Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pisshead
Oct 24, 2007
I have set a binding to turn off flight assist, but it doesn't do anything. Is this a known bug or am I missing something? Same goes for several other bindings, they don't do anything. I haven't played for a few months, when I came back I couldn't even move the mouse until I enabled 'headlook' in the options.

edit: I can't use the menus either.

pisshead fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Mar 27, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arach
Oct 3, 2003

Dive! Dive! Di... are you diving yet?
Grimey Drawer

Helter Skelter posted:

Pretty much all of them. The Cutter is debatable, though, thanks to its poo poo maneuverability.

After a few days in the Cutter. It is kinda garbage, then I realized it has some overtop yaw action like the Clipper so you can do okay with it, but you need to lean hard into the yaw.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
How hard would it be to put accelerometers in a helmet? I have an idea for using my head as a 6dof controller.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

That's EDTracker, you can either buy one or build it yourself. http://edtracker.org.uk/

Technically this is 3DoF, not that it really matters for Elite.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

So my A class Python is fun and a pretty good killing machine (typically 3-4 million in hour in a semi decent RES... beams and point blank frag cannons are pretty good) but I want to try mining just for the hell of it. Recommendations to start? I would like to buy and equip a smaller ship from scratch, no more than $5-7 million preferably.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

slidebite posted:

So my A class Python is fun and a pretty good killing machine (typically 3-4 million in hour in a semi decent RES... beams and point blank frag cannons are pretty good) but I want to try mining just for the hell of it. Recommendations to start? I would like to buy and equip a smaller ship from scratch, no more than $5-7 million preferably.

This Cobra IV or similar; you can get a pricier refinery, swap the small cargo rack for another collector limpet, etc.

You can also use a Type-6 or an Asp, though the latter is quite a bit pricier. You can also convert your Python to an excellent miner if you want to go hog wild with it.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Thinking of something smaller than my Python so I can try it and if it sucks not a huge loss if I sell it off. Appreciate the build recommendations. :)

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I take it there's no way to make the HUD blue to match the imperial ships I fly, but keep enemies red on the radar?

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

slidebite posted:

Thinking of something smaller than my Python so I can try it and if it sucks not a huge loss if I sell it off. Appreciate the build recommendations. :)

Refitting your Python is the path of lowest loss, modules sell back for 100% and hulls do not. If you want to actually get a feel for it and you have the means, why not do it right?

Unsinkabear fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Mar 27, 2016

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Truga posted:

I take it there's no way to make the HUD blue to match the imperial ships I fly, but keep enemies red on the radar?
I wish. The lack of granularity on HUD color customization is a recurring point of annoyance for me.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Your Loyal Vizier posted:

Refitting your Python is the path of lowest loss, modules sell back for 100% and hulls do not. If you want to actually get a feel for it and you have the means, why not do it right?
Really? I thought modules were 90% now?

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

You can change the HUD colour, but it resets every time there is an update. http://arkku.com/elite/hud_editor/

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I changed the hud colour in my %applocal%\..\local xml thing and it persists through updates. There's instructions for that on your url.

The issue is, there's no way to set distinct stuff, just the silly RGB matrix. What I have now is okay, but ideally I'd love to have bright green text/indicators on a dark blue background with red alerts/enemies on radar.

Maybe someone someday will trick the matrix into doing that, but I've been trying different weird combinations of negative numbers for over 30 minutes now and it looks like it's no-go :shobon:

Natsuumi
Jun 13, 2003

Natsuumi's gone.
I'm Cherlene now.

slidebite posted:

No, modules sell for 100%. Hulls and anything attached to them sell at 90%.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

slidebite posted:

Frontier tried to change it to be 90% as well, but the outcry from the player base was so loud that they decided otherwise. :v:

Prettypanda
Nov 11, 2008

Is there a limit on the size of bounties, or will all of my fines convert over at the end of the timer?

TacticalNecromancy
May 25, 2015

Just started playing the game in the bog-standard shitboat. Loving the visuals and the general style of the game thus far, and while taking a look around, I've decided to make my first major voyage all the way to 63 G. Capricorni. Only 23 jumps to go in my stripped-down tin can while I fill in my applications.

I'm glad I left myself with a single pulse laser, an NPC in a Viper Mk.IV dragged me out of frameshift and attacked me, leading to a ridiculous dogfight with my single gun. I presume there's a way to get out of interdiction, given the blue/red bars on either side of the HUD.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
Interdiction mechanics are kind of broken right now. The trick to dealing with an interdiction, if you're not interested in fighting, is to just kill your throttle and submit to the interdiction - doing so gives your frame shift drive a much shorter cooldown time than trying to fight it does, so you can just dodge lasers for fifteen seconds and then jump away. Also, if you're in a small ship, jump to a different system ("high-wake") rather than staying in the same system ("low-wake"), since the proximity of an enemy ship will slow down the latter but not affect the former.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

TacticalNecromancy posted:

I presume there's a way to get out of interdiction, given the blue/red bars on either side of the HUD.

