Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Franchescanado posted:

8th Commandment, Thall Shalt Not Steal seems to be a blanket statement.

Though there are modern arguments that the Ten Commandments were written while the author(s) were tripping on shrooms.

there was this dude who claimed that Jesus was a metaphor for people achieving enlightenment via hallucinogenic mushrooms, but i don't think that's quite what you're saying here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

A human heart posted:

there was this dude who claimed that Jesus was a metaphor for people achieving enlightenment via hallucinogenic mushrooms, but i don't think that's quite what you're saying here

That's not what I was saying, but it's the type of theories I'm interested in. I like the idea of myths, culture and religions developing from hallucinations/mental issues/drugs, even if it can only be speculated.

That book sounds interesting. I may check my library for a copy.

krampster2
Jun 26, 2014

Video evidence of the ten commandments being presented: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXeTsWGPT0w

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

The snozzberries taste like snozzberries!
I never had instant ramen in my life before maybe a week ago and now I want it every day. I've always loved pho, but instant ramen is like 70-80 percent as good without having to leave the house.

why have I developed such a shameful shameful desire?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Are you sure you are not pregnant?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Well I guess this falls under "anything."

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Instant ramen is made out of the processed pulp of the books leftover from library and yard sales.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
What's a good place to find sales figures for science fiction books? The Amazon listing mixes in fantasy and horror, and I believe NYT does the same. If I wanted to find the most popular SF books of the past year, or the current top ten sellers, where should I look?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

rotinaj posted:

What's a good place to find sales figures for science fiction books? The Amazon listing mixes in fantasy and horror, and I believe NYT does the same. If I wanted to find the most popular SF books of the past year, or the current top ten sellers, where should I look?

Sales figures are not as perfect as they are in other fields. It's why different publications have different best seller lists. They all have a different definition of what counts.

You are probably not going to find exact sales. I would just research what each publication uses as their metric and decide which one suits your need.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

rotinaj posted:

as we all know, more sales = better book

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

rotinaj posted:

Locus. I'm not sure if it's on the website or you'll have to buy a copy though. Won't have numbers, though.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I'm reading the oft goon mentioned/recommended The Long Ships by Frans G Bengtsson and it's already kind of losing its steam for me now that Orm seems to have actually genuinely converted to Christianity. I preferred they were berserk god-flexible polytheists traveling the world saving Jews, temporarily converting to Islam and helping own Spaniards, having drunken battles and pillaging terrified Christians while priests regarded them with disgust and horror, etc. Now they've got a wise cracking comedy priest to boot, throwing rocks at King Sven while spouting biblical catchphrases. gently caress off. He was more fun when he believed they were scum beyond saving. Christian Scandinavia is lame and boring :(
I preferred the Orm who was Toke's wild bro and willing/sometimes unwitting partner in crime, not the one who'd bully his crew into converting and giving up their loot. I almost kind of wish they'd stayed longer in Muslim Spain since that was a pretty interesting sort of setting to see them in, though I did adore everything after that, it just kind of slowed down once Orm revealed himself as a mopey whiner who gets fooled by priests in England.
I'll stick with it to the end now that it's part three, it's still kinda sorta entertaining, but meh. converting to Christianity sure makes everything blander

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

I'm looking for the thread where they read bad Star Wars book but I kinda lost. Can anyone point me to it, tia

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Christianityyyyyyyyy :byodood:

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Michaellaneous posted:

I'm looking for the thread where they read bad Star Wars book but I kinda lost. Can anyone point me to it, tia

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3296954

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Christianityyyyyyyyy :byodood:
:agreed:
Luckily it's still pretty good right now, especially every time Orm accidentally explains Christian doctrine like "there is no God but God and Christ is his prophet!!!" to humorous results
I just liked when they were curious vikings changing their god depending on wherever the heck they happened to be

pepperoni and keys
Sep 7, 2011

I think about food literally all day every day. It's a thing.

