Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LazyAngel
Mar 17, 2009

Oath Addition!

One Dwarf King on a Bear, by Scibor (28mm), with scenic base.

Because my operator was done in a couple of hours and now I'm feeling overconfident...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I also oath to have the Counterblast models out on Monday. Sorry about them going out so late. They are in the boxes and sitting by the door!

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Oathing 20 Tomb King Archers for Kings of War.

Monoliths
Jul 7, 2009

:shittypop:NOVEMBER JUDGEMENTS:shittypop:

3rd place (1 point) - Galaspar

A totally cool subject for a conversion. I like the chipping on the armor, it looks really in-scale, like actual tiny plastic-man-sized debris has been flying at him all day. His face is wonderfully disgruntled, and that skull on the shoulder is excellent too.

2nd place (2 points) - Gareth Gobulcoque

Goodness gracious, that is some quality blending on the cloak of this chap. The rich mauve (yeah I’m gonna go ahead and call it mauve) color is certainly my favorite element of this model, but the rest is not to be dismissed. The same great handling can be seen on the contrasting tan robe, and the choices of where to place the most saturated colors is definitely well-considered.

1st place (3 points) - Arson Fire

This thingy is the business. A classic scheme, but very well executed. The ever-so-slightly greenish ochre of the wings looks so nice next to the vivid red and blue, which is a feat all by itself. The wing color also works to unite the various accent colors, since they all share some element of the palette with it. Furthermore, the deep brown shading ties in great with the base, which in turn takes a muted, realistic approach, giving the brighter colors a chance to pop out even more. Frickin rad!

Challenge bonus point - Moths

It’s always tempting with orange to go really bright, so I appreciate your keeping it a little toned back to suit the palette you’re working with. Speaking of which, the washed out greens on the robes are absolute magic. The back of the robe with the (super tastefully) painted tree is like a microcosm of why I love this scheme.

Tokimon
Mar 29, 2007
My internet is finally fixed so I have corrected my pictures from last month.

and this month I Tokimon hereby Oath a 28mm Zombie Shaman from Dungeon saga.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib

I, JackMann, Oath for the month of March this Reaper Bones Spirit of the Forest.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Hi oath thread. I haven't been oathing, and I also hadn't been keeping up with this thread, but I just read through the last 300+ posts and now here I am!

The Whales drawing is still on. A few people asked about it. As with previous years, just complete a failed oath and you get an entry in the drawing, which will take place after the last month of this Season.

I have been painting, a little; but mostly just reconditioning or completing some incomplete models, so nothing that would qualify for the thread. I also bought a router and built a shelf for my paints:

When I finish replacing the transmission in my truck, I'll probably get back to doing some more serious miniature painting.

In the meantime, just in case I fall behind again: if you have any questions about the Whales contest, please feel free to PM me, or email me - my user name at gmail dot com.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Tokimon posted:

My internet is finally fixed so I have corrected my pictures from last month.

Gonna need a decision from krush about whether it's acceptable, since these were posted somewhat after the end of last month. I'd be fine with it but its his show.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
oath addition! 1 Furiosa from Hasslefree, 25mm.

nesbit37 posted:

I, nesbit37, oath for March 1 spider queen and 3 units of spider links (GW 28mm) and 60 units of scourge infantry (10mm hawk)

I had some good plans for the growth theme but this month is getting away from me so starting light and with a backup growth theme and will see how quickly I get through things.

LazyAngel
Mar 17, 2009

:siren: Oath Complete! :siren:

Managed to match the colour scheme on the Iguana Operator to his (her?) TAG quite nicely

But the highlight was painting the Dwarf and his bear - possibly some of the best painting I've managed (thanks to a bit of a wait for a new job to start).

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING
That bear... Very nice.

LazyAngel
Mar 17, 2009

Ugleb posted:

That bear... Very nice.

