Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde

Generic Octopus posted:

ffs anet kneecapped dungeon rewards because they wanted people to get on the fractal/raid train. They've said as much. It's not about "just" rewards in video games.

That's one thing they delivered.

Reclines Obesily fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Mar 27, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Softface posted:

Something should probably done to, at the very least, shift people away from "five swamps, two molten boss, two daily" fractal rotations, yes.

Before ANet introduced "And at least 1 gold per path!" addition for dungeon rewards I never had a problem finding a group, even without a LFG tool in the dead of night. I understand the economy's changed since then, but what do you do after blowing through fractals, other than log out?
You are aware that they deliberately nerfed both the gold and experience rewards for completing a dungeon path when HoT was released and people are complaining because it's worse than what it was previously, yes? I'm having trouble following the actual point you're trying to make since as orcane said last page you seem to be saying 'suck it up because it used to be worse' and yeah, it did, but it also used to be better which is why people are annoyed and even brought it up.

Softface
Feb 16, 2011

Some things can't be unseen
Yes, and I've definitely acknowledged that fact. I benefited hugely from pre-HoT dungeons, but I also admit that it was a severe imbalance to the in-game economy to generate large amounts of money from nothing, and the dungeon content is further trivialized with elite specs. Maybe it is a bit low right now as opposed to ridiculously high and my perspective is skewed, but outside of blowing through fractals in 45 minutes and farming, what else are you going to do in-game?

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

tower of nightmares returning as a 10 man raid

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
I jut finished catching up on 7500+ posts in this thread and it was a better experience than trying to get all the Verdant Brink cheevos.

Other
Jul 10, 2007

Post it easy!
Anet should have kept Buttbot around, tweaked it to scale down a bit if the player count is a bit light, and added it into the world boss schedule

Laphroaig
Feb 6, 2004

Drinking Smoke
Dinosaur Gum
GW2 has a ton of content in weird places that you have no incentive to ever see or experience.

To get people to do the content, you need to put a reward on it, because for most people just seeing the content isn't enough.

Realistically, if they wanted people to do hearts, they could put up a weekly reward that was like "Go do <number> hearts in <x> zone each week for <reward>". Its not really complicated. But they are trying to actively funnel players into specific content, namely HoT maps / Silverwastes / Fractals / Raids. Certain types of content, like sPVP, generate interest forever among the group that plays them, as long as gradual balance changes are made to keep things interesting. WvW being completely hosed has managed to annihilate a ton of players who enjoyed that content; honestly whoever is in charge of WvW should be fired. Edge of the Mists was a mistake, the new maps were a mistake, and WvW in general feels completely directionless, when originally it was a main draw for GW2. Now I barely even touch WvW.

The problem always seems to have been that ANet devotes a lot of resources to things not much of the playerbase sees; now that the base game is Free to Play this is even more pronounced. The starting zones and leveling areas for free to play players are very sparsely populated. WvW is dead. If you are a Free to Play player, you see a dead game.

I think at this point GW2 is a mature game nearing its end of life for the current expansion (HoT) because while there is a TON of things to do in HoT, not everyone wants to do all of those things.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013

ItBurns posted:

Good. They print money for both me and Anet.

How do you make money of them? i find they take way too long to go up in price.

DISASTER DOVE
Dec 13, 2015

D̷O̶N̴'̴T̷ ̸T̷O̷U̵C̷H̶ ̶M̷E̸
According to this blog post, we will be getting new legendary weapons

Colin Johanson posted:

We aren’t quite ready to go into all the details here, but what I can say is you will see a specific way to build precursor items on your way to a legendary. On top of this, you’ll also see new legendary weapons and new types of legendary gear in 2013. Building your precursor will require a large amount of the new crafting material rewards listed above, 500 in crafting, and likely a combination of other items earned for completing more specific content in the game.

I'm really excited for 2013. Good news just in time for Arus' birthday

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

malhavok posted:

How do you make money of them? i find they take way too long to go up in price.

Not really. If you wait until the last few days to buy them, which is generally the lowest price point, you can get a decent return in 2 weeks. If you can wait a month or more it's just a matter of cycling them in and out whenever you need the money for something (more skins) or are content that they've tapered off.

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

Meatoberfest is in full swing.
What I really don't get is why people are sour about dungeons being rewarding at all. Are you morally obligated to never enter a dungeon and feel you can't compete in the economy when other people run them? Is there some belief that chest training in Silverwastes, zerging a circle around Octovine, lumberjacking in low level zones, etc. are somehow more effort than organizing a dungeon speedrun group? It's always just seemed like people turn into massive children after getting turned down by a meta dungeon group and harbor some grudge against the concept of a dungeon.