There's an escape vector that lets you avoid interdiction if you can keep your nose in the middle. That's what the blue bar represents and the longer you're flying towards the escape vector the more it fills up until the interdiction fails. If you're way off and the red fills up before the blue does you get pulled out of supercruise and your FDS takes a while to recharge.

But ya, sometimes it's just best to manually succumb to the interdiction like Main Paineframe suggests.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

TacticalNecromancy posted:

Just started playing the game in the bog-standard shitboat. Loving the visuals and the general style of the game thus far, and while taking a look around, I've decided to make my first major voyage all the way to 63 G. Capricorni. Only 23 jumps to go in my stripped-down tin can while I fill in my applications.

I'm glad I left myself with a single pulse laser, an NPC in a Viper Mk.IV dragged me out of frameshift and attacked me, leading to a ridiculous dogfight with my single gun. I presume there's a way to get out of interdiction, given the blue/red bars on either side of the HUD.

Yeah, there will be a blue "Escape Vector" thingy on the screen. Fly toward it, keeping it in your crosshairs. If you fill your blue bar before they finish filling their red bar (which they do by keeping you centered on their screen) then you will dump them out of supercruise and continue on your merry way.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

slidebite posted:

This really depressed me, because I just did some math:

At 4mil per hour, it will take literally 100 hours of nothing but elite to earn enough to outfit a Corvette. :saddowns:

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Annath posted:

This really depressed me, because I just did some math:

At 4mil per hour, it will take literally 100 hours of nothing but elite to earn enough to outfit a Corvette. :saddowns:

This is why I have no qualms with people jumping all over the exploit-of-the-month to make bank.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
As the game stands the Anaconda is apparently better in most ways, including combat (since 2xhuge hardpoints isn't actually that great)

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Shine posted:

This is why I have no qualms with people jumping all over the exploit-of-the-month to make bank.

Are there any exploits for making money still around?

I know Frontier hasn't managed to kill the cash4rep grind, but I wasn't aware of anything for actually gaining money.

Unless you count shadow deliveries from Robigo which aren't really exploits so much as an incredibly tedious, high risk for failure grind.

Prettypanda
Nov 11, 2008

Annath posted:

I know Frontier hasn't managed to kill the cash4rep grind, but I wasn't aware of anything for actually gaining money.

Unless you count shadow deliveries from Robigo which aren't really exploits so much as an incredibly tedious, high risk for failure grind.

I don't know, I'm making around 50M an hour thanks to Robigo missions.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Zinjnok posted:

I don't know, I'm making around 50M an hour thanks to Robigo missions.

Like actually doing the missions? Or can you still abandon-sell-repeat with slaves?

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

Shine posted:

Yeah, there will be a blue "Escape Vector" thingy on the screen. Fly toward it, keeping it in your crosshairs.
Bonus round: have it completely bug out and snap the escape vector to some impossible to reach angle have the vector glitching everywhere which means you almost immediately get interdicted or if luckier, break their hold.

Koryk
Jun 5, 2007

Annath posted:

Robigo sell mission slaves for cash is still around. I finished pulling a billion out of there earlier last week.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

WebDog posted:

Bonus round: have it completely bug out and snap the escape vector to some impossible to reach angle have the vector glitching everywhere which means you almost immediately get interdicted or if luckier, break their hold.

Double-bonus round when you insta-escape one due to that bug, only to immediately be interdicted by another ship and have the process repeat. Topically enough, this happens a lot if you actually do the Robigo missions since you'll end up with half a dozen different parties that want to offer you alternate missions; interdict you to scan/steal/ruin you cargo; or just play the role of anti-smuggling law enforcement.

I think my record is getting four interceptions in a row, skipping from one to the other like a flat stone on water, and ending up 3 AU away from the station I tried to land at. :v:

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

WebDog posted:

Ironic Round: You submit because the guy trying to interdict you is your Mission kill target. You are in wide open space with nothing around for at least 2,000 LS.

It says you escaped. And none of the three FSD wakes around have names on them. Okay gently caress it pick one at random welp it's just some black boxes.

