Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pesterchum
Nov 8, 2009

clown car to hell choo choo
So now that Colin is gone and priorities are apparently shifting can they shuffle back that guy who was going to do dungeon revamps?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shrach
Jan 10, 2004

daylight ssssaving time

Generic Octopus posted:

You don't understand, man. What if they need new hardware to support the gold value change? And then you have to rigorously QA test these changes...it's just too much time that they don't have.

I know I don't understand game development. I've heard this before. It's known as the "Star Citizen defence".

Pesterchum posted:

So now that Colin is gone and priorities are apparently shifting can they shuffle back that guy who was going to do dungeon revamps?

Hrouda left in 2013 or something and dungeons are officially abandoned. All we can hope for is the rewards being adjusted again by a mysterious rogue anet dev.

shrach fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Mar 27, 2016

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007
I don't do the new zone because I don't have anything unlocked because I haven't done the new zone because I don't have anything unlocked because I haven't done the new zone because I don't have anything unlocked because I haven't done the new zone because I don't have anything unlocked because I haven't done the new zone because I don't have anything unlocked because I haven't done the new zone because I don't have anything unlocked because I haven't done the new zone because I don't have anything unlocked because I haven't done the new zone because I don't have anything unlocked because I haven't done the new zone because I don't have anything unlocked because I haven't done the new zone because I don't have anything unlocked because I haven't done the new zone because I don't have anything unlocked because I haven't done the new zone because I don't have anything unlocked because I haven't done the new zone.

Fake Edit: Where are the new armor and weapons that they promised with HoT? Ok not those ones, the other ones.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i still don't get the dungeons thing, because even if there's always going to be the turbonerds freaking out over gold per minute and doing some ~sick~ meta strats to try and cheese everything because they're lazy the dungeons were still, for the most part, actually kind of fun to play! they were a neat little thing to mess around in with friends or guild people to pass some time and do something vaguely productive. seeing more dungeon revamps would have been cool, but i guess to some extent i can understand why they were deemed as unimportant. but lowering the rewards? why.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007
I wish that Anet made dungeons the singular most valuable activity again instead of the current system where you can make good money and advance your masteries by doing literally any loving thing you want.

ExHumus
Aug 30, 2006

BOOM BOOM!!

ItBurns posted:

I wish that Anet made dungeons the singular most valuable activity again instead of the current system where you can make good money and advance your masteries by doing literally any loving thing you want.

check out my Youtube
May 26, 2006

Satan's on my side
and you wanna brawl?
When the Devil comes
you better heed his Quall

Johnny Joestar posted:

i still don't get the dungeons thing, because even if there's always going to be the turbonerds freaking out over gold per minute and doing some ~sick~ meta strats to try and cheese everything because they're lazy the dungeons were still, for the most part, actually kind of fun to play! they were a neat little thing to mess around in with friends or guild people to pass some time and do something vaguely productive. seeing more dungeon revamps would have been cool, but i guess to some extent i can understand why they were deemed as unimportant. but lowering the rewards? why.

Well for one thing you've thought about it enough to ask why, which is probably more thought than anet put into it.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i'd rather they did something better than just lopping their arm off and walking away while stating it as a failure.

Lonk
Jan 26, 2012

LET'S FUCKING GOOOOOOOO
This game is terrible and dead. Abandon all hope unless you like spending real money to princess in town because there's nothing fun left anymore while Anet keeps acknowledging the problems without ever actually fixing them. Maybe when enough people quit Anet so that Tivac is next in line to lead, it will recover. Poor Josh Foreman is locked up in the loving basement somewhere making Youtube videos about gummy wurms and pipboys.

