Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Seconding to avoid AA and United. Emirates is far better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
If I mail one of you my severed head can you take it around a little so I can have a smile and then pitch it into a klong when you get bored / my head starts to reek

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
Flying with American carriers will almost guarantee that your flight will be delayed. Then again, I've also benefited from a couple of price errors with them in the past couple of years. (thank you $400 flight from Canada to Korea)

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I've been flying Delta recently and I swear I'm going to lose a leg to a blood clot sitting in those seats.

Ally McBeal Wiki
Aug 15, 2002

TheFraggot

Atlas Hugged posted:

I've been flying Delta recently and I swear I'm going to lose a leg to a blood clot sitting in those seats.

That's how my grandma went out. Delta killed my nan. gently caress them into the ground.

Nthing don't fly American carriers internationally. They blow. Old shitheap interiors with tiny seats and generally skimpy or bad service. Take the Emirates. Hell I had the choice of AA or JAL, went JAL, and they gave me a completely empty exit row ORD to Tokyo. Fo FREE!

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
The Gasoline And Dynamite
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

hitachi posted:

Anyone have specific airline recommendations? I am travelling to Bangkok with my wife and 2 kids in May. The two we have been looking at, mainly due to price, are Emirates with a layover in Dubai or United with a transfer to All Nippon in Tokyo. Our previous experience was with Korean which was fine but their prices are like double for the time period we are looking at.

Anyone have experience with either of them or recommendations for other airlines to look at?

Emirates is head and shoulders above United and ANA.

The only issue with Emirates is you typically have a long layover at DXB on your return flight to the states. Check the flight schedule and make sure you can handle being stuck in an airport for 9+ hours.

Come over to the airfare thread, there's a bunch of us over there that can help with flight selection and airline chat.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Sheep-Goats posted:

If I mail one of you my severed head can you take it around a little so I can have a smile and then pitch it into a klong when you get bored / my head starts to reek

You can send it to me, but I'll take it to the grubbiest expat bar I can find and leave it sitting on the counter

enjoy the beautiful views :twisted:

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Bardeh posted:

You can send it to me, but I'll take it to the grubbiest expat bar I can find and leave it sitting on the counter

Please don't doxx my Facebook

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

caberham posted:

As someone who has to be on planes all the time. gently caress planes.

The unruly passengers clamoring to leave the plane yet still have checked luggage, bull poo poo security, bull poo poo traffic and trains. gently caress planes.

High speed rail rules by far
Wanna ride that Cambodian high speed rail.

In the year 2080 maybe. :D

hitachi posted:

Anyone have specific airline recommendations? I am travelling to Bangkok with my wife and 2 kids in May. The two we have been looking at, mainly due to price, are Emirates with a layover in Dubai or United with a transfer to All Nippon in Tokyo. Our previous experience was with Korean which was fine but their prices are like double for the time period we are looking at.

Anyone have experience with either of them or recommendations for other airlines to look at?
Personally I never give a poop about which airline I fly, I just go by a mix of price, timing of flying/landing, and the length of the layover(s) (very long layovers suck). I always buy the cheapest economy, and all of them fly either Airbus or Boeing anyway. Same crappy legroom, re-heated food, delays, all that is universal, at least across the 10-15 different airlines I've tried over the past two years, internationally and "locally" within SEA (travelling from Europe).

There are tiny differences. Some have slightly better food, some countries have ruder/nicer/prettier stewardesses, some have a more modern entertainment system, some are more generous with the free alcohol, some give you a tiny bag with toothbrush and socks on board, but meh, I'd rather save money. I don't need the service, and I don't use the entertainment system (bring a tablet).

I also don't care much about which airport I have a layover in. Sure, some are better than other, no doubt about that, but I wouldn't pay as much as $20 to have a layover in Qatar (really good airport) instead of Moscow (not so good), because I don't buy anything there other than a bottle of water, don't need concierge, don't need to sleep there, don't need their service, I just hang around and watch TV series on my tablet while waiting, and I will get safely on my plane regardless.

I've never tried a US airline, though. How bad can it be? :P

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.
If I could give advice to anyone it's "don't have checked baggage".

I lived in Thailand for 5+ months with a small carry on backpack.

