Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004
Lost my internet. Cancellara couldnīt pull back 8 seconds wtf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
drat, he got 4th after chasing back for 40-50k

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Pocket posted:

like the 68th 2nd place for Sagan lol

In other sports, the truism "but can you name who was 2nd?" holds, but in cycling, you're safe going with Sagan.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
Sagan hasnt peaked yet, he'll win Roubaix

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
Fabian's chase:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3zfJuOkepI

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Is Gent on tv in English anywhere?

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

It's on the Bike channel from two. Virgin 552.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I dont have that, time to brush up on my dutch then.

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004
I guess 'wind' in dutch is 'wind'.

And I think I just heard 'Oss needs a frookin haircut'

Withnail fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Mar 27, 2016

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
Now let's watch this chase fail. This Katvsha guy is in for the ride of his life.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
Quickstep is the best and worst cycling team I've ever seen.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Sagan finally wins!

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

The Curse of the Flying Criosphinx

Paddyb posted:

Quickstep is the best and worst cycling team I've ever seen.

I don't understand it. They built this team for this, and they can't get it done.

Sagz <3

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

The Etixx riders are all tier two, that's why they can't do it. Nice to see Sagan finally get his win, which means we won't have to listen to all this talk about how he hasn't won in the rainbow jersey yet. Fabs looks strong as hell so I can't wait for the Ronde.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Hell I'm glad Sagan won.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Looks like another motorbike has run over a rider. Antoine Demoitie is in intensive care with head injuries.

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004
I would have like to see cancellara try something at 1k like he used to. Happy for Sagan though.

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

Ah well roll the dice enough, I guess I may poo poo talk him less until the tdf at least.

I was out trespassing private land with the road bike did I miss much?

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Pocket posted:

Ah well roll the dice enough, I guess I may poo poo talk him less until the tdf at least.

I was out trespassing private land with the road bike did I miss much?

https://twitter.com/AFP/status/714219261582000128

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Run over because the motorbike had nowhere to go, because it was in a place it shouldn't have been. Maybe they'll actually do something about the number of bikes now.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

serious gaylord posted:

Maybe they'll actually do something about the number of bikes now.

Just saw the headline and came to say this.

What has caused the uptick in lovely driving during races in the last decade?

Box Hill Strangler
Jun 27, 2007

Frozen peas are on special at Woolies! Bargain!
More motos = higher chance of lovely moto-riding and wrong place/wrong time scenarios.

While (it seems) the moto didnt knock him off directly or whatevs, if there were less of them, the chances of a moto being in that position with no where to go are obviously less.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Gibbo posted:

Just saw the headline and came to say this.

What has caused the uptick in lovely driving during races in the last decade?

It seems to be the sheer number. In the last 10km there was a perfect shot of why theres more accidents with bikes. Surrounding the leading 4 you had at least 10 bikes, most of them photographers and ultimately not necessary to be there. Then in between the less than 30 second gap, there was at least another 5. Then finally behind the chasing group there were a few more, on tiny belgian back roads with almost no space to overtake the groups. Just way too many.

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

God drat, only 26 years old.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Well he was hit by only one bike. Havent seen the incident so won't speculate, accidents do happen

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
https://twitter.com/mickrogers/status/714352749027205120/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Lets play guess where the bike rider is.

Dirtanium
Aug 3, 2007

African AIDS cum posted:

Well he was hit by only one bike. Havent seen the incident so won't speculate, accidents do happen

I've thought this, too, but if the moto couldn't stop soon enough or avoid the bike, he was too close. If the driver want good enough, get a better driver. Pretty lovely that nothing seems to have changed after Sagan got hit.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
Mick Rogers was also calling for a speed limit for motos passing bikes (15-20kph faster than the bike). Anyone who's been in a road race knows it's freaky as hell when those officials come flying past you from behind.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

In the ditch?

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

Another young Belgian pro died after a heart attack at the Criterium International.

http://cyclingtips.com/2016/03/belgian-rider-daan-myngheer-dies-after-criterium-international-heart-attack/

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Former pro (banned for life) Phil Zajicek had his arm severed completely in a crash

https://www.gofundme.com/helpphilzajicek

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.

African AIDS cum posted:

Former pro (banned for life) Phil Zajicek had his arm severed completely in a crash

https://www.gofundme.com/helpphilzajicek

well on one hand, that is a brutal, life changing accident, but on the other hand....oh wait, poo poo.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
GET HYPE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Uuc_EYNNsM

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Awesome

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Van Avermaet will probably win tomorrow and that will make me mad as heck.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

He will not. I won't accept it.

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004

African AIDS cum posted:

I was on a group ride with him shortly before this happened. Overcooking blind corners on flagstaff is not smart.

e. Velonews on why Boonen is popular:

1. you can pronounce his name
2. takes cocaine instead of epo (but probably epo also)
3. not puny like Froome
4. devil ears

Withnail fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Apr 2, 2016

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Withnail posted:

I was on a group ride with him shortly before this happened. Overcooking blind corners on flagstaff is not smart.

So they confirmed that he crossed the line and not the truck? I know they were uncertain when it first happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

vikingstrike posted:

So they confirmed that he crossed the line and not the truck? I know they were uncertain when it first happened.

The police said he crossed the line, but other folks on the ride are saying the truck did. The other witnesses haven't spoken publicly yet. I know the corner where it happened, and if you're going even remotely fast, it's very easy to cross that line.