Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
If its been posted already feel free to call me dumb, otherwise join me in intense anger at Andrew Wakefield's upcoming documentary.

Its apparently very important to start a conversation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Not Operator posted:

If its been posted already feel free to call me dumb, otherwise join me in intense anger at Andrew Wakefield's upcoming documentary.

Its apparently very important to start a conversation.

Thankfully they just announced it will not be screened at Tribeca

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

CommieGIR posted:

Thankfully they just announced it will not be screened at Tribeca

The medicinal-industrial complex wins again. :smith::hf::pseudo:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Wakefield deserves to be in prison, or a mental institute at the very least. That he's actually dumb enough to believe what he says is questionable and he's leading the charge in causing untold amounts of preventable death and suffering.

eNeMeE
Nov 26, 2012

Evil Fluffy posted:

Wakefield deserves to be in prison, or a mental institute at the very least. That he's actually dumb enough to believe what he says is questionable and he's leading the charge in causing untold amounts of preventable death and suffering.

The man made stuff up in order to profit off a patent he owned (owns? probably still owns it) through unethical testing done to children. He's a horrible fraud not mentally ill.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Isn't he completely forbidden from practicing medicine at this point? I seem to remember that medicine gave him a big :getout:

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Isn't he completely forbidden from practicing medicine at this point? I seem to remember that medicine gave him a big :getout:

Pretty sure he is, he was also forced to retract his original paper from 30 years ago very shortly after its publication because it was spurious bullshit.

But that doesn't stop the people who believed him then, continuing to believe him, nor does it stop him from continuing to pander to them because it pays well.

He ought to be loving locked up, but then, so should anyone else with any kind of authority who touts anti-vaxx bullshit.

But they won't be :(

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Once you've got it into your head that Doctors are all conspiring to cause autism in children, the idea that the original concept was widely discredited, the doctor stripped of his title, and them never being allowed to practice medicine again doesn't matter because that's just what they want you to believe

Once you reach a critical point of crazy it's impossible to reason with. Anything, no matter how it plays out, merely reinforces existing belief.

It would almost be funny if it wasn't such a huge public health issue. The idea that there are literally children out there who have died, and will continue to die, because an easily preventable disease is allowed to take root makes my blood boil.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.
Most anti-vaxxers have no idea who Wakefield is. They are just going on what other parents have said. It's a big whisper machine. I haven't met many parents who are strictly anti-vax but I've met plenty who are trying to space them out because their gut feeling is that there are too many vaccinations done at once. (Not me, my kid has had every vaccination available)

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Robert De Niro accused of censorship after yanking anti-vaccine movie from film festival

quote:

A day after he defended the decision to screen the documentary “Vaxxed: From Cover-Up to Catastrophe,” festival co-founder Robert De Niro announced in a statement Saturday that he reversed course after reviewing the film with colleagues and experts.

“My intent in screening this film was to provide an opportunity for conversation around an issue that is deeply personal to me and my family,” the statement said. “But after reviewing it over the past few days with the Tribeca Film Festival team and others from the scientific community, we do not believe it contributes to or furthers the discussion I had hoped for.”
[...]
The film is directed and co-written by Wakefield, a polarizing anti-vaccination activist and onetime gastroenterologist whose medical license was revoked by Britain’s General Medical Council, according to CBS News. Wakefield is also the author of a widely discounted study — published in the medical journal the Lancet, in 1998 — that was retracted in 2010. Studies from the independent, nonprofit Institute of Medicine, the World Health Organization and the CDC have discredited the notion that a link exists between vaccines and developing autism spectrum disorder, according to the Huffington Post.

The substantial evidence explains why the decision to screen the film drew intense scrutiny from medical experts.

On Friday, De Niro released a statement explaining his decision to screen the film next month, but he noted that he was “not personally endorsing the film” and is not “anti-vaccination.”

“Grace and I have a child with autism and we believe it is critical that all of the issues surrounding the causes of autism be openly discussed and examined,” the statement said. “In the 15 years since the Tribeca Film Festival was founded, I have never asked for a film to be screened or gotten involved in the programming. However this is very personal to me and my family and I want there to be a discussion, which is why we will be screening” the film, the statement added.
Very interesting to see a bit of the internal debate here. The post story does a good job of laying out how false the film is.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Mar 27, 2016

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

95% of the antivaxx comments on this are probably "BIG PHARMA MANIPULATING A FILM FESTIVAL" when presumably the film was pulled for being poo poo

Ran Mad Dog
Aug 15, 2006
Algeapea and noodles - I will take your udon!
De Niro is out of his mind for even considering showing the film and giving it any publicity whatsoever.

Christ what an idiot/rear end in a top hat.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Ran Mad Dog posted:

De Niro is out of his mind for even considering showing the film and giving it any publicity whatsoever.