I'll see you all in Gaming Hell.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007
game is good

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

It's not dead or terrible. If it was, no one would be posting here giving a poo poo about the direction it's going.

check out my Youtube
May 26, 2006

Satan's on my side
and you wanna brawl?
When the Devil comes
YOU DON'T HAVE ME FIGURED OUT ARUS I AM NOT A PUPPET ON YOUR STRINGS

\/\/\/ you might literally be the only person in history who has ever said "I miss the temporary content" \/\/\/

check out my Youtube fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Mar 27, 2016

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum
I miss the temporary content of season one. Sure, season two's permanent content was nice in the fact that you could experience it whenever, but I liked having something new to do every few weeks. I came back after my first break during the release where Scarlet's armies were attacking a zone every hour. Sure, lots of the content was just zerging a bunch of baddies down, but it was more fun than playing through a couple hours or solo story instances. If they had more frequent open world content, I'd be logging in all the time. I don't even care about getting my daily reward every day any more.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

GI_Clutch posted:

I miss the temporary content

lol

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

GI_Clutch posted:

I miss the temporary content

best post in the thread

Lonk
Jan 26, 2012

LET'S FUCKING GOOOOOOOO
YOU'RE NOT MY REAL DAD DESPITE BEING OLD ENOUGH TO BE ARUS!!!1

Happy Birthday though buddy!

check out my Youtube
May 26, 2006

Satan's on my side
and you wanna brawl?
When the Devil comes

Dukka
Apr 28, 2007

lock teams or bust

CLAM DOWN posted:

It's not dead or terrible. If it was, no one would be posting here giving a poo poo about the direction it's going.
well yea, because straight off the cliff is the correct direction

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

I think the thing that rubs most the wrong way is that most of the design changes the past year-and-change have taken things in the opposite direction of the game's original vision. Hell, the base game removed more armor sets than the expansion added. I'm okay not being the target demographic anet cares about because I know the game doesn't owe me poo poo. The flip side is that I don't owe the game poo poo and don't feel bad about not playing it (I only miss goons :v:).

At least the no-sub thing makes it easy to check out every once in a while. I do hope that these positive changes being talked about will happen, but talk is cheap even before taking the company's credibility into account.

Also happy birthday Arus, I'm sure your mother would be proud of you had she not died during childbirth :)

e. Just accept it m8, you probably won't see your next one anyways on account of being 96% bodyfat

Guest2553 fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Mar 27, 2016

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

oh my god it's not my birthday, kerrzhe what you have done

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

CLAM DOWN posted:

oh my god it's not my birthday, kerrzhe what you have done

happy birthdaaaaaaaayyyyyy

Lonk
Jan 26, 2012

LET'S FUCKING GOOOOOOOO

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

GI_Clutch posted:

I miss the temporary content of season one. Sure, season two's permanent content was nice in the fact that you could experience it whenever, but I liked having something new to do every few weeks. I came back after my first break during the release where Scarlet's armies were attacking a zone every hour. Sure, lots of the content was just zerging a bunch of baddies down, but it was more fun than playing through a couple hours or solo story instances. If they had more frequent open world content, I'd be logging in all the time. I don't even care about getting my daily reward every day any more.

Sounds like you miss new content more than temporary content.

Happy Birthday Arus.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the idea of someone actually missing content like the stuff from season one is baffling. i mean, sure, in a perfect world we'd have cool stuff happening around the map on maybe a monthly basis or whatever, but hopefully it would be something actually more fleshed out than 'hammering signposts' or 'killing generic mobs'.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

Johnny Joestar posted:

They wanted to strongarm the players into doing fractals and raids. That's literally their stated reasoning (though they phrased it more delicately).

Softface
Feb 16, 2011

Some things can't be unseen
Ugh, I can't believe they killed dungeon rewards. You get more than twice as much liquid currency now than you did at launch, there's no point in doing them at all anymore.

Pesterchum
Nov 8, 2009

Johnny Joestar posted:

the idea of someone actually missing content like the stuff from season one is baffling. i mean, sure, in a perfect world we'd have cool stuff happening around the map on maybe a monthly basis or whatever, but hopefully it would be something actually more fleshed out than 'hammering signposts' or 'killing generic mobs'.

Most of it was garbage but I actually had a pretty good time with the Tower of Nightmares, lovely youtube rock intro video aside. Then it got blown up.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Pesterchum posted:

Most of it was garbage but I actually had a pretty good time with the Tower of Nightmares, lovely youtube rock intro video aside. Then it got blown up.

Best part was that fan edit with the green and purple rap hiphop song thing

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Softface posted:

Ugh, I can't believe they killed dungeon rewards. You get more than twice as much liquid currency now than you did at launch, there's no point in doing them at all anymore.