Thanks; brilliant model to paint, and I'm waiting for a new contract to start so no much else to do bar paint.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Oath Complete, and actually complete this time

Edit, I forgot about the challenges, but I am claiming the conversion challenge on the Demon Prince if it isn't too late to add that. (sorry)

jadebullet fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Apr 1, 2016

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
:orks:OATH COMPLETE!:orks:

For this month's theme, you've got the green grots driving the tanks!

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

I, NTRabbit, oath to paint in March

1 Woolly Rhino by DeeZee Miniatures, and 1 Ogre by Mantic, both in 28mm

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER

Lord Hypnostache posted:

I, Lord Hypnostache, for the month of March, oath one Imperial Guard Heavy Weapon Team and four Dark Elf Shades All kitbashed from GW bits

OATH ADDITION! I'm adding three more kitbashed Dark Elf Shades to my March Oath

I was going to build one more of these guys and save them for later, but managed to lose one head, meaning I was one dude short and would have to multibase to compensate and it would be just easier to paint them all at once and get them all based at once.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Ugleb posted:

I Ugleb hereby oath for the month of March, Arkham City Talia Al Ghul & The Riddler. 32mm scale for the Batman Miniature Game by Knight Models.

Galaspar posted:

For March I, Galaspar, oath one Land Raider by GW

Was hard to get the tank and the timestamp in focus, I hope this is clear enough.
Not a biggie, but try to get the year in the photo, too, next time ;)

Germ posted:

OATH ADDITION!

My Warlands crew needs a Monster Truck, I oath to paint this one, which was originally a Hot Wheels car, heavily converted with spikes, oversized wheels, and 1/72 gladiators.

nesbit37 posted:

I, nesbit37, oath for March 1 spider queen and 3 units of spider links (GW 28mm) and 60 units of scourge infantry (10mm hawk)

I had some good plans for the growth theme but this month is getting away from me so starting light and with a backup growth theme and will see how quickly I get through things.

Lord Hypnostache posted:

I, Lord Hypnostache, for the month of March, oath one Imperial Guard Heavy Weapon Team and four Dark Elf Shades All kitbashed from GW bits

Germ posted:

OATH ADDITION!

Sorry, bookkeepers, but I need more to paint. I path to paint these GW models: 8 converted eldar corsairs, 2 eldar Fire dragons, 1 eldar warp spider exarch, and 2 converted corsair characters.

Signal posted:

Oath Addition!
Four converted Iron Warriors Predator Tanks, for Epic in 6mm

LazyAngel posted:

For March, I, LazyAngel, oath one Iguana Operator from Infinity by Corvus Belli (28mm-ish)

It's been hanging around for a while - now just have to match the Iguana's paint scheme from over a year ago!

LordAba posted:

Robros!

I, Lord Aba, oath these Ronin models for Aetherium (Anvil-8 games, 32mm) for March! May the gods have mercy on me.

SRM posted:

I, SRM, oath 4 Grot Tanks by Forgeworld for March

LazyAngel posted:

Oath Addition!

One Dwarf King on a Bear, by Scibor (28mm), with scenic base.
Because my operator was done in a couple of hours and now I'm feeling overconfident...

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Oathing 20 Tomb King Archers for Kings of War.

JackMann posted:

I, JackMann, Oath for the month of March this Reaper Bones Spirit of the Forest.

nesbit37 posted:

oath addition! 1 Furiosa from Hasslefree, 25mm.

NTRabbit posted:

I, NTRabbit, oath to paint in March

1 Woolly Rhino by DeeZee Miniatures, and 1 Ogre by Mantic, both in 28mm

Lord Hypnostache posted:

OATH ADDITION! I'm adding three more kitbashed Dark Elf Shades to my March Oath
I was going to build one more of these guys and save them for later, but managed to lose one head, meaning I was one dude short and would have to multibase to compensate and it would be just easier to paint them all at once and get them all based at once.

Tokimon posted:

and this month I Tokimon hereby Oath a 28mm Zombie Shaman from Dungeon saga.
Oaths Accepted!

Zark the Damned posted:

Gonna need a decision from krush about whether it's acceptable, since these were posted somewhat after the end of last month. I'd be fine with it but its his show.