Michaellaneous posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3338643 Here it is

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Anyone remember that site that had a (very elaborate) "get you up to date and everything that happened up to this book" for each book in A Song of Ice and Fire? I'm practically spoilt on a bunch at this point, but thought I'd check out the site, if I can find it, since there's no way I can get back into the books and remember anything that's happened nor who everyone is.

ufarn fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Apr 25, 2016

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

ufarn posted:

Anyone remember that site that had a (very elaborate) "get you up to date and everything that happened up to this book" for each book in A Song of Ice and Fire? I'm practically spoilt on a bunch at this point, but thought I'd check out the site, if I can find it, since there's no way I can get back into the books and remember anything that's happened nor who everyone is.

I use the ASOIAF wiki for that, not sure if it is exactly what you had in mind though.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

elbow posted:

I use the ASOIAF wiki for that, not sure if it is exactly what you had in mind though.
It's not that, but that's my backup if I don't find it. The other site I saw summed up everything up until the chosen book.

Wonder if those recaps are available as ebooks.

gwaarrk
Jun 17, 2008
I just finished reading Hex by Thomas Olde Heuvelt and it was a pretty good creepy horror book, but in the epilogue he says that he changed stuff for the american version including the ending. And so far I can not find the original dutch ending online, does anyone have a link to it or could just spoil it for me?

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

gwaarrk posted:

I just finished reading Hex by Thomas Olde Heuvelt and it was a pretty good creepy horror book, but in the epilogue he says that he changed stuff for the american version including the ending. And so far I can not find the original dutch ending online, does anyone have a link to it or could just spoil it for me?

I came here to post this exact question. I can find nothing and I'm mad about it.

So on the off chance any of you have read this book in Dutch, please tell us what the hell happens in the end

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
I haven't really kept up with book stuff in a while, or even read lately. Are there any decent fantasy or sci fi series out? Preferably anything serialized with good world building, that sort of thing. I'm already aware of all the classics.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

if you haven't read the bas-lag series yet, then that's got a pretty decent world building.

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx
I've enjoyed the Craft Sequence novels. Humans figure out how to do magic (it involves contract laws, and cutting deals with the fabric of reality), murder the gods (naturally), and are trying to figure out what they're going to do now that some of them have Power. Most of them have LGBT characters in prominent roles, and the characters are fleshed out and (some) even get happy endings as opposed to murdered for pathos halfway through act two.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Is there a website somewhere I can follow authors and have it send me an email when they release a new book?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Goodreads?

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Thank you I'm dumb and didn't realize they did that even though I'd been using the site. Probably because I signed up with a throw-away email address I never check.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

Peztopiary posted:

I've enjoyed the Craft Sequence novels. Humans figure out how to do magic (it involves contract laws, and cutting deals with the fabric of reality), murder the gods (naturally), and are trying to figure out what they're going to do now that some of them have Power. Most of them have LGBT characters in prominent roles, and the characters are fleshed out and (some) even get happy endings as opposed to murdered for pathos halfway through act two.

Thanks, that sounds interesting.

Are the kingkiller books worth reading? I've randomly seemed mixed opinions, but with this genre I'm honestly not picky. While not my favorites, I had no problem reading through the Honor Harrington and Forgotten Realms stuff, and even quite liked Peter Hamiltons trash. Is the Kingkiller dude ever gonna release that third book?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

Are the kingkiller books worth reading?

No.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

thanks, glad thats cleared up

e: I see theres a new Fitz book out by Robin Hobb. That solves that for now. Still would appreciate any recommendations, I'll tear through this really fast.

Drunk Driver Dad fucked around with this message at 09:02 on May 4, 2016

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx
The Kingkiller books are pretty much Garystu.txt over what feels like a million pages. If you want to know what Kvothe(?) eats every time he's eating then they're okay. No plot development in the first two, after which I quit. Have you read the New Crobuzon stuff? I like Mieville quite a lot.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
I hadn't read any Mieville yet. I remember thinking it seemed a little strange compared to traditional stuff, but a lot of people seem to like it. So far, starting the Bas Lag books are in my reading order after I finish the new Robin Hobb.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
It probably counts as one of the classics but just to make sure: have you tried the Vlad Taltos books by Steven Brust? They're very entertaining adventurous fantasy and the gradual worldbuilding is pretty great.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

Thanks, that sounds interesting.

Are the kingkiller books worth reading? I've randomly seemed mixed opinions, but with this genre I'm honestly not picky. While not my favorites, I had no problem reading through the Honor Harrington and Forgotten Realms stuff, and even quite liked Peter Hamiltons trash. Is the Kingkiller dude ever gonna release that third book?