If you are bringing suitcases, sorry ur doin it wrong.

Barfolemew
Dec 5, 2011

Non Serviam

Pilsner posted:

Read just 10 posts above yours, most of your questions are answered. :)

There's nothing resembling British pubs in Phili. They have girly bars (don't be scared), KTV bars (girly bars with karaoke), and regular modern bars (some a combined restaurant+bar; restobar) with beers, cocktails and the like. All can be good depending on what you're after.

Make sure you go outside of the big cities if you want to relax in a hammock.

In July, it's generally speaking rainy and typhoon season in SE Asia, but don't let it keep you away. The rain isn't that annoying.

I'd visit Cambodia rather than Laos. More open, more interesting culture, slightly more touristy in a good way. I think Laos is really closed, plus they're commies and you can't even legally touch their women.

Personally I draw the line at about €55 per night for a hotel, but have recently started to prefer getting closer to €40 just for the sake of. 500 Euro per week is €71 per day, sure you can keep it within that depending on the hotel.

Starting in Thailand is great. I'd recommend hopping to Cambodia after that for a week, then try Vietnam, then Phili, then back to Thailand and then home. All are interesting countries in their own merit and you will get a mother of an experience.

Cool thanks, just noticed the earlier post. Still debating where i want to go. I think ill sped a few days in Bangkok and then hop to Cambodia/Laos. 4.5 weeks should be enough to do both. Have done the temple thing in Cambodia already so that will save me few days.

Edit: This time i hope there will be less murders. Last two trips i have stumbled in to a either suicide or murders. First time someone jumped from the airport hotel and thumped near the taxi line... Second time i just had to choose Koh Tao for my destination.

Barfolemew fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Mar 25, 2016

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Negligent posted:

If I could give advice to anyone it's "don't have checked baggage".

I lived in Thailand for 5+ months with a small carry on backpack.

If you are bringing suitcases, sorry ur doin it wrong.

I can't imagine anything I'd need to do in Thailand with more than a small backpack. Except have clean clothes that smell decent.

Kiger_Soze
Feb 1, 2005
Why do people in Thailand like Michigan so much? I saw a bunch of t-shirts and a girl working in a hotel front desk asked where in america i was from? Michigan?

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

There's a large Hmong population in Michigan, that's the only thing I can think of.

hitachi
May 2, 2003

Hail to the King, baby
Thanks for all the advice.

Whip Slagcheek posted:

Emirates is head and shoulders above United and ANA.

The only issue with Emirates is you typically have a long layover at DXB on your return flight to the states. Check the flight schedule and make sure you can handle being stuck in an airport for 9+ hours.

Come over to the airfare thread, there's a bunch of us over there that can help with flight selection and airline chat.

The layover in DXB on both sides was only like an hour and a half. I will check that thread out, thanks.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Kiger_Soze posted:

Why do people in Thailand like Michigan so much? I saw a bunch of t-shirts and a girl working in a hotel front desk asked where in america i was from? Michigan?

Usually when this happens it's because of a TV variety show mentioning the place in the last week or something like that.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Bardeh posted:

:(

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Chantilly Say posted:

I can't imagine anything I'd need to do in Thailand with more than a small backpack. Except have clean clothes that smell decent.

We proved that this wasn't necessary.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.
There are laundries literally everywhere in Thailand that will take your clothes and return them folded neatly and smelling like whatever horrible yet nice smelling chemicals they use there for about $3.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Can confirm. My wife and I would dump off a bag of poo poo every couple days at whatever hole in the wall said "Laundry" on it and $3 and a few hours later I had fresh clothes.

I was pretty amazed when the old lady wouldn't give me any type of receipt tag or number yet still remembered exactly which bags were ours and not losing a single thing.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

You can come and stay with me Sheep Goats. It's smoggy as heck and I have a loud three year old running around the place, but we can eat sardines and drink Leo and ride scooters around in the mountains :cheers:

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Whip Slagcheek posted:

Can confirm. My wife and I would dump off a bag of poo poo every couple days at whatever hole in the wall said "Laundry" on it and $3 and a few hours later I had fresh clothes.

I was pretty amazed when the old lady wouldn't give me any type of receipt tag or number yet still remembered exactly which bags were ours and not losing a single thing.

I did this on Koh Lanta and ended up with a free pair of Calvin Klein boxers two sizes too small :getin:

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

In Bangkok I went to laundromats regularly that kick the poo poo out of anything available in the US for those prices as well. Places with coffee bars and smoothies that look like a high end boutique cafe or something. There were times where I would hang out in one spot near Fashion Island for the entire hour or two until laundry finished.

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004
Mr and Mrs Duck go and stay in a nice hotel.

One night they call room service for some condoms as things are heating up.

The guy arrives and says "do you want me to put it on your bill"

Mr Duck says "what kind of pervert do you think I am?!

QUACK QUACK

air- posted:

For the most part, I do touristy stuff alone so I can dictate the pace. However, I don't like feeling rushed and while I'll have some sort of plan/rough itinerary, I prefer to have room to allow for side trips or detours if say I run into some cool poo poo like some local event I hear about upon arrival or I meet travelers who I click with.

That one hour plane ride also needs to factor in the time to get through security/immigration plus getting to/from the airport to the city. That's usually 2, 3 hours right there.

I really don't understand the hatred for air travel. I have been all over the world to dozens of different airports and clearing security is yet to take me more than ten minutes. I am dumbfounded by people who manage to take any longer than that. And when I'm travelling to and from an airport I take the opportunity to look out the window, even open it if in a taxi, and get a peaceful look at this new place without just strolling outside and being in the hustle and bustle straight away. Speaking of which, I am yet to find one of these magical train stations that manage to be in the very centre of wherever you're going; you're still going to need to get a taxi or shuttle bus. And it may surprise you to learn that when entering a new country you generally have to clear immigration regardless of your mode of travel...

Oh well each to their own!

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

After flying at least twice a month for over 5 years, I've seen my fair share of horror stories.

It's just like anything else that goes sour: just needs one time for something negative to happen and it'll sour your view real quick.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

I generally don't mind moving through airports, I've done it enough that I know the drill and can generally flow through pretty quickly. Immigration at BKK may as well have been something out of Dante's Inferno.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I don't know how they managed it, but Minneapolis totally hosed up their security processes and the wait is astronomical right now.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

duckmaster posted:

Speaking of which, I am yet to find one of these magical train stations that manage to be in the very centre of wherever you're going; you're still going to need to get a taxi or shuttle bus.

There aren't enough of them but they are around. Ones I've been to with excellent rail links with no street travel needed are Frankfurt, Seoul, Tokyo, Osaka, Bangkok, Kuala Lumpur, and Hong Kong.

KidVanguard
Jan 27, 2006

American Diaper

XyrlocShammypants posted:

In Bangkok I went to laundromats regularly that kick the poo poo out of anything available in the US for those prices as well. Places with coffee bars and smoothies that look like a high end boutique cafe or something. There were times where I would hang out in one spot near Fashion Island for the entire hour or two until laundry finished.

I think I live in the condo village you did your laundry in.

LosMein
Feb 15, 2006
Some random thoughts:

I spent a week in the Philippines just 2 weeks ago. 5 days in Malapascua and 48 hours in Manila. Holy poo poo why didn't you guys tell me how awesome the Philippines were? I know you typed words into this forum and I read them, but someone should've shaken me by the shoulders and told me sooner. The beaches were great and everything was cheap. Plus the red-light district in Manila was pretty fun too. The food was... there. I'm already looking forward to the next time I can go back.

I also went back to Surat Thani for a very short 3 day visit. I don't care how much Anthony Bourdain raves about Singaporean food, you just can't beat the food in Thailand and Surat in particular.

My mom and cousin are coming to SE Asia in June for 3 weeks. They got tickets to Bangkok from Miami on Qatar Airlines (3 hour stop in Doha each way) for $860 US round trip each ticket. That's a pretty good deal and hopefully there are still prices like that for anyone that's looking to fly out to this part of the world.