Nah, it's OK, Tokimon isn't going for points, I think this is their 2nd or 3rd post so either way is fine as they're just going for painting motivation. Let's let him/her have the points this time!

I'm away and very busy all weekend so I'm going to have the December and hopefully Jan & Feb Oath albums uploaded for everyone to check through!

krushgroove fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Mar 24, 2016

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
:siren: Monthly photo albums all caught up! :siren:

December
Imgur (lots and lots of scrolling)
Google Photos (prettier arrangement)

January
Imgur
Google Photos

February
Imgur
Google Photos

Please go through these and let me know if you are missing any photos from the albums. I'll be giving the Judges free rein on the December Oaths starting TUESDAY next week, and the January and February albums will be shared with them as soon as December and January Judgements are in, respectively.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

:siren: Oath Complete :siren:

First up are the Owlbears. The first one is vaguely based on actual owl markings, the second is more of a stealthy dusk-hunter (also the sculpt looks more like a hawk-bear or something but that's cool too). I'm aware of the speckles where paint has rubbed off and need to do some touch ups.

Next are the chunkyman hammerslappers. Shaded using purple ink for a more magic/techy feel (stole the idea from richyp in the painting thread, can't find the post but it was talking about different undertones for metallics).

Balthasar Gelt. The wizard himself is painted in the same palette as the hammerslappers (in my headcanon they're suits of armour he enchanted to move). Fairly happy with the white horsey despite the roughness.

Last and especially not least is the giant. Converted from a Harry Potter cave troll toy with an Otherworld head and numerous bitz. Really happy with this guy.

Couple of close ups of my favourite bits, and a scale pic alongside a dude, hammerslapper and the marauder giant. This guy's huge!

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
I, JerryLee, oath to paint this Gladewalker Druid, from Dungeon Saga by Mantic, for March

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
For next month's oath I am thinking of doing both challenges, but for the tech one I am not sure of what technique I should practice that I am not already. This year has upped my painting, especially my painting speed, but I want to set a different personal goal for next year's competition when it starts in May (assuming the oath thread will continue!). Just wondering of what techniques would be worth trying out next month? Here is what I use generally or am at least aware of, so what am I missing or would be good to focus on:

Used all the time:
drybrushing
layering
basecoating
airbrush basing/priming
layering
shadowing
washing
glazing
TMM (though I could do this better)
greenstuff conversions
gap filling and model smoothing prep
painting from the zenithal light perspective
painting from the general light perspective
basing

use occasionally:
airbrush painting (trying to improve, still suck at it)
feathering
NMM
sculpting major components
OSL
Freehand
making things look wet

seldom use but should use more (I suck at some of these and they frustrate me):
2 brush blending
wet blending
painting from other than zenithal or general light perspective
pre-shading

Haven't tried:
zenithal priming

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
I'm planning to marble something. Maybe try that? Or weathering with pigments.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
I oath one (1) z-95 headhunter from Fantasy Flight Games in 1:270 scale.

and, apologies for the presumption, if the pic isn't OK, I'll manage without the points, I also post Oath Completed

No technical or theme unless the fire counts for new growth, but I am claiming Box Art for matching the N'Dru Suhlak card from the game. http://xwing-miniatures.wikia.com/wiki/N'dru_Suhlak , which can be seen in this long-ago preview of the Most Wanted set from ffg's site https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2014/10/20/the-galaxys-most-wanted-part-one/

I might also get away with Speed Painting, given that the whole thing from priming took about 4 hours (bless the majority of the paint here being leadbelcher covered with Strong Tone) but I understand if not given that I didn't wait for an approval post.

Sorry for doing things out of order, but I didn't want to post an approval pic in case I ran out of time this month and failed, I wasn't sure whether I'd finish todsy.

Sorry :ohdear:

Will post a proper completion pic in a moment.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

Electric Hobo posted:

I'm planning to marble something. Maybe try that? Or weathering with pigments.

A, weathering, thats a good one I have never really done. Think I need to buy some things for that though (which is fine, just mean I don't have the necessities on hand as far as I am aware).