That's funny because dungeon rewards at launch were garbage. Nice troll though.

Pesterchum
Nov 8, 2009

CLAM DOWN posted:

Best part was that fan edit with the green and purple rap hiphop song thing

Couldn't agree more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJBB8BjlWkA

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!

Lonk posted:

Poor Josh Foreman is locked up in the loving basement somewhere making Youtube videos about gummy wurms

For the uninitiated: yes, this was a real thing made when Triple Trouble was released.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Dungeons seem like they would be pretty trivial now with specialization power creep (yeah ok you could argue they were trivial before, but people still died sometimes and bad groups would definitely have trouble). I think they'd need some kind of...revamp.

Softface
Feb 16, 2011

orcane posted:

That's funny because dungeon rewards at launch were garbage. Nice troll though.

Someone disagreeing with the common sentiment, must be a troll.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Your point is "it could be worse so stop being a bitch."

The dungeon rewards are now pretty bad, and are more importantly far worse than a lot of other stuff. It doesn't really matter if they're where they are now or where they were at launch, or somewhere in between. Unless the income from them can be competitive with the rest of the game, people aren't going to play them. You can get the actual skins as fast or faster in PvP, and you're not getting gold so there's basically no reason to play dungeons except fun, and no-one plays this game for fun.

The point is that dungeon rewards are poo poo. Them being better or worse won't matter unless they're brought in line with the income from doing other stuff.

Softface
Feb 16, 2011

MooCowlian posted:

Your point is "it could be worse so stop being a bitch."

The dungeon rewards are now pretty bad, and are more importantly far worse than a lot of other stuff. It doesn't really matter if they're where they are now or where they were at launch, or somewhere in between. Unless the income from them can be competitive with the rest of the game, people aren't going to play them.

My point is actually "dungeon liquid rewards are now in line with the amount of effort involved in them." Unless they've drastically increased rewards recently, you get more money from a single dungeon path than from a PvP victory in the same amount of time, and much more money per time than in WvW (which has a problem with rewards in itself, but that's beside the point). So what rest of the game? Farming Silverwastes and doing chest runs?

quote:

You can get the actual skins as fast or faster in PvP, and you're not getting gold so there's basically no reason to play dungeons except fun, and no-one plays this game for fun.

This was true as soon as the PvP reward tracks were introduced. If you're not having fun, why are you still playing?

quote:

The point is that dungeon rewards are poo poo. Them being better or worse won't matter unless they're brought in line with the income from doing other stuff.

poo poo compared to pre-HoT launch (when they were also beaten in rewards by Silverwastes farming), sure. But do you really think 30 minutes of stacking in a corner is worth 5 gold, plus whatever you get from materials?

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Johnny Joestar posted:

I think its because they wanted people to do the raid instead.

Baron Von Pigeon posted:

\/\/\/ you might literally be the only person in history who has ever said "I miss the temporary content" \/\/\/

I miss it to, it gave me more of an incentive to log in, if I wanted to do poorly written story instances by myself I'd go back to Destiny.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I'm sorry I took you being stupid for trolling. With people like Nilgoow in the thread you never know.

Softface
Feb 16, 2011

Now that you've called me stupid I agree, 5 gold for 30 minutes of 4 people corner stacking is the right and proper reward, thanks for helping me see the light.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Softface posted:

Now that you've called me stupid I agree, 5 gold for 30 minutes of 4 people corner stacking is the right and proper reward, thanks for helping me see the light.

Because Fractals are so much harder, yea?

ffs anet kneecapped dungeon rewards because they wanted people to get on the fractal/raid train. They've said as much. It's not about "just" rewards in video games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Softface
Feb 16, 2011

Generic Octopus posted:

Because Fractals are so much harder, yea?

ffs anet kneecapped dungeon rewards because they wanted people to get on the fractal/raid train. They've said as much. It's not about "just" rewards in video games.

Something should probably done to, at the very least, shift people away from "five swamps, two molten boss, two daily" fractal rotations, yes.

Before ANet introduced "And at least 1 gold per path!" addition for dungeon rewards I never had a problem finding a group, even without a LFG tool in the dead of night. I understand the economy's changed since then, but what do you do after blowing through fractals, other than log out?

• Locked thread