By the same logic, raids should be far more rewarding, but only while your group is barely able to get a boss kill, and once everyone's able to oneshot bosses, they should give out even less.

(Except it already works this way due to the 'most recent wing released' buff :grin: )

Adhesive Gamin fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Mar 27, 2016

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

source your quotes

knowonecanknow
Apr 19, 2009

Ambition must be made to counteract ambition.
Is there any interest in having a HoT HP train?

Xenix
Feb 21, 2003

Adhesive Gamin posted:

It's always just seemed like people turn into massive children after getting turned down by a meta dungeon group and harbor some grudge against the concept of a dungeon.

But I can't start my own group Gamin. It takes :effort:

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

knowonecanknow posted:

Is there any interest in having a HoT HP train?

I will 100% join in a HoT HP train or three or four if they can be at times that aren't inhumane to euros. I have a necro, ele, mes and rev all at level 80 with none of it unlocked because I can't really be arsed to try and battle through it alone.

shrach
Jan 10, 2004

daylight ssssaving time
In light of the recent revelations I am starting to wonder if there might be a lost dev team trapped in the basement at anet that has been working on build templates since the first Beta Weekend. All gathered around the code from Guild Wars and wondering what sort of black magic trickery they used back then. Each time they write a new Hello World program it melts the servers and sends the facility into lockdown and they have to start over. Someone should check on them.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

I can run a HP train but warning: it's just my personal get as many hp as possible as quickly as possible and it may involve waiting for pubbies to show up if there's not enough people. Just ask if you see the government hop on I'm usually not doing much anyway

knowonecanknow
Apr 19, 2009

Ambition must be made to counteract ambition.
If there is interested I can mesmer a group through at any point on the weekend.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

shrach posted:

In light of the recent revelations I am starting to wonder if there might be a lost dev team trapped in the basement at anet that has been working on build templates since the first Beta Weekend. All gathered around the code from Guild Wars and wondering what sort of black magic trickery they used back then. Each time they write a new Hello World program it melts the servers and sends the facility into lockdown and they have to start over. Someone should check on them.

Day 1217: The last of the cupcakes are gone. We've resorted to boiling the unsold copies of Ghosts of Ascalon into a greyish soup. It fills our bellies but I fear it won't be long before the inevitable.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007
If anyone is new and/or one of the posters who are depressed because they forgot how to have fun, here's a list of Things to do in Guild Wars 2: It's A Casual MMO Stop Taking It So Goddam Serious Online

Instanced PvE:
Daily Fractals (3 tiers, $$$$ and ascended items)
HoT Story (unique skins and collections)
Story cheevos (unique items and mastery points)
Raids (unique items and mastery xp)
Dungeons (they still exist and you can do them!)

Open-World PvE:
VB/AB/TD/DS Meta events (Cool skins and mastery XP)
HoT Adventures (map currency and mastery XP)
SW/Drytop Farm ($$$ and unique items)
Map Completion (legendary items and mastery XP)
Insights (mastery points and fun puzzles)

PvP:
PvP Season (unique nameplate floater)
Farm reward tracks (skins, $$$$)
Get a literal Mini Tybalt
Get a guy with a cannon or that awful assassin hero from GW1 seriously why would i pick you over Razah what are you smoking

Collections:
PvP Backpiece Collection (unique item)
Fractal Backpiece Collection (unique item)
Specialization Collections (unique weapon skins)
Legendary Collections (unique items)
Herta

Gathering/Merchants:
Daily Pact Supply Network Agent (insane $$$$)
Gathering on rich nodes ($$$$)
Gather in the Guild Hall (unique skins and $$$$)

And plenty more!

F.A.Q.

Q: I play for 16 hours a day because I'm unemployed????
A: No clue! WoW?

central
Dec 13, 2003
sup free

ItBurns posted:

If anyone is new and/or one of the posters who are depressed because they forgot how to have fun, here's a list of Things to do in Guild Wars 2: It's A Casual MMO Stop Taking It So Goddam Serious Online

Instanced PvE:
Daily Fractals (3 tiers, $$$$ and ascended items)
HoT Story (unique skins and collections)
Story cheevos (unique items and mastery points)
Raids (unique items and mastery xp)
Dungeons (they still exist and you can do them!)

Open-World PvE:
VB/AB/TD/DS Meta events (Cool skins and mastery XP)
HoT Adventures (map currency and mastery XP)
SW/Drytop Farm ($$$ and unique items)
Map Completion (legendary items and mastery XP)
Insights (mastery points and fun puzzles)

PvP:
PvP Season (unique nameplate floater)
Farm reward tracks (skins, $$$$)
Get a literal Mini Tybalt
Get a guy with a cannon or that awful assassin hero from GW1 seriously why would i pick you over Razah what are you smoking

Collections:
PvP Backpiece Collection (unique item)
Fractal Backpiece Collection (unique item)
Specialization Collections (unique weapon skins)
Legendary Collections (unique items)
Herta

Gathering/Merchants:
Daily Pact Supply Network Agent (insane $$$$)
Gathering on rich nodes ($$$$)
Gather in the Guild Hall (unique skins and $$$$)

And plenty more!

F.A.Q.

Q: I play for 16 hours a day because I'm unemployed????
A: No clue! WoW?

Nice try, Anet

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

central posted:

Nice try, Anet

1-800-273-8255

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
Oh yeah, most of the pre-HoT established stuff is polished and great. It's just that HoT's underwhelming release and the subsequent content drought has soured a ton of players. It's illogical, but it feels a lot more fun to play existing content when there's something new on the horizon to anticipate. :shrug:

Still in great shape if you're new or play infrequently, not so much if you've been here a while and exhausted much of the content.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

The point isn't that the game is bad or that there's nothing to do. The point is that the game is disappointing and the devs are unreliable.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?
As a returning player is there any point in me buying the expansion before I hit the level cap? I have the base game so don't have to put up with starter account rubbish anyway and would rather not spend money until I know if I'm likely to play for more than a week or two.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

shrach posted:

Before being killed Scarlet broke the fifth wall and the raid wings are all about freeing the dev team IRL

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
The reason it's disappointing is that when it started there was a myriad of fun content that you could do in 15-30 minute sessions. HoT and to a lesser extent the Silverwastes and dungeon changes moved away from that.

I ended up giving up on the game because the remaining short form content was mostly left over from the original game and has got boring.

Pesterchum
Nov 8, 2009

clown car to hell choo choo

Masonity posted:

As a returning player is there any point in me buying the expansion before I hit the level cap? I have the base game so don't have to put up with starter account rubbish anyway and would rather not spend money until I know if I'm likely to play for more than a week or two.

Nope, you should be fine. Masteries, raids, the new zones, specializations and all that aren't going to be something you'll need to deal with until max level. I think the only thing you'll be missing out on is Revenant, if you wanted to play as that class.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Masonity posted:

Nope. You only build mastery XP on characters at cap.

tarbrush posted:

the...content...has got boring.

This is also why I barely play. Yea there's things to do, but I've already done it all a bunch of times (except raids) and can't drum up the enthusiasm anymore.

Pyrok
Jan 31, 2013
I was kinda surprised at how quickly I grew bored of HoT content.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
Man, it sucks that Anet has a dwindling content rate while we're paying this harsh subscription fee.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/looking-ahead-guild-wars-2-in-2013/

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

:911:

Xenix
Feb 21, 2003
Apparently DHs make people so mad in PvP that even after you block them, they are so frothing-at-the-mouth-angry that they have to find another account to yell at you. This was a shortbow ranger in a ruby match tonight:

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Xenix posted:

Apparently DHs make people so mad in PvP that even after you block them, they are so frothing-at-the-mouth-angry that they have to find another account to yell at you. This was a shortbow ranger in a ruby match tonight:

Well to be fair, he was right, you DID take this to the forums

Xenix
Feb 21, 2003
I felt like after hurting his feelings that the least I could do was comply with his simple wish.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

For those not in the PUG raid tonight: I'm pugging the raid again tomorrow, 9pm ET. Reset night!

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual

"We’ll begin regularly adding new skills and traits to the game"

In the years since these words were written, they gave one healing skill to each class. It wasn't until HoT that more skills were added.

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky

Dorkopotamis posted:

"We’ll begin regularly adding new skills and traits to the game"

In the years since these words were written, they gave one healing skill to each class. It wasn't until HoT that more skills were added.

Anet wheres my elite trap for ranger

E: I'll also take the ability to throw a bag of snakes at someone back too

Spooky Bear Ghost fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Mar 28, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS

Kerrrrrrr posted:

It's a decent amount of stuff for an MMO expac, I've seen worse (WoD), but it shouldn't have been 50 fuckin' dollars.
Counterpoint: WoD's zones were actually fun to play through and there's still more content than HoT.

Admittedly that's a pretty low bar, but whatever!

• Locked thread