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Actual completion pic.

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe
I, Dr. Gargunza, running shamefully late this month, oath to paint (1) Forest!

GW, 28mm, unprimed (the tree trunks are slathered in liquid greenstuff at the moment).

Drumstick
Jun 20, 2006
Lord of cacti
I, Drumstick, oath one Relthoza Battleship for March

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Drumstick posted:

You'll probably get away with it this time as it's your first oath, but please note for future ones you need to have the date and time set to American Samoa and this needs to be clearly shown. Check out the previous couple of oaths as good examples of pics.

Ledgem
Oct 20, 2010
OATHING: Two Blight Wasps from Privateer Press

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Oath complete! I am going to claim the March theme jurnal challenge for the Spider Queen who is protecting all of her little spring batch of spiderlings so they can grow into great big spiders just like her!

nesbit37 fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Mar 27, 2016

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
Oath Complete!

And here we go!

There you go, one entire Division of German troops, plus Corps HQ.

Right lads! Lets get this over so we can get home for some Sauerkraut and schnitzel! We need lots of guns to get this offensive going.

We need to back the troops up with local support from mortars.

Then all we need to do is hit them with wave after wave of troops.

Then we can move the drinks cabinet a few feet closer to Paris!

"Hold me Hans, I have a bad feeling about this."

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
I, Indolent Bastard, Oath 1 scratch built Grot Tank 28mm

It's a dollar store toy with added bits from GW, Ramshackle Games, wheels I cast myself and card stock & cardboard.

Drumstick
Jun 20, 2006
Lord of cacti

Zark the Damned posted:

You'll probably get away with it this time as it's your first oath, but please note for future ones you need to have the date and time set to American Samoa and this needs to be clearly shown. Check out the previous couple of oaths as good examples of pics.

Ah! Sorry, I'll make sure its right for any others.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

moths posted:

I, moths, oath this plastic DZC Scourge box (10mm) from Hawk Wargames:

OATH ADDITION!

This is scratchbuilt mess made from a twig, resin sand, cork board, a Wargames Factory 28mm Viking head and shield, mantic zombie torso, and uncooked rice. If it looks awesome, it'll be how I make a bunch of BLOODWORM SWARMS for KoW.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Zark the Damned, thanks for taking over some duties on the spreadsheet! FYI I was checking it this morning and noticed that it looks like I wasn't credit for the March jurnal. Not sure if someone else goes in and adds those later if they get recorded by the first person to come by the oath complete posts, but wanted to mention it. Thanks!

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

JerryLee posted:

I, JerryLee, oath to paint this Gladewalker Druid, from Dungeon Saga by Mantic, for March

thespaceinvader posted:

I oath one (1) z-95 headhunter from Fantasy Flight Games in 1:270 scale.

Dr. Gargunza posted:

I, Dr. Gargunza, running shamefully late this month, oath to paint (1) Forest!
GW, 28mm, unprimed (the tree trunks are slathered in liquid greenstuff at the moment).

Drumstick posted:

As mentioned by Zark, just make sure to read through the posting guidelines next time :) no worries, though!

Ledgem posted:

OATHING: Two Blight Wasps from Privateer Press

Indolent Bastard posted:

I, Indolent Bastard, Oath 1 scratch built Grot Tank 28mm
It's a dollar store toy with added bits from GW, Ramshackle Games, wheels I cast myself and card stock & cardboard.

moths posted:

OATH ADDITION!
This is scratchbuilt mess made from a twig, resin sand, cork board, a Wargames Factory 28mm Viking head and shield, mantic zombie torso, and uncooked rice. If it looks awesome, it'll be how I make a bunch of BLOODWORM SWARMS for KoW.

Oaths Accepted!

Also, the Judges are getting the links for the December album right now! AWAIT YOUR FATE...

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark
Oath Complete!

With the paint literally drying. To do list: actual light box.

Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011
I, Raphus C, Oath one ork Warbike GW 28mm:

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Oath Complete!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless