton, TN = 3 schools
Upland Unified School District - Upland, CA = 14 schools
Vancouver School District - Vancouver, WA = 34 schools
Waconia Public Schools - MN = 5 schools

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

Sorus posted:

Food Bank stuff is state level, yeah? Sort of like how subsides for retailers that food bank are also state level. Is this something that can be kicked up to federal level?

There are national, regional, state, and local level food banks and pantries. It's a pretty complex ecosystem and the Federal government is involved. Here are some things the USDA has been doing. Amusingly, they misquote their own study.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

wateroverfire posted:

Below is a partial list.

Holy gently caress, did you actually need to copy/paste a giant fuckoff list instead of just putting a link there?

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

WampaLord posted:

Holy gently caress, did you actually need to copy/paste a giant fuckoff list instead of just putting a link there?

It illustrates a point, so yes!

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Zodium posted:

you're not making a meaningful argument, and you're not listening when discendo vox and others (rightly, in my view) tell you that, with no further argument needed beyond stating it is nonsense. if you want to have a productive argument about nutrition (with which food waste is intrinsically linked), you really need to excise the colloquialisms and reliance on single papers/official guidelines. open letters are always loving garbage, in every field, and those guidelines are at best loose rules of thumbs--if they came with a quantified uncertainty estimate, it would certainly (HEH) be in medium to high double digits.

Well, first of all thanks for the compliment. One of the reasons I like posting here is because I can test out arguments and have people tell me what an idiot I am from a position of relative anonymity, which is quite freeing in a way. At times aggressively arguing a point is the best way to get a reality check on whether you're right or whether you're just saying things that, if you weren't an anonymous person on the internet, would mark you out as some kind of doofus. I'd rather have my bozo erruptions on the internet, so here we are. But that having been said, it's far from clear to me that that's what is happening here.

So if you can actually help explicate what you think I've gotten wrong here I'd appreciate it. So far though I don't think I've staked out any unreasonable positions. I also don't think I'm relying so much on any individual paper as I am relying on the broad scientific consensus about health -- or maybe, more accurately, the way that this scientific consensus is presented to the public. That's obviously not a guarantee that I'm right but I think it at least puts the burden of proof on you, Discendo Vox, etc. to explain your own positions and to articulate an alternative position.

Here's a proposed definition for 'junk food' ripped straight from wikipedia. I don't see what's wrong with it as a starting point for discussing nutrition but I'm genuinely curious to hear your objections:

Obviously you couldn't use this definition to formulate an actual policy response. But if we're discussing how to maintain a healthy diet then the advice "limit your intake of junk food", using this definition of junk food, then I don't see why that's bad or remotely controversial advice to give. If anything the real objection here would seem to be that the term junk food is so tautological that you might as well just say "avoid unhealthy foods". But again, "avoid eating unhealthy food" isn't bad advice, it's just advice that needs to be complemented by more specific instructions or nutritional guidelines.

I also do not understand why people are so upset at the idea that someone might recommend that a grocery shopper "eat a variety of fresh foods and vegetables (in particular green cruciferous vegetables), try to make at least half the grains you consume whole grains, and try to limit your intake of processed meats" is such terrible advice? Even the guidelines posted by Discendo Vox linked to a food eating guide with exactly that advice. What, specifically, is wrong with it?

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

wateroverfire posted:

Added USDA study to the OP.

Good god, I go away from a weekend and things go to poo poo.

A lot of extra food is given to poor people (or agencies that distribute it to poor people, anyway) already, by a variety of organizations.

For instance, over 4000 organizations participate in the USDA's U.S. Food Waste Challenge.

Below is a partial list.

That's all charity, not for-profit.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

Helsing posted:

Here's a proposed definition for 'junk food' ripped straight from wikipedia. I don't see what's wrong with it as a starting point for discussing nutrition but I'm genuinely curious to hear your objections:
Just to start the definition directly contradicts itself. It can't decide whether high protein foods are junk or not, whether all fats should be treated equally or if specific fats need specific consideration. The definition has several other problems with regards to whether it's useful, but we can't even use it to classify things in the first place.

quote:

Obviously you couldn't use this definition to formulate an actual policy response.
Yeah this seems like a problem.

quote:

But if we're discussing how to maintain a healthy diet then the advice "limit your intake of junk food", using this definition of junk food, then I don't see why that's bad or remotely controversial advice to give. [...] But again, "avoid eating unhealthy food" isn't bad advice, it's just advice that needs to be complemented by more specific instructions or nutritional guidelines.
This is specifically bad advice if you are relying on people's existing understanding of unhealthy food, because the population is manifestly not as healthy as we would like. Any plan that begins with "Step one: Tell people to be healthier" is better off just taking that out of the plan. How did you end up in a place where you thought saying "avoid eating unhealthy food" is a good idea?

quote:

I also do not understand why people are so upset at the idea that someone might recommend that a grocery shopper "eat a variety of fresh foods and vegetables (in particular green cruciferous vegetables), try to make at least half the grains you consume whole grains, and try to limit your intake of processed meats" is such terrible advice? Even the guidelines posted by Discendo Vox linked to a food eating guide with exactly that advice. What, specifically, is wrong with it?
"Processed meats" doesn't make any sense as a category, there's no health related reason to prefer fresh foods over frozen, canned, or otherwise preserved foods, half your grains being whole grains is obviously arbitrary, and I'd wager your average shopper isn't capable of evaluating that ratio anyways. It's not that this is bad advice necessarily, people following this advice will probably end up ok, it's just advice that displays a fundamental ignorance about what words mean.

twodot fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Mar 28, 2016

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

The vagueness of the "junk food" category is a reason not to use it for formulating government policy, not a reason not to use it in casual conversation when you're talking about nutrition.

And the health related reason for being cautious about processed foods, which has been explained to the point of tedium by now, is that processed foods are vastly more likely to contain high levels of sugar, sodium, trans-fats, etc. Why are you even bothering to post in this thread if you're not going to try and reply to the actual arguments being made there? You haven't even tried to refute that argument.

If you want to dispute that processed food items in the grocery store are the main source of sugar, unhealthy fats, sodium, etc. then go ahead and actually make that argument instead of just repeating the completely irrelevant fact that processed food isn't inherently less healthy just by virtue of having been processed. And maybe you can at least explain why so many doctors and nutritionists are using "processed food" or "processed meats" as a heuristic for evaluating health if, as you claim, it's so utterly worthless a category that only a charlatan would apparently try to use it.

twodot posted:

How did you end up in a place where you thought saying "avoid eating unhealthy food" is a good idea?

Because every single actual food guide then gives some actual examples of junk food. So yes, I would say that warning consumers against "eating unhealthy foods, such as the following" is a good starting point.

quote:

I'd wager your average shopper isn't capable of evaluating that ratio anyways. It's not that this is bad advice necessarily, people following this advice will probably end up ok, it's just advice that displays a fundamental ignorance about what words mean.

This is almost as dumb as the argument that that advising people to eat fresh vegetables might be interpreted as saying that they can exclusively eat potato and remain healthy. By the time someone has gotten to the point of actually following a food guide I am pretty sure that they can take the additional step of distinguishing between steel cut oats and wonder bread.

I would also like to know why you, some random internet poster on the Something Awful forums who hasn't presented any obvious qualifications, are so comfortable declaring that food guides put together by actual health organizations and medical professionals are displaying "a fundamental ignorance about what words mean". Like, you're not just saying "oh this is a bit simplistic" you're actually apparently claiming that these food guides must have been prepared by people who are vastly less qualified than you are. That's a pretty serious claim that might require some actual positive proof.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Helsing posted:

By the time someone has gotten to the point of actually following a food guide I am pretty sure that they can take the additional step of distinguishing between steel cut oats and wonder bread.

This basically sums up why 90% of food advice just doesn't work.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

Helsing posted:

And the health related reason for being cautious about processed foods, which has been explained to the point of tedium by now, is that processed foods are vastly more likely to contain high levels of sugar, sodium, trans-fats, etc. Why are you even bothering to post in this thread if you're not going to try and reply to the actual arguments being made there? You haven't even tried to refute that argument.
Why would I bother to refute that argument when my argument is that "processed foods" as a category doesn't make any sense? There's an arbitrary number of processes that get applied to food. If you're concerned about a particular process you should name it, being concerned about all processes is like being concerned about all GMOs.

quote:

And maybe you can at least explain why so many doctors and nutritionists are using "processed food" or "processed meats" as a heuristic for evaluating health if, as you claim, it's so utterly worthless a category that only a charlatan would apparently try to use it.
It's going to be a mix of strategies, some of them are definitely charlatans. Some of them might have a ends justify the means approach and if they make noises about processed foods they might be able to convince their patients on things that actually matter like smoking or drinking. I don't know, ask them.

quote:

Because every single actual food guide then gives some actual examples of junk food. So yes, I would say that warning consumers against "eating unhealthy foods, such as the following" is a good starting point.
The words that follow "such as the following" are the only words in that sentence matter, and are also the only words you didn't write down.

quote:

This is almost as dumb as the argument that that advising people to eat fresh vegetables might be interpreted as saying that they can exclusively eat potato and remain healthy. By the time someone has gotten to the point of actually following a food guide I am pretty sure that they can take the additional step of distinguishing between steel cut oats and wonder bread.
This seems in direct contradiction with your earlier assertion that educating people that you can eat too many Cheetos is a reasonable thing to do.

quote:

I would also like to know why you, some random internet poster on the Something Awful forums who hasn't presented any obvious qualifications, are so comfortable declaring that food guides put together by actual health organizations and medical professionals are displaying "a fundamental ignorance about what words mean". Like, you're not just saying "oh this is a bit simplistic" you're actually apparently claiming that these food guides must have been prepared by people who are vastly less qualified than you are. That's a pretty serious claim that might require some actual positive proof.
What? This isn't a thing that your prove through empiricism, someone either has a nonsensical definitions of "processed" or "junk food" or they don't. You do, you posted a definition that is contradictory, and I haven't seen one from you for processed. It may be that actual health organizations and medical professionals have some good definitions stashed away somewhere, but I haven't seen it.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

You're not in an argument not with me but with what appears to be the received nutritional wisdom of almost the entire medical establishment. I've presented multiple different nutritional guidelines that use the term processed food. Your quarrel is now with a large number of doctors and health professionals. Go quote from their studies and then critique them and explain why your own perspective is superior.

I'm not someone who thinks that a layperson should never argue with an expert, because even experts can be wrong. But when the expert consensus is against you it becomes your job to explain why you know better than them, and until you put at least a tiny bit of effort into doing that I'm going to start treating you like some crank who claims that the scientific consensus on global warming is totally wrong because you say it is for reasons you don't feel like revealing.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

Helsing posted:

You're not in an argument not with me but with what appears to be the received nutritional wisdom of almost the entire medical establishment. I've presented multiple different nutritional guidelines that use the term processed food. Your quarrel is now with a large number of doctors and health professionals. Go quote from their studies and then critique them and explain why your own perspective is superior.

I'm not someone who thinks that a layperson should never argue with an expert, because even experts can be wrong. But when the expert consensus is against you it becomes your job to explain why you know better than them, and until you put at least a tiny bit of effort into doing that I'm going to start treating you like some crank who claims that the scientific consensus on global warming is totally wrong because you say it is for reasons you don't feel like revealing.
Ok from your guide:

quote:

Processed meats and processed poultry (e.g., sausages, luncheon meats, bacon, and beef jerky) are products preserved by smoking, curing, salting, and/or the addition of chemical preservatives.
While sausage making was traditionally a preservation process, it is not intrinsic to making, so we've got an expert that is contradicting themself in the same sentence because for some reason they thought saying "processed" was smart when they clearly actually meant "preserved". This is a workable definition of processed, but why in the world would use processed in this context when it's just an obfuscation of preserved? If this person is an expert at nutrition, they are surely not an expert at composition. Processed remains a garbage word. This guide is also suggesting people eat less meat generally, and doesn't seem to state that processed meats are any worse than other meats, so it seems further unnecessary.

If you think processed is a good word to use, you should have a good definition available, I can't prove the negative that there are no good definitions whatsoever, just observe I've yet to see one.
edit:
For fun, contrast that definition with my top search result for processed food:

quote:

More generally, virtually every food that has a label is processed. Virtually every food that comes in a box, bag, jar, or can is processed.

twodot fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Mar 28, 2016

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Helsing posted:

Well, first of all thanks for the compliment. One of the reasons I like posting here is because I can test out arguments and have people tell me what an idiot I am from a position of relative anonymity, which is quite freeing in a way. At times aggressively arguing a point is the best way to get a reality check on whether you're right or whether you're just saying things that, if you weren't an anonymous person on the internet, would mark you out as some kind of doofus. I'd rather have my bozo erruptions on the internet, so here we are. But that having been said, it's far from clear to me that that's what is happening here.

So if you can actually help explicate what you think I've gotten wrong here I'd appreciate it. So far though I don't think I've staked out any unreasonable positions. I also don't think I'm relying so much on any individual paper as I am relying on the broad scientific consensus about health -- or maybe, more accurately, the way that this scientific consensus is presented to the public. That's obviously not a guarantee that I'm right but I think it at least puts the burden of proof on you, Discendo Vox, etc. to explain your own positions and to articulate an alternative position.

your positions aren't unreasonable as such, but they aren't sound (or useful) either, and I think that's the critique that's being levied. your mistake, and I'm really just speculating here, is that you seem to think the science itself is reasonably solid, so it's probably okay to abstract away a bit with terms like "junk food."

that's not the case. your average nutrition science argument is an inferential piece of garbage that barely manages to hold a causal chain together long enough to get published. there's just no room for further abstraction, and your attempts force you to make a case that is essentially meaningless. I don't think you can shift the burden of evidence on to Discendo Vox because there is no burden of evidence to shift (that I can see) without turning this into a straight methodological argument that you're not competent to have with him anyway.

if you're happy with the "received nutritional wisdom of almost the entire medical establishment," then I can't stop you, but in my view (and I would guess Discendo Vox's view), we just don't, in any way shape or form, have good enough scientific answers to these questions about how to construct policy or guidelines about what people should eat. how much, maybe. wanting answers very badly will not make them appear, which is why open letters and guidelines tend to be garbage: they present the "best" argument, but rarely note that the best argument is often just the tallest dwarf in the room.

twodot seems ok too I guess, but you can't really trust a man with no avatar

Zodium fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Mar 28, 2016

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

twodot posted:

Ok from your guide:

While sausage making was traditionally a preservation process, it is not intrinsic to making, so we've got an expert that is contradicting themself in the same sentence because for some reason they thought saying "processed" was smart when they clearly actually meant "preserved". This is a workable definition of processed, but why in the world would use processed in this context when it's just an obfuscation of preserved? If this person is an expert at nutrition, they are surely not an expert at composition. Processed remains a garbage word. This guide is also suggesting people eat less meat generally, and doesn't seem to state that processed meats are any worse than other meats, so it seems further unnecessary.

If you think processed is a good word to use, you should have a good definition available, I can't prove the negative that there are no good definitions whatsoever, just observe I've yet to see one.

Do you have any familiarity with these debates at all? The definition of "Processed food" isn't exactly obscure and the fact you're acting like it's some kind of ambiguous or airy word is making me suspect that you don't have even a passing familiarity with basic nutritional guidelines. You also don't appear to know what a "contradiction" actually is (you're accusing him of being redundant, not contradictory, but that's a whole other issue).