1) The Name of the Wind is worth reading, particularly based on your other authors noted. Wise Man's Fear may ruin your memory of the first book though.

2) The third book is never coming out.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

ulmont posted:

1) The Name of the Wind is worth reading

You may be right actually, it is worth reading to get a good sense of the 'scene' today.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I'm looking for a short story that I read in Grade 8 that I was telling students about today, but have been unable to find online.

The details:

- The primary theme of this story is the morality of capital punishment
- The story deals with a future society that puts people into a deadly apartment while their trial takes place, they sit and wait for judgement, unconnected to the trial or the outside world
- The apartment has *something* in it that kills the person when they're found guilty
- The protagonist is found NOT GUILTY in the end, however when they go to open the door to leave, it's revealed the doorknob has a small needle in it which injects and immediately kills the GUILTY person

Anyone know it? I'd like to find an online version and print it off for Monday

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Professor Shark posted:

I'm looking for a short story that I read in Grade 8 that I was telling students about today, but have been unable to find online.

The details:

- The primary theme of this story is the morality of capital punishment
- The story deals with a future society that puts people into a deadly apartment while their trial takes place, they sit and wait for judgement, unconnected to the trial or the outside world
- The apartment has *something* in it that kills the person when they're found guilty
- The protagonist is found NOT GUILTY in the end, however when they go to open the door to leave, it's revealed the doorknob has a small needle in it which injects and immediately kills the GUILTY person

Anyone know it? I'd like to find an online version and print it off for Monday

I haven't read it. It's got that The Lottery (Shriley Jackson) vibe, but it's obviously not it. The doorknob twist is pretty corny to me, but it might work pretty well in the text.

It would help if you say what year you read it first, 2010, 1995? Just for an upper limit on the publishing.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I'd like you to meet...SUGAR BOY

quote:

Sugar-Boy was driving the Cadillac, and it was a pleasure to watch him. Or it would have been if you could detach your imagination from the picture of what near a couple of tons of expensive mechanism looks like after it’s turned turtle three times at eighty and could give you undivided attention to the exhibition of muscular co-ordination, satanic humor, and split-second timing which was Sugar-Boy’s when he whipped around a hat wagon in the face of an oncoming gasoline truck and went through the rapidly diminishing aperture close enough to give the truck driver heart failure with one rear fender and wipe the snot off a mule’s nose with the other. But the Boss loved it. He always sat up front with Sugar-Boy and looked at the speedometer and down the road and grinned to Sugar-Boy after they got through between the mule’s nose and the gasoline truck. And Sugar-Boy’s head would twitch, the way it always did when the words were piling up inside of him and couldn’t get out, and then he start. “The b-b-b-b-b–” he would manage to get out and the saliva would spray from his lips like Flit from a Flit gun. “The b-b-b-b-bas-tud–he seen me c-c-c–” and here he’d spray the inside of the windshield–”c-c-coming.” Sugar-Boy couldn’t talk, but he could express himself when he got his foot on the accelerator. He wouldn’t win any debating contests in high school, but then would ever want to debate with Sugar-Boy. Not anybody who knew him and had seen him do tricks with the.38 Special which rode under his left armpit like a tumor.
No doubt you thought Sugar-Boy was a Negro, from his name. But he wasn’t. He was Irish, from the wrong side of the tracks. He was about five-feet-two, and he was getting bald, though he wasn’t more than twenty-seven or -eight years old, and he wore red ties and under the red tie and his shirt he wore a little Papist medal on a chain, and I always hoped to God it was St. Christopher and that St. Christopher was on the job. His name was O’Sheean, but they called him Sugar-Boy because he ate sugar. Every time he went to a restaurant he took all the cube sugar there was in the bowl. He went around with his pockets stuffed with sugar cubes, and when he took one out to pop into his mouth you saw little pieces of gray lint sticking to it, the kind of lint there always is loose in your pocket, and shreds of tobacco from cigarettes. He’s pop the cube in over the barricade of his twisted black little teeth, and then you’d see the thin little mystic Irish cheeks cave in as he sucked the sugar, so that he looked like an undernourished leprechaun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
hi sugar boy