Not everyone has the same level of background knowledge on this that we do. De Niro is also in the most vulnerable population; he's a wealthy, public figure with media access and he has a child with autism. He's a prime target for these hucksters. He backed away, and that was the right thing to do.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Ran Mad Dog posted:

Yeah I don't really have an issue with him considering it. He's an actor/director first and foremost, why wouldn't he at least consider the film for his film festival? Since it's Wakefield there were probably a bunch of antivaxx crazy people writing in and asking for the film to be shown, it'd be crazy to not consider it. Someone who's unaware of who Wakefield is might not have any reason to assume that the film would be garbage.

I also prefer the situation where the film gets reviewed and rejected than the situation where the film gets rejected outright without anyone at the festival having seen it, despite a sufficiently large support base. Rejecting it after a viewing gives more legitimacy to the rejection, which won't matter to antivaxxers but would matter to people who sit between the two camps.

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Mar 27, 2016

Ran Mad Dog
Aug 15, 2006
Algeapea and noodles - I will take your udon!
Normally I'd agree (with the last two posts), but people are far too irrational/dumb about anti-vax garbage, and giving Wakefield even a moment of publicity or perceived legitimacy is irresponsible.

Also, the film was actually accepted before it was rejected, and if De Niro wasn't on the fence about the issue then it was his responsibility to screen it out immediately before giving anti-vaxxers a bigger and more public chance to convert their idiot friends ("the film was considered/accepted for Tribeca!!") or with conspiracy poo poo ("they're silencing THE TRUTH look at this article!!!"). There are a ton of films that just get screened out of big film festivals like this and no one hears anything about them, but in this case he hosed up pretty bad by initially deciding to let it in.

Ran Mad Dog fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Mar 27, 2016

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Ran Mad Dog posted:

Normally I'd agree (with the last two posts), but people are far too irrational/dumb about anti-vax garbage, and giving Wakefield even a moment of publicity or perceived legitimacy is irresponsible.

But did Robert De Niro know that? Probably not. He probably assumed it was just another interesting documentary about a topic with a lot of national interest. Normally this would be fine. “But after reviewing it over the past few days with the Tribeca Film Festival team and others from the scientific community, we do not believe it contributes to or furthers the discussion I had hoped for.”

I see absolutely nothing wrong with reversing course on this after consulting with experts. Yes, he probably should have educated himself on this sooner, but for a movie festival that standard is a bit unreasonable.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

QuarkJets posted:

But did Robert De Niro know that? Probably not. He probably assumed it was just another interesting documentary about a topic with a lot of national interest. Normally this would be fine. “But after reviewing it over the past few days with the Tribeca Film Festival team and others from the scientific community, we do not believe it contributes to or furthers the discussion I had hoped for.”

I see absolutely nothing wrong with reversing course on this after consulting with experts. Yes, he probably should have educated himself on this sooner, but for a movie festival that standard is a bit unreasonable.

DeNiro has a child with autism. I guarantee he knows about Wakefield and the craziness about autism and vaccines.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

QuarkJets posted:

That's a pretty great statement actually.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Fionnoula posted:

DeNiro has a child with autism. I guarantee he knows about Wakefield and the craziness about autism and vaccines.

Hearing about the fake autism / vaccine link is a far cry from knowing about Wakefield and all of the shady poo poo he did.

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009
It's also entirely possible he heard about all of that, but assumed the documentary would be informative and not be basically a propaganda piece.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Buried alive posted:

It's also entirely possible he heard about all of that, but assumed the documentary would be informative and not be basically a propaganda piece.

Why would he assume a guy making a documentary about himself wouldn't basically be a propaganda film?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Well, obviously Wakefield's $400,000 dollar advance only got him so far, he had to find other ways to make money after losing his license. And his reputation.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Buried alive posted:

Yeah I can give DeNiro a little benefit of the doubt that he might've thought "hey autism is a topic relevant to me because of my kid" then saw all the negative feedback, went and watched the documentary and went "wtf is this poo poo" and reversed course.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
People are allowed to make bad first judgements, as long as they're willing to consider new information and react accordingly. No one's right on their first assessment every single time on all subjects. I mean, we might hope he made the right choice right off the bat, but I don't think it's realistic to expect that in every case.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
He simply might have wanted a bit of controversy to stimulate discussion on autism or even, for the least charitable reading, some easy publicity for his film festival.

The only bad publicity and all that.

I'd say that pulling the film has done more to help vaccination than allowing it would have help the anti-health brigade. Now it's news and more people will be exposed to the truth that Wakefield is a lying piece of poo poo.

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Why would he assume a guy making a documentary about himself wouldn't basically be a propaganda film?

Because it's his way of apologizing. You know if the film actually went, "Hey I did some bad stuff and messed up and I'm sorry," instead of going full-on..well, whatever it's doing.

Or this

Gorilla Salad posted:

He simply might have wanted a bit of controversy to stimulate discussion on autism or even, for the least charitable reading, some easy publicity for his film festival.

Or this

Evil Fluffy posted:

Yeah I can give DeNiro a little benefit of the doubt that he might've thought "hey autism is a topic relevant to me because of my kid"...