Speaking of which, I'll have 10 days to spend with them. They're going to spend a few days in Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai, but I will go to Siem Reap with them for a few days to check out Angkor Wat. I'm trying to think of other places to go with them for 5 days or so (preferably in Thailand) but I keep getting stumped. They suggested visiting Singapore but I told them it's not really worth it if you only have a few weeks in SE Asia. My mom mentioned the Petronas Towers, but I definitely shot down a trip to KL, especially just for that. I should bring them someplace beachy but my mom isn't the most physically able person. Phuket would probably be a decent compromise but I was never a big fan of that place. Maybe I've just forgotten what it's like to be here for the first time. Any suggestions?

Last, but not least, if anyone wants to grab a drink in Singapore let me know. My schedule sucks, but I'll make some time. Especially you, Caberham and Tytan, if you guys ever come into town. I still haven't forgotten the good times you showed me in HK and PP last year.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I liked Penang a lot even though it was the hottest place on Earth. Five days chilling out there wouldn't be a bad choice. Food, beaches, old architecture.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

KidVanguard posted:

I think I live in the condo village you did your laundry in.

Probably, I own a few condos now around Khan Na Yao and rent them out, and a few in downtown

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Atlas Hugged posted:

I don't know how they managed it, but Minneapolis totally hosed up their security processes and the wait is astronomical right now.
After my wedding here, one of my friends flew back through IAH, which was, at that time, testing whatever newfangled security device they had. I'm sure it's normal now, but some sort of ICE kiosk where you scan your passport and look into a camera and then it basically tells you to carry on or go to the other line for an interview. He was like, "Dude, we've automated racism, it was hilarious. Every single White American got sent straight on and I look over at the line on the other side and it looks like a UN delegation."

I assume we haven't sorted this out yet, heh.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

ReindeerF posted:

After my wedding here, one of my friends flew back through IAH, which was, at that time, testing whatever newfangled security device they had. I'm sure it's normal now, but some sort of ICE kiosk where you scan your passport and look into a camera and then it basically tells you to carry on or go to the other line for an interview. He was like, "Dude, we've automated racism, it was hilarious. Every single White American got sent straight on and I look over at the line on the other side and it looks like a UN delegation."

I've used those devices and I am lily white :P Then again I was traveling with a non-US citizen. I mean, I imagine there are times when a flight from a Eurasian or Central Euro country comes through and it's all white people there.

Shammypants fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Mar 27, 2016

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

ReindeerF posted:

MSPs problem was all about labor. Someone had the brilliant idea to move the checkpoints for "efficiency" reasons but the budget didn't allow for enough staff to actually man them.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I wish SE Asia thread would enter the forums wide competition for Whitest Man. I mean, I don't think we'd take home the gold, but I bet we'd get both silver and bronze.

LosMein
Feb 15, 2006

Grand Fromage posted:

I liked Penang a lot even though it was the hottest place on Earth. Five days chilling out there wouldn't be a bad choice. Food, beaches, old architecture.

Geez I've been there 3 times and it didn't even cross my mind. Of course, that's a really good idea.

Also, this is pretty funny (though not if you live in NST)...
http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1459141534

"There is nothing on there."

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Grand Fromage posted:

Yeah Penang is cool. I got pissed off with it because it was always where I had to go to get my Visas when I was teaching, and it must be the most humid place on the planet, but the food there is amazing, Batu Ferringhi is pretty nice with lots of choices for hotels and it's easy to get to from Georgetown, and there are lots of temples/churches/mosques to visit if that's your thing. There's not much of Fort Cornwallis left, but it's still worth an hour to wander around aswell.

Find some of the Indian restaurants around Little India and try their Thalis 'cos that poo poo is amazing, and dirt cheap.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
Traveling to Leh in India for a month come July. I am decently conversational in Tibetan which is mutually intelligible with Ladakhi, but understand people will also speak English. Planning to go single backpack, it's only a month. I'll be traveling with a Tibetan monk who grew up in India, so probably tents or maybe the floor of a monastery for accommodation.

I'm thinking basically two pair of all clothing items and some bar soap to wash them should suffice generally, yeah?

Does anyone bother with Diamox for altitude? Ladakh is 11.5k up, and highest I've been is 9500 feet, with no symptoms. I'm sure they have oxygen around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I don't have any advice for you but that sounds like a cool rear end trip, makes me wanna go on a rampage a little.