I know it's an incredibly niche circumstances, but considering how hosed up and buggy trying to avoid NPC interdiction can be, it just makes it that much more hilarious that they can't pull it off when it would actually be beneficial to you to be caught :shepface: And because of their bullshit speeds, trying to get behind Kill target NPCs who want to interdict you to interdict them is a massive pain in the rear end.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
I find that I lock things better if I'm in an asp than if I'm in a DBS. Is it known that mass-lock factor effects only enemies trying to low-wake out? My anecdotal gut feeling is that being in a heavy ship makes it easier to grab dudes.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
There's nothing like getting a mission for a station that turns out to be 200k Ls out, fly all the way out there, and get interdicted as soon as I'm nearly there so I have to high-wake out and start the whole thing over...three times in a row. :suicide: Eventually I just bet on managing to survive long enough for a low-wake.

If I load up with turrets will they at least be able to annoy NPC interdictors enough to keep them off my rear end for a bit while I flee, or are they not even worth taking for that?

Natsuumi
Jun 13, 2003

Natsuumi's gone.
I'm Cherlene now.

DreadLlama posted:

I find that I lock things better if I'm in an asp than if I'm in a DBS. Is it known that mass-lock factor effects only enemies trying to low-wake out? My anecdotal gut feeling is that being in a heavy ship makes it easier to grab dudes.

In general, heavier mass ships have a higher mass-lock. Look at coriolis.io at the MLF column for the exact order. Mass-lock affects low-wake only, not high-wake.

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

Main Paineframe posted:

There's nothing like getting a mission for a station that turns out to be 200k Ls out, fly all the way out there, and get interdicted as soon as I'm nearly there so I have to high-wake out and start the whole thing over...three times in a row. :suicide: Eventually I just bet on managing to survive long enough for a low-wake.

If I load up with turrets will they at least be able to annoy NPC interdictors enough to keep them off my rear end for a bit while I flee, or are they not even worth taking for that?

What kind of ship are you using? If I get interdicted by ships like eagles or vipers sometimes I just blow them up if I don't feel like high-waking out.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Main Paineframe posted:

How honest do you want to keep yourself?

If the game fucks you over with insta-interdiction bugs, are you willing to gently caress the game over right back? Because you can do that, but it borders on cheating…

Beyond that, it's (as always) a matter of what you're flying in relation to what they're flying when it comes to whether it's better to stay and fight or try to low-wake out.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
Right so i skipped 3475 posts.

Have they said when the next new stuff is coming out? What to do to prepare for it?

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

Section Z posted:

Ironic Round: You submit because the guy trying to interdict you is your Mission kill target. You are in wide open space with nothing around for at least 2,000 LS.
Humiliation round: Escape the interdiction and exit subspace at the station, only to have your quarry jump out in front of you just as you hit boost and collide with you.
You have also just travelled 300ly.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Natsuumi posted:

In general, heavier mass ships have a higher mass-lock. Look at coriolis.io at the MLF column for the exact order. Mass-lock affects low-wake only, not high-wake.
In general heavier mass ships are also slower (with the exception of the iClip).

NPCs are pretty poo poo at giving chase even in fast ships. They won't prioritise engine pips if they can fire at you, so there's no need to high wake against them in my experience, just run away and low wake.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Tippis posted:

Double-bonus round when you insta-escape one due to that bug, only to immediately be interdicted by another ship and have the process repeat. Topically enough, this happens a lot if you actually do the Robigo missions since you'll end up with half a dozen different parties that want to offer you alternate missions; interdict you to scan/steal/ruin you cargo; or just play the role of anti-smuggling law enforcement.

I think my record is getting four interceptions in a row, skipping from one to the other like a flat stone on water, and ending up 3 AU away from the station I tried to land at. :v:

One time I got interdicted four times in a row by the same mad rear end in a top hat NPC in a Clipper. A Clipper ranked "Deadly" and armed to the teeth. My Smuggling-Python turned out to be too slow for easy escapes, so my ship got shot up real bad every time.

The best part? The last interdiction nearly made me crash into the planetary port I tried to land on since I was already really close to the surface. Then the rear end in a top hat NPC actually followed me to the landing pad and nearly got me. Luckily the planetary outpost forced him off with gunfire. I survived this ordeal with something ludicrous like 3% hull. :shepface:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Kramjacks posted:

What kind of ship are you using? If I get interdicted by ships like eagles or vipers sometimes I just blow them up if I don't feel like high-waking out.

Asp Explorer, with an A-rated shield (which, so far, I have yet to regret). I've noticed it's got a decent number of weapon mounts, but it flies awfully enough that I can't imagine it's a decent dogfighter. That's why I'm wondering if turrets are at least usable - so I don't have to turn that loving whale of a ship all the way around to at least annoy AIs into "fight" mode rather than "chase" mode.

• Locked thread