I'm starting to think you probably never even thought about any of these issues prior to starting that pedantic little derail about junk food, and now you're flailing around for someway to make your original argument tenable by trying to play word games. You don't appear to have anything of interest to say about the actual science of nutrition and frankly even your language games are subpar.

Zodium posted:

your positions aren't unreasonable as such, but they aren't sound (or useful) either, and I think that's the critique that's being levied. your mistake, and I'm really just speculating here, is that you seem to think the science itself is reasonably solid, so it's probably okay to abstract away a bit with terms like "junk food."

that's not the case. your average nutrition science argument is an inferential piece of garbage that barely manages to hold a causal chain together long enough to get published. there's just no room for further abstraction, and your attempts force you to make a case that is essentially meaningless. I don't think you can shift the burden of evidence on to Discendo Vox because there is no burden of evidence to shift (that I can see) without turning this into a straight methodological argument that you're not competent to have with him anyway.

if you're happy with the "received nutritional wisdom of almost the entire medical establishment," then I can't stop you, but in my view (and I would guess Discendo Vox's view), we just don't, in any way shape or form, have good enough scientific answers to these questions about how to construct policy or guidelines about what people should eat. how much, maybe. wanting answers very badly will not make them appear, which is why open letters and guidelines tend to be garbage: they present the "best" argument, but rarely note that the best argument is often just the tallest dwarf in the room.

twodot seems ok too I guess, but you can't really trust a man with no avatar

Well, first of all, I really admire your willingness to stake out a position that amounts to: "we're stuck in a veil of radical ignorance and can't really make any strong or binding statement about nutrition". I'll point out that nobody else has been honest enough to say anything like that. Instead twodot and Discendo Vox are implicitly presenting themselves as higher authorities than actual medical professionals and I find that quite silly. If they were simply saying "you know the science of nutrition is in it's infancy and we just can't know much about healthy eating" then I'd have more respect for them, even if I didn't entirely agree. What I find ridiculous is that they're doing this very typical form of nerd-arguing where you take on an authoritative tone and hope the other person will be intimidated enough to stop arguing, even though there's very little substantive argument to support any of your points.

I think you can levy some intelligent criticisms against nutrition science. Just look at the changing opinions on the value of fibre or the recent reversal on dietary cholesterol or certain forms of dietary fat. These all give us reasons to be cautious.

However, the fact we should be cautious is not an excuse to ignore the available data. And one thing that the data seems to repeatedly reveal, and which I don't think any serious experts dispute, is that you should be very diligent about what kind of additives are contained in the processed food that you purchase. If the processed food in question is just a bag of chopped and frozen veggies for a stir fry or pasteurized milk then you're fine but if you're buying canned food or microwavable meals or various types of meat then you should really pay attention to what is on the label. In other words: because of everything we know about how food companies make and sell food, anything processed should make you stop for a moment and examine the label. This is totally reasonable and sound advice.

I feel like the more one actually looks at the specific and detailed advice on offer, the harder it is to object. Are you really going to dispute that 11 grain bread is overall healthier than wonder bread? Do you really think it's bad advice to eat a lot of fresh fruit and green vegetables, when this food is known to be both satiating and filled with micro-nutrients?

I guess we could start to really get into the nettles of studies suggesting a link between the consumption of processed meats and heart disease. Here's a woman who specializes in epidemiology at Harvard discussing a meta-study that showed a strong link between eating "processed meats" (her words) and heart attacks, strokes and diabetes. They found a huge difference between consuming processed and unprocessed red meats when it came to your risk from those health problems.

Gahmah
Nov 4, 2009
You're arguments sound similar to "why don't poors just get better jobs" Helsing.

I know if I was still working my 11 hours shifts at domino's I'd be more riled up by your claim of just cook gooder.

Anyways, what is reasonable way to change the amount of food going to consumers?
Legislation on portions or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Honestly, it looks more and more like the best nutrition advice is "eat a variety of stuff, and make sure you're hitting your calorie target." Barring people with special dietary needs, of course.

• Locked thread