Or maybe he simply failed to make the logical leap in his head. All of those possibilities result in this

PT6A posted:

People are allowed to make bad first judgements, as long as they're willing to consider new information and react accordingly...

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Because lots of people make documentaries about themselves that aren't propaganda? Put your knife away for a minute.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

SedanChair posted:

Because lots of people make documentaries about themselves that aren't propaganda? Put your knife away for a minute.

This guy is, however, already known to be a gigantic, unrepentant fraud. I'm willing to reserve judgement until we know what's in the movie but given who the person is my default reaction is probably "this guy who wronged very large numbers of people thinks he was wronged and wants to tell the world about it."

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

ToxicSlurpee posted:

This guy is, however, already known to be a gigantic, unrepentant fraud. I'm willing to reserve judgement until we know what's in the movie but given who the person is my default reaction is probably "this guy who wronged very large numbers of people thinks he was wronged and wants to tell the world about it."

Yes but if you didn't really know who he was beforehand, then you'd have no reason to assume that Wakefield's movie was a propaganda poo poo-film. That's why I think that De Niro is pretty blameless here.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
I think the worst thing about the anti-vax situation, besides the horrible diseases of course, is the fact that campaigning to keep these peoples' kids out of public schools can only serve to reinforce their belief in a Big Pharma Conspiracy against them. You made this situation by transforming your child into some kinda weird vector for previously conquered diseases!

Nonetheless, it's gonna be pretty interesting when Suri Cruise or somebody gets smallpox.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!
Here we go again.

Idiot posted:

Gina Herbert and her daughter showed up for school on Tuesday only to find the doors closed.

"I'm not really interested in vaccinating her, though, because I'm more concerned with problems that could cause her harm," she said.

Like, say... a virulent disease that's loving miserable and kills 1/500 people? It's almost physically painful trying to imagine the stupid involved here.

The Larch
Jan 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

deadly_pudding posted:

I think the worst thing about the anti-vax situation, besides the horrible diseases of course, is the fact that campaigning to keep these peoples' kids out of public schools can only serve to reinforce their belief in a Big Pharma Conspiracy against them. You made this situation by transforming your child into some kinda weird vector for previously conquered diseases!

Nonetheless, it's gonna be pretty interesting when Suri Cruise or somebody gets smallpox.

Getting a disease that has been wiped off the face of the earth would be pretty interesting, yes.

doodlebugs
Feb 18, 2015

by Lowtax
antivaxer changes their view

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-04-05/mother-regrets-decision-to-reject-whooping-cough-vaccine/7301836

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

I'm surprised she isn't like those other parents who killed their kid trying to cure them with home remedies. At least she had the decency to take it to the hospital.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

"Eva had to be taken to the hospital several times, once after suffering apnoea which caused her to stop breathing for three minutes.

The newborn is now in intensive care and entering her fourth week of the disease."

Newborn stopped breathing for several minutes which is probably going to cause brain damage so if she does vaccinate the kid and it has disabilities she'll go back in to anti-vax bigger and harder than ever.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

A certain type of person will never listen to the advice of others and have to repeatedly burn their own hand (or the hand of their child) on the stove before learning hot stove = ouch. All she had to do to change her mind was almost lose her child from an easily preventable illness. Now if you could only do that for every antivax nut we would be getting somewhere.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
I'm pretty sick of innocent children having to be the martyrs for these pieces of poo poo to realize they're stupid. I'd rather the police come, vaccinate their kid despite their protesting, beat the parent into the ground for a few minutes if they try anything to stop the process and then fine them for wasting the state's time in tracking them down. But seeing as most of them would rather kill their own child in cowardice than put two and two together that they were ever wrong about anything, they'll probably just whimper on the ground about autism and fluoride than go for a gun and some bleach.

Self endangering jackasses deserve nothing but hatred and hostility because they never loving learn without an ever growing mountain of dead kids.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
Christ, once my twins were born and sent to the nicu, I got my whooping cough vaccine that same loving day.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Aeka 2.0 posted:

I got my whooping cough vaccine that same loving day.

I wanted to get an adult whooping cough vaccine when my baby was born (though the baby had no health issues) but the hospital my baby was born in wouldn't do it, my PCP won't do it, the local pharmacies don't have it, and the pediatrician can only treat children. It really should be more widely available for adults, like the flu vaccine that you can just walk into a pharmacy and get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

BarbarianElephant posted:

I wanted to get an adult whooping cough vaccine when my baby was born (though the baby had no health issues) but the hospital my baby was born in wouldn't do it, my PCP won't do it, the local pharmacies don't have it, and the pediatrician can only treat children. It really should be more widely available for adults, like the flu vaccine that you can just walk into a pharmacy and get.

Yikes. Last time I had a physical I just asked the doctor for the TDAP and it was done in minutes. Maybe it's more common around here because California keeps having outbreaks.

